Author Topic: quick detach rear wheel  (Read 4538 times)

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
on: February 06, 2020, 05:55:05 pm
Never was clear on this but does the UCE bikes have that detail?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 05:58:54 pm
Mine does - don't know about later ones with disc brake and ABS.

Frank

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 07:30:50 pm
Yours is the version I am referring to. This is the only bike I have ever had with that feature and I can't believe more bikes were not built that way. It's incredibly civilized. Add the tilting fender and you can fix a flat or change a tire in a tux .
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 07:44:56 pm
My MZ's had it, I'm pretty sure Jawa did too.
As did some BSA's, Nortons I'm not sure about Triumph.

I remember a regular contributor to Motorcycle Sport swapped his MZ 250 for a 400 Hondamatc then berated his old love - the MZ- as being agricultural and unsophisticated.
Then told the tale about how it took him 3 hours [I think it was?] to get the rear wheel of his Honda out and back in after a puncture.

Frank

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 08:03:56 pm
So we still don't know about the disc models though. I would hate to think the bean counters did away with it. How about the tilting fenders? Are they still around?

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 01:41:46 am
My MZ's had it, I'm pretty sure Jawa did too.
As did some BSA's, Nortons I'm not sure about Triumph.

I remember a regular contributor to Motorcycle Sport swapped his MZ 250 for a 400 Hondamatc then berated his old love - the MZ- as being agricultural and unsophisticated.
Then told the tale about how it took him 3 hours [I think it was?] to get the rear wheel of his Honda out and back in after a puncture.

Frank

They might not win any beauty contests, but I've long sincerely admired those old MZ TS250s since I lived in the UK in the mid-to-late '70s, where they were FAR more common than here. Back then British motorcycle learners were limited for the first year to 250cc machines until they could take their full riding test. Only then could they ride anything bigger. Their very low price (under 500 Pounds, or about 1,000 Dollars brand new) for what was most often seen as a "temporary bike" made them pretty popular yonder in the '70s. It wasn't unusual for one to swap owners 5 times in as many years, often for piddling sums, a round of beer or as straightup gifts or loaners. Unlike the other more "stylish" Japanese 250s perhaps more popular with learners at the time, like those damned Yamaha RD250 "Organ Donor Specials", those frumpy MZs typically just seemed to hold up way better to the neglect and straight up abuse that such "temporary bikes" usually suffered. Tough little commie bastards, they were. Shame they seem to have sort of morphed into "Vintage Collectibles" to be had only for stupid money nowadays...at least here in the States. Otherwise, I'd give one a good home in a heartbeat.

"Was? Gefaellt dir das 'Rad etwa nicht? Zu holprig, vielleicht?"
("What? You don't like the ride, maybe? Perhaps too bumpy?")
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 04:31:28 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 02:01:27 am
I bought a CZ 175 in 1972 new for $750. The shifter doubled as the kickstarter. At least I think that's how it happened. Iv'e hit my head a few times since then.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #7 on: February 07, 2020, 08:07:12 am
I bought a CZ 175 in 1972 new for $750. The shifter doubled as the kickstarter.
Yes, that was a 'feature' of Jawa / CZ . Many thought it was a brilliant idea - I thought it was clunky, but to each his own.
The gear lever also operated the clutch.

Frank

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 12:36:33 pm
Perhaps it was a works bike? and the reason the guy in Prague was so keen to get it?

I once had a short ride on an old MZ ISDT works bike - not the same bikes which were available to the public.

Frank

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 12:53:07 pm
OK, but does the tilting rear fender still exist?

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 07, 2020, 03:01:51 pm
Weird, my 2005E has the lifting fender. Now I'm really confused.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 03:22:43 pm
But then mine is an Indian home market bike so the mudguards might be completely different?
Paul W.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 04:16:50 pm

RAMPANT THREAD DRIFT!!!

