Author Topic: Semi-Decent Starter 105-Piece Tool Kit with 4-Drawer Chest for $36.99  (Read 21163 times)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Sure, I've got fancy-schmancy tools: Snap-On, Craftsman, the gang's all there. Bags of the stuff--almost too much, really. Hell, I've got old "Whitworth" wrenches and sockets and even a special half-thickness Brittool ¼ Whitworth combination "spanner" whose sole purpose is sneaking through the cooling fins to budge that one impossibly-recessed headbolt in a Norton 750.  So, what's the go-to kit I grab by default nowadays when time matters, and I don't feel like sorting through the inventory?  It's this ultra-bargain one by Harbor Freight. I've actually got a couple:

Right now, and until the 28th of January, you can pick one up at Harbor Freight or online for just $36.99 with coupon code 89282395.

Sure, its tools are not the epitome of the toolmaker's craft, but then again they are way better than you might frankly have any right to expect for the price, at less than 35¢ a tool. You could maybe get a single Snap-On or Craftsman ratchet extension bar for the cost of this whole kit...a very small one. They're "handy" little kits is all I'm sayin', and the price doesn't get much better than it is right now. If you want everything you'll need 99% of the time to keep an Enfield happy and healthy in a handy drawer box, go grab one.

And just as a sweetener, here are a couple more 20% off coupons in case you get anything else, as well as a bunch of freebies. I adore those freebie Portable Worklight/Flashlights with their magnetic base AND flip out hook to hang them...and you might too some dark night, but you can never have enough Magnetic Parts Holders:

Just view or save the above image to phone or computer to view at highest resolution or to use later in a Harbor Freight store.

Standard Disclaimer: Nope, I don't work there, nor do I stand to make a penny whatever you do.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 02:23:36 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
   I've been a regular visitor to HF for longer than I wish to divulge.  ;)
   I've seen them make the transition from "mostly crap" to "quite acceptable", and in fact still use some of the tools I first ordered when I began my career as an A&P. Back then my philosophy was "Buy the least expensive tool first, and if it breaks under normal use move up to the chain to a more expensive one. Repeat if necessary until they stop breaking.", and has served me well. I've even made the switch from more some of the more expensive brands to a HF tool and had better service.   
   So, like you "the gang's all here"  :) and I agree with your review of the kit.
   Great recommendation for a starter set, even at the HF regular price. And HF has a lifetime guarantee on most of their tools, too!

'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
If you have a little more money, give Carlyle Tools a try. From NAPA Auto Parts.
I’ve been very pleased with the feel and finish. They are Simi Snap-On clones for much less, also look for sales.
I started to purchase Carlyle Tools when Crapsman Tools became “ Made in China “ for Made in USA “ prices .
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Which brings us to a question: What's in YOUR toolbox, on the bike, that is. Handy as it is, you wouldn't want to haul around this Harbor Freight set. Mine was lucky enough to come with its little original toolset, lacking only the spark plug wrench tool, since replaced with a thrift store find. To this I've added a tiny bottle of Harbor Freight medium-strength threadlocker (their Loctite knockoff), a little brass-bristled brush for dressing the sparkplug and an extra sparkplug. I'll likely toss in some appropriate Allen keys. What do YOU find essential on the road, apart from a AAA Plus membership upgraded to "RV service" (which is oddly what one needs for that 100 mile towing service on the rather bizarre theory that schlepping my 400 lb. bike is somehow comparable to towing a 25,000 lb. house on wheels)?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:56:39 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Here is a thread about tool kits. Might give you an idea or two:

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,3409.msg120200.html#msg120200

My kit for long trips:
   Spare fuses, Clutch, and Throttle cables, Front and Rear tubes, Tube Patch kit, 4-in-1 screwdriver, Motion Pro Tire Spoons, 6-19mm combo wrenchs in a roll, Ford Wrench (for the bigger nuts), a few male and female Bullet Connectors, a few male and female Spade Terminals, small Needle Nose pliers, small "alternate lifestyle" cutter (Diagonal Plier), a few Red Rags, a small spool of Safety Wire, and a cheap VOM.
   These are stuffed into my Saddle bags to "compliment" the factory kit that came with the bike.
   Overkill? At 12,954 miles I have yet to use any of them.   ;D
'12 C5 Classic

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Here is a thread about tool kits. Might give you an idea or two:

https://forum.classicmotorworks.com/index.php/topic,3409.msg120200.html#msg120200

My kit for long trips:
   Spare fuses, Clutch, and Throttle cables, Front and Rear tubes, Tube Patch kit, 4-in-1 screwdriver, Motion Pro Tire Spoons, 6-19mm combo wrenchs in a roll, Ford Wrench (for the bigger nuts), a few male and female Bullet Connectors, a few male and female Spade Terminals, small Needle Nose pliers, small "alternate lifestyle" cutter (Diagonal Plier), a few Red Rags, a small spool of Safety Wire, and a cheap VOM.
   These are stuffed into my Saddle bags to "compliment" the factory kit that came with the bike.
   Overkill? At 12,954 miles I have yet to use any of them.   ;D

Well, I can well imagine that the very minute you don't have all that crap in your saddlebags is the same day you'll be needing it. From what I can already discern, unlike some of your more modern utilitarian rides with the souls of disposable lighters, these quirky Enfields appear to possess some sort of complex individualized soul, or what those other Indians closer to home once called "Manitou". Accordingly, one's Enfield will sense and fulfill