Author Topic: New owner questions.  (Read 7603 times)

Blaqkfox

• Bulleteer
  • 2008 Electra USA
on: February 17, 2022, 06:31:44 am
After weeks of trying to find online groups, emailing royal Enfield, hitchcocks, Graham Scarth, etc with no response I’m happy to find this forum. I have some questions I just need definitive answers to about the 2008 Electra 500 I recently bought. (Is the Electra and Electra X the same thing? Mine only says Electra on the side cover, but does say 499cc on the back of the cover).

I bought this bike not running (typical of me), royals are pretty rare where I’m from. In fact this is the first one I’ve ever seen in person so I snagged it. I’m in the USA.

My biggest question right now is does the mixture screw on the UCAL BS29 carb have a spring on it factory? Because if it does mine is missing.

I’ve been using hitchcocks website to reference the diagram and it kinda looks like there is a spring drawn in the photo but it’s too blurry to tell, and they don’t list it which makes me confused, because they do list the o ring and washer at the tapered end, which makes me think it needs a screw to hold those in place.typical mixture screw stuff right? Well this is where I get extra confused. You can screw the mixture screw all the way in without a spring. Mine was a whopping 7 turns out when I checked it while disassembling the carb to clean. Who knows why. But do I need a spring here? And does it need to be an extra specific size? I found one at work from another carb kit that seems like it’ll work with an extra washer or two to space it out.

If I can’t get this part I might ditch this knock off mikuni carb and go with something else. Seems like people like the PWK 30 and they’re only like $30 on Amazon. Or maybe I’ll get a amal or mikuni carb, I don’t really care about power additive, I know this bike won’t be a power house by any means, I just want some tune-ability and parts accessibility, but if I can gain a little more power while I’m at it then that’s icing on the cake.

What are the differences with the USA bikes? Hitchcocks is confusing me with their “India built” and “USA” tags for parts. If I understand correctly any bike after 77(?) is Indian made, but the USA model has some differences like a smaller headlight, and in this year, 2008, USA still got the older carbureted engine instead of new EFI engine that Europe got. It also gained a 5 speed in 2008 I believe? Mine is the 5 speed left hand toe shift anyways. I read it was a right foot 5 speed I thought so maybe mines had some sort of aftermarket left shift kit installed previously or maybe it’s factory for usdm models?

I did get the bike to run for a split second. So I know it can run it just needs some small stuff sorted. They had the wrong spark plug in it (a #7 NGK- two stages hotter than it should have) and it wasn’t in great shape. The carb pilot jet was clogged so bad it took guitar string to clean it. The choke cable was busted, and somebody incorrectly put red kote in the tank or some kind of red tank sealant. It’s all just a big puddle coating only the entire bottom of the tank and flaking up and clogging the fuel tap. They even left the plastic bag it comes in inside the tank 🤦🏻. But if I can get the carb straightened out and throw a new plug in it and acetone the tank to remove the sealant I think she’ll run perfectly fine!

Thanks, sorry for the novel and what I’m sure are questions that have been covered a time or two on here.
-Adam

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 12:49:24 pm
Hi from the UK,

the model name "Electra" can refer to several different motorcycles, it was applied to a range of 350 iron barrel Bullets for the Indian home market with electronic ignition. These were quite popular in India, so the name continued with some of the 350 UCE Bullets over there.

The Electra-X was the first of the 500cc AVL lean burn engine Bullets purely for the export market, built between 2004 and 2007. Yours might have sat in a dealer's show room for a while if it has a 2008 title. Not everyone liked the styling on Electra-X, and latter 500 AVL imports in the USA were a different model known as the AVL Classic. Same engine and gearbox as the Electra-X, but with traditional Indian Bullet tinware and a drum front brake instead of the disk.

The Indian-built Bullets go back as far as the late 1950s, while British-built Royal Enfields didn't finally cease production until 1969/70. The last pre-unit Bullets built in the UK were around 1961/2.

Not sure about your CV carb query as my Electra-X came with the UK importer's Dell'Orto carb conversion from new. The BS29 Ucal/Mikarb CV was however used on the 350 UCE models in India until recently, plenty of repair kits on eBay which look as though they DO have a spring for the air screw, though it's possible that on older versions it's just held in by an O-ring.

