Author Topic: A really great screwdriver.  (Read 1714 times)

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 01, 2022, 12:05:09 pm
This is my really great screwdriver the Picquic it comes with a magazine that holds the bits it takes many options including hex key, pozi, Philips, flat head just to name a few, this is my second one l have had the 1st one for about 20 years, this new version is equipped with a spanner attachment point for really difficult fasteners, it is corrosion resistant and comes with shatter proof handle, these are exceptional quality and precision engineered the only screwdriver you will need in your toolkit they are made in Canada and available on eBay posted to your home address.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 12:17:55 pm by Carl Fenn »

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 05:00:01 pm
Wow! It's even got one of those square Robertson head (#2) bits so beloved by our cousins to the frozen north, but which are seldom seem "South of the Border" except in RVs for some reason. The "Mariner" model shown, being done in some sort of electro-free nickel process is said to have a highly corrosion-resistant finish, particularly suitable for boating, so I'd have to concur with you that this fellow might be just the ticket for stowing into an often damp side or toolbox.

Down at the bottom-feeder end of the pool, I've always been a fan of Harbor Freight's sort of similar 4-in-1 shown here: https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-1-screwdriver-with-tpr-handle-61988.html. In days gone by they used to be a perennial "Free with Any Purchase" item that I used to grab up from time to time. So, I have them strategically salted wherever a quick screwdriver might be needed. Its bits are astonishingly robust and well made, and the handle affords pretty firm purchase on things. It lacks the Mariner's wrenchable bit on the shaft, but you could do worse for 2 bucks. The trick is to try a few in the store and find one where that central bit-holding shaft slides in and out of the handle nicely but with little play, as some can be a bit stiff or (less often) sloppy.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 05:12:51 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 09:56:03 pm
Down at the bottom-feeder end of the pool, I've always been a fan of Harbor Freight's sort of similar 4-in-1 shown here: https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-1-screwdriver-with-tpr-handle-61988.html.  It lacks the Mariner's wrenchable bit on the shaft, but you could do worse for 2 bucks. The trick is to try a few in the store and find one where that central bit-holding shaft slides in and out of the handle nicely but with little play, as some can be a bit stiff or (less often) sloppy.
One can grab the hex sections of the double ended bits with a 6" vise grip to create a poor man's right angle screwdriver.  Or, remove the handle and use a deep well socket over the hex section to mate the shaft assembly to a ratchet drive.  Those hex shanks on the bits are standard sizes, which generally gives one a 1/4" and 5/16" socket driver with one or the other of the double ended bits removed from the tube.  This same design is made in various forms by a myriad of makers, as is the design Carl posted, with wide variation in quality.

I find hex to square adaptors to be the key to lots of improvised tool configurations:   https://www.harborfreight.com/hex-shank-socket-driver-set-3-pc-68513.html
A 1/4" square drive to 1/4" hex socket performs the similar role in a female / female form to give lots of options.

There's still a few jobs these tools don't do as well as old school screwdrivers, like opening paint cans or acting as a cold chisel or dandelion puller.

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 12:28:21 am
Well the thing l like about these is the engineering quality and the bits that seem indestructible, they are also magnetic so they can’t come out l have had my old one for decades and the bits are still as good as new, this is real quality you can pick them up for 20 bucks and it won’t let you down, l think with this new one someone will still be using it when l am dead and buried and a Skelton that’s what you call a good product made to last now that is a glimpse into the future.

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 12:38:39 am
Well l just had a good look at the bottom feeder l can’t say that appealed to my inner nature, that’s not saying l would not use it if l were stranded on Mars but wouldn’t be my first choice can’t see that lasting decades, it’s often said a good watch you don’t buy very often.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 07:29:36 pm
I found this little Black & Decker set to be useful enough that it earned a spot in my primary tool box while I was between jobs and working as a handyman.

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Black-Decker-Handy-Driver-Bit-Set-7-pieces-with-Storage-Case-NEW/1158420450?goog_pla=1
https://www.ebay.com/itm/122460245678

All the bits, plus the extension, fit inside the palm handle, which doubles as the carrying case with a flip-open lid.  I added a 1/4" hex to 1/4" square adapter to my kit, so mine can also drive small sockets.  A 1/4" SQ to 3/8" SQ adapter could be included that would extend  use to low-torque large sockets, like sparkplugs, but an adapter that size won't fit inside the handle, and I wouldn't trust the plastic handle to manage large amounts of torque.  The handle does not ratchet, it's a fixed socket.

Cheap, light, compact and versatile.  I'd consider this an upgrade to the very cheap screwdrivers included in most Moto tool kits.

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 10:53:40 am
Would come in handy cheap at that, well the reason l bought the picquics they were on special offer based on how long my first has lasted l will never have to buy another in my lifetime made good economic sense at least, many of my tools have lasted a lifetime glad to say. When ever l break out the 70s socket sets it’s a Pandora’s box of memories decades of flash backs suddenly flood my mind like those old 70s BSA bikes, some good others sad they all seem to locked in those metal cases when l open them up, but no memories in the new ones alas, the old ones are like some magical toy taking you back decades and decades in time to past gone days. A real live time machine the memories seem like they only happened yesterday when in reality over four decades ago.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 11:26:40 am by Carl Fenn »

viczena

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 11:39:27 am
I bought 2 of them. The corrosion resistant feature was the main argument when transport it on a motorcycle.
www.enfieldtech.de
Harley CVO EGlide, Boss Hoss 502, BMW 1200 RT, Harley Panhead , Harley Davidson &Marlboro Man Bike BD2, Royal Enfield Trials, KTM EXC 500. And some more.

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 04:22:14 pm
Well they are good enough quality to buy and forget a pro driver.