Author Topic: Slipping clutch on my 59 350 Clipper.  (Read 1213 times)

bikenutmart

• Scooter
on: December 15, 2020, 10:49:33 am
Hi, Wondered if anyone has any ideas, the clutch on my 59 350 clipper is slipping quite badly, cant even really kick it over.
The clutch plates (3) look new, with plenty of meat on them, the springs feel fine, ive adjusted the pushrod to just touching the pressure plate, then backed off a half turn, and the cable is adjusted to give a little free play at the lever, the clutch does seem quite heavy, not sure if this is normal? Im using ATF in the chaincase, the engine no. is 1066. Any suggestions gratefully recieved Martin.

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 03:01:48 pm
New clutch plates, or old ones? If they're old, they're probably done for.

uhu

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 09:32:43 am
no damage on basket or clutch centre?

grumbern

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 04:52:10 pm
You could also fit the 3-plate clutch with four of the 5-plate.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 08:00:48 pm
If it had sat for a long while with the wrong grade oil those fiber clutch plates could just be oil-logged and/or glazed I suppose, or the springs just a bit tired. I'd wager on the former as being more likely. For all you know a previous owner may have poured old Fish 'n Chips oil in there, but without the requisite brown sauce and vinegar to give it some "bite".

Accordingly, you can either replace the fiber clutch plates or the whole pack, and maybe the springs besides, which shouldn't cost a fortune from our Forum hosts, or, you could first try the time honored "Kitty Litter Cure", as described here: https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php?topic=26923.msg308813#msg308813.

That kitty litter would be my first move, followed by a very light roughing up of the fiber plates with some very fine sandpaper, steel wool or even a fresh 3M style pot scrubber pad, also really lubing up that clutch cable and ensuring its kink-free run. A hanging-sticky-contorted cable can cause all sorts of wacky clutch symptoms.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 08:26:37 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 01:53:41 am
I had a triumph 650 like that, stood it up for a year and every time l kicked it over the clutch slipped, only way l dealt with it was a rebuild of clutch new plates springs, not that expensive the parts are cheap it did the trick.

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 08:14:04 pm
Of course one thing to consider you can't tell if the springs are good by feel you have to measure them they could be decades old.