Yeah, sorry about going all "off-road" there. Something about those thoroughly fugly yet praiseworthy MZs just triggers me. Getting a little more back on track, while my '05 "Military" does have that sensible split-axle design, so that one needn't disengage the brake, the chain from sprocket, and all that other nonsense just to remove the wheel, it seems to lack that flip-style fender. Not that one would necessarily make my life any easier, since mine has that whole metal ammo-can-style panniers rig attached.

While it may not be much help on the road, a while back I described one of those Harbor Freight Lifts that will really help make that regular tire changing chore much easier. I cannot vouch for other models, but it really fits the bill for my "Iron Belly." Currently $99, it goes on sale with a coupon for $69 every year or so. If you're the kind of guy that would stoop over to pick up 30 bucks on the sidewalk, you can check the Harbor Freight Coupon Database  for it right here and just bookmark it.

Apart from easy rear wheel removal, another thoughtful maintenance feature of the old model Bullets that seems to have gone where the woodbine twineth  on later ones is the ease whereby one can change one's fork oil: a screw in the bottom to drain and a screw in the top to fill. That's it. Perhaps there were some technical or engineering reasons why they abandoned this very sensible arrangement, but as far as I'm concerned, it's just yet another proof that "new and improved" ain't always the case.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 04:22:20 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 04:45:30 pm
Yeah, got that lift with the removable rear floor. It makes tire changes easy. And if I ever get a flat in my garage it will be very helpful. The floppy fender and easy axle are for on the road problems. Small spoons, spare tube, and co2 type inflator had me riding again in 1 hour. And I wasn't a greasy mess. It's hard to imagine that most motorcycles don't come with a way to cope with this not too uncommon problem. Do the tubeless machines at least come with a plug kit? How about a center stand ? I know my Duc's didn't. I had a 1966 R69S that not only had tire irons but a hand pump mounted bicycle style to the frame. Those are the Irons in my bullet, and all that was left of that wonderful(last) ride.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 06:13:06 pm
My 2004 Bullet doesn't have a bendy fender. Even if it did, I'd probably have to remove the factory luggage rack in order to use it.
My Electra doesn't have it. Its the bikes which have the tubular rear mudguard stays which have the removable section.
But if you have a dual seat, luggage rack or pannier frames, then you'd have to remove those before removing the mudguard.

Frank
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 06:45:08 pm by Boxerman »

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 06:34:21 pm
I hear that, I have a hindge on my solidly mounted solo seat for ease of use.  I guess if you have trunks, panniers, etc. you can just lay the bike it on it's side in a pinch. In my experience flats rarely occur in favorable conditions. But it's a good feeling to know you can deal with it.

Tarnand

• Andrew
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: February 08, 2020, 09:49:43 pm
Sorry for going along with rampant thread drift!  :-[

My 2004 Bullet doesn't have a bendy fender. Even if it did, I'd probably have to remove the factory luggage rack in order to use it.

I think almost all IB Bullets have this feature.  Did you see this viedeo?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KkOgpuAQDU

The luggage rack may actually complicate things a little bit.  Depends on how the rack is attached.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 03:15:16 am by Tarnand »
2005 KS (ex ES) Bullet 500cc
1994 FLSTC
1983 FXRS

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: February 08, 2020, 10:19:07 pm
Paulw,I agree with Tarnand. Unless you have some special one- off model, you have the hinge fender. An interesting detail is the way the fasteners do not have to be fully undone. Just enough to clear the slot in the fender stay.

Seipgam

• BTSCA
  • Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: February 09, 2020, 05:31:50 am
Yeah, the flip up rear guard looks nice and quick in that video.
But I presume most of us have a dual seat which has to be removed first, not difficult of course, but a bit of extra time involved.

Geoff.
1954 Francis Barnett, Kestrel 66 122cc
1995 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
1988 Jawa 638, 350cc

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: February 09, 2020, 08:50:38 am
I can’t see how the mudguard hinges without removing the standard fit luggage rack and the dual seat. The guard is all in one piece and the front is bolted to the rear face of the gearbox. But when I want to remove the wheel, all I have to do is put the bike on the centre stand, lean the bike over and put a one inch thick block under each of the feet. The QD wheel then comes out from under the rear of the guard.
Paul W.

