Author Topic: What oil you using  (Read 13284 times)

Ton1959

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #105 on: June 24, 2022, 05:29:45 pm

fireypete

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #106 on: June 25, 2022, 11:46:01 pm
Sorry All......Its Penrite  not Penzoil  :-X
Penrite
Penrite
Penrite
My Bad

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #107 on: June 26, 2022, 01:44:05 am
Sorry All......Its Penrite  not Penzoil  :-X
Penrite
Penrite
Penrite
My Bad

For fun I just checked. Penrite recommend only their fully synthetic product for the 650s and even say no substitution (meaning in their view no other oil in their range is suitable).  Neither that oil or the semi synthetic one meet the Jaso MA2 standard as specified by Enfield for what it’s worth
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

Longway

• Scooter
Reply #108 on: June 26, 2022, 02:10:10 am
Castrol power 1 sounds the go then.

hehehemann

• Bulleteer
Reply #109 on: June 26, 2022, 02:25:55 am
Castrol power 1 sounds the go then.

Thats what I just used for my first service oil change. Fully Synthetic 10w50 and JSMAO2 approved. Bought 6 quarts on Amazon for $48. Its basically a full oil change for $24 which I think is a good value.

Bike runs as good as it did before, I havent had the magic after oil change smoother shifts and easy neutrals because it didnt lack this before the oil change. The bike has always been super smooth and neutral always easy to find.
Previous: Suzuki GS500, Suzuki SV650s, Suzuki C50, Suzuki Bandit 1200, Triumph Sprint RS, Triumph Scrambler, Harley Davidson FXDC

Longway

• Scooter
Reply #110 on: June 26, 2022, 11:00:18 pm
Thats what I just used for my first service oil change. Fully Synthetic 10w50 and JSMAO2 approved. Bought 6 quarts on Amazon for $48. Its basically a full oil change for $24 which I think is a good value.

Bike runs as good as it did before, I havent had the magic after oil change smoother shifts and easy neutrals because it didnt lack this before the oil change. The bike has always been super smooth and neutral always easy to find.
Did you do your first service hehe? How many kms/mls you have now?
I’m at 420 kms and not sure if I will do it myself ( forfeit warranty) or pay a ridiculous sum to get it serviced by the dealership. To get my bike transported 100 kms is $320 each way plus service so over $1000 I’d say, decisions decisions

hehehemann

• Bulleteer
Reply #111 on: June 26, 2022, 11:26:43 pm
Did you do your first service hehe? How many kms/mls you have now?
I’m at 420 kms and not sure if I will do it myself ( forfeit warranty) or pay a ridiculous sum to get it serviced by the dealership. To get my bike transported 100 kms is $320 each way plus service so over $1000 I’d say, decisions decisions

I did the service myself. The dealer I bought the bike from told me it will not void the warranty, just document the service and what I did and follow the checklist in the manual.
I had 365 miles on my bike when I did it. Now I'm at 520 miles. No leaks, all sounds good and it rides excellent. Knowing I can do servicing myself makes me feel great too :)
I followed you tube videos for the valve adjustments. The left side was all fine, the right side was quite loose. It was very easy to complete. I'm fairly good mechanically and follow instruction well. This was the first valve adjustment I had ever done too.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 11:30:20 pm by hehehemann »
Previous: Suzuki GS500, Suzuki SV650s, Suzuki C50, Suzuki Bandit 1200, Triumph Sprint RS, Triumph Scrambler, Harley Davidson FXDC

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650
Reply #112 on: June 27, 2022, 12:48:47 am
I followed you tube videos for the valve adjustments. The left side was all fine, the right side was quite loose.

I think you're the first to report loose clearances at first service. Generally they're tight, having bedded in some..

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #113 on: June 27, 2022, 02:00:58 am
I think you're the first to report loose clearances at first service. Generally they're tight, having bedded in some..

Agreed, never heard of loose tappets at the break in service but most tight
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

fireypete

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #114 on: June 27, 2022, 03:54:06 am
How odd.  The Penrite site I'm using states
Base Oil: Semi Synthetic
Viscosity: SAE 10W-40
For Petrol / E10, Racing vehicles
Key Specifications: API SN, JASO MA, JASO MA2

AND...
Base Oil: Full Synthetic
For Petrol / E10, Diesel, Racing, LPG vehicles
Key Specifications: API SN/CF, JASO MA2.

A Penrite semi or full meets JASO 2.  I didnt bother highlighting correct viscosity, just the first that appeared
I spoke to Penrite, the fella said that whilst a semi synthetic could be a good choice, he and the site cannot recommend anything except the manufactures recommendations due to liability issues. 
For me, I do let oil change intervals dictate the oil I use.  If I want to stretch out to 10000k, which would be an entire years riding it would have to be the best oil, but as I drop the oil every 5-6000k, an expensive full pao ester would be a waste.  As an offshoot for Aussies, Penrite make a car/light diesel oil that is not friction modified and meet JASO MA. and can be used in bikes.  At a considerable saving to M/C dedicated oils.  Ahhh so may options, ya pays ya money, ya makes ya choices!

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #115 on: June 27, 2022, 12:33:33 pm
How odd.  The Penrite site I'm using states
Base Oil: Semi Synthetic
For Petrol / E10, Racing vehicles
Key Specifications: API SN, JASO MA, JASO MA2

AND...
Base Oil: Full Synthetic
For Petrol / E10, Diesel, Racing, LPG vehicles
Key Specifications: API SN/CF, JASO MA2.

A Penrite semi or full meets JASO 2.  I didnt bother highlighting correct viscosity, just the first that appeared
I spoke to Penrite, the fella said that whilst a semi synthetic could be a good choice, he and the site cannot recommend anything except the manufactures recommendations due to liability issues. 
For me, I do let oil change intervals dictate the oil I use.  If I want to stretch out to 10000k, which would be an entire years riding it would have to be the best oil, but as I drop the oil every 5-6000k, an expensive full pao ester would be a waste.  As an offshoot for Aussies, Penrite make a car/light diesel oil that is not friction modified and meet JASO MA. and can be used in bikes.  At a considerable saving to M/C dedicated oils.  Ahhh so may options, ya pays ya money, ya makes ya choices!

Yep. Same here. Hasn't done any harm to my machines that I can tell. But to each their own. After seeing a grillion oil threads I think the best advice to give is that if you don't have enough knowledge, experience or confidence to make up your own mind, you should 100% stick to what the manufacturer recommends. That's not to say I don't enjoy the inevitable squabbles. I love an oil war as much as anyone.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E