Author Topic: Anyone fancy a Hunter 350 ?  (Read 14478 times)

Fubars

• Bulleteer
on: June 17, 2022, 08:25:30 pm
Hunter 350 to be released very soon in India followed I'm sure with a global offering.
Past rides
MT 50
RD125LC
FS1E
Katana 650
BSA Bantam D7
RD250LC
XJR 400
RD250D
RD250B
Suzuki B120 x2
CD175 x2
Tricity 125
Inazuma 250
Burgman 400
Nightwing 250

Current rides
Meteor 350 Fireball Red

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 09:49:32 pm
Looks Good! I like the "Triumph-ish/Crusader?" scalloped tank shape and seat treatment. Wire wheels are my preference, probably someone would swap...

https://www.carandbike.com/news/royal-enfield-hunter-350-launch-details-revealed-3072612

https://www.rushlane.com/royal-enfield-hunter-350-launch-in-aug-most-affordable-re-12439416.html
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 09:58:22 pm by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Fubars

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 10:31:04 pm
I'm on the fence at the moment, it's a bit to modern looking for me. I know these are just rendered photos but I they can't be far off the mark.
Past rides
MT 50
RD125LC
FS1E
Katana 650
BSA Bantam D7
RD250LC
XJR 400
RD250D
RD250B
Suzuki B120 x2
CD175 x2
Tricity 125
Inazuma 250
Burgman 400
Nightwing 250

Current rides
Meteor 350 Fireball Red

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 05:34:21 am
Hey - at least it doesn't look like a GP bike with knobbies, that seems to be "a thing" now.

Nothing wrong with cast wheels either, they're probably better since you can easily run tubeless tires. But spokes are still prettier...  ;)

One of the links suggested that this was going to be less expensive than the standard - maybe because less chrome?
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

scott_650

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 02:08:08 pm
I’m supposing that the Hunter is meant as a direct competitor with the Honda H’ness CB350. The lower cost probably comes from two areas - lower priced components (plastic fenders, generic headlight bucket v. a casque, shared wheels, controls, etc with the Meteor) and accepting a lower margin on the MSRP. The H’ness is reportedly selling very well in India so RE is probably willing to make a bit less per sale than the Meteor or Classic to gain market share. Will the Hunter make it to the US at a proportional lower MSRP? Maybe. All depends on how fine RENA thinks they can slice their piece of the lightweight street bike pie - will it matter to them if Hunter sales cannibalize Meteor or Classic sales? Or will it give them higher total numbers? I hope we see it here it’s a good looking bike and should lend itself well to some buyer customization/personalization.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 02:10:36 pm by scott_650 »

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 11:13:12 am
The Classic 350 riding position with cast wheels and tubeless tyres, what's not to like?
 However if the Honda appeared in the UK I'd get one of those without any hesitation and I know a few others who'd do exactly the same.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

LanesExplorerUK

• Scooter
  • Burgandy Stellar
Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 06:53:56 am
I can see this RE - if the artists impressions are reasonably accurate - making an excellent basis for a trail type machine. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing one.

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 06:35:41 pm
In what way would this be superior to a Scram 411?

markm228

• New RE & Meteor 350 Owner
  • Scooter
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 12:53:06 am
Hunter 350 to be released very soon in India followed I'm sure with a global offering.
If RE bring the Hunter to the US, I won't know whether to choose that or the Classic 350! I like the look of the Hunter. Since it's sporting more of a mid-late 70s aesthetic, I think that the cast wheels are proper; they go with the bike.
Previous Rides:
Motobecane Moped
Honda Expess II
Honda Express SR
1978 Yamaha XS400
1983 Yamaha Seca 750
1982 Honda FT500 Ascot
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2000 Kawasaki W650
1993 Honda Helix
2004 Honda Helix
2011 Suzuki Burgman 400

Current Rides:
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: June 22, 2022, 06:50:46 pm
More bum dope - The foot pegs appear to be maybe 4" further aft than the previously released 350 OHC machines, so it should make for a better riding posture. Maybe a bit less pork too. Looks very interesting, barring Big Red releasing the H'ness on these shores.

14 June 2022: Is This What The Royal Enfield Hunter 350 Production Bike Will Look Like?
https://www.rideapart.com/news/592125/royal-enfield-hunter-350-leaked/

No news since 2021... ???
https://www.hondaprokevin.com/new-2022-honda-cb350-rs-motorcycle-usa-release-date

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 10:28:38 pm
The H’ness is reportedly selling very well in India so RE is probably willing to make a bit less per sale than the Meteor or Classic to gain market share.

The reports that I've seen show the H'ness is selling at a distant 4th in a field of 5 in the 350cc segment, with #1, #2, #3 and #5 all being Royal Enfield products.  The Honda's have about a 7% share of the market.  They don't appear to be threatening RE much.

https://www.rushlane.com/350cc-motorcycle-sales-jan-2022-classic-cb350-meteor-bullet-12426675.html

Will the Hunter make it to the US at a proportional lower MSRP? Maybe. All depends on how fine RENA thinks they can slice their piece of the lightweight street bike pie - will it matter to them if Hunter sales cannibalize Meteor or Classic sales? Or will it give them higher total numbers? I hope we see it here it’s a good looking bike and should lend itself well to some buyer customization/personalization.

