Author Topic: New Classic 500?  (Read 7604 times)

AK Mike

• Scooter
on: August 22, 2019, 09:33:53 pm
Greetings all,
I saw some chat on-line about RE developing a new Classic 500.  This seems to be a real overhaul, with a new engine... not just cosmetic add-ons.  I wonder if any of you good folks have heard any details?

Thanks

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 12:04:03 am
Not me.

Just some wild speculation on an Indian web site.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 06:13:12 pm
I've seen a couple of articles that discuss Royal Enfield's skunkwork plans.

Here's one:  https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/auto/two-wheelers-three-wheelers/royal-enfields-upcoming-jack-queen-and-king/12-new-bikes-in-five-years/slideshow/65606191.cms

It appears to me at this point:

Project Codename "J" will be a redesign of the singles.
  codename "P" refers to development of the existing twins
  codename "Q" was discussed as being another bike in the ~650cc range
  codename "K"  was discussed as being a 900cc machine.

Maybe Q or K will turn out to be something to do with that V Twin bobber concept bike that was drawing so much attention at the bike shows last season?

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 10:36:02 pm
I hope RE isn't overdoing it a bit.  I imagine that many older Indians are going to hate to see the classic Bullet go to be replaced by new and strange new motorcycles.   ???
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 11:13:46 pm
I haven't witnessed it personally, but there's plenty of evidence on the internet that there were no shortage of harsh words spoken about the AVL engine 15 years ago, and they are still discussing whether the UCE engines have a proper thump, or whether an injector can truly be trusted to deliver fuel.

On the other hand, to the average observer, differences between the various engines and the various RE bike models are probably subtle indeed.  Ask a die hard Harley guy whether the Pan, Shovel, EVO, or Twin Cam is a better engine and you will hear some very strong opinions.  They are all air cooled, 45 degree, long stroke V-twins to me.

I think RE can be trusted to serve their market wisely.  It certainly appears that the new twins are being well received critically, although the majority of sales in India are still the 350s.  My guess would be that this codename J "redesign" is directed towards two goals, 1) meeting BS-VI emissions standards, and 2) reducing production costs.  The existing RE bikes, as inexpensive as they seem to the US market, are still premium priced in India.  To get a substantial part of the transportation market, RE needs to cut the price of a basic bike by something like 30%.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 02:22:50 am
I had to laugh. You have no idea how many times I stood in front of a new model year RE and called it a new model because it had a new color of the paint. RE has continued the trend. The Twin etc. have finally appeared and broke the mold.

I have seen a fair amount of speculation that RE is going to develop a 250cc for the domestic market. It is meant to help them gain flagging market share in India. It could be completely wrong. They have introduced a less expensive 350 to help regain sales.

I think the twin and Himalian are home runs. The Twin especially finally puts RE in a space where it can compete with a bike that is OK for US highways. On top of that, it seems to be getting universally good reviews. It will put them on the map here.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com