Author Topic: Nice Rear Sets for the INT650?  (Read 5030 times)

Coffee_Brake

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: June 24, 2022, 06:12:54 am
Did you sit a GT before you got the Inty? It was night and day fot me.

Oldandintheway

• Lad
  • Scooter
  • Mid North Coast NSW 650 GT
Reply #16 on: June 24, 2022, 12:44:50 pm
Hey all!  New here, up in Vermont, New England, USA. Bought a INT650 Baker Express yesterday and rode it 50 miles home and can tell already i'm going to love it!  Have owned Ducati, Kawi's, and three Triumphs and was ready for something new (and yet oh so familiar :)

For the price point, the bike is fantastic, there is so much to like about it and i'm going to have fun riding, tinkering and upgrading stuff for years to come.  I'll leave much of it stock i think, but will probably do the pipes, the lights, the air filter, maybe a big bore kit, the usual stuff... First season though, mostly stock.

The only thing i wasn't really a huge fan from a riding perspective were the foot controls.  I actually like the pegs a lot, but the awkward curved bits of metal they hang off of not so much.  I tend to tuck my legs/feet in on big sweeping corners and found my boot sliding down them and generally getting hung up on the curved part.   Also the shift lever and rear break lever fell loose and cheap.  The shift lever is also tucked far into the right and it was a pain to "toe-in" and shift with my big proper moto-boots. Just not a fan of them and would like to replace with something more high quality and machined.

I do like the pegs and wouldn't mind re-using them, don't want to get too "boy racer" with tiny pegs on racing style rear sets.  Can anyone point me in the right direction on this one?  Thanks in advance!  Links to products are appreciated!

Check out these from Sato Racing
Currently out of stock, But might be worth the wait
www.satoracing.com/rearsets_royalenfield650.htm

It is because these were out of stock, that I got inspired to make my own.

cafegtgirl

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: June 24, 2022, 03:39:38 pm
Ok, so Sato Racing doesn't think us GT owners want rear sets? These are class act rearsets and Sato has been making them for a very long time. Compared to what some rear sets sell for, this price is right in line. These are super high quality. Would definitely consider if/when the GT version comes.
2021 GT 650
2016 Triumph Street Triple RX
2014 Continental GT
2004 Buell Firebolt XB12R
1998 Honda VFR 800
1998 Buell Thunderbolt S2
1997 Buell Lightning S1
1994 Honda VFR 750
1991 Honda CBR1000
1988 Honda CBR1000 Huricane
1985 Honda VT1100 Shadow
1985 Honda Helix
1983 Honda VF750F Interceptor #96

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: June 24, 2022, 04:43:09 pm
Ok, so Sato Racing doesn't think us GT owners want rear sets? These are class act rearsets and Sato has been making them for a very long time. Compared to what some rear sets sell for, this price is right in line. These are super high quality. Would definitely consider if/when the GT version comes.
Will they not fit either bike?, I think the chassis bolt holes are the same.
I am sure there is someone here with the facility to compare the two.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

anglojaxon

• Bulleteer
  • AngloJaxon
Reply #19 on: June 24, 2022, 06:21:18 pm
I'm not a fan of the stock position. It's just an insanely hobbled solution.

Someone tried to fix it but it's a $200 solution and $100 shipping from Thailand. Looks like it extends too far and engine guards would need to come off. The brake pedal is really close.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1113296528/royal-enfield-interceptor-touring?click_key=903469f885e98005e4459399348f147b95c9f7a5%3A1113296528&click_sum=e7a7e25b&ref=hp_rf-1
2019 Interceptor 650
2017 R1200 GS

Oldandintheway

• Lad
  • Scooter
Reply #20 on: June 25, 2022, 11:03:36 am
I totally agree. As far as you can tell, they look very professional. And having just built my own, I would've been more than happy to pay the price Sato charge for these great looking pieces.

To CJPS - they fit either bike, however you lose the direct lever action that GT offers. However, I think you could adapt and keep using the direct lever. (which in my opinion is a better option)
The Sato racing option will place your foot in closer to the frame (yay) and the OEM lever sticks out 45mm from the casing. You might look at my adaption on the "What did you do to your bike today"  posts. I used the Interceptor shifter spline adapter, and made a shifter that sat close to the casing. Happy riding all round.

JIMIBLAZE

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: June 25, 2022, 12:53:11 pm

There's a section underneath the INT one for the GT as well on Sato's site.. I'm sure it's just a matter of time... the INT sells more than the GT, so it makes sense they did the INT version first.