US sales represents about 14% of total exports.  Worldwide export sales of the 350s has been pretty good, representing perhaps 25 - 40% of total exports, but is still a small percentage of RE's production of 350s, because these machines are by far their best sellers domestically.  Here we can see that exports represent maybe 6 or 7% of RE's 350cc production.  https://globalcirculate.com/royal-enfield-sales-breakup-may-2022/amp/

I'd say that whether they offer the Hunter in the US or not will scarcely affect RE's bottom line.  Personally, I'm skeptical that Meteors or Classic 350s are selling well in the USA.  The Classic 500 underperformed sales expectations here, the 500 Bullets did even worse, and the US market on the whole is contracting year on year.

RENA should be marketing their entire 350 line as the solution to fuel price inflation. 

scott_650

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: June 23, 2022, 01:52:10 pm
The reports that I've seen show the H'ness is selling at a distant 4th in a field of 5 in the 350cc segment, with #1, #2, #3 and #5 all being Royal Enfield products.  The Honda's have about a 7% share of the market.  They don't appear to be threatening RE much.

https://www.rushlane.com/350cc-motorcycle-sales-jan-2022-classic-cb350-meteor-bullet-12426675.html

US sales represents about 14% of total exports.  Worldwide export sales of the 350s has been pretty good, representing perhaps 25 - 40% of total exports, but is still a small percentage of RE's production of 350s, because these machines are by far their best sellers domestically.  Here we can see that exports represent maybe 6 or 7% of RE's 350cc production.  https://globalcirculate.com/royal-enfield-sales-breakup-may-2022/amp/

I'd say that whether they offer the Hunter in the US or not will scarcely affect RE's bottom line.  Personally, I'm skeptical that Meteors or Classic 350s are selling well in the USA.  The Classic 500 underperformed sales expectations here, the 500 Bullets did even worse, and the US market on the whole is contracting year on year.

RENA should be marketing their entire 350 line as the solution to fuel price inflation.

7% share of a market as big as India’s isn’t bad though I’m sure Honda wants to do better. The talk of exporting the H’ness could be a reflection of sales in India not meeting expectations…or that the bike is interesting enough that European and NA dealers/distributors want it too.

The older 500s (even the UCE versions) aren’t really comparable to the new Meteor/Classic 350 - the older bikes were pretty much what they looked like, new manufacture antiques (nothing wrong with that - they were fascinating machines!) but the new bikes are up to date, contemporary motorcycles that just look vintage. I’ve ridden both, short rides - not long-term ownership or anything - but long enough to know that they’re very different bikes.

As far as sales success of the 350s go the only gauge I have is how quickly they go in and out of availability on the  dealer websites in my area - from that vantage point they seem to be selling well in Ohio and Western PA. I’m pretty much sure that a Classic 350 is going to be in my garage in the near future (couple things need done before that happens soon as I get the time). It appears to me that two factors could be having a negative impact on 350 sales in the US - availability of dealerships and the baby elephant in the room, the engine output. For my riding style and environment a 70-ish MPH top speed is just fine but that may not work (for real or as a perception) for a number of potential buyers.

It’s unfortunate that the US market apparently isn’t big enough to warrant a more powerful version of the 350 - with the mild state of tune the engine is in I can’t think that 5-8 more HP wouldn’t be hard for the factory to come by without changing the sweet nature of the motor.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #12 on: June 23, 2022, 08:42:14 pm
It’s unfortunate that the US market apparently isn’t big enough to warrant a more powerful version of the 350 - with the mild state of tune the engine is in I can’t think that 5-8 more HP wouldn’t be hard for the factory to come by without changing the sweet nature of the motor.
You might want to wait for the 500cc version of the "J" OHC engine, (which our local RENA guy told me in late summer 2021 is already in development).  I expect this be just what you are asking for, power-wise and with very little penalty in fuel economy.

I think that development of the 500 model will be very easy for RE to keep a lid on, the machines will likely look identical to production 350s.  They'll want to keep a lid on it too, because once out, it's almost sure to GUT US sales of 350s, kind of like what happened to the 500 UCEs in the US when the 650s came out.  There's just not not enough space between the ~$4600 dealers are asking for the 350s and the ~$6200 they want for a 650, to position the 500 so that price will factor in.  It's hard to imagine that a US rider is going to be convinced to downsize for $800.

Maybe when gas gets to $10/gallon, RE will start publishing fuel efficiency on their specification document.  In India it's right at the top of page one.  This is the one area where the RE long stroke single really shines, and the USA just doesn't care.

scott_650

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: June 24, 2022, 11:26:57 am
You might want to wait for the 500cc version of the "J" OHC engine, (which our local RENA guy told me in late summer 2021 is already in development).  I expect this be just what you are asking for, power-wise and with very little penalty in fuel economy.

Dang nab it! That makes buying a 350 now a tough decision. You’re right, a 500 version of the J motor sounds absolutely lovely - as long as it keeps the mellow nature of the 350 and doesn’t end up on the harsh side. Regardless of the style, Hunter or Classic - no Meteor for me since I don’t care for the riding position (though it is a pretty bike) - RE will sell me a single eventually.

andif62

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: June 24, 2022, 01:12:45 pm
Waiting for a 500 version of the J engine could take rather long. If it ever happens at all…
Royal Enfield Classic 350 Chrome Red
BMW F800GS