Author Topic: AEW 201 SLIP ONS  (Read 6124 times)

agagliardi

• Grease Monkey
on: November 06, 2020, 06:55:16 pm
What a difference with 2 mods- AEW  retro "frankfurter" style exhaust and the DNA air filter.  These slip-ons in comparison make the OEM exhaust look large and bulbous. For anyone who is considering the AEW 201- go for it, they look great. A little extra bark with the decibel reducer in, I would imagine they are loud with  out. The DNA filter gives a great intake sound. With both mods a very satisfying acceleration experience. and a cool retro look
1988 Super Magna(Disabled), 2000 Harley Softail, 2004 Hayabusa, 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor, 2004 Corvette, 2019 Indian scout

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 08:02:04 pm
What a difference with 2 mods- AEW  retro "frankfurter" style exhaust and the DNA air filter.  These slip-ons in comparison make the OEM exhaust look large and bulbous. For anyone who is considering the AEW 201- go for it, they look great. A little extra bark with the decibel reducer in, I would imagine they are loud with  out. The DNA filter gives a great intake sound. With both mods a very satisfying acceleration experience. and a cool retro look
+1
And they don't need the gasket dance or reducers, etc. They fit onto the header pipe exactly.
Style is style and I love that there are so many. For me my choice metric is weight, flow, saddle bag space and style in that order. That said, the pea shooter style also aids my fondness of the sleeper-bike. (don't know if that is a worldwide term)
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 12:18:16 am
+1
And they don't need the gasket dance or reducers, etc. They fit onto the header pipe exactly.
Style is style and I love that there are so many. For me my choice metric is weight, flow, saddle bag space and style in that order. That said, the pea shooter style also aids my fondness of the sleeper-bike. (don't know if that is a worldwide term)
Those look great! ;D

Breaker Express

• Grease Monkey
  • Ocoee, FL USA
Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 12:24:53 am
+1

What did you do with the clip for the cover?
I really like the cans but I am waiting for the Hitchcock headers.
2020 Baker Express

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 12:53:08 am
What did you do with the clip for the cover?
I really like the cans but I am waiting for the Hitchcock headers.
Nothing. I decided to disappear it from my mind. (at least for now)
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Panard

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 02:43:27 am
+1
Do you have a link to check these out?

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 04:00:18 am

agagliardi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 11:06:52 am
 Yes there is a welded loop for the clips that attach to the cosmetic cover, which becomes exposed with any slip on that interferes with the cover. These slip-ons look so good that you overlook the imperfections of the OEM headers,- the clip as well as the silver paint over the welds on the headers. The only solution would be to go full system. The endless pursuit of perfection. I personally prefer to call it a day an just ride!
1988 Super Magna(Disabled), 2000 Harley Softail, 2004 Hayabusa, 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor, 2004 Corvette, 2019 Indian scout

Liberty Blacksmith

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 05:09:38 pm

Like the fact they give you much more space for saddle bags or hard bags. At the current exchange rate (74 rupees=$1USD) they are about $230, not bad at all. That's for the stainless steel version, the chromed steel ones are less expensive.

Thaipai

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 11:22:35 am
Yes there is a welded loop for the clips that attach to the cosmetic cover, which becomes exposed with any slip on that interferes with the cover. These slip-ons look so good that you overlook the imperfections of the OEM headers,- the clip as well as the silver paint over the welds on the headers. The only solution would be to go full system. The endless pursuit of perfection. I personally prefer to call it a day an just ride!
The newer version of these have a very tidy extension which covers the clip and makes it almost look like a full system.
My system is the same as yours and I tried not to notice the header connection but eventually it got to me.
I used the original cover with a slight modification to cover the joint, the clip was cut off.
I used my hands to press the ends of the cover into a shape very close to the new slip on curve and secured it in position by screwing a stainless steel radiator hose clamp to the cover and around the exhaust pipe.
Not perfect but its close enough.
1980 Suzuki GS 1000S  2003 Ducati Monster 800  2019 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 09:52:38 pm
The newer version of these have a very tidy extension which covers the clip and makes it almost look like a full system.
My system is the same as yours and I tried not to notice the header connection but eventually it got to me.
I used the original cover with a slight modification to cover the joint, the clip was cut off.
I used my hands to press the ends of the cover into a shape very close to the new slip on curve and secured it in position by screwing a stainless steel radiator hose clamp to the cover and around the exhaust pipe.
Not perfect but its close enough.
Lots of mufflers come with covers. The S&S have the cleanest design. The picture you show are not AEW TE 201s.

Thaipai

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 11:01:27 am
Lots of mufflers come with covers. The S&S have the cleanest design. The picture you show are not AEW TE 201s.
My mistake, I mixed up the numbers, I've shown the TE 102 slipons
1980 Suzuki GS 1000S  2003 Ducati Monster 800  2019 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650

ace30

• Scooter
EW
Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 04:56:47 pm
hello there, yes indeed, these aew 201 look great and allow more room for bags. The question I was asking myself is whether they have any incidence in the running of the engine? More/less power and torque?  I asked  AEW whether they had carried out any dyno test and they said no... Do you know if anyone has? or  simply noticed any changes ?
 Appel de phare from France

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 05:56:48 pm
hello there, yes indeed, these aew 201 look great and allow more room for bags. The question I was asking myself is whether they have any incidence in the running of the engine? More/less power and torque?  I asked  AEW whether they had carried out any dyno test and they said no... Do you know if anyone has? or  simply noticed any changes ?
 Appel de phare from France
I have those. I don't have a dyno.
If it matters, I first did the change to the S&S air cleaner. (better)
Then added the BoosterPlug. (better)
Then switched from OEM silencers to the 201 (better)
My engine runs perfectly. Low end, mid-range, top end.
I have a fixed set of roads that I have used for 15 years to compare any changes on all my motorcycles.
Better!

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #14 on: November 15, 2020, 11:14:50 pm
I have those. I don't have a dyno.
If it matters, I first did the change to the S&S air cleaner. (better)
Then added the BoosterPlug. (better)
Then switched from OEM silencers to the 201 (better)
My engine runs perfectly. Low end, mid-range, top end.
I have a fixed set of roads that I have used for 15 years to compare any changes on all my motorcycles.
Better!

I also have this combo (dna filter) and it does purr along nicely at all speeds.
Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.
greetings from Brisbane, Australia