Author Topic: Random Engine and body noises on Interceptor 650  (Read 11225 times)

Haggisman2

• Grease Monkey
  • 2018 Interceptor
Reply #45 on: March 07, 2021, 10:03:22 pm
There are some intermittent, erratic noises on my Interceptor, I try to ignore them. A noticeable change in noises made are well worth investigating,  usually means something wrong. I used to drive a work car with a squeak somewhere behind the dashboard,  solution was to turn up the radio volume.
Previously "Haggisman"

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #46 on: March 07, 2021, 10:27:41 pm
Don't think I've seen any mention that when the fuel tank is empty(ish) it turns into a bit of a sound box which amplifies those ghostly noises. That is true of all bikes, of course.

On my V-Strom and others I stick some 3M sound deadening material to the underside of the tank. I'll do it to the RE the next time I have the tank off. I do it for two reasons, neither of which really matter much. The sound, obviously, but also on those long all day rides it guards the temperature of the gas from the engine heat.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #47 on: March 07, 2021, 10:41:16 pm
A bike with noises from the front, middle and rear? Most people would suggest earplugs but I'm more in favor of loud pipes. ;D After seeing the pictures of crushed exhaust pipes courtesy of the Indian police, the best bet would be to remove the mufflers and use the stock headpipes. The police can't crush what isn't there ;D

sharybold

• Neophyte
Reply #48 on: October 20, 2021, 10:52:44 am
@2wheelsmovethesoul, I cannot explain how glad I am to reply to you, as all the 3 issues you've mentioned are exactly the same I've been experiencing with the Interceptor 650, right from the day1. I've put in-line responses to your points below.

Engine:[/b][/u] Weird ticking noise from the left side of the engine (sometimes from the right as well). The noise seems to be loudest around the rocker/head covers, and is not present all the time. It comes up loud enough to hear while riding at 3000rpms, doesn't change rhythm with throttle, happens randomly on a cold or a warm engine. It's a distinct ticking noise, like that of the second hand of a clock.

RE service can't help me any further (they've said so much to me). Valves and clearances, nuts and bolts have been torqued down and cam chain tensions have been checked. RE says the noise would die down by the time I hit 6000Kms on the odo. I have ridden more than 6k now, and the noise is still here. RE also says they don't want to open up the engine unless necessary, and this noise is a non-point for them. I checked their test-ride sample, and that one, doesn't have the noise- they checked mine after this...and did some things they wouldn't tell me, sound reduced, wasn't gone completely, and now it's back.
--- Same here. The bike was absolutely smooth when I took the delivery, but after about 15 minutes of ride back home, the dreaded tappet noise started.,surprisingly the noise was more prominent from the left cylinder head. Having been experienced in motorcycles and engines during my race and rally days, I could understand that the tappet noise is pretty comon and inevitable in these engines which have the manual valve clearance adjustment with the rocker arms, unlike the hydraulic system with bucket and shim type where the clearance adjusts itself according to the compression variation in the engine. However I sincerely feel that such a beautiful engine should not have it. it is definitely spoiling that awesome rumbling feel of the torque with this nasty tik tik. To make it worse, many other bikes DONT HAVE THIS NOISE AT ALL! Right from the 1st service to the recent 3rd service, I've spoken to numerous RE top mechanics about this and unfortunately there is nothing they can do about it. I did not leave at that, I applied for a "Flyer Check" which is, an engineer from the factory will come and check any issue which is not getting solved. The factory flyer could bring the noise to minimum, but could never eradicate it. I've started to live with it now. It is still uneven, left engine is more prominent. Once my bike is out of warranty, I will do the valve clearance myself, I am doubting a faulty rocker arm though..

Front end:  Braking induces a soft knocking sound. I've read elsewhere on this forum, that this is quite common, and that it could be due to forks not being topped off with fork-oil consistently. RE here said, that this noise comes because of the floating disc up front  :o ??? :-X 
Additionally, I also get a knocking noise accompanied with a slight rattle when I go over gravel-y roads or cobblestoned paths, or similarly rough surfaces.
---- The infamous "Cluck" sound from the forks when dropped in a pot hole. It is resilient and will never get resolved(Unless we change the forks with ohlins or some other) As you said, it is exactly the same response I got from RE service head.,"The sound comes because of the floating discs in the front just like thunderbird.." I mean what? How can a floating type caliper contribute to such a sound? Still thinking. Yes, a friend of mine has tackled this problem with a little bit of rebound and damping adjustment.