There is plenty of choice for after-market carburettors. The PWK30 was in fact used in a kit offered by the former US importer, so that's definitely an option. I think they're still available from some US eBay suppliers, but if you source your own (cheaper!) you will need a one-piece rubber mounting flange with 60mm centers to fit the cylinder head.

When you do get around to taking the carb off you might be surprised by the inlet port, it's way bigger than needed for a 29mm carb, sort of an oval shape 32x36mm. This is with a 1½" Amal GP carb spacer for comparison.

Couldn't resist...

So if you ever DID want to go beyond a basic tune-up there's scope for a 36 or even a 38mm carb if you wanted. My current AVL-engined bitsa is very happy with a Dell'Orto PHF36. None of this is any use with an OEM exhaust which is deliberately restrictive to get the lean-burn combustion to work. You'd need to replace the pipe as well as the muffler to free up any performance, even for a modest hike in output. It is possible to tune (i.e. richen up) the Mikarb for more performance but there are better suited carbs.

Differences between the US and UK specification Electra-Xs are quite few. The US DoT mandated adjustable 5¾" headlamp unit instead of the normal British-style 7" was because Washington bureaucrats weren't happy with the limited adjustment available with the inner headlamp rim on the casquette headlamp casting. I can't remember if the UK models can have the lights on with the ignition turned off, but US models certainly won't. Not sure if the rear license plate mount/tail lights are the same.

Try Champion N3C for your spark plug, or N4C if that's too hard a grade.

The 5-speed gearbox was fitted from the beginning on this model (all markets). Left foot shift is actually stock on these bikes, though many owners who have ridden old British bikes prefer the right-foot shift conversion.

The Electra-X is an underrated model, get a good one, let it breathe and you have a fun bike. There are some mechanical issues, all fixable, but read up on the past posts just in case any of these come your way.

A.

Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 01:17:19 pm
More about the PWK carbs, you might find this from JRC Engineering helpful.

https://www.jrcengineering.com/technical-support/jrc-pwk-carb-instructions/

If you scroll down there's a table of different carb size and jetting recommendations for various motorcycles, I see for the 500 AVL they recommend a 32mm PWK with a #42 pilot jet, #145 main, stock needle in center groove, good for an elevation of up to 2,500 feet! They will even sell you one with a 60mm centers alloy flange bonded on, though not for $30, I suspect...

https://www.jrcengineering.com/product/jrc-32a/

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 03:41:04 pm
After weeks of trying to find online groups, emailing royal Enfield, hitchcocks, Graham Scarth, etc with no response I’m happy to find this forum. I have some questions I just need definitive answers to about the 2008 Electra 500 I recently bought. (Is the Electra and Electra X the same thing? Mine only says Electra on the side cover, but does say 499cc on the back of the cover).

I bought this bike not running (typical of me), royals are pretty rare where I’m from. In fact this is the first one I’ve ever seen in person so I snagged it. I’m in the USA.

My biggest question right now is does the mixture screw on the UCAL BS29 carb have a spring on it factory? Because if it does mine is missing.

I’ve been using hitchcocks website to reference the diagram and it kinda looks like there is a spring drawn in the photo but it’s too blurry to tell, and they don’t list it which makes me confused, because they do list the o ring and washer at the tapered end, which makes me think it needs a screw to hold those in place.typical mixture screw stuff right? Well this is where I get extra confused. You can screw the mixture screw all the way in without a spring. Mine was a whopping 7 turns out when I checked it while disassembling the carb to clean. Who knows why. But do I need a spring here? And does it need to be an extra specific size? I found one at work from another carb kit that seems like it’ll work with an extra washer or two to space it out.

If I can’t get this part I might ditch this knock off mikuni carb and go with something else. Seems like people like the PWK 30 and they’re only like $30 on Amazon. Or maybe I’ll get a amal or mikuni carb, I don’t really care about power additive, I know this bike won’t be a power house by any means, I just want some tune-ability and parts accessibility, but if I can gain a little more power while I’m at it then that’s icing on the cake.