Oldandintheway

• Lad
  • Scooter
Reply #22 on: June 26, 2022, 08:26:31 am
Hey all!  New here, up in Vermont, New England, USA. Bought a INT650 Baker Express yesterday and rode it 50 miles home and can tell already i'm going to love it!  Have owned Ducati, Kawi's, and three Triumphs and was ready for something new (and yet oh so familiar :)

For the price point, the bike is fantastic, there is so much to like about it and i'm going to have fun riding, tinkering and upgrading stuff for years to come.  I'll leave much of it stock i think, but will probably do the pipes, the lights, the air filter, maybe a big bore kit, the usual stuff... First season though, mostly stock.

The only thing i wasn't really a huge fan from a riding perspective were the foot controls.  I actually like the pegs a lot, but the awkward curved bits of metal they hang off of not so much.  I tend to tuck my legs/feet in on big sweeping corners and found my boot sliding down them and generally getting hung up on the curved part.   Also the shift lever and rear break lever fell loose and cheap.  The shift lever is also tucked far into the right and it was a pain to "toe-in" and shift with my big proper moto-boots. Just not a fan of them and would like to replace with something more high quality and machined.

I do like the pegs and wouldn't mind re-using them, don't want to get too "boy racer" with tiny pegs on racing style rear sets.  Can anyone point me in the right direction on this one?  Thanks in advance!  Links to products are appreciated!

Just one edition to your quest for nice rearsets.
I see what you mean regarding the footpeg size on systems that are in  production. I am 6'4" and a bit. With size 13 boots.
 I used cognito moto pegs, which are about 28mm diameter and 120mm long. The options out there all look like thos boy racer types that are only 22mm diameter and 85mm long.
You could adapt a different peg, however the bolt through on my ones is 10mm and I think the products available look like 8mm.
What about adapting the rear OEM footpegs? Might be an option.
Cheers
Dave

DanW

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: August 16, 2022, 03:36:00 pm
Not trying to revive a dead thread, but apparently, Hitchcock has a legit rearset kit for the INT650 now. I'm not sure how long it's been on their site, I feel like I would have seen it sooner if it had been on there for a while.  Costs a few bucks less than the TEC Parts kit, and looks a bit more elegant IMO.

Here's the link: https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Footrests/44238

CPJS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: August 16, 2022, 05:46:46 pm
I wonder how they compare to OE GT rearsets? The stock ones sit at a funny angle, I have mine packed out with some washers. TEC sell some tapered washers for them as well.
Current bikes.
R E GT650
BMW R1200GS
KTM 250 EXC-F
BSA B25SS

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

JP33090

• Grease Monkey
Reply #25 on: August 16, 2022, 10:25:33 pm
I wonder how they compare to OE GT rearsets? The stock ones sit at a funny angle, I have mine packed out with some washers. TEC sell some tapered washers for them as well.

I could be wrong, but those appear to be the OEM rear sets. They have been listed on Hitchcock’s for quotes some time.

Wangster

• Scooter
  • I have too many hobbies
Reply #26 on: August 16, 2022, 11:33:40 pm
I could be wrong, but those appear to be the OEM rear sets. They have been listed on Hitchcock’s for quotes some time.

The description says it moves the Interceptor position to that of the GT. That doesn't solve the problem of how far out the pegs stick out. I like the Sato racing ones since it brings the pegs in closer. Wish they were a bit cheaper though.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: August 18, 2022, 09:08:53 am
The problem it's there's a direct competitor from TEC that costs 1/4 of that.

You can argue differences in design and fit and finish, but 4x the price?

Crazy.

Yea and you get 1/8 the quality and elegance. Sato make nice stuff. I wouldn't devalue my bike with that other rubbish posted. Then again I'm from an engineering background and value quality of execution, design and "elegance". If I don't feel like making myself an Espresso and sitting down and looking at the beauty and engineering excellence of something I've just bought and added to any of my bikes then it doesn't get bought. 

Phil
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

dav

• Grease Monkey
Reply #28 on: August 19, 2022, 08:53:32 am
Yea and you get 1/8 the quality and elegance. Sato make nice stuff. I wouldn't devalue my bike with that other rubbish posted. Then again I'm from an engineering background and value quality of execution, design and "elegance". If I don't feel like making myself an Espresso and sitting down and looking at the beauty and engineering excellence of something I've just bought and added to any of my bikes then it doesn't get bought. 

Phil

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder with those things thats for sure.

Wangster

• Scooter
  • I have too many hobbies
Reply #29 on: August 20, 2022, 12:31:00 am