Author Topic: Lower rpm for given speed with 2:1  (Read 3334 times)

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #15 on: December 04, 2020, 01:53:00 pm
I'm a little confused by this one. Perhaps you could clarify or expand?
First: whether or not the engine is producing maximum power or not has no affect in this situation.

Second: Weight and aerodynamics don't change anything in this instance. Speed is a direct result of engine rpm multiplied by gearing. Adding weight or increasing the air resistance (adding load) can reduce the motorcycles ability to attain a given rpm in a particular gear, but it can't change the mechanical ratio. A perfect example here would be a heavily loaded bike straining to go up a steep hill, versus the same bike descending the hill.

Third: You're right in that adding power can reduce the rpm for a given speed: BUT only if their is a corresponding change in gearing.

Lastly: I'm unclear as to what you mean by "a sliding power scale across rpm range" and how that would affect anything. Let's presume your bike makes 20 horsepower at 2500 rpm in top gear at a 1/4 throttle and the bike is geared to do 50 mph at that rpm. If you modify the bike so it now makes 40 horsepower at that same throttle position and rpm but don't alter the gearing the bike will reach 50 a lot quicker and will have an easier time carrying a load at that speed, but again unless the gearing is changed rpm and road speed will remain a constant. It has no other choice.
:) Nothing that you just wrote is wrong. Nothing.
   What I was being provocative about was that we, the audience, know next to nothing about Hiohi's mate's parameters when he makes his comment.
He may or may not actually be an idiot. More likely, he is just reflecting that the bike "worked" a lot better at 60 kph after the exhaust upgrade. Previously, he needed to click it down to 5th gear and raise that rpm by 400rpm. Post upgrade he leaves it in 6th and it is comfy.
   His comment and the retelling of it is pretty minimal. We, as proud members of the internet, immediately jumped to a technical dissection of what a friend of a friend said.
   As regards,"I'm unclear as to what you mean by "a sliding power scale across rpm range"... All I meant was that whatever tweaks we make to our bikes, we don't gain more than fractional power, we are essentially sliding the torque up and down the rpm range.
   Life is simple, if you let it be. ;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 01:55:24 pm by NVDucati »
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

zimmemr

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 04, 2020, 02:12:56 pm
   What I was being provocative about was that we, the audience, know next to nothing about Hiohi's mate's parameters when he makes his comment.
He may or may not actually be an idiot. More likely, he is just reflecting that the bike "worked" a lot better at 60 kph after the exhaust upgrade. Previously, he needed to click it down to 5th gear and raise that rpm by 400rpm. Post upgrade he leaves it in 6th and it is comfy.
   His comment and the retelling of it is pretty minimal. We, as proud members of the internet, immediately jumped to a technical dissection of what a friend of a friend said.
   As regards,"I'm unclear as to what you mean by "a sliding power scale across rpm range"... All I meant was that whatever tweaks we make to our bikes, we don't gain more than fractional power, we are essentially sliding the torque up and down the rpm range.

Thanks, your explanation was exactly what I'd hoped for, clear, concise and perfectly logical. My compliments.

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #17 on: December 04, 2020, 08:43:13 pm

It was handbags at 20 paces - he insisting the rpm had dropped at 100kph in 6th gear and while I took the position that it was impossible given no change in gearing...

Hopefully the weather holds for this afternoons shootout

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #18 on: December 04, 2020, 08:51:03 pm
It was handbags at 20 paces - he insisting the rpm had dropped at 100kph in 6th gear and while I took the position that it was impossible given no change in gearing...

Hopefully the weather holds for this afternoons shootout
That's funny!
Ride on his left side so you can see his tach.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #19 on: December 07, 2020, 12:32:50 am
Jumped on his bike yesterday - no diff to speed at 4k rpm. Put it down to new exhaust excitement...

GravyDavy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 07, 2020, 12:49:24 am
Jumped on his bike yesterday - no diff to speed at 4k rpm. Put it down to new exhaust excitement...
No dramatic cliffhanger?  So disappointing....

justonemore

• Grease Monkey
Reply #21 on: December 07, 2020, 09:30:12 am

Delete your post, tell us he is correct and let the fun begin.  ::)

JettaKnight

• Fort Wayne, IN
  • Grease Monkey
  • USA 2020 650INT
Reply #22 on: December 07, 2020, 03:45:57 pm
Did you check it out at 7000 RPM in first gear? That's going to be essential.

IIRC, there was the same "it's now faster at XXX RPM" in the discussions about the Booster Plug.