What are the differences with the USA bikes? Hitchcocks is confusing me with their “India built” and “USA” tags for parts. If I understand correctly any bike after 77(?) is Indian made, but the USA model has some differences like a smaller headlight, and in this year, 2008, USA still got the older carbureted engine instead of new EFI engine that Europe got. It also gained a 5 speed in 2008 I believe? Mine is the 5 speed left hand toe shift anyways. I read it was a right foot 5 speed I thought so maybe mines had some sort of aftermarket left shift kit installed previously or maybe it’s factory for usdm models?

I did get the bike to run for a split second. So I know it can run it just needs some small stuff sorted. They had the wrong spark plug in it (a #7 NGK- two stages hotter than it should have) and it wasn’t in great shape. The carb pilot jet was clogged so bad it took guitar string to clean it. The choke cable was busted, and somebody incorrectly put red kote in the tank or some kind of red tank sealant. It’s all just a big puddle coating only the entire bottom of the tank and flaking up and clogging the fuel tap. They even left the plastic bag it comes in inside the tank 🤦🏻. But if I can get the carb straightened out and throw a new plug in it and acetone the tank to remove the sealant I think she’ll run perfectly fine!

Thanks, sorry for the novel and what I’m sure are questions that have been covered a time or two on here.

Hey, welcome.

Adrian's about covered it as he usually can & does. He's an excellent source of all kinds of info from the esoteric to the pragmatic.

Yes, there was a spring on your fuel/air mixture screw at one time, but godonlyknows where you'll find one. The spring was just to prevent the screw moving in or out from vibration. Probably not a huge problem to be without it.

Adrian, I believe the mixture screw on the BS 29 is a fuel screw, not an air screw. Do I remember that right? It's been a long time.

There are BS 29s on Ebay for $100-$120. That would be one way to get a mixture screw spring (and a new vacuum diaphragm). The Mikuni TM 32 would be another choice for you. That and a new open header pipe and muffler. Your header pipe has a very restrictive "hot tube" in the muffler end that needs to be cut out (OR a new open pipe).

You can also find complete rebuild kits for BS 29s with a little searching.

Your left side gear shift lever is factory standard, not a bodge job. Mine shifts like a dream, click, click, no problem. Just hit neutral just before you come to a stop. I never have trouble hitting neutral as some have, even from first at a dead stop. It's just habit for me to click neutral just before I stop. I don't sit with the clutch pulled.

PS: If you have front drum brakes it's a Classic. If you have a front disc brake it's an Electra-X. The engines are the same. My Classic's engine has Electra inspection stickers all over it.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 03:52:28 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 04:10:23 pm
Hi from the UK,

A.

Just for general info: when you're playing with various spark plugs remember to be sure you research how their heat range numbers go. NGKs are hotter as the number goes lower. Champions are hotter as the number goes higher; an N4C is hotter than an N3C.

I'm using an N4C now. I like the overall look of the 4 over the 3 although I can feel no difference in how it runs.

And I think every plug in the world now has a Chinese ripoff copy so good luck to you if you can tell the difference. The last 2 4-packs of Champions I bought; one was Made in USA, the other Made in Mexico.   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

richard211

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 04:11:15 pm
Yes there is supposed to be a spring on the mixture adjustment screw, the part number is 500862 (Spring, Pilot screw). 

richard211

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 08:47:36 am
Adding a photo of the mixture screw with the spring and rubber o-ring.

Blaqkfox

• Bulleteer
  • 2008 Electra USA
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2022, 05:32:16 pm
Hi from the UK,

the model name "Electra" can refer to several different motorcycles, it was applied to a range of 350 iron barrel Bullets for the Indian home market with electronic ignition. These were quite popular in India, so the name continued with some of the 350 UCE Bullets over there.

The Electra-X was the first of the 500cc AVL lean burn engine Bullets purely for the export market, built between 2004 and 2007. Yours might have sat in a dealer's show room for a while if it has a 2008 title. Not everyone liked the styling on Electra-X, and latter 500 AVL imports in the USA were a different model known as the AVL Classic. Same engine and gearbox as the Electra-X, but with traditional Indian Bullet tinware and a drum front brake instead of the disk.

The Indian-built Bullets go back as far as the late 1950s, while British-built Royal Enfields didn't finally cease production until 1969/70. The last pre-unit Bullets built in the UK were around 1961/2.

