Author Topic: New guy on the block.....  (Read 5693 times)

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #15 on: February 03, 2022, 05:22:11 pm
All I can say is that I have been using Shell Rotella 15W-40 "conventional" oil in my Yamaha FZ1 for the past 20 years and it continues to run perfectly.

Interestingly, some owners of BMW F800GT bikes recently have said that they switched to 5W-40 Rotella full-synthetic oil and they claim their bikes are even running even better than when they were using the expensive BMW 15W-50 semi-synthetic oil recommended by the factory.  ??? (The same engine is used in my F650GS and since new I have been using conventional 10W-40 oil.)

So there you go. Oil is oil. It seems to lubricate well enough whatever you use. ;)

I'm inclined to believe the 5W-40 full synthetic could work well, the engine is taking rather long time to warm up. I've been on 10W-50 and 40 full synthetic, didn't notice any difference though.  ;D

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: February 08, 2022, 06:33:03 pm
Shell Rotella oil has a JASO rating. It won’t hurt your clutch.
  I’ll be watching to see who’s making headers. Years ago, I bought a Carpy for my CGT. I had the rear bottom bracket welded on, like the stock pipe. The Carpy did not have that lower attachment point.
  For getting more air in, this video shows the Air Kit for replacing the stock set up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ8zvV1Ti-A&t=4s
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: February 09, 2022, 02:38:45 am
I like that air kit.  How do I obtain one for my 2014 Continental GT?

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 09, 2022, 03:36:13 pm
I like that air kit.  How do I obtain one for my 2014 Continental GT?
Hi Captain Bob - You can use the PM here or get to the email at-

https://www.acemotorsonline.com
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Ratz

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: March 29, 2022, 03:30:58 pm
Hi Captain Bob, welcome to the forum from Germany!
The PO has put a GPR exhaust on my Conti. I don't know if this measure increased the power but certainly the GPR wheights only half of the original exhaust. Once you removed the Db eater it at least sounds faster  ;)
The GPR has a road legal certificate which is important in Germany - but not important for you...
...so you might look for a cheaper solution. May the sound be with you!!!

Cheers from the Bavarian Outback

Ralf

P.S. Could you post pictures of the Conti and the Woodsman?
2006 Bullet 500
2014 Continental GT
1996 Suzuki LS 650

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: March 29, 2022, 05:11:00 pm
Hi Ralf,
Thanks for the good words!  I got a kick out of your statement, "let the sound be with you".  LMAO!  I will check out the GPR exhaust.  Did the PO also install a PC5 and hi-flo air cleaner?  Here are pics of my bikes:

Ratz

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: March 30, 2022, 07:15:04 am
Hi, thanx for the pics! Sweet rides 8)
The PO installed a K&N, nothing else. Mine doesn't have to do the ton, I am looking for reliability.
You're owning a Softail as well? I owned a 77 Ironhead, she was a real bitch  ;D
All the best,
Ralf
2006 Bullet 500
2014 Continental GT
1996 Suzuki LS 650

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: March 31, 2022, 12:12:45 am
Ralf,
Yeah, I am not looking to do the ton on this little bike either.  A little more noise and a better tuned fuel map would make me a bit happier.  BTW, do you get Kult Rider Magazine?  It is printed in your country.  My Triumph Bonneville chopper was in the November 2021 issue.  The pic I have attached was in the October issue giving the readers a sneak preview of what is to come in November.  I got an 8 page spread in that mag.  There is a pic of me riding the chop.  I guess I am a centerfold!  lol

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #23 on: March 31, 2022, 12:14:13 am
Forgot to mention....  I just sold the chopper that is why it is no longer listed in my posts.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #24 on: March 31, 2022, 01:06:48 am
Oh man, that looks wicked! How much of that bad boy is made at home?

Also, you ought to pop over to the INT 650/CGT forum and see what some of those guys think about impractical and cool for the sake of it customising. My lord, they're very serious. They would detest your scooter  ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 01:09:20 am by gizzo »
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: March 31, 2022, 02:11:58 am
Oh man, that looks wicked! How much of that bad boy is made at home?

Also, you ought to pop over to the INT 650/CGT forum and see what some of those guys think about impractical and cool for the sake of it customising. My lord, they're very serious. They would detest your scooter  ;D

They obviously have no taste in motorcycles....    8)  I bought the chopper from the second owner.  It needed some serious help.  He had some very strange non period parts on the bike.  He also had the wiring all messed up.  The bike looked goofy and wasn't running even thought the engine was reasonably fresh.  I was able to fabricate some parts and also, source some of the original parts that were on the bike when it was built.  It turned out pretty good.  And oh BTW, after some minor surgery, this Triumph doesn't leak oil!  (and not because there isn't any in it!) lol

Attached is a pic of a 58 Pre-unit Triumph Bobber my son and I finished building last year.  This started off with just a pile of parts.  Lots of fabrication going on in that bike.  We did a complete rebuild of the engine and trans as well.  I would assume the guys over at the int 650/cgt forum wouldn't like this bike either!   ;D

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #26 on: March 31, 2022, 02:54:10 am
They obviously have no taste in motorcycles....   

Attached is a pic of a 58 Pre-unit Triumph Bobber my son and I finished building last year.  This started off with just a pile of parts.  Lots of fabrication going on in that bike.  We did a complete rebuild of the engine and trans as well.  I would assume the guys over at the int 650/cgt forum wouldn't like this bike either!   ;D

😂. I guess it's just the ones with the strong negative opinions that shout the loudest. I don't think they like my bobber either...
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #27 on: March 31, 2022, 01:41:02 pm
Gizzo, what a great looking bike.  Love the look and the stance.  Whose engine is that?  I bet it sounds great!  My son's bike (the one we built) is very loud, almost to loud.  Nice job on that bobber!

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: March 31, 2022, 02:06:25 pm
They obviously have no taste in motorcycles....    8)  I bought the chopper from the second owner.  It needed some serious help.  He had some very strange non period parts on the bike.  He also had the wiring all messed up.  The bike looked goofy and wasn't running even thought the engine was reasonably fresh.  I was able to fabricate some parts and also, source some of the original parts that were on the bike when it was built.  It turned out pretty good.  And oh BTW, after some minor surgery, this Triumph doesn't leak oil!  (and not because there isn't any in it!) lol

I don't care all that much for home-built custom bikes, but that one is the most beautiful bobber that I have ever seen. A real piece of art that look like it would be a good performer and even handle well. Nice job! :)
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #29 on: March 31, 2022, 02:39:58 pm
Gizzo, what a great looking bike.  Love the look and the stance.  Whose engine is that?  I bet it sounds great!  My son's bike (the one we built) is very loud, almost to loud.  Nice job on that bobber!

Thanks Captain  :). The donor bike's a Suzuki LS650 Savage. 650cc single, 4 speed from 1986. Yeah, it sounded awesome. I love singles. I don't have it anymore. It had to go to make room for a TRX850 cafe racer project...But I had a lot of fun on it.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E