Author Topic: Weird “pop” sound after shutting INT650 off..  (Read 520 times)

Gone in 60

• Grease Monkey
  • 2021 Interceptor 650 - Vindaloo
Reply #15 on: April 20, 2024, 02:02:17 pm
Back to the question about the sound my bike makes a few posts up - just a single click 10-15 seconds after the bike is turned off. I don’t notice a humming sound.
'21 Interceptor 650
'12 Bonneville T100
'13 CB1100

Tuh

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: April 20, 2024, 03:54:39 pm
Like others said: Normal sound for me, same ever since i have the bike.

ryguy76

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: April 20, 2024, 05:59:51 pm
That's fascinating. I'm 99.9% certain that noise is not the fuel pump. It's too quiet and too high-pitched. 

As an electronics guy, it sounds to me like a pulsed drive to some kind of inductive load, like a relay or solenoid. It is a very common technique: the solenoid is given the full 12V DC to operate it, and once it is operated the drive is pulsed, reducing the average current and keeping the solenoid cool.

So, I believe the noise is coming from an ECU-controlled solenoid, and you can bet it's something to do with the emissions reduction stuff, almost certainly the EVAP system, as Hoiho suggests.  As such it is absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks for this.  Does it make sense that this just started happening or has likely always done this and I didn’t notice?

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: April 20, 2024, 06:03:37 pm
My bike may very well make the same noise and I'd never know as I usually don't have my helmet off in time to hear it.

ryguy76

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: April 20, 2024, 06:14:53 pm
There is another interesting observation, which is how difficult it is to describe a noise in a way that everyone recognises it. 

For example, the OP refers to a "hum" followed by a "pop".  When I listen to the video, I would describe it as a "whine" followed by a "clunk".  Hums are lower pitched, and pops don't have that mechanical sound.

Neither of us is right or wrong - I just think it is a great example of how hard it is to describe sounds, and how useful it is to get a recording so we can all hear the actual sound.

What’s funny is I absolutely agree with your “whine” and “clunk” nomenclature as far as the video is concerned.  I was describing the sound I heard from the right side of the bike in my garage as it’s leaning near a wall on the side stand so only heard it from the right side.  To capture the video, I rolled the bike back and recorded from the left side up close and the noise definitely sounds much different up close and personal on this side.  Had I done this before posting, I would have absolutely described them differently and I appreciated what you’re saying.

Orangecrushint650

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: Today at 03:17:19 am
My Interceptor makes the same pop a few seconds after shutting down the engine.