Not sure about your CV carb query as my Electra-X came with the UK importer's Dell'Orto carb conversion from new. The BS29 Ucal/Mikarb CV was however used on the 350 UCE models in India until recently, plenty of repair kits on eBay which look as though they DO have a spring for the air screw, though it's possible that on older versions it's just held in by an O-ring.

There is plenty of choice for after-market carburettors. The PWK30 was in fact used in a kit offered by the former US importer, so that's definitely an option. I think they're still available from some US eBay suppliers, but if you source your own (cheaper!) you will need a one-piece rubber mounting flange with 60mm centers to fit the cylinder head.

When you do get around to taking the carb off you might be surprised by the inlet port, it's way bigger than needed for a 29mm carb, sort of an oval shape 32x36mm. This is with a 1½" Amal GP carb spacer for comparison.

Couldn't resist...

So if you ever DID want to go beyond a basic tune-up there's scope for a 36 or even a 38mm carb if you wanted. My current AVL-engined bitsa is very happy with a Dell'Orto PHF36. None of this is any use with an OEM exhaust which is deliberately restrictive to get the lean-burn combustion to work. You'd need to replace the pipe as well as the muffler to free up any performance, even for a modest hike in output. It is possible to tune (i.e. richen up) the Mikarb for more performance but there are better suited carbs.

Differences between the US and UK specification Electra-Xs are quite few. The US DoT mandated adjustable 5¾" headlamp unit instead of the normal British-style 7" was because Washington bureaucrats weren't happy with the limited adjustment available with the inner headlamp rim on the casquette headlamp casting. I can't remember if the UK models can have the lights on with the ignition turned off, but US models certainly won't. Not sure if the rear license plate mount/tail lights are the same.

The 5-speed gearbox was fitted from the beginning on this model (all markets). Left foot shift is actually stock on these bikes, though many owners who have ridden old British bikes prefer the right-foot shift conversion.

The Electra-X is an underrated model, get a good one, let it breathe and you have a fun bike. There are some mechanical issues, all fixable, but read up on the past posts just in case any of these come your way.

A.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

This will be a bit of a novel so I apologize but I have updates and more questions, I hate leaving a thread dead and starting a new thread, because I know how difficult information can be to find a few years down the road perhaps this thread will help someone. Without further to do...

First and foremost: I'm trying to verify Hitchcocks told me right, they said the USA electra is different from the Electra X in that the USA electra uses the older "Sixty-5" frame with the lean burn engine, while the UK and elsewhere got a whole new frame. I know I have the lean burn AVL, I am not however sure I have the older sixty5 frame. Can anyone verify this? Or tell me how I can tell the two apart? I ask because the seat and other frame related parts I want to order will be dependent on which frame I have.

The bike now runs!

I have fixed the BS29 carb. Fortunately I started working at my Buddys vintage motorcycle shop recently, its been a learning curve for me because I have years of experience in the automotive world but never really got into bikes much, but I have owned a few. Everything I did was EFI usually so carbs and anything bike specific (like drive chain tension, forks, that sorta stuff) have been a bit of a learning curve for me, but an engine is an engine and I can build one with the best of them. Long story short, I was able to dig through the spare carb kits we had laying around the shop and managed to put together a shorter spring and shim it with some needle washers and an o-ring that seems to fit. I think my O-ring might be 1mm too large, I did order the correct 3mm o-ring from Hitchcocks so I have it laying in the shop if I need it.

Like I said, the bike runs, but I've yet to really ride it or run it for long periods of time. This is because my gas tank is pooched at the moment. I discovered the tank had red kote or some type of tank sealant that was failing. There was large chunks just floating in the gas tank. I took acetone and removed it. The tank looked fine, but I soon discovered one tiny pin hole. No rust in the tank so I assumed this happened from the bike being laid down oddly. But theres no dent in the gas tank so perhaps not. Perhaps somebody just cleaned the rust out before coating the tank. Long story short, I took the tank to work, we have a welder, but I've only ever welded 3 or 4 brackets up. I thought one small tack weld and ill be good to go, I'll just primer that area after the weld patch and order some knee grips to cover it since its in that area. NOT SO. As soon as I put a tack weld to it I burned a hole straight through, even with my welder on its lowest settings. Are these tanks metal super thin or is this likely the result of past rust thinning the metal out? For 4 hours I went back and fourth chasing holes I kept blowing in the tank, getting it looking solid just for it to fail holding liquid. I kept getting a few drips even though it looked like my weld was solid.

