Author Topic: ok, the tires have to go. So what now?  (Read 4997 times)

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
on: August 06, 2020, 10:41:25 pm
These tires are , uh, fine.  I mean they hold air for at least half a day, they ride pretty well in a straight line and on tight corners they don't slip out from under me.  In wet conditions they don't hydroplane. Yet.

Still, yesterday while on an especially curvy and high road with what the US calls "road repairs" which amounts to someone with a caulk gun pumping goo in all the cracks that heats up and moves underneath you like an oily spiderweb on the road (american exceptionalism)  my confidence was again stunted.  My last bike was a cornering beast.  It was a totally different kind of ride altogether but it stuck to the road like glue.  I feel any bike should be able to feel stuck to the road.

I'm shopping for tires and I don't want to repurchase the same nonsense.  I realize the Interceptor will never be the bike that nearly killed me hundreds of times, which is why I bought it but I do want a better tire that will give me more confidence on my ride.

What are people moving to when it's time?

raygun58

• Scooter

Starpeve

• Starpeve
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Adelaide, South Aust- Conti GT 650 2019
Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 04:43:25 am
These tires are , uh, fine.  I mean they hold air for at least half a day, they ride pretty well in a straight line and on tight corners they don't slip out from under me.  In wet conditions they don't hydroplane. Yet.

Still, yesterday while on an especially curvy and high road with what the US calls "road repairs" which amounts to someone with a caulk gun pumping goo in all the cracks that heats up and moves underneath you like an oily spiderweb on the road (american exceptionalism)  my confidence was again stunted.  My last bike was a cornering beast.  It was a totally different kind of ride altogether but it stuck to the road like glue.  I feel any bike should be able to feel stuck to the road.

I'm shopping for tires and I don't want to repurchase the same nonsense.  I realize the Interceptor will never be the bike that nearly killed me hundreds of times, which is why I bought it but I do want a better tire that will give me more confidence on my ride.

What are people moving to when it's time?
I think I’ll be going for the Continental RoadAttack 3’s.
Would have liked to go a little bigger but that option’s been deleted.
I’d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

Hoiho

• Dead horse beater
  • Grand Gearhead
  • NZ - 2020 GT 650

jimku

• Grand Gearhead
  • Nampa, Idaho USA
2019 Interceptor. 
I hope my tubeless wheels make you cringe. 8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/zobmpjq2gqtvypj/RE%20TIRE%20AND%20WHEEL.JPG?dl=0
Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
https://youtu.be/GG5ghP8XLW8

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 07:43:11 am
I think I'll try the Continental Classic Attack next time I buy tyres. There's nothing wrong with the Battlax though.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

MikeAlpha

• Grease Monkey
  • Germany, 2020 Interceptor 650, 2022 Guzzi V7 Sp.
Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 10:17:07 am
German motorbike magazine MOTORRAD, who have the Interceptor in a 50000KM long time test, reported very positive about the Bridgestone BT45. I think I'll try the successor, the BT46 soon.
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Baker Express - 2020
Moto Guzzi V7 Special - 2022

Black Forest, Germany

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 01:52:10 pm
I've had Bridgestone BT45 on several bikes (OEM tires)...the fronts always got "cupping"....

Cookie

German motorbike magazine MOTORRAD, who have the Interceptor in a 50000KM long time test, reported very positive about the Bridgestone BT45. I think I'll try the successor, the BT46 soon.

SandSquid

• Seattle, Washington
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2020 INT650 "Orange Crush"
Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 08:10:41 pm
Anyone have experience with the Metzeler Lasertec?

https://www.metzeler.com/en-us/products/tires/lasertec
“It follows then as certain as that night succeeds the day, that without a decisive naval force we can do nothing definitive, and with it, everything honorable and glorious.”

- President George Washington

Bagonne

• Hudson Valley, NY
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 08:57:22 pm
I've had Bridgestone BT45 on several bikes (OEM tires)...the fronts always got "cupping"....

Cookie

that's not encouraging.  Too bad as they seem a perfect fit otherwise

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 09:58:58 pm

I do and I like them a lot. I used them on a BMW airhead some years ago and my daughter uses them on her BMW R65LS.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #11 on: August 07, 2020, 10:16:49 pm

I have them on my Ducati Pantah. They look old school but are very grippy. Only downside is the rear has worn out incredibly quickly. Less than 5000km and it's done. I'll get another because it matches the front and it's an occasional use bike but I wouldn't on my daily.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

twocoolgliders

• Cookie
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 10:45:36 pm
Many people really like them....and don't mention cupping

Cookie

that's not encouraging.  Too bad as they seem a perfect fit otherwise

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #13 on: August 07, 2020, 10:54:15 pm
On the other tire thread I said I was likely to go for the Avon RoadRider. I'm still likely. I've been shopping in the Avon isle for some years now. They have earned my trust.
I am now also considering the Avon TrailRider. They are a 90/10 tire and for 4-6 months of the year the roads I ride on are 90/10. The TrailRiders may get some fringe fashion snarks but I'm on my 3rd set on my DL1000 and I no longer pucker up when I have to cross a sand patch in a turn or gravel or running water, etc. They just never give me that  awful feeling that my anus is about to pass my shoulders. I get about 6500 miles from a rear and usually change both at the same time.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

George 350

• Lifetime with bikes
  • Scooter
Reply #14 on: August 07, 2020, 11:00:04 pm
Bridgestone BT45'S: I love them on my Morini,  but that is a 160kg lightweight when compared to the Oilfield. Never any 'cupping' and there are no chicken strips on the tyres (has a pair of road chamfered footrests to go with that as well).
I run Metzeler Roadtec 01's on my Norton 650 and they are very good. Prior to those I ran Lasertecs on it and the Roadtecs are, to me, superior.
Amazingly, I am warming to the Pirelli's on the Enfield after not liking the poor feedback when new. They seem to have improved with mileage and are good enough for me to want to spend money on better suspension first.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 11:03:33 pm by George 350 »
2019 RE Continental GT 650
1978 Morini 350 Sport
1967 Norton 650