Rear end: A strange noise that feels like something is loose and rattling. I can even feel it in my footpegs. It only happens when I go over gravel-y roads, cobblestones, dirt-pack roads and such. Point is, noise only happens when going over minor bumps and rattling broken roads. Never when going over big bumps where the suspension travels significantly. I also put in a piece of foam under the seat to narrow down the source of the sound, as the seat can rattle. However, after numerous attempts, and fixes, the noise is still, there, and riding feels like parts are going to fall off.
-----Right from the day 1 this nasty vibration is felt. You will feel it when you ride slowly on rough road surfaces or soft off-roads..at first I thought the wheel itself might be loose, then I thought there is a major slack in the swingarm. After a lot of research, I found that the culprit is the battery. yes, its the battery which keeps on shaking and bumping and transfers the vibration to the mid and rear end of the bike. However, I am still unable to resolve the issue, as no extra supports and reinforcements are working.

Dear lord of all that is beautiful.....how many times have I raised this issue with RE...only to be met with "I can't gear any abnormal noise", or my favs of- "yeah there's a noise, but it's there on every one of these bikes"; and "yeah this is because of the shocks. You see, new ones don't have the noise, but it comes after a few days of riding", "You need more weight on the suspension for it to work properly, so adjust preload, and it'll go away"

These suggestions don't make much sense to me.

Please HELP!
[/quote]

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #49 on: October 20, 2021, 11:26:44 am

Rear end: A strange noise that feels like something is loose and rattling. I can even feel it in my footpegs. It only happens when I go over gravel-y roads, cobblestones, dirt-pack roads and such. Point is, noise only happens when going over minor bumps and rattling broken roads. Never when going over big bumps where the suspension travels significantly. I also put in a piece of foam under the seat to narrow down the source of the sound, as the seat can rattle. However, after numerous attempts, and fixes, the noise is still, there, and riding feels like parts are going to fall off.
-----Right from the day 1 this nasty vibration is felt. You will feel it when you ride slowly on rough road surfaces or soft off-roads..at first I thought the wheel itself might be loose, then I thought there is a major slack in the swingarm. After a lot of research, I found that the culprit is the battery. yes, its the battery which keeps on shaking and bumping and transfers the vibration to the mid and rear end of the bike. However, I am still unable to resolve the issue, as no extra supports and reinforcements are working.

Dear lord of all that is beautiful.....how many times have I raised this issue with RE...only to be met with "I can't gear any abnormal noise", or my favs of- "yeah there's a noise, but it's there on every one of these bikes"; and "yeah this is because of the shocks. You see, new ones don't have the noise, but it comes after a few days of riding", "You need more weight on the suspension for it to work properly, so adjust preload, and it'll go away"

These suggestions don't make much sense to me.

Please HELP!

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=29068.msg338818#msg338818

cam_machi

• Scooter
Reply #50 on: May 18, 2022, 04:40:31 pm
@2wheelsmovethesoul, I cannot explain how glad I am to reply to you, as all the 3 issues you've mentioned are exactly the same I've been experiencing with the Interceptor 650, right from the day1. I've put in-line responses to your points below.

Engine:[/b][/u] Weird ticking noise from the left side of the engine (sometimes from the right as well). The noise seems to be loudest around the rocker/head covers, and is not present all the time. It comes up loud enough to hear while riding at 3000rpms, doesn't change rhythm with throttle, happens randomly on a cold or a warm engine. It's a distinct ticking noise, like that of the second hand of a clock.

Love to revive an old thread but this is exactly my issue I've been having and I just want to add that I've done the adjustments myself and thought it was my fault that the left side sounded "loose", but yes, my bike makes these exact sounds. Doesn't seem to hurt the performance though, just makes me nervous for it.
First time rider
Continental GT 650

Rudy3

• Smoke and mirrors
  • Scooter
Reply #51 on: May 18, 2022, 08:17:12 pm
  Ear plugs make everything better…don’t leave home without them.  A pack of thirty is maybe two bucks at the local Walmart in pharmacy dept.
Honestly once you start wearing them you won’t ride without them.
Rudy

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #52 on: May 19, 2022, 01:32:10 am
  Ear plugs make everything better…don’t leave home without them.  A pack of thirty is maybe two bucks at the local Walmart in pharmacy dept.
Honestly once you start wearing them you won’t ride without them.
I love hearing my bike! It’s one of the joys of bikes.
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Steve Palmer

• Scooter
  • England
Reply #53 on: May 19, 2022, 09:11:14 am
Only girls wear earplugs.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: May 20, 2022, 12:10:57 am
Only girls wear earplugs.
Only if they are cute
💋
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650