Author Topic: Random Engine and body noises on Interceptor 650  (Read 11244 times)

aamrr177

• Scooter
Reply #30 on: March 05, 2021, 07:37:25 pm
Hi 2wheels,
Here's a solution to your problems
You don't slow down when you get old.  You get old when you slow down.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #31 on: March 05, 2021, 07:42:55 pm
Hi 2wheels,
Here's a solution to your problems

:o But only after he adjusts those valves... ;)
Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: March 05, 2021, 08:08:37 pm
Oh...now I see, they're right there, between the gonculators and the interositers!

Cookie

Cookie: You know how much I respect your opinion, but I have to disagree here, I think you mistook the gonculators for the frammis pin support. Of course the interositers, as you point out are in the normal position just above the whatis' and between the muffler bearings.  ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 08:16:08 pm by zimmemr »

agagliardi

• Grease Monkey
Reply #33 on: March 05, 2021, 08:16:11 pm
Earplugs. That's funny! Love it.

And, people, have mercy on our colleague who thought we had hydraulic valves!  I was frantically looking for the petcock!
1988 Super Magna(Disabled), 2000 Harley Softail, 2004 Hayabusa, 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor, 2004 Corvette, 2019 Indian scout

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #34 on: March 05, 2021, 08:52:22 pm
I had faulty shocks - right out of the dealer they would rattle riding on rough surfaces. Dealer blew me off saying they needed more or less preload. Proved it by swapping shocks from mates bike - completely cured the rattle. Dealer replaced shocks. Case closed.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 08:57:01 pm by Hoiho »

Panard

• Scooter
Reply #35 on: March 07, 2021, 02:09:42 pm
The ticking sound in the engine is most probably a defect hydraulic tappet. It does not pump up. Tighten the engine mounting screws.
On the front end I would adjust the bearing.
On the rear I would look for something loose. Tighten all screws you can see.
The 650 has solid lifters

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: March 07, 2021, 04:37:31 pm
The 650 has solid lifters

Technically speaking the 650 has no lifters, the rocker arm contacts the cam at one end and the valve at the other. Lifters are normally found only on pushrod engines, where they are used to transfer the motion of the cam to the pushrod and from there to the rocker arm. They can be either solid, in which case the valve requires manual adjustment or hydraulic, which eliminates the need to manually adjust the valves. That being said some OHC engines do use them, including the new HD Pan America.

My apologies if this came off as overly pedantic, but it's an important distinction.  :)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #37 on: March 07, 2021, 05:01:14 pm
Why all bikes do not have hydraulic adjusters is a mystery to me.

As Neanderthal(and I quote the new prez) , as my Harley seems compared to my other bikes, it has Hydraulic valves. Never had to dick around with valve adjustments on the HD.

There is a pre-load setting on hydraulic lifters (did it over the years on 3 different shovelheads) that you have to do under certain circumstances so it's sort of like "adjusting the valves" once in a while.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: March 07, 2021, 05:12:09 pm
          There is a pre-load setting on hydraulic lifters (did it over the years on 3 different shovelheads) that you have to do under certain circumstances so it's sort of like "adjusting the valves" once in a while.

Very true, even the hydraulic lifters on older car engine usually had some provision for adjustment. Typically you'd let the warmed up engine idle, back off the adjusting screw on the rocker arm until the valve made some noise, then tighten the screw until the noise stopped plus a  1/4 turn.

Generally the only time you adjusted them was when did a top end job or replaced a bad lifter but as you point out some sort of manual adjuster combined with a hydraulic lifter isn't unusual.

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #39 on: March 07, 2021, 06:14:32 pm
Anybody remember the Hondas from the 70's with valve lash adjustment via an eccentric spindle that carried the rockerarms.  It had a lock nut on the outside of the engine.

This system was used on the CB 350 twins.  If memory serves it was also employed on the CB 450 and a couple others.

If a guy was brave, or didn't give a hoot, they could be "adjusted" while the engine was running.   Loosen the lock nut and twist the spindle till the clattering stopped. :o

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #40 on: March 07, 2021, 06:33:36 pm
Anybody remember the Hondas from the 70's with valve lash adjustment via an eccentric spindle that carried the rockerarms.  It had a lock nut on the outside of the engine.

This system was used on the CB 350 twins.  If memory serves it was also employed on the CB 450 and a couple others.

If a guy was brave, or didn't give a hoot, they could be "adjusted" while the engine was running.   Loosen the lock nut and twist the spindle till the clattering stopped. :o
BY the '80s you could look at those '70s models and make an educated guess if the cams were still in good shape ;).
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: March 07, 2021, 06:41:15 pm

In 1972 I went to Honda Twin tune up school and the instructor showed us how to adjust the valves with the engine running on the sly. I tried it once when I got back to the shop and felt so guilty about it I never did it again. To the best of my knowledge the eccentrics were only used on the CB/CL 350/450/500 twins, I assume it was also used on the 250's post 1969, but they weren't imported to the states.

Jack Straw

• LAUGH MORE, LIVE LONGER
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Prescott, Arizona
Reply #42 on: March 07, 2021, 07:02:34 pm
We had a New Jersey chopper guy wrenching at Hollywood Honda for a while and he claimed that his ear was "trained" to set the 350 tappets by sound.  Oddly enough he was overall a good technician but his tools were a scandal, screwdrivers, pliers and open ends were all reclaimed from the tool kits of Japanese bikes.  Joe Minton used to say "Harvey buys his tools by the pound."  I never saw him within 25 yards of the Snap-On truck.

aussie650

• Scooter
  • 2019 Interceptor..AUSTRALIA
Reply #43 on: March 07, 2021, 08:14:15 pm
I adjust my valves with a left handed spanner ??? ::) ;)

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: March 07, 2021, 09:20:02 pm
We had a New Jersey chopper guy wrenching at Hollywood Honda for a while and he claimed that his ear was "trained" to set the 350 tappets by sound.  Oddly enough he was overall a good technician but his tools were a scandal, screwdrivers, pliers and open ends were all reclaimed from the tool kits of Japanese bikes.  Joe Minton used to say "Harvey buys his tools by the pound."  I never saw him within 25 yards of the Snap-On truck.
I had a mechanic like that working for me. He was a decent mechanic but his tools were the cheapest he could find. He worked for the state before I got him, and told me that he'd found a lot of his tools by the side of the road while picking up litter.