Author Topic: I finally have my Interceptor, but the fun didnt last long  (Read 7969 times)

hehehemann

• Bulleteer
Finally brought home the INT650 today. Rode it home from the dealer, about a 45 min ride, it was a blast, very smooth, good acceleration, even though it was only using half the rev range whilst I break it in and very nice and planted on the curvy roads.

Got it in to the garage and went ahead and did my first mod. Changed out the brake/running light to one recommended on the forum that gives a nice 5 flash strobe before going solid.
Looks great.

Then my friend said to come on over and meet up for a bite to eat, he wants to see the bike. Get dressed in my gear, open the garage, jump on the bike and it wont start.

Fuel pump primes, pressing the starter gives me a click from the relay area but nothing else. Took off the seat, checked the roll over sensor and it was fine, looked at the relays, could see white paste, checked to see if all connectors were in place, tried moving them around but the same results.

Not sure what else to check. Any ideas?

Been searching on here so ordered new relays and will get some electrical contact cleaner tomorrow and give them a good spray.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 06:54:30 am by hehehemann »
Previous: Suzuki GS500, Suzuki SV650s, Suzuki C50, Suzuki Bandit 1200, Triumph Sprint RS, Triumph Scrambler, Harley Davidson FXDC

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Kill switch or the stand is down and bike is in gear

hehehemann

• Bulleteer
Kill switch or the stand is down and bike is in gear

Just triple, triple checked. Kill switch is open, bike fuel pump will prime, stand is up and I have it in neutral. Just hear clicks from the relay. No start.
Previous: Suzuki GS500, Suzuki SV650s, Suzuki C50, Suzuki Bandit 1200, Triumph Sprint RS, Triumph Scrambler, Harley Davidson FXDC

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Just triple, triple checked. Kill switch is open, bike fuel pump will prime, stand is up and I have it in neutral. Just hear clicks from the relay. No start.

Battery?

John Mullen

• Bulleteer
Sounds like a low battery??  What does the battery voltage read?

Mav

• Bulleteer
  • Nottingham UK
Battery low, or the battery terminals aren’t tight.
2023 Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro
2019 Royal Enfield Interceptor

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Put some jump leads on it. It does sound like the battery is flat.
Unless the battery is a duff one (possible) you probably did something wrong that left a drain on the battery.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

supercub

• Grease Monkey
Must be a simple thing. Could be a little oxidation on the battery terminals. Take a voltage reading across the battery, should be about 12.7 volts. If not the issue  check the harness connectors, making sure they are plugged all of the way in.
2021 Conti GT650 "Ice Queen"
1965 Honda CB160
2016 Honda CB500
2019 Suzuki TU250
Other project bikes

pedro__

• Scooter
First day and already something wrong lol, RE gods blessed your bike  ;D ;D
Speedfight 50cc 1997 , Interceptor 650 2021

Shifty1969

• Shifty
  • Bulleteer
Put it on a trickle charge for a few hours, even if you get 12.7, these things are finicky about their battery, mine did the same thing twice over the winter. Good luck and welcome!
Just cause you ain’t paranoid,don’t mean they ain’t out to get you!

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: May 29, 2022, 01:31:22 pm
They didn’t bless the battery.

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #11 on: May 29, 2022, 02:38:11 pm
I usually reexamine the last thing I did to the bike.
You said "Got it in to the garage and went ahead and did my first mod. Changed out the brake/running light to one recommended on the forum that gives a nice 5 flash strobe before going solid.
Looks great."
Maybe (hopefully) something is draining the battery.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

thatonedad

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: May 29, 2022, 02:43:58 pm
I don't want to state an obvious but if you are in gear and with the kickstand down or just in gear without the clutch engaged you are not going to get anything.

GravyDavy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: May 29, 2022, 05:54:51 pm
My bike did the same within a couple days of getting it home. Sudden battery death syndrome. Replaced the battery and all has been well ever since, going on three years now.

If you have a voltmeter, put it on the battery and see what happens when you try to start the bike. If it's around 12.5 volts with the key on, and drops below about 9 volts (or in my case, near zero) when trying to crank, you likely have a defective battery. If it stays near 12 volts, look for a different problem.

hehehemann

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: May 29, 2022, 08:48:38 pm
Thanks for everyones input!!

Checked battery and its showing 12.65v. The dealer did install a trickle charger cable so I checked through that. Turning on the power results in 12.18v, cranking the starter does not change the voltage. I will put it on a trickle charge next.

Going to try cleaning all the relays too and see if that helps. Would I hear the relay click when I push the starter (like it does now) if the battery or relay was faulty?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 08:56:22 pm by hehehemann »