Author Topic: Tec bikes 2 into 1  (Read 26456 times)

Couchy

• Scooter
on: August 22, 2020, 09:03:33 pm
Fitted the 2 into 1 today, already got dna filter and no cover. First thing is the weight loss it’s noticeable even getting bike off side stand. I let bike tick over for 15 mins to allegedly reset ecu then went for a ride, wow is the best comment it’s transformed the power delivery, more midrange and revs freely to the limiter. On a long downhill it hits the limiter in top gear. Still got baffle in and I’m hoping it passes noise for a Trackday Monday.
Measured the weight of my bike with half a tank of fuel, I’ve got the exhaust, lithium battery and taken off grab rail pegs and toolkit, weight was 186kg. Lost somewhere between 15-20kg and it’s noticeable.

Untitled by Tony H, on Flickr

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 09:26:33 pm
10% weight loss is most definitely noticeable. Glad it's working out as well as you'd hoped!
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 12:12:12 am
Lost somewhere between 15-20kg and it’s noticeable.
Good looking system.
With there be other RE 650s at the trackday? Let us know how it went.

Who was that famous English car guy who said, the path to more power is "add lightness"?
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 12:39:04 am
Good looking system.
With there be other RE 650s at the trackday? Let us know how it went.

Who was that famous English car guy who said, the path to more power is "add lightness"?
Colin Chapman of Lotus, speaking of his early Lotus 7 .
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 01:16:35 am
yeah, that's nice.   good for you.  I think the performance and weight savings well equals the price.  congrats

What are the tires? 

Couchy

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 08:10:48 am
Tyres are Dunlop roadsmart 3, 140/70 and 110/80. Standard ones went straight in the bin.
Taking it on track is a bit of fun, I’ve raced for 10 years or so and done 300+ Trackdays on modern stuff but this has more appeal these days 👍

AtomicMagpye

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 09:02:33 am
Continental looks great...

I fitted the system to mine on Friday - unlike everyone else I had a bit of a struggle and ended up breaking the clamp that attaches the left side upper header to the next bit - oh and partially knackering the graphite piece.

Anyhow after a further struggle, some head scratching and two jubilee clips it's on with no leaks I can feel.

I would put the above down to my hamfisted spannering rather than the exhaust design itself... Happy to help anyone with queries on how not to do it.

When the Tec guys are back from their holidays I'll see if they will sell me a new clamp and graphite sleeve ... I'll then remove it and refit.

Oh and yes it's far stronger in the midrange now - just more perky all round, not too noisy with baffle in - comes with a warning on running it with baffle out - not too worried by that as baffle is staying in.

Rich Badspanner
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 09:06:53 am by AtomicMagpye »
Hampshire UK.

"So it goes"

interbanana

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 11:52:44 am
Looks good. Impressive bit of kit.  Any pics of the other side of the bike? I'm curious to see what it looks like exhaustless?

AtomicMagpye

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 12:01:23 pm
Looks good. Impressive bit of kit.  Any pics of the other side of the bike? I'm curious to see what it looks like exhaustless?
Hampshire UK.

"So it goes"

Returned to New BMW

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 12:14:04 pm
More photos of Tec 2in1 Stinger exhaust

Couchy

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 08:09:00 pm
Tbh the clamp and gasket isn’t the best idea, I’ll get mine modified to get rid of it. Rest of system is nice but not sure what to do on the left side as the mounting is left doing nothing

mwmosser

• Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Austin, TX, USA
Reply #11 on: August 23, 2020, 08:20:43 pm
Tyres are Dunlop roadsmart 3, 140/70 and 110/80. Standard ones went straight in the bin.

Shame we can't get that rear size here (at least via RevZilla). I can get the front there. Will have to check to see if I can order the rear somewhere. I hear great things about those Dunlops.
2019 Interceptor 650 Mark Three

AtomicMagpye

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 09:48:14 pm
Tbh the clamp and gasket isn’t the best idea, I’ll get mine modified to get rid of it. Rest of system is nice but not sure what to do on the left side as the mounting is left doing nothing

I know what you mean - wonder what it would look like without that rear triangle piece....  Angle grinder?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 09:52:06 pm by AtomicMagpye »
Hampshire UK.

"So it goes"

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #13 on: August 23, 2020, 11:10:38 pm

Anyhow after a further struggle, some head scratching and two jubilee clips it's on with no leaks I can feel.

I had to google that UK expression "jubilee clamp". It's what we normally just call a hose clamp or screw type hose clamp if we are being fancy. Jubilee sounds like a celebration  ;D

edshreds

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: August 24, 2020, 01:41:27 am
Shame we can't get that rear size here (at least via RevZilla). I can get the front there. Will have to check to see if I can order the rear somewhere. I hear great things about those Dunlops.

Do let us know if you find anywhere! I'm keen to swap on some stickier rubber for summer, either the Dunlops (if purchasable in Aus) or just some proper Pirelli Phantoms in the slightly fatter 150/70 size. The OEM ones are garbage in my opinion, but I've heard great things about the aftermarket ones.

Seems getting sizes in Australia is a bit of a nightmare though :(

AtomicMagpye - you mentioned the pipes come with a warning about running without the baffle. Is that just a noise warning or something worse? My set should arrive this week so I'm loving all this pre-install information!