Author Topic: Royal Enfield Makes ‘Big Push’ Into U.S.  (Read 7464 times)

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
on: May 17, 2016, 05:48:11 pm
100 dealers by year end? They better get going.

http://powersportsfinance.com/royal-enfield-makes-big-push-into-u-s/

Steve
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 09:55:42 pm
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 04:21:33 pm
I think that they are finding out that it's one thing to say what they want to do, but another thing to do it.
 :)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Otto_Ing

Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 04:39:17 pm
It's a more of the same strategy. I personally don't like it, IMO it's like starting a Blitzkrieg with lances and swords against an army with machineguns. They should have built their business model based on commitment and strengthen the existing dealers in the first place. JMHO.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 06:08:58 pm
This whole situation makes my head hurt, i just don't get it. On the other hand i suppose that's no surprise since I'm not the kind of customer RENA wants anyway. So maybe next weekend I'll go test drive a KTM 390 Duke.
Roverman, not a hipster, youngster, or any other "ster".

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2016, 07:25:39 pm
You could join me and be a curmudgeonster.

It's a lot of fun. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 12:44:52 pm
This whole situation makes my head hurt, i just don't get it. On the other hand i suppose that's no surprise since I'm not the kind of customer RENA wants anyway. So maybe next weekend I'll go test drive a KTM 390 Duke.
Roverman, not a hipster, youngster, or any other "ster".

Where's the Detroit KTM dealer?

-edit-

Lansing and Grand Rapids for KTM on road models...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 12:53:42 pm by Farmer_John »
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 01:50:44 pm
F.J. There is one out in the thumb about 50 mi from me but the name escapes me. They are advertising a 2015 390 for $4,500, like i said, very tempted.
Roverman.

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 01:52:31 pm
On the other hand, if RENA could at least say yes or no to the Himalayan it might sway me.

Farmer_John

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 02:05:51 pm
On the other hand, if RENA could at least say yes or no to the Himalayan it might sway me.

Steve's hopeful enough that he's listed it on the website.
"It's not what you know, it's how well you reference what you don't"

"Ain't no hill too high for a mountain climber"

Words to succeed by...

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 02:56:34 pm
Exactly!

Grant Borden

• It's Time to Ride!
  • Grease Monkey
  • It's Time To Ride!!!
Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 09:11:56 pm
These guys remind me of when the US importers/distributors of BMW and Moto Guzzi bought out by the manufactures, not too bad for BMW. Moto Guzzi was bought out by Aprilia, about 2004 they were bought by Piaggio, as of today Guzzi not recovered. RE is making the Guzzi debacle look like a picnic in some respects. Piaggio would not honor warranty claims and also closed the warehouse for more than 6 months for inventory with several bikes off the road and some even out of warranty by the time they opened the warehouse, neither dealers or consumer could get parts. Many dealers threw up their hands giving up or closing their dealership.

Grant
2016 Royal Enfield Continental GT
2014 Royal Enfield C5 With Cozy Euro Sidecar

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 03:18:57 pm
Here is a link to an article by Motorcycle.com regarding the RE Big Push into the U.S. market.  Doesn't sound all that big to me.  But if you want to join the push they are waiting for your call.   ::)   
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2016/05/23/manufacturers/royal-enfield/royal-enfield-looking-expand-dealer-network-north-america/
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 06:02:31 pm
Here is a link to an article by Motorcycle.com regarding the RE Big Push into the U.S. market.  Doesn't sound all that big to me.  But if you want to join the push they are waiting for your call.   ::)   
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2016/05/23/manufacturers/royal-enfield/royal-enfield-looking-expand-dealer-network-north-america/

From that article, part of a quote by Michael Roark, vice president of sales and dealer development, Royal Enfield North America:

Royal Enfield North America is looking for and excited to talk to both traditional and unconventional dealer partners who share our passion and will become ambassadors for the brand.

Forgive me, but didn't they have a bunch of those already?

Otto_Ing

Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 08:29:49 pm

They started selling in central Europe at a coffee maker "Tchibo" (bit like Starbucks) ...not sure which counties are included, i think mainly Germany, Austria maybe Switzerland....

The coffee maker would sell you a bike which you would pick up at the RE dealer. What to think of that, they may win some new customers or turn themselves into a joke.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 09:42:41 pm by oTTo »

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 01:04:48 am
Interesting concept.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 06:33:12 am
 And fitting too in a back to the roots sort of way. They sold a lot of tea and some coffee to the riders at the Ace Cafe back in the day or so I am told.

Riding to the Cafe for a coffee 1962

Going to the cafe for a ride 2016

Customer: 16 ounce triple Americano please.
Barista: would you like room for cream or whip on that ?
Customer: no thanks but I'll take a CGT on the side.
Now that is ironic.  ;)

If it puts more Royal Enfields under the butts of more riders than I am all for it. Sooner or later they will want service and parts and accessories.
 That's another opportunity for a dealership to open or an existing one to take on the line.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 06:42:10 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 12:48:21 pm
I like to drink coffee. I drink quite a bit of coffee.
Nothing against coffee here.
 ;D

I even like to have a cup of coffee at a dealer when I'm there.

It seems that the problem is that many owners are finding it quite a very long ride to find a dealer now. Coffee or no coffee.

I have seen this over and over again in various markets. The dealers want to monopolize a territory as large as possible, even including the restriction of parts and services to ONLY them. They try to lock up as much as they can, to prevent any competition.
A company which is eager to position its dealers often comply, in order to get their opening order quota, which is typically a LOT of money from the dealer.

In MOST cases(not all cases) this turns out to be a very bad deal for the customer, who has basically no say about it. Seemingly, the customer is not under consideration, except to be the source of revenue.

I'm not sure exclusive dealerships is a good idea. Competition works.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Scotty Brown

• Grand Gearhead
  • Scotty Brown
Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 02:46:34 am
=Looks like the "push" has turned into a  "Stumble"  Six months already and not even a quality web site.  Where are the magazine articles and road tests.  Point of purchase material.  And "excitement" or lack thereof.  How about quality article about this brand's character?  How about some company pride ! =

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #19 on: May 29, 2016, 05:56:05 am
 What RENA does or doesn't do does not change the fact that we have our bikes and CMW for parts and technical support and the forum for technical and moral support like we always have.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
Reply #20 on: May 29, 2016, 02:12:04 pm
Even when I had a local R/E dealer, it was still more practical for me to order items from our host or H/C's because of the marked up price with the tallied in would be S/H & convenience charges, the 1st trip there I purchased an oil change kit just for the sake of being there & they had one on the shelf. I was however pleased that I didn't have to roll to Dallas Tx. to buy my C5, PLUS, according to their website, they had a better inventory to choose from than the Dallas store @ the time. I'd sent a lot of serious buyers to the local dealer only to find their doors closed for good...very sad. Some have bought 2nd hand machines. I'm just glad new parts are available & experienced techs are on hand at this site.
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.