Author Topic: Low mileage UCE bikes  (Read 5771 times)

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 09:34:10 am
I know the original owner of the one I mentioned.  I'm guessing poor impulse control.  If you know anyone looking for a bike Royal Enfield of Fort Worth supposedly has 15 new and used on the floor and will ship if needed.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 10:24:15 pm
Hey Squire (that could be the start of a Monty Python sketch). I notice you have a CBR250R, that's a bike that falls into the beginners/starter bike category.When those came out there was some discussion on the forum about how good they were etc. Since early summer i have noticed an uptick of very low mileage used ones on Craig's List. I suspect they are sold for the same reasons as UCE En fields and most people really didn't know what they were buying or expectations were way too high.
I would personally like to give the CBR a go since performance is not my bag. But i would have to toss that exhaust for something at least manly! ;D ;D ;D

squire

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 10:56:45 pm
I would personally like to give the CBR a go since performance is not my bag. But i would have to toss that exhaust for something at least manly! ;D ;D ;D

I'm just getting too old (72) to push around and ride 500 pound plus bikes. I've sold all my large bikes with 650s being the largest I have. I sold my Suzuki Bandit 1250 and picked up a CBR250 and thoroughly enjoy it. It does offer all the attributes of a beginner bike but a lot of non-beginners are buying them. They're a bargain for what you get, low maintenance, and get great mileage.....similar to our REs actually. They have a very active forum and yes, a LOT of new riders move on to other (larger) bikes very quickly. The older riders like myself tend to hold on to them, I can't recall one of the older forum members selling their CBR. As for the exhaust yes it sucks but what new bike doesn't with the catalytic converter (s) stuffed inside. I'm not replacing my CBRs exhaust but I have a Hitchcock EFI on the way for my RE, now that one really sucks in my opinion. Try a CBR, you'll like it.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 05:24:52 am
It is a bit shocking to walk down the rows of bikes at Sturgis and look at the odometers. Very few miles on many of them. In the US the percentage of high mileage riders is fairly low. For most of us it is a leisure activity and not a basic form of transportation.

A used RE can be a very good value. If you want to be really involved with the care and feeding of your bike an old Iron barrel might be good. They usually have the lowest price. With an iron barrel how it was broken in, ridden and cared for before you buy it is critical. Much less so for the AVL or Lean Burn. If you find a UCE model, it is pretty hard to hurt one. Very careful break-in is not nearly as important as the iron barrel, they are more forgiving of poor maintenance etc.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com