Author Topic: Running in  (Read 1228 times)

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
on: June 23, 2022, 11:37:02 am
500kms and touchwood no issues yet. The tappets needed adjustment at the oil change but that was expected. Really enjoying it. Cruises at 100kms easily noting that it has a 17tooth drive sprocket. Any higher speeds the engine sound a bit pushed. The engine is loosening up well
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 11:38:52 am
fun
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

Raymond

• Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 01:26:30 pm
Looks beautiful!
In the garage:
2007 Kawasaki W800 SE Polly
1978 Yamaha XS650 Miss November
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Deluxe

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 05:04:31 pm
On Bilgemasters recommendation I began using Lucas TB-Zinc Plus, it seems to reduce wear in these old-style engines and transmissions. Couldn't hurt... 8)
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 11:36:20 pm
Interesting product. Thanks.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 12:12:32 am
On Bilgemasters recommendation I began using Lucas TB-Zinc Plus, it seems to reduce wear in these old-style engines and transmissions. Couldn't hurt... 8)

I dunno about putting that Lucas goop into an Iron Barrel's separate gearbox or primary drive case. In my gearbox I just use SAE 90 weight (or thereabouts) straight GL-4 (never GL-5 or "GL-2 through GL-5", since some GL-5 rated anti-impact additives can contain phosphorous compounds that will do some old school gearboxes with copper or brass bits no kindnesses). While in my primary I put about 800 ml of Type F ATF (instead of the old standard 420 ml as per the level indicator hole). I suppose I now "overfill" it basically from force of habit. My electric start is long gone "where the woodbine twineth", but that extra ATF was once thought to somehow better soothe a cranky sprag, and a Service Bulletin advising that increase to 800 ml did go out from Enfield to their dealerships in what was very likely an utterly futile gesture towards ameliorating a truly rotten design. It certainly didn't work with mine. My sprag "Amber Turded" the bed all of its own accord and with no prompting whatsoever from me. But the extra ATF doesn't seem to be doing the primary or clutch any harm, so I just keep "overdosing" it. Like Keith Richards, it seems to thrive on that excess.

However, I am a big believer in squirting just a couple of ounces of the Lucas TB-Zinc into the engine oil (on top of the Mobil1 15W-50 synthetic automotive brew I favor). I first started using it on the advice posted here some while back of the venerable "Ace". Last I looked on the Mobil1 website their 15W-50 had about 1,200 ppm of Zinc or "ZDDP" in it (compared to 1,700 for their costlier V-Twin brew). I imagine those couple of ounces of Lucas goop might carry that zinc level up and over the 1,500 ppm of the now obsolete SAE "SG" rating of yore that these old flat tappetted beasts enjoy. All I can tell you for sure is that since following this regimen I haven't needed to adjust my tappets in well over 12,000 miles. I do check them regularly, but they just never need fussing with. Hopefully other parts of the beast are also wearing so gently as those cams and pushrods. The Lucas goop IS designed for running in engines, so it or a similar product is probably a superb idea for Warwick's fresh powerplant, though I might run it with a suitable conventional oil instead of a synthetic for an oil change or three before switching to a synthetic. He'll want a little wear to allow it all to bed in nicely.

But again, I'd be a little concerned with adding that Lucas TB-Zinc to either the gearbox or primary chaincase. It may do them no harm whatsoever, or maybe even the power of good, but I just don't know...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 12:38:09 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 06:24:44 am
Lucas does their homework. Lucas TB Zinc isn't going to eat the copper, aluminum, brass or bronze out of your engine or transmission. It's an extreme pressure additive. That alone would make it a bad idea to use it in the primary case housing your clutch. Your average car motor has plenty of exposed copper, aluminium, brass & bronze. AFAIK the only bronze in the 4-speed would be if you put H's bushes in there yourself, cheap steel seems to be the OEM preference, and in any event Lucas says it's a non-issue. At $12 - $20 per pint bottle it's unlikely you'll run it straight. The high zinc content means it's hostile to any catalytic converters it encounters, so keep it away from modern smog engines. Don't eat it, breathe it or get in your eyes - basic stuff.

https://www.lucasoilcenter.com/shop/lucas-oil-products/problem-solvers-utility-lubricants/lucas-tb-zinc-plus-engine-break-in-oil-additive/
TB Zinc-Plus Engine Break-In Additive | Problem Solvers & Utility Lubricants
Available in 16 ounce bottle [#10063], 16 ounce bottle case (12 per case) [#10063C], 55 gallon drum [#10472]

Lucas TB Zinc-Plus Engine Break-In Oil Additive is designed for all who fear the initial break-in period of any new motor, especially if running a flat tappet camshaft. It has an additive package that will help seat in the new rings while providing an excellent extreme pressure additive package that will help protect the entire valve train and camshaft. Dyno testing shows a more efficient and much faster with less blow by break-in when TB Zinc-Plus used. resulting in less engine run time prior to race day.

The TB Zinc-Plus is specially formulated with ZDDP to prevent camshaft and valve train wear in classic cars, hot rods and racing engines. It is also for use in any racing situation to increase your extreme pressure additives in any conventional or synthetic motor oil.

REMEMBER: Lucas Zinc Additive protects camshaft lifters and valve train during break-in period of motors. It is excellent for flat tappet camshafts during break-in or as an additive to any motor oil to prevent premature wear. It contains an exclusive blend of extreme pressure additives and is designed for race applications requiring additional extreme pressure additives.

https://lucasoil.com/faq

https://lucasoil.com/products/engine-builder-lubricants/engine-break-in-oil-additive-tb-zinc-plus
KEY BENEFITS
Protects camshaft lifters and valve train during break-in period of motor
Excellent for flat tappet camshafts during break-in or as an
additive to any motor oil to prevent premature wear
Exclusive blend of extreme pressure additives
Add one bottle with every oil change to increase the
zinc content of your motor oil
Designed for race applications requiring additional
extreme pressure additives
Dyno testing shows a more efficient break-in when used
resulting in less engine run time prior to race day
Not designed for passenger car use

https://lucasoil.com/pdf/TDS_Break-In-Additive.pdf

(MSDS) https://lucasoil.com/pdf/SDS_Engine-Break-In-Oil-TBZinc.pdf

« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 06:40:04 am by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 12:05:22 pm
500kms and touchwood no issues yet. The tappets needed adjustment at the oil change but that was expected. Really enjoying it. Cruises at 100kms easily noting that it has a 17tooth drive sprocket. Any higher speeds the engine sound a bit pushed. The engine is loosening up well

Very nice!

I immediately noticed the nice gap between header pipe & oil filter cap which was essentially done away with on a lot of AVLs. I've tweaked mine enough so that I don't have to loosen my nuts at the head or frame anchor to get the cap off, but others have had little success doing that. Sometimes you just need a bigger hammer  :) :)

Anyway. That's a super looking machine.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.