Author Topic: My Lightning 535 2001- 597 Original KMS  (Read 932 times)

royalbeastrider

• Royalbeastrider
  • Scooter
  • Royal Enfield enthusiast
on: February 15, 2024, 04:41:11 pm
Hi All,

Here are some pictures of Lightning 535 I picked up in 2019. It has only 597 KMS and fully stock. It was garage kept for almost 18 years when I picked up. Started up with little tune up, and it was first sold by RE dealer in OR.

RB
A true Royal Enfield enthusiast!! Have been around RE for over decade now. Owner of 535 Lightning 2001, 2017 UCE 500 & 2008 AVL 500. Have travelled India on RE 500 AVL.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 05:04:52 pm
That must have been a private import at some stage, official US market 4 speed models had the (awful) left foot gear shift. The styling is the Indian factory's attempt at er... who knows? However, if you have a good solid Bullet there, that's a win.  The 87mm piston will give a slight power advantage over the stock 500 Bullet.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 05:14:07 pm
Hi All,

Here are some pictures of Lightning 535 I picked up in 2019. It has only 597 KMS and fully stock. It was garage kept for almost 18 years when I picked up. Started up with little tune up, and it was first sold by RE dealer in OR.

RB

Wow!

That's about all one can say. Wow :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Spudgun

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 05:18:10 pm
I've got the 500 Lightning. Yes, it was a private import. The original owner went to India in early 1999 and bought a pair of them. They were shipped to the UK, then they sat into the owners garage for 10 years. The owner died and his family asked a Dealer to sell them. I bought one for £1500 and with 127Km on the clock.

They're relaxing bikes to ride. The seat is hard though. I changed mine for similar looking leather one from Hitchcocks. I also fitted a Motrax speedo converter, so the speedo reads in MPH.

1999 Royal Enfield 500 Lightning

Raymond

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 05:52:19 pm
It's already been said, but Wow!
In the garage:
2007 Kawasaki W800 SE Polly
1978 Yamaha XS650 Miss November
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 06:23:50 pm
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

If one of those were mine I'd fit a more conventional Bullet fuel tank, flatter bars and a single speedo, a right-foot 5 speed gear box would be nice, but that's just my own prejudices showing through. A few of these besides Spudgun's have made it to the UK, I suspect they're quite rare in the USA.

Looking at royalbeastrider's bike, you might want a slightly bigger main jet in the (UK spelling alert) carburettor if the colour of the exhaust pipe is anything to go by, less restrictive aftermarket silencers/mufflers usually require the engine to run a richer mixture.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Spudgun

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 07:37:51 pm
A bigger main jet will be needed, even if the original silencer was fitted. Due to Regulation in the Indian home market (at the time. I don't know what it is now). The 500 had to do 80mpg (I can't quote the figure for the 535). As the result. The engine ran lean. Riding around town wasn't a problem, but on the open road. I had to turn the choke on to get the engine to run right.

Another note is the gearbox. Although it's a 4 speed. It does have a neutral switch. Very handy!

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 10:29:46 am
Love Lightnings! they always look better in the flesh!
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 16, 2024, 12:18:15 pm
Seen one like THIS?  8)

A.

Raymond

• Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: February 16, 2024, 02:26:33 pm
Wow, again! Because that is such a well-planned and almost poetic blend of selected parts across generations.
In the garage:
2007 Kawasaki W800 SE Polly
1978 Yamaha XS650 Miss November
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 16, 2024, 03:30:25 pm
I know the guy who built that one, he was very pleased with how it turned out.

A.

royalbeastrider

• Royalbeastrider
  • Scooter
Reply #11 on: February 17, 2024, 12:52:53 am
That must have been a private import at some stage, official US market 4 speed models had the (awful) left foot gear shift. The styling is the Indian factory's attempt at er... who knows? However, if you have a good solid Bullet there, that's a win.  The 87mm piston will give a slight power advantage over the stock 500 Bullet.

A.

I'm not sure if this was a private import. But the PO gave me proof of purchase from the dealership. Apparently that dealership is closed now, so can't confirm. I also got few manuals which was Xerox copies.

I picked up this one just because of the RH shift.

Thank you

RB
A true Royal Enfield enthusiast!! Have been around RE for over decade now. Owner of 535 Lightning 2001, 2017 UCE 500 & 2008 AVL 500. Have travelled India on RE 500 AVL.

royalbeastrider

• Royalbeastrider
  • Scooter
Reply #12 on: February 17, 2024, 12:56:29 am
I've got the 500 Lightning. Yes, it was a private import. The original owner went to India in early 1999 and bought a pair of them. They were shipped to the UK, then they sat into the owners garage for 10 years. The owner died and his family asked a Dealer to sell them. I bought one for £1500 and with 127Km on the clock.

They're relaxing bikes to ride. The seat is hard though. I changed mine for similar looking leather one from Hitchcocks. I also fitted a Motrax speedo converter, so the speedo reads in MPH.

Classic!! As far as I know, this was purchased from a dealership in OR. I'm missing the OEM backrest and stock Exhuast on this bike. And off course the correct speedo meter.

I paid close to $4400 + shipping to CA.

Spudgun

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: February 17, 2024, 06:58:52 am
You've got the correct speedo. As I've mentioned. I fitted a Motrax speedo converter. It's a small gearbox that goes between the speedo head and the cable. It's all very 'plug & play'.

The original seat was a two piece affair. Hard as nails. The leather seat on my Lightning looks the same as the original and is very comfy.

The original silencer was a shorter version of the stock Bullet item. I junked it and fitted a free flow item. It's a little shorter than the original, but it's less restrictive.

Yes, you are missing the backrest. You're also missing the two chrome trim panels that go either side of the seat.

All of these parts are obtainable. The seat, backrest and silencer can come from Hitchcocks. The two chrome trim panels I've seen regularly on Ebay. They're in India. I have bought parts from India without any problems. The Motrax speedo converter I bought from a local bike shop, so I can't help much there. An on-line search should help you out.

royalbeastrider

• Royalbeastrider
  • Scooter
Reply #14 on: February 17, 2024, 03:24:19 pm
You've got the correct speedo. As I've mentioned. I fitted a Motrax speedo converter. It's a small gearbox that goes between the speedo head and the cable. It's all very 'plug & play'.

The original seat was a two piece affair. Hard as nails. The leather seat on my Lightning looks the same as the original and is very comfy.

The original silencer was a shorter version of the stock Bullet item. I junked it and fitted a free flow item. It's a little shorter than the original, but it's less restrictive.

Yes, you are missing the backrest. You're also missing the two chrome trim panels that go either side of the seat.

All of these parts are obtainable. The seat, backrest and silencer can come from Hitchcocks. The two chrome trim panels I've seen regularly on Ebay. They're in India. I have bought parts from India without any problems. The Motrax speedo converter I bought from a local bike shop, so I can't help much there. An on-line search should help you out.

Ah, thank you! I didn't know that's an option. Thank you!

I do have the rear seat along with chrome sides. I was just missing the backrest which I just ordered one from India today. Next is a short bottle exhaust, as I like to keep it as stock as I can.

Thanks once again.

RB