Author Topic: Is the tripper this bad?  (Read 1140 times)

Toontje

• Grand Gearhead
  • Barcelona, Spain
on: June 25, 2022, 04:49:04 pm
Hey tripper users! GT650 rider here. I am thinking about replacing my Beeline with a Tripper. However, i see on Youtube that experiences with the Tripper are not overall great. Example here: https://youtu.be/gmluZsxgwIY?t=326
How do you like your Tripper? Worth having? Would you replace it with something else if you could?
Ice Queen for sale in Spain (Was: Riding my Ice Queen through Spain).

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 08:33:03 pm
I would have preferred having a tachometer on the Meteor, rather than the Tripper device. I won't be going anywhere on this bike that I need a GPS for anyway, but if that is a thing you might use, you may be able to get one cheaply from a Meteor owner here that has actually removed one for a tach instead.
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

Fubars

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 10:27:30 pm
Only thing I find it useful for is the clock, nice and clear.
Past rides
MT 50
RD125LC
FS1E
Katana 650
BSA Bantam D7
RD250LC
XJR 400
RD250D
RD250B
Suzuki B120 x2
CD175 x2
Tricity 125
Inazuma 250
Burgman 400
Nightwing 250

Current rides
Meteor 350 Fireball Red

Dexter

• Grand Gearhead
  • British Columbia, Canada
Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 12:02:07 am
Only thing I find it useful for is the clock, nice and clear.

Had to come back to this thread again, because this device is just a useless piece of shit! I wanted to reset the clock on it, as it is terrible at maintaining the correct time, or anything even close to what the clock in the speedo says. My Tripper is currently ahead of the speedo time by over half an hour. I did have it set to closely match the speedo earlier this year.

Problem is, after tapping the red helmet, now the damn RE app keeps telling me to turn the Bluetooth on. It IS bloody well on!! Can't get any farther than that with it now.

Seems I read somewhere that RE isn't putting the Tripper on 2022 Meteor models. No loss there!

The OP should just buy a decent GPS for his bike instead of going with this piece of shit!  >:( >:(
Past rides:
1966 Honda 65 Sport
1967 Honda CB160
1973 Honda CB750
1982 Honda V45 Magna - the most uncomfortable bike I ever did a cross country tour on!
1983 Honda CB1000
1995 Honda ST1100 - sold 2015 after 175,000 km
1996 Honda ST1100
Current ride:
2021 Royal Enfield Stellar Blue Meteor 350

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
  • East Central Indiana, USA
Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 12:43:29 am
Had to come back to this thread again, because this device is just a useless piece of shit! I wanted to reset the clock on it, as it is terrible at maintaining the correct time, or anything even close to what the clock in the speedo says. My Tripper is currently ahead of the speedo time by over half an hour. I did have it set to closely match the speedo earlier this year.

Problem is, after tapping the red helmet, now the damn RE app keeps telling me to turn the Bluetooth on. It IS bloody well on!! Can't get any farther than that with it now.

Seems I read somewhere that RE isn't putting the Tripper on 2022 Meteor models. No loss there!

The OP should just buy a decent GPS for his bike instead of going with this piece of shit!  >:( >:(
+1,2,3, etc. I think the worst thing about the Tripper, the wonky fuel gauge, the speedo problems on the new Classic 350, etc. is the emerging perception that the RE line isn't reliable. Will not be good for the brand in the long run. Rather than pushing to come up with different variants, I think RE should concentrate on upmost reliability, to compete favorably with the Japanese bikes, on their current model line. 'Quality lives on after price has been forgotten', and all that.

LowEnd

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 01:42:52 pm
Hey tripper users! GT650 rider here. I am thinking about replacing my Beeline with a Tripper. However, i see on Youtube that experiences with the Tripper are not overall great. Example here: https://youtu.be/gmluZsxgwIY?t=326
How do you like your Tripper? Worth having? Would you replace it with something else if you could?

Yes.  It really is that bad.

I replaced mine with a tachometer. I'm quite happy and it includes a voltmeter. If anyone in Australia wants to buy a tripper hit me up.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 03:16:09 pm
I'm using the Beeline after seeing all the complaints about the Tripper. I have no complaints about the Beeline. In fact, someone was selling one at a deep discount so I bought it, thinking I would sell it for what I paid. I went to the Royal Rally in Virginia. I knew there would be other Classic 350 riders who would be interested in it. I was wrong. I was the only one on a Classic. So, if anyone is thinking of getting a Beeline, I have one for sale for only $125.

hqmpest

• Neophyte
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 12:15:16 pm
What's a Beeline?

MMRanch

• Grease Monkey
  • Evil wins if Good Men only do Nothing !
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2022, 01:09:11 pm
Yea , What's a "BeeLine' ?

I don't understand what the big problem is with the tripper ?

It's only as good as the GPS function on your phone is , ... so ... Maybe the phone should be catching the blame for "usual" or "aggravating" behavioral ?  ::) 
Mine works perfect :
     I open the app
     I tell the phone where I want to go
     I hit get directions
     I hit navigate
     I tap the RE item on my phone and start the bike , then the display pops up !  :)
No , I do not have a "HIGH $$$" phone just a old cheep Motorola.
If there is something I don't like about the set-up , it would be not having a "Favorites" to save places into ... but that would be the phone's fault not the Tripper's.   I've got a motorcycle GPS device I might add to the handlebar that does have favorites .    The GPS function on the phone takes a long time to "re-calculate" if I deviate from the original route and once again that would be the phone's fault.   Tripper only knows what the phone tells it , remember : Its a BLUETOOTH device.  ;)

Part B
A RPM counter might be wasted on a motor like the Meteor ?  Its a long way from being a "race-engine"  and that is part of it's charm the way I see it.     Race motors come from Suzuki , Yamaha or Kawasaki (but they get terrible fuel millage) .   

The "ECO" feature on the Meteor's speedometer is a nice feature !   8)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 02:08:14 pm by MMRanch »
Lynchburg Tn.
have had to many to list them all but now only two
RE Meteor22 SBlue
RE Super Meteor Astral Blue

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 04:21:03 pm
What's a Beeline?

What's a "Google"?

Never mind. I'm putting it on another bike.

Mr helicop

• Scooter
  • Devon UK
Reply #10 on: July 12, 2022, 10:18:32 pm
I replaced my tripper with a tacho, far more useful. I think fitting a tripper which most people won't use was a bad decision by RE.