Author Topic: Who’s running the 16 tooth sprocket  (Read 12669 times)

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #60 on: June 24, 2021, 03:55:59 pm
Is this the right part? I see it doesn't mention a rubber cushion but claims compatability with the Intereptor... https://www.carpimoto.com/en-IE/Bike_Royal-Enfield_Interceptor-650/Specific/Brand_ESJOT/Drive-Transmission/Front-Sprockets/41584_50-29055-16S-Front-Sprocket-Esjot-for-Royal-Enfield-Himalayan.htm

(I would probably buy it from Hitchcocks pre-B-word, but too much of a faff now.)

RecoilRob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #61 on: June 24, 2021, 04:19:54 pm
Many...perhaps even most aftermarket sprockets don't have the rubber cushions on them.   The Suzuki SV came with one but all the aftermarket sprockets I've put on over the years didn't have them and worked just fine.   The rubber DOES make them run a wee bit quieter as it cushions the side plate contact and manufacturers are being held to strict noise standards for quite a while now so every little bit of noise they can engineer out they take which leaves them more room to make the engine perform better with less exhaust or intake restrictions.

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #62 on: June 24, 2021, 04:50:21 pm
I think you are correct, I googled the sprocket code No. and it comes up as Royal Enfield OE 16t 525.

That’s the one, same code on mine - annoying they can’t get the package label right. Oh well, learnt a bunch of stuff about sprocket and chain conventions I didn’t need to know.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 04:53:11 pm by Hoiho »

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #63 on: June 24, 2021, 04:58:45 pm
Many...perhaps even most aftermarket sprockets don't have the rubber cushions on them.   The Suzuki SV came with one but all the aftermarket sprockets I've put on over the years didn't have them and worked just fine.   The rubber DOES make them run a wee bit quieter as it cushions the side plate contact and manufacturers are being held to strict noise standards for quite a while now so every little bit of noise they can engineer out they take which leaves them more room to make the engine perform better with less exhaust or intake restrictions.

That was one of the interesting things I learnt about sprockets in today’s internet meanderings.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: June 24, 2021, 09:01:03 pm
Yes the cushions are just part of the process to get past the noise tests
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

Breezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2019 Interceptor, 2021 R NineT
Reply #65 on: June 25, 2021, 12:11:41 pm

Sound advice!  ;D (Sorry)

Maimboy

• Scooter
Reply #66 on: June 25, 2021, 05:51:29 pm
I've upgraded to the 16 tooth sprocket and yes, I like it a lot - no longer am I constantly looking for a 7th gear.  It has taken just a little fizz out of it's acceleration though, so if I spent all my time racing around city centres I'd leave it on 15.  Would also not consider it if I was carrying pillions.

I couldn't find any info online about how to actually change the sprocket, so here's a how-to in a single sentence: the chain can stay on but you need to loosen the rear wheel right off to get enough slack, the gear selector needs to come off to allow the sprocket cover to be removed (so mark the position with paint/permanent marker), and the 30mm bolt needs torqueing to 145Nm afterwards.

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #67 on: June 26, 2021, 07:15:01 am
I've upgraded to the 16 tooth sprocket and yes, I like it a lot - no longer am I constantly looking for a 7th gear.  It has taken just a little fizz out of it's acceleration though, so if I spent all my time racing around city centres I'd leave it on 15.  Would also not consider it if I was carrying pillions.

I couldn't find any info online about how to actually change the sprocket, so here's a how-to in a single sentence: the chain can stay on but you need to loosen the rear wheel right off to get enough slack, the gear selector needs to come off to allow the sprocket cover to be removed (so mark the position with paint/permanent marker), and the 30mm bolt needs torqueing to 145Nm afterwards.

I found that the slightly taller 2nd aided in acceleration in real terms.
Certainly didn’t perceive any lack of fizz. In my opinion.
When I’m riding quick, I like to keep the engine humming around 4000-4500, and wind out as required.For boulevard stuff, that puts the bike in a really responsive state, and it all comes together nicely.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 07:22:45 am by Starpeve »
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

hadujorganic

• Grease Monkey
  • Bethesda, MD, USA
Reply #68 on: June 26, 2021, 11:34:38 am
Reading through this topic, it doesn't seem like there are any serious downsides to fitting the 16T sprocket. Now I'm tempted to at least try and see for myself.

Has anyone sourced a compatible 16T sprocket from a vendor other than Hitchcock's?
Bethesda, MD  "Home Of Its Residents"

2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2021 SYM Fiddle III 200i
2019 Trek Checkpoint
1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #69 on: June 26, 2021, 11:40:53 am
Reading through this topic, it doesn't seem like there are any serious downsides to fitting the 16T sprocket. Now I'm tempted to at least try and see for myself.

Has anyone sourced a compatible 16T sprocket from a vendor other than Hitchcock's?

Got mine locally  - MTX from White Power Sports.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #70 on: June 26, 2021, 11:44:54 am
It does seem many like the 16 teeth.  However it definitively reduces acceleration for the same reason that your bike pulls harder in 2nd than it does in 6th.  You make the gearing taller, acceleration decreases. So if you spend a bunch of time on the highway and want a more relaxed feel all good. If you think your bike is somehow quicker because you made the gearing taller then I’m a Nigerian Prince and I’ve got a proposal for you.
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #71 on: June 26, 2021, 03:17:06 pm
It does seem many like the 16 teeth.  However it definitively reduces acceleration for the same reason that your bike pulls harder in 2nd than it does in 6th.  You make the gearing taller, acceleration decreases. So if you spend a bunch of time on the highway and want a more relaxed feel all good. If you think your bike is somehow quicker because you made the gearing taller then I’m a Nigerian Prince and I’ve got a proposal for you.
Maybe you can wait till you’ve actually fitted the taller front sprocket to have an opinion? It’s a little more complicated than taller/ slower///shorter quicker.
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: June 26, 2021, 03:33:18 pm
Maybe you can wait till you’ve actually fitted the taller front sprocket to have an opinion? It’s a little more complicated than taller/ slower///shorter quicker.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but as anyone that's ever ridden a dirt tracker, where a one tooth difference on the rear sprocket, let alone the front, might make the difference between winning and being the first loser your remark that "it's a little more complicated etc.) Is right on the mark.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 04:19:50 pm by zimmemr »

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #73 on: June 26, 2021, 03:36:11 pm

+1 Why all the blather about such a simple change?  I'm much more concerned with what color oil filter is best. ::)

supercub

• Grease Monkey
Reply #74 on: June 26, 2021, 03:48:17 pm
Hitchcock's has the 16T for e20, I would try it when I get my bike, I am a light rider, solo.
2021 Conti GT650 "Ice Queen"
1965 Honda CB160
2016 Honda CB500
2019 Suzuki TU250
Other project bikes