I cannot find a replacement tank that is exactly the same. so I have outsourced the welding to a buddy of mine, Im sure he will be able to repair it. I also have two spare kits of emblems I ordered in case we need to fully repaint the tank or whatever. I love these emblems. Theyre my favorite of all the RE emblems for some reason. They were hard to find, I had to pay $95 to get them here from the UK but well worth it imo.

So the bike runs but I've yet to tune the carb on it. I might bring the rig home that we have at work for tuning the carbs with the tank off. idk what its called, its just a large container to hold fuel with an inline valve. Im sure y'all know what im talking about. But im hoping to have my tank back later this week anyhow.

ALSO, I installed the 7in headlamp conversion kit I ordered from Hitchcocks. I did have some issues with fitment. the factory headlamp wiring on the bike side has 3 separate terminal leads that were quite long, and the new larger headlamp is deeper. This caused the wiring to hit the speedometer cable. Fortunately I have a CM400 Honda laying around in pieces which has that flat plastic connector for the same style headlight, so I was able to wire that in. It still is a very tight fit and presses on the speedo cable but it does fit with little force. When I emailed Hitchcocks about this they claimed I need the rubber piece that goes around the speedometer gauge as it angles it back further. Thing is, I already have one installed on my bike and it looks to be in fine shape. Maybe its shrunk over the years or something, I'm going to order a new rubber piece and see if it changes anything.

I also got the new ammeter gauge that has the newer euro look or whatever, I just liked the way it looked, updated the bikes appearance more than anything. It was direct plug and play. Although I do wonder about the calibration... the one and only time I ran the bike with the older factory ammeter gauge the gauge swung pretty wildly when the engine was revved, as it should, just the new gauge is much more tame and hardly moves at all. The battery is brand new and charged up.

I also gave the bike an oil change and tune up.

Its curious to me that y'all are running spark plugs with that low of a number rating. Hitchcocks recommended the B9ES. The previous owner had a B7ES I had pulled out of the bike. the 3 or 4 you guys are talking about seems like it would burn way too hot! Maybe the rating scale is different on that side of the pond? They may have put the B7ES in because I struggled to find a replacement for the B9ES. I found a BR9ES locally but it didn't have the removable tip so I couldn't plug it into the wire. There was also some Autolite brand that cross referenced at the parts store but had to be shipped in and I prefer the NGK on my older style bikes, so I just ordered the plug from Hitchcocks and installed it.

I also got their little clock since the only spot of rust on the bike was on the stem nut, so that covered that up and will also be handy. I couldn't tell a difference between the one they sell for $18 and the one they sell for $40 but I decided to be fancy and get the expensive one. It looks pretty good, but its a lot taller than I thought it would be. In hindsight I may just order that fancy electric gauge replacement they have, it has a build in clock and rev counter and a bunch of other cool features and I think would look better.

The last thing I'm struggling with is tires. I kinda want some dual sport tires, I live in the country side and have a long gravel driveway, but mostly ill be riding on the road, its a good 40-50 minute commute to the shop I work at down winding hilly back roads in the country side. I could take the interstate but most people drive 75-80mph and that feels like id be punishing this little single thumper engine for 40 minutes straight, it's not but 5-10 more minutes to take the back roads anyways. But most tires I find (sorry, "tyres") are too fat. The factory 3.25 and 3.5 come out to about 82.5mm and 90mm. Most the tires I find that I like, such as the shinko 705s are only made as small as a 100x19. Thats about a 3.9x19. Ive seen claims that a 110 (4.0) could fit the rear, but it seems like id be rubbing my swing arm. It'd be incredibly tight. I can fit about half a finger on each side of my tire between it and the swing arm. Im not sure about the front, Im about to run out to the shop and take some measurements. My front fender got tweaked slightly from whoever wrecked this bike and almost rubs the factory tire as is, I can always bend it back or order a new fender I suppose. I was just going to order tires through Hitchcocks but its expensive to have them shipped, luckily I can get the Dunlop K70 and other tires locally, but the confusing part is when I see tires on Hitchcocks like the ones offered for the trail bike that are still factory specs, like 3.25x19, but hickcocks fitment guide says it won't fit the electra x or sixty5. Oh, also as far as thats concerned if I have the sixty5 frame does that mean I need to be looking at tires that fit the sixty5 rather than the electra? Like are the fenders different between the USA electra and the UK electra X?

