Author Topic: Tec bikes 2 into 1  (Read 26413 times)

Voun

• Camembert électrique
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor
Reply #135 on: June 15, 2021, 10:08:42 pm
Tyres are Dunlop roadsmart 3, 140/70 and 110/80.

No problem with the tubes, as they are not in the list of recommended tires ?
I had the Roadsmart 2 on my Integra and the improvement from the original Bridgestones was huge ! In temperature in very short distance, great handling and and very very  safe on the wet. I was about to go for a pair of Michelin in a few monthes but your post rejoiced me !

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #136 on: June 15, 2021, 10:28:24 pm
No problem with the tubes, as they are not in the list of recommended tires ?
I had the Roadsmart 2 on my Integra and the improvement from the original Bridgestones was huge ! In temperature in very short distance, great handling and and very very  safe on the wet. I was about to go for a pair of Michelin in a few monthes but your post rejoiced me !

Our rims are rated for those tyre sizes - a significant improvement over stock sizes, in my experience.

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #137 on: June 15, 2021, 10:42:23 pm
Glad to hear it was such a simple fix! I've got the horns out of the way (swapped for a smaller louder unit mounted under the tank) so there's lots of space up in the front there. When fitting my TEC system a couple of days ago I noticed how easily the breather hose can slip off. Nothing a carefully placed cable tie can't take care of.

Do let us know what you end up doing in regards to that gasket. I had the same misgivings when fitting the system - not sure why it wasn't a slip & spring joint like all the others? Seems the weak point in the whole line. The 2-1 is so close to being amazing, just a couple of small points let it down:

1. The aforementioned graphite gasket and hose clamp join.
2. The warning in the instructions not to run it without the baffle as this may cause damage (why even provide a removable baffle if it shouldn't be removed???)
3. The muffler-midpipe join has a spring hook on the muffler side, and nothing on the midpipe side. And a note in the instructions that a spring is not required. Why the hook on one side then? And an extra spring in the kit? Surely it would just be prudent to have another spring there just in case?

I haven't been able to do any riding (covid lockdown), just a couple of heat cycles. It seems to be sealing well, and there is a little bit of colour coming into the headers. Time will tell though, once I put some proper miles on it. Fingers crossed I don't have a blown gasket like some others!

curious does anyone know if any of this has been addressed by TEC yet? this post was from almost a year ago. i tried perusing the rest of this thread but didnt really catch any updates that TEC might have done to improve their setup. right now the QA sounds a little erratic with ill fitting parts and inability to remove the baffle without damaging things? seems weird to me.

but i also dont want to get some random no name 2-1 setup from ebay.

the s&s 2-1 looks...bad.

and im reading you probably need to remove the exhaust to access the oil filter? i'm guessing that would be the same issue with the s&s 2-1 as well.

(dont have the bike yet but may be picking it up this weekend...)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 10:59:30 pm by iblastoff »

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #138 on: June 15, 2021, 11:36:31 pm
I changed the oil filter while I still had the TEC 2-1 mounted.  There was no interference with the exhaust at all.

I ran the 2-1 for over 3000 miles using their 6 hole quiet baffle.  Functionally the system was flawless.

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #139 on: June 15, 2021, 11:47:12 pm
I changed the oil filter while I still had the TEC 2-1 mounted.  There was no interference with the exhaust at all.

I ran the 2-1 for over 3000 miles using their 6 hole quiet baffle.  Functionally the system was flawless.

good to know! thanks! the dealer has the S&S dual cans for 1100$ (canadian). im wondering if should just do that or eventually order the TEC 2 1 when they come into stock. should save a bit of money and even more weight savings. i'll have to ask how that affects warranty though....

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #140 on: June 16, 2021, 12:22:06 am
Because S&S has some sort of marketing arrangement with RE there might not be any warranty conflict but it would be a good idea to check with RE on the issue.

It's worthwhile to cultivate a good relationship with the dealer service manager because it can sometimes eliminate warranty hassles over an aftermarket part as long as it's not related directly to the warranty claim. 

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #141 on: June 16, 2021, 03:55:16 am

Here're the bits and bobs TEC included with the 2-1 pipes. No holes in the baffle 🤔 I guess mine would be quieter still.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j75yV19xR6LySwQm7

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #142 on: June 16, 2021, 12:09:57 pm
Because S&S has some sort of marketing arrangement with RE there might not be any warranty conflict but it would be a good idea to check with RE on the issue.

It's worthwhile to cultivate a good relationship with the dealer service manager because it can sometimes eliminate warranty hassles over an aftermarket part as long as it's not related directly to the warranty claim.

+1 ;)

Jack Straw

• Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #143 on: June 16, 2021, 02:30:22 pm
Here're the bits and bobs TEC included with the 2-1 pipes. No holes in the baffle 🤔 I guess mine would be quieter still.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j75yV19xR6LySwQm7

I received the same parts minus the zip ties.   The baffle in your photo is the standard item.  The so-called "quiet" baffle is a little longer with six holes and it's an optional part which I ordered from TEC England.

LucasT

• Neophyte
Reply #144 on: September 15, 2021, 07:02:03 pm
Hi Guys, just a question! Somebody has changed the oil filter with the S&S 2:1 race only mounted??? If yes, is it difficult to do that?

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #145 on: September 16, 2021, 04:52:03 am
Hi Guys, just a question! Somebody has changed the oil filter with the S&S 2:1 race only mounted??? If yes, is it difficult to do that?
Welcome to the forum, Lucas. Viewing angles aren't great in this video, but looks like it'd be a tight squeeze. You could post your query in their comment section. I'm sure they'd respond: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUSH0fNhKtM

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #146 on: September 16, 2021, 05:50:21 am
Welcome to the forum, Lucas. Viewing angles aren't great in this video, but looks like it'd be a tight squeeze. You could post your query in their comment section. I'm sure they'd respond: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUSH0fNhKtM

I just had a brief look at that video and caught the guy refer to the "absolutely beautiful" welds on the exhaust. Ah, no. I've seen nicer looking welds on my cars exhaust system.

Ciao
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #147 on: September 16, 2021, 07:06:04 am
lol! perhaps it's a steam punk or rat rod aesthetic that we neat freaks just can't appreciate 🤯🤓🤨

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #148 on: September 16, 2021, 07:40:14 am
lol! perhaps it's a steam punk or rat rod aesthetic that we neat freaks just can't appreciate 🤯🤓🤨
Well there is that, lol. I only mention it because non technical or not mechanically inclined people might think that's the yardstick for nice welding. It isn't. The 2 images her are. The first Is an Akropovic Titanium system which has identical quality welding to the Akra system on my Ducati and the second is a very nice hand TIG weld on my Indian built AEW mufflers just to prove it doesn't need to be some expensive high end exhaust system to be nicely welded. BTW the Akra welds are all hand welds done by a group of dedicated lady welders at the factory. It's at least as good as any Titanium duct welding I've seen in aviation.

Ciao   
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

Intybe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #149 on: September 17, 2021, 01:14:05 am
Those ladies must have very steady hands: I'm overwhelmed with nervous excitement just contemplating their good company 🤠