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #20 on: February 09, 2020, 10:04:31 am
I can’t see how the mudguard hinges without removing the standard fit luggage rack and the dual seat.

It doesn't, you would need to remove the seat and rack. When this design was conceived, the bikes had single saddles and the rack [if fitted] was bolted to the mudguard.
The guard is all in one piece and the front is bolted to the rear face of the gearbox.
On my 350, and according to the manual, the bit which bolts to the rear of the gearbox is a seperate section.

But when I want to remove the wheel, all I have to do is put the bike on the centre stand, lean the bike over and put a one inch thick block under each of the feet. The QD wheel then comes out from under the rear of the guard.
I have to do this too, as the Electra doesn't have the detachable guard.

Frank

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: February 09, 2020, 01:39:39 pm
I watched the video then went and checked my bike.

I'd need to loosen 6 bolts/nuts and remove the dual seat, the rear two supports being bolted to the frame. The lower bolts also hold the footrest support brackets = TFD.

Lean the bike over and put a 4"x4" fence post cap under each centre stand foot = dead easy and no further tools needed.

As we used to say in the military, there's no need to practice bleeding.  :)
Paul W.

Tarnand

• Andrew
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: February 10, 2020, 05:17:06 pm
Here is another video.  I think that if you used a piece of 6x6 4x4 nstead of 2x4 you probably would not need to tilt the bike while removing the wheel.  I found this video about 10 years ago when I tried to remove the rear wheel for tire change.  Worked fine fo me even though I also used a piece of 2x4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJL8pBXBp3Y

[added later]
Sorry Paul W - I did not read your whole post and that is apparently info that you did not need.  Anyway, it was rather obvious.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 10:10:17 pm by Tarnand »
1994 FLSTC
1983 FXRS

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: February 10, 2020, 07:06:38 pm
The Crocs should have been a red flag. And that's all I'm going to say about that........

Boxerman

• Grease Monkey
  • Lancashire UK
Reply #24 on: February 10, 2020, 10:23:24 pm
Here is another video.
I've seen this character's videos before, and they were enough to convince me that his example is not one to follow.

Frank

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: February 10, 2020, 11:27:37 pm
There’s no doubt the “expert” in that video was trying to teach folk how to do something that he’d never actually done before.
Paul W.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: February 10, 2020, 11:56:16 pm
Why do people do that?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #27 on: February 11, 2020, 02:19:58 pm
Here is another video.  I think that if you used a piece of 6x6 4x4 nstead of 2x4 you probably would not need to tilt the bike while removing the wheel.  I found this video about 10 years ago when I tried to remove the rear wheel for tire change.  Worked fine fo me even though I also used a piece of 2x4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJL8pBXBp3Y

I just could not watch this guy and it's not just those shoes. He probably rides in shorts, too.

Judgemental? Yeah. Can I help it? No.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: February 11, 2020, 02:53:48 pm
I can't get my head around all this lack of love for the Hoohoohoblin. After all, here's a guy who took the time to document his own Voyage of Enfield Discovery  for the benefit of others. Personally, I've found his stuff useful, and he's welcome to ride with me anytime...And I couldn't care less what footwear he dons.

Great for Cornering

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: February 11, 2020, 03:39:55 pm
Was the Expert even aware of the tilting fender?  Any of you guys ever get a flat out on the road with your Enfield?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 03:43:30 pm by cyrusb »

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: February 11, 2020, 05:53:52 pm
I got a puncture last October (after section 1 of a 10 section classic road/off road trial). Although I'm quite well practiced at repairing punctures, on this occasion it wasn't possible to repair it in situ, especially as I'd removed the centre stand for better off-road ground clearance. I waited over five hours on a cold, windswept hill for a recovery truck (they initially told me they would be with me in forty five minutes). It was on a Saturday afternoon, too, so there were no local bike repair shops open.
Paul W.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: February 11, 2020, 07:04:43 pm
I have often wondered why R.E just didn't design the center stand better. But you make my point(assuming you were on a Bullet) as to what a drag it is getting a puncture with tube tires on the road, unprepared. It does not happen that often, twice for me since 1972. 2009 I picked up a nail near the end of Long Island. I was alone but some hog riders stopped to help and were impressed by the act. One hour later we were having a drink in a Montauk Point bar. AND, it got them thinking. Are you in the U.K Paul W ?