Here are some photos of the bike:

When I first got it:

During installing the headlight and other headlight housing parts:

-Adam

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 12, 2022, 11:15:59 pm
Your bike definitely IS the Electra-X, these were sold in the USA as well as the UK, Europe and Australasia. All EXACTLY the same model apart from the  5.75" headlamp unit for the US market. I had a black 2005 model same as yours, apart from the UK importer's go-faster kit and right-foot shift conversion. The model Hitchcocks' described to you was the AVL Classic (tooseevee's bike), but yours in NOT on of those. They were imported into the USA after the Electra-X, I'm guessing because not everybody like the Electra-X styling. Hitchcocks' still don't quite seem to have a handle on US models!

Tires/Tyres, any good 3.25 x 19 or 90/90 x 19 front, 3.50 x19 or 100/90 x 19 rear.

A.

Blaqkfox

• Bulleteer
  • 2008 Electra USA
Reply #9 on: March 13, 2022, 12:42:30 am
So hitchcocks is wrong then!

Verbatim in the email they sent me after I sent them photos and the vin etc:

The USA Electra model and the UK Electra X are different in as much as the USA has the leanburn engine mounted in the older Bullet frame, the UK bike uses a new frame and running gear so ordering parts can be tricky from our website. As a rule of thumb use this page for the engine parts :

https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbook/340/2008-electra-x

And this for the cycle parts :

https://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbook/112/2004-sixty-5

I think your bike may have a disc brake in which case refer to the Electra X pages – if in doubt – ask us !

Ok cool so I should just stick to the X when looking for a seat, that’s going to make things so much easier!

I hate to open this can of worms, but while we’re on the topic of hitchcocks, I also asked them if I should run the manual specified 15w40 (which is hard to find in my area) or if I should run 20w50 that I’ve heard that Peter Snidel guy recommends in his manual.

And hitchcocks told me to run 10w40 which I thought was a little odd. They claimed 20w50 would be “too thick for the pump”.

At any rate I live in the south where it’s warm all the time so I went ahead with the 10w40. That’s the most common motorcycle oil around here anyways so it’s easily accessible and not too far from spec.

I read a post the other day where mobil 1 and Amsoil both were talking about how manufacture test their oil at different temps than mobil 1 or Amsoil does, so Amsoil/mobil1 was saying their 10w40 is likely equivalent to a manufacturers 15w40.

I didn’t get anything fancy like mobil 1 or Amsoil of course, just the good old conventional stuff, i checked the back atleast to make sure it met all the appropriate marks. I figure just about anything will work in those old AVL engines these days anyhow.

Oh last thing, should I be adding any sort of Zinc additive with my oil? I used to do that with my 1980s bmws because oil back then had more zinc as a buffer in it than it does now. Granted the bike is a 2008 but aren’t these engines more or less the same as the older ones produced way back sometime in the 1950s or 1970s? I mean I know the lean burn updated to an aluminum jug but did the internals really change at all?
-Adam

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2022, 02:41:19 am
@ #7: "I could take the interstate but most people drive 75-80mph and that feels like I'd be punishing this little single thumper engine for 40 minutes straight, it's not but 5-10 more minutes to take the back roads anyways."
The Bullet rule of thumb is "55 forever, 65 for awhile, 80 one time". These are 1940's design daily drivers, low HP machines from a time when mostly only airplanes saw speeds of 75-80. Twisty backroads at 45-55 is where they excel. They require a "mechanically sympathetic" rider.

