Author Topic: Is the new Twin closer than we think?  (Read 9936 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 10:23:24 pm
I continue to really like the Interceptor, but Royal Enfield is really taking a risk selling those bikes on the "overseas" markets the first year. They must have some reason to believe that all of the bugs have been worked out of that completely new model.  But I sure wouldn't buy a brand new BMW model until it has been though at least a year of sales and ownership experience in Europe. They always come out of the factory half-baked the first year and their customers suffer as "beta testers".  A year or two later they finally have all of the bugs worked out and then the model will be pretty reliable - until they do another redesign again.  :o

Maybe RE can do better than BMW, but I don't think their past track record gives me a lot of confidence that they will get everything right the first year, especially when it will be owned by European and U.S. riders who will not give the bike a break when they get their hands on it.   If it was me, I would have sold it only in India, like they did with the Himalayan, and let the chips fall where they may there.  ;)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 12:46:17 am
800 pounds is US $1069.50.
6000 pounds is US $8,021.28.
  If it's going to Europe, maybe there's an early chance of some grey market for the US.
  Is that a spin-on oil filter on the front of the crankcase?
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 12:53:38 am
One thing to remember is that prices advertised in Europe or much of the world except the US are "on road" prices. In other words dealer prep,tax, license ready to ride out of showroom. We will get it for a lower price here - but after it is out the door who knows.

Perhaps this will be a first for RE with the introduction of the new model. I for one would never buy the first year of any brand of motorcycle or car.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 01:33:22 am
Yes. That is the oil filter in the front! Much easier replacement I hope.

Interceptor price is expected to be 6-6.5K in the US per folks at IMS.....will see what shows up eventually.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

paulie

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 05:01:08 am
Motociclo here in Sydney, where I bought my CGT, are taking deposits for the twins, and offering a “special price”. Also saying they won’t be here until May at the earliest. I’m not going to rush, as much as I’d like one.

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 12:03:51 pm
I continue to really like the Interceptor, but Royal Enfield is really taking a risk selling those bikes on the "overseas" markets the first year. They must have some reason to believe that all of the bugs have been worked out of that completely new model.  But I sure wouldn't buy a brand new BMW model until it has been though at least a year of sales and ownership experience in Europe. They always come out of the factory half-baked the first year and their customers suffer as "beta testers".  A year or two later they finally have all of the bugs worked out and then the model will be pretty reliable - until they do another redesign again.  :o

Maybe RE can do better than BMW, but I don't think their past track record gives me a lot of confidence that they will get everything right the first year, especially when it will be owned by European and U.S. riders who will not give the bike a break when they get their hands on it.   If it was me, I would have sold it only in India, like they did with the Himalayan, and let the chips fall where they may there.  ;)

My sentiments exactly; the best BMWs are invariably the outgoing models. I suspect RE bikes are the same; the 2017 Euro IV spec C5 is finally the bike it should have been in 2009. Buy one while you can; I doubt they'll survive Euro V and the equivalent Indian standard scheduled for 2020. The CGT already appears to be history...
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 02:20:02 pm
Yes. That is the oil filter in the front! Much easier replacement I hope.

Interceptor price is expected to be 6-6.5K in the US per folks at IMS.....will see what shows up eventually.

Much cheaper too — maybe. If is an automotive cross over, it will be cheaper and easier to source.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 02:40:47 pm
Much cheaper too — maybe. If is an automotive cross over, it will be cheaper and easier to source.

I certainly hope so.
In this day and age of the internet, the concept of holding customers hostage to overpriced parts from only the limited number of dealers as some form of extortion is nothing  more than an unwanted anachronism.
A forward thinking company needs to keep up with the times, not chain the customers to some antiquated idea such as dedicated dealer areas, especially when the dealer network is this sparse.

These days, people expect rapid shipping of items to their homes at rock bottom prices. Forcing them to drive 300 miles to over-pay for an oil filter is not a winning formula.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

Rattlebattle

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 03:23:57 pm
It should be easier to replace than the antiquated one on the UCE models too, though in the UK at least it looks like it might get covered in road filth unless a fender extender is fitted. I've fitted one on just about every new bike I've bought in the last 10 years at least, except the C5 which is the only model I know, apart from the B5, that has fully valanced mudguards (fenders). Let's hope the oil filter is a standard size too; I'm fed up of buying a different filter removal tool every time I change bikes. At least when Wildbill changes his bikes he can keep his toolkit, at least for the most part.... :) Presumably also the service intervals will be more in keeping with modern practice. I can't see why they shouldn't be as the engine is a completely modern design and the days of hand building them have gone. The new R&D centre in Leicestershire, near the Hinckley Triumph factory, is state-of-the-art having CAD, 3D printing, dynes and all the other kit you'd expect to see in a modern design centre. The way I see it anything from the twins onward should be pretty good for the type of bike. I don't think the Himalayan was designed here so that might be more of a lottery. Whatever, I'll definitely test them all come late spring.
Sic se res habet: fractum est...

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 04:24:55 pm
10,000 mile (or once a year) oil changes like the current Triumph Twins would certainly be welcome and an indication of belief in the quality of the product by RE itself.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 10:32:16 pm
Speaking of parts prices, I just read that the new 2018 retro-styled Kawasaki 900RS has an accessory center stand (it doesn't come with one) that sells for $400.  :o They also offer a chrome lifting grab handle that attaches to the frame, such is standard on my B5, for an additional $150.  :o  At those prices they are really sticking it to their customers.  >:(

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 10:41:16 pm
It should be easier to replace than the antiquated one on the UCE models too, though in the UK at least it looks like it might get covered in road filth unless a fender extender is fitted. I've fitted one on just about every new bike I've bought in the last 10 years at least, except the C5 which is the only model I know, apart from the B5, that has fully valanced mudguards (fenders). Let's hope the oil filter is a standard size too; I'm fed up of buying a different filter removal tool every time I change bikes. At least when Wildbill changes his bikes he can keep his toolkit, at least for the most part.... :) Presumably also the service intervals will be more in keeping with modern practice. I can't see why they shouldn't be as the engine is a completely modern design and the days of hand building them have gone. The new R&D centre in Leicestershire, near the Hinckley Triumph factory, is state-of-the-art having CAD, 3D printing, dynes and all the other kit you'd expect to see in a modern design centre. The way I see it anything from the twins onward should be pretty good for the type of bike. I don't think the Himalayan was designed here so that might be more of a lottery. Whatever, I'll definitely test them all come late spring.

Looks like RE heard our gripes about short fenders. The UK site shows the version they're getting in. 8) Sure hope the ones heading to North America ain't any different. ::)
Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 11:36:13 pm
It looks like they bolted on a plastic fender extender, such as is available for a lot of motorcycles on the accessory aftermarket.

Fragman

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 11:59:17 pm
True enough, but it's an improvement. Nice, full fender chrome or polished alloys
should pop up soon after these units get out into general circulation. ;)
Nothing better than a nice putt on an RE.
It's a serene way to travel at an unhurried pace.

-2013 Classic Maroon-