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: February 11, 2020, 08:50:15 pm
Yes, in UK.
Paul W.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: February 11, 2020, 09:37:04 pm
Yes, in UK.
Ah, I thought so with the mention of the recovery truck. We have nothing like that here. I saw it on top gear when Hammond rode the Vincent and needed a motorcycle repair and recovery van.To no surprise he needed it more than once, and actually kick started it for him ! We do have flat bed car recovery but no mobile repair, that is a nice service.

Tarnand

• Andrew
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: February 12, 2020, 12:36:13 am
Was the Expert even aware of the tilting fender?  Any of you guys ever get a flat out on the road with your Enfield?
Years and years ago,  when I rode my first bike, and that was 1949 BMW R35, this was the only way you could actually remove rear wheel from the bike unless you detached the whole rear fender before.  I do not understand all this criticism.  And yes, I did get a flat rear tire on the road with my Enfield.  Where else do you get a flat?  In the garage?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 12:51:44 am by Tarnand »
1994 FLSTC
1983 FXRS

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: February 12, 2020, 01:19:27 am
Years and years ago,  when I rode my first bike, and that was 1949 BMW R35, this was the only way you could actually remove rear wheel from the bike unless you detached the whole rear fender before.  I do not understand all this criticism.  And yes, I did get a flat rear tire on the road with my Enfield.  Where else do you get a flat?  In the garage?

Criticism?Not at all. So, since you were not in your garage, how did you deal with your flat?

Tarnand

• Andrew
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #36 on: February 12, 2020, 05:51:06 am
So, since you were not in your garage, how did you deal with your flat?
Fortunately for me it was not somewhere "in the middle of nowhere" but in city (Chicago).  I decided to push the bike for close to 2 miles to the nearest tire shop.  If both tires were good it would not be a big deal but with a flat it was much harder then I imagined. Somehow I managed. 
1994 FLSTC
1983 FXRS

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: February 12, 2020, 10:50:44 am
Years ago I had the rear tube blow out on my old BSA C15. I was riding fast downhill, with my girlfriend on the pillion. How I kept the bike upright I don't know but thankfully there was no opposing traffic because we explored all the carriageway and the nearside grass verge before I managed to stop the bike. It was made slightly more difficult to stop because my girlfriend thought I was just messing about to frighten her and began hitting my arm and screaming (or maybe that was me).

A bent three inch nail had ripped the inner tube to shreds.

More recently I got another rear puncture on my RE 350, about three miles from home. It was in a torrential rainstorm so I decided to keep going, "footing" the bike to keep it upright and straight and the tyre on the rim. I made it home.
Paul W.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: February 12, 2020, 01:18:15 pm
Has anyone ever tried the Mousse Tubes? I know the older I get the less inclined I am to do a "road fix".

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: February 13, 2020, 08:54:14 am
Didn't the Beach Boys do a song about that?
Paul W.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: February 13, 2020, 01:45:36 pm
O.K, Googled Mousse Tubes  watched an installation video and as usual there is no free lunch. If your desert racing yes, but just road riding, no. Big effort plus fixtures and 6 tire irons involved. And this guy knew what he was doing. Paul W, I believe the song was Douche Scoop. Why they did a song about a cats litter box is beyond me.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 01:53:27 pm by cyrusb »

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: February 13, 2020, 02:32:23 pm
 8) Aah, I see; it's 'cos I don't speak much 'murrican.
Paul W.