Author Topic: Fueling issue 2006 Electra X 535 Amal 932 carb  (Read 1256 times)

Sigreen

• Scooter
on: July 30, 2020, 03:18:14 pm
Hello everyone. Some advise on fueling please. I'm having some trouble setting up the carb on my 535 electra X. It has 220 main 106 pilot & needle on the lowest slot, wide pipe, cams. I can get the bike to start & idle, but it was revving up & down on tick over. I've cleaned the carb & it's better but running rich & can't seem to get it to balance. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Si

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 06:13:23 pm
Is that a new carb conversion or one that came with the bike? The stock carb was a Mikarb CV29 which, along with the stuffed-up lean-burn exhaust, was frequently junked by the Electra-X owners.

106 will be the needle jet, the pilot jet is a non-adjustable brass bush buried deep inside the carb unless it's one of the newer Amal Premier carbs. Is the throttle slide closing properly?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Sigreen

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 07:08:53 pm
Hi. It's not the stock carb. And yes, sorry it's the needle jet at 106. Yes, I stripped the carb again & cleaned the slide. It was better but still misbehaving. So I drained the tank, fresh fuel & cleaned the tap filter. And hey presto! It's even worse now🤣 rough as a bears arse, running richer & more smoke. Idle screw right in, popping & banging when you give a little throttle. What's next?

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 10:52:44 am
What I meant was, did you fit this Amal yourself or was it already on the bike when you got it? If you fitted it yourself was it part of a specific kit intended for the Electra-X or purchased separately?

Normal position for the pilot air screw is one and a half turns out. Popping and banging it the carb when opening the throttle? The slide is too lean, fit a richer one.

There's a thread running on Hitchcocks' forum where someone has also been struggling with an Amal Mk1 concentric, you might find it helpful.

https://messageboard.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10817

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...