Tires - I've had good luck with the Duro HF308 4.00x19 on the rear, a 3.50 x19 K70 copy on the front. The current K70 is MUCH softer than the originals. The Duro will easily run 12,000 miles on the rear, the K70 maybe 4K. The K70 is grippy and holds up well on the front. The 4.00x19 fits in the rear with no rubbing and increases load capacity from 500 pounds up to 750 pounds, a useful feature for the "average American"... Your centerstand will still work just fine running the 4.00/3.50 combo. The Duro is a bit square and initially feels a bit "tippy" in corners, but wears in in about 350-500 miles. The OD is larger than the OEM 350/325, but the speedo (Vaguely-Borelli... ::) )likes the bigger rubber and the stock gearing seems good with it. My 500 runs well with this tire combo and a 17T countershaft sprocket.

Oil - virtually ANY modern oil is better than the lubes from 1940. Multiviscosity 15W-50 from Walmart or 20W-50 will work nicely. Probably 15W-40 would be OK, these engines don't tend to run hot when properly tuned. Change (oil & filter) early & change often, maybe every 500 - 1500(2000?) miles depending on how crudded up it gets. The additive TB Zinc gets a lot of good press here also. As the engine, primary chain/clutch & gearbox all run separate oils a low-friction engine additive does no harm.

Good hunting - ACR -
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #11 on: March 13, 2022, 09:43:24 am
Your bike has the later type of gear driven oil pumps (square covers). The earlier engines have plunger types (round covers). Yours would be less stressed pumping a less viscous oil than 20W/50. I’d have no worries about using a stock 10W/40 or 15W/40.

Hitchcock’s unfortunately don’t quite seem to have a full handle on all the complications on various bikes badged “Electra”. The name was confusingly used on a number of bikes, mine being one of them….which is again quite different to yours, despite it having exactly the same badges!
Paul W.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 13, 2022, 05:06:29 pm
So hitchcocks is wrong then!

As far as identifying your model, yes! If however you had sent them a copy of the picture with your e-mail they would have recognized it instantly, to be fair to them. But the fact that the USA had models not sold in the UK does not mean that the US didn't also receive some of the same models that we did. ??? Both and, rather than either/or. I think that's taking a while to sink in, they'll get it eventually.

Like the iron barrel Bullets, the AVL engines have flat-faced tappets running on the cams, so yes, some zinc additive is a good idea if the oil isn't particularly classic-friendly.

A.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 13, 2022, 11:39:04 pm
Tires/Tyres again.

The old UK importers used to sell trials-kit (sort of) fitted versions of the iron barrel and Electra-X Bullets, these were shod with Continental Twinduro TKC80s 100/90 x19 front and rear. Maybe a bit too chunky for mostly black-top use?

https://www.conti-bike.co.uk/tkc-80-twinduro/

A.

Blaqkfox

• Bulleteer
  • 2008 Electra USA
Reply #14 on: March 14, 2022, 02:19:07 am
Awesome! Thank you guys so much! It seemed everywhere I looked for information was a ghost town except for this forum and one group on the bookface I found called "Royal Enfield USA"!

So I'll get some zinc additive, I had a feeling that would be a good idea with the tappet setup and separate oil chambers on this old engine!

Also great info on the tires so thank you for that! Just wish I had read it before I ordered some Dunlop K70 tires last night ha.

My tank should get TIG welded this week and tires will be in soon, unfortunately my primary started leaking even though I just pulled it off for leaking and resealed it with permatex, but I was almost out so I ran the goop a little bit too thin probably. Either that or... well when I redid it the other night with the permatex goop I noticed the bottom of the case is proud of the case cover, I thought that was a bit strange. I figure thats normal though, nothing looks damaged, all bolts are line up straight, just weird to see that machined edge of the case protruding past the cover by a good 1\8 in give or take. Must be normal. I'm rambling again.

I defiantly want to get a better seat. Mine is pretty tore up and I think the factory electra seat just looks ugly. I quite prefer the single seat with the detachable rear pillion seat. Hitchcocks does have one that I like the look of, but its a bit on the cheap side for a seat so I wonder how comfort would be. Its this one:

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/39123?ref_page=Electra%20X

Im also curious about this seat, but im not a visionary and the picture is terrible so I wonder how it looks:

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/18667?ref_page=Electra%20X

Is there anywhere else I should look for a good seat?
-Adam