Author Topic: Sounds like piston Slap! - Need advice  (Read 5995 times)

Cappy

• Scooter
on: June 30, 2011, 05:38:53 pm
My 06 Iron Barrel (850 miles) has developed a clanking sound in addition to the usual noises.  Seems to be after it has been running for about 5 minutes.  I don't hear it at idle but it seems to start clanking (tapping) when I rev it a little, then stops again at idle.
I adjusted the valves ( a little on the tight side) and that doesn't seem to be the problem.
It's also not detonation or "ping".  I don't think it sounds like bottom end "thud".  In fifth gear, the noise stops when I'm slowing down  - off the throttle - at a little under 40 MPH (indicated).  It comes and goes when I dound shift through the gears to stop.

What else could be causing this sound?  Also, what would cause this "slapping" noise on a bike with 850 miles?  Wrist pin? 

I don't notice the sound at cruising speed but perhaps it's hidden by wind noise.  I may remove the head and take a look.  Can a rocker arm make that noise?

Any help is certainly appreciated.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 05:47:03 pm
     Before you start dis-assembling the engine you should check the stuff that is easier and less expensive to check. Check chains. A loose drive or primary chain can make a clank that sounds like an engine noise. A broken muffler mount, or a baffle broken loose inside the muffler can also be tricky. Check for anything loose or broken. Check that your push rods are straight. If they are not you will not be able to properly adjust them and they will make noise. Ana, of course, make sure there is oil in the engine.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 06:03:18 pm
I had piston slap before I changed the piston when I had the top end apart a couple of months ago. It was only apparent when the engine was cold and had something of the character of knocking two coconut half shells together.

My engine is now reasonably quiet when cold. I get a lot of push rod clatter when it is half warmed up, which quietens down somewhat once the push rods have caught up with the head and barrel in getting hot.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 09:09:17 pm
If an engine is self destructing...one will have traces of "stuff" in the oil. Change the oil and filter. If it is just oil...good...if you cave odd creatures lurking in it... :o
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 09:28:23 pm
One of my most indispensible tools is a stethoscope.You can most ly isolate where the sound you don't like is coming from,area wise.A long screwdriver will serve but a stethoscope for auto use is way better.I do not have experience with Enfield knocks or clatters other than what is normal,but what Vince says is good advise.Do everything you can to discover the cause short of tare down.Not to be in denial but rather not to do something that is not necessary.

RBHoge

• Old Bill
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 12:14:51 pm
I would check the valve adjustment first.  8) The next likely suspect would be the Primary chain.  ;) Then again, a broken fender or chain guard stay (brace) is also a persistant source of clanging.  ::) The fender stays are notorious for fatiguing and breaking. I have had both happen on "Old Bill". The fender stay went at about 1,000 miles.
Not to worry though,  ;D CMW has a reasonably priced OEM replacement, and a set which are much more strongly made. Both items are quite reasonable.
Bob.
1972 Honda CB 450 Rufus, Murdered
1978 Triumph T-140 E, Sadly gone
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe Iron head, " Old Bill"
1971 Honda CB-100,"Kikuchiyo"-traded
O Day 20 Sailboat "Tempus Fugative"
1992 Mazda Miata "Lady Murisaki"250,00miles!
Too many Toys, what else is retirement for?

MotoJ

• Ride Fast and Take Chances!
  • Grease Monkey
  • Poverty Rider
Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 12:38:55 pm
For days before my pedestrian slicer finally fell off and I ran over it I was convinced my motor was about to blow up at at certain RPMs. Once it was gone the motor sounded much better!
1978 BMW R80/7- Hacked!
1999 Enfield India 500 Bullet
1977 HD XLH 1000
1998 KLR 250
1956 IMZ M72m with sidecar

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 07:01:13 pm
The suggestions above are good, but one thing you don't want is the valves adjusted "Slightly Tight." This can burn your valves. Better a hair loose than tight.
But that won't be the cause of you clanking noise. Assuming your hearing is good enough to detect an engine noise as opposed to the front fender, my first guess would be the small end of the rod. Or as you said, piston slap. As you try to detect the spot, if it's coming from the bottom end, it's probably a main bearing. If you ultimately have to tear down the top end, pull the timing cover off and check the seal at the end of the crank. Very important to oil pressure and engine life.
Bare
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 07:14:07 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

MotoJ

• Ride Fast and Take Chances!
  • Grease Monkey
  • Poverty Rider
Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 08:10:23 pm
It's probably something simple and non-motor related if you only have 850 miles clocked. These things shake off parts like a dog after a bath if you haven't gone over it with a wrench and some loctite. 'Course, you could have got a lemon, but it's unlikely.
1978 BMW R80/7- Hacked!
1999 Enfield India 500 Bullet
1977 HD XLH 1000
1998 KLR 250
1956 IMZ M72m with sidecar

Monkee

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: February 15, 2024, 11:47:12 am
Have you found out the source of the slapping noise? I too noticed this on my C5 exact same conditions as yours at idle no noise. but when reving or at load you hear it. i suspect its the PAV valve? since i removed the hoses and blocked them off. I tightened the exhaust bolts and the slapping is still there

Raymond

• Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: February 15, 2024, 01:16:43 pm
Have you found out the source of the slapping noise?

Well, I hope so after thirteen and a half years.   :)
In the garage:
2007 Kawasaki W800 SE Polly
1978 Yamaha XS650 Miss November
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe

allanfox

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: February 15, 2024, 01:38:54 pm
Well, I hope so after thirteen and a half years.   :)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #12 on: February 15, 2024, 05:41:48 pm
As others here say, carefully investigate the chassis for odd noise creation.

Piston slap usually lessens a bit as the engine heats up. The aluminium piston grows faster than the cylinder as it has less cooling ability. As it grows it "tightens up" and flops about less. A high silicon or forged piston does that less and resists becoming barrel-shaped more. Cheap insurance.

Valve train noise increases with temperature on these machines. The valves loosen up a bit as the engine gets hotter, a nice feature. Just like the RE engineers from the 1930's knew their business. Nothing is gained by running valves tight.

Valve train noise can come from the cam followers/lifters or the rockers. Look hard at both. Cam follower wear inside the timing chest is usually accompanied by cam nose wear. New parts fix this $$$. A worn lifter can cause erratic valve clearance.

Lifters rotate in operation. A "pocket" worn into the lifter face will change the valve clearance depending on where the pocket was when the clearance is set. Check clearances several times after setting, kicking thru 6-8 times between. If it doesn't change likely the lifters are OK.

The top end has to come off to replace the lifters/followers. A good time to fit a proper piston.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #13 on: February 15, 2024, 08:29:59 pm
My 350 Bullet has made some worrying mechanical noises over the 20,000 miles and six years I’ve owned it. The first thing I check is the exhaust system. My latest fix of what sounded to be an impending death rattle was to stretch out the diameter of the pipe where it slides into the head casting to make it a slightly better fit. A clue that is was the exhaust was popping back on the overrun. All sorted.
Paul W.

Monkee

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: February 16, 2024, 09:21:06 am
As others here say, carefully investigate the chassis for odd noise creation.

Piston slap usually lessens a bit as the engine heats up. The aluminium piston grows faster than the cylinder as it has less cooling ability. As it grows it "tightens up" and flops about less. A high silicon or forged piston does that less and resists becoming barrel-shaped more. Cheap insurance.

Valve train noise increases with temperature on these machines. The valves loosen up a bit as the engine gets hotter, a nice feature. Just like the RE engineers from the 1930's knew their business. Nothing is gained by running valves tight.

Valve train noise can come from the cam followers/lifters or the rockers. Look hard at both. Cam follower wear inside the timing chest is usually accompanied by cam nose wear. New parts fix this $$$. A worn lifter can cause erratic valve clearance.

Lifters rotate in operation. A "pocket" worn into the lifter face will change the valve clearance depending on where the pocket was when the clearance is set. Check clearances several times after setting, kicking thru 6-8 times between. If it doesn't change likely the lifters are OK.

The top end has to come off to replace the lifters/followers. A good time to fit a proper piston.

Thanks! the sound im hearing isn't a ticking and its most prominent in the front part of the engine towards the left hand side. it kind of sounds like an exhaust leak. Do you have a link for the good pistons? i figure on the next major service i'll have to take thea rocker covers off and check the valves.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: February 17, 2024, 04:27:38 pm
Hitchcock's has all the bits. They fit and are just a couple days away. The forged bits are in "accessories". I have one, it replaced an OEM unit that had "soft seized" on a gradual uphill on a coolish day. You don't have to think about the pistons personal comfort anymore with a forged unit.

OEM pistons are notoriously soft and have a dismaying variety of failure modes. The forged units bring the guts of the machine into the 21st century just like the modern machines. This particular piston is for the stock 6.5/1 CR as it retains the easy-going, easy-starting properties of the basic Bullet. There is a 8.5/1 version as well, but there are many practical reasons to stay with the stock CR. If you live in a summertime "hot" area (>105F/40C) maybe an alloy cylinder as well would be wise.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/23260?cont_shop=Shop-Engine-Upgrades&Model=500%20Bullet%20Indian%20Export%20Spec

PART No. 90204
PISTON COMPLETE, STANDARD, FORGED, 84mm (Omega/Accralite)
£160.00

Product Details

This is an English made forged piston which is a straight replacement for the standard piston. Made by Omega, it gives a very strong and robust piston without changing the standard compression ratio of approximately 6.5:1 It is supplied with rings, gudgeon pin and circlips.
Size = 84mm (STD)

Suitable for all 500 Bullets from 1953 EXCEPT: Electra X and EFI models. See ''Fitting Guide'' for details.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Esa

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: February 17, 2024, 05:05:04 pm
Please note; a forged piston is not a straight replacement to standard piston, it always requires honing of cylinder to bigger clearance.

Monkee

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: February 18, 2024, 10:28:11 am
Hitchcock's has all the bits. They fit and are just a couple days away. The forged bits are in "accessories". I have one, it replaced an OEM unit that had "soft seized" on a gradual uphill on a coolish day. You don't have to think about the pistons personal comfort anymore with a forged unit.

OEM pistons are notoriously soft and have a dismaying variety of failure modes. The forged units bring the guts of the machine into the 21st century just like the modern machines. This particular piston is for the stock 6.5/1 CR as it retains the easy-going, easy-starting properties of the basic Bullet. There is a 8.5/1 version as well, but there are many practical reasons to stay with the stock CR. If you live in a summertime "hot" area (>105F/40C) maybe an alloy cylinder as well would be wise.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/23260?cont_shop=Shop-Engine-Upgrades&Model=500%20Bullet%20Indian%20Export%20Spec

PART No. 90204
£160.00

Product Details

This is an English made forged piston which is a straight replacement for the standard piston. Made by Omega, it gives a very strong and robust piston without changing the standard compression ratio of approximately 6.5:1 It is supplied with rings, gudgeon pin and circlips.
Size = 84mm (STD)

Suitable for all 500 Bullets from 1953 EXCEPT: Electra X and EFI models. See ''Fitting Guide'' for details.

where i live the ambient temp ranges from 30c to 44c . The alloy cylinder and forged piston do sound like a good investment, though the ones you linked appear to be for the iron barrels?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 10:35:52 am by Monkee »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 18, 2024, 09:04:51 pm
Yuppers, Yron Barrle bits for the Yron Barrle section... ;D

The newer machines (UCE & up) already have decent alloy barrels and high silicon(?) pistons. Good high viscosity oil (20W50) in the summer seems to be all they need.

The OEM IB pistons can shuck the top, drop a skirt or stick when they feel abused. A forged or modern high silicon piston can save a lot of grief. The alloy barrels are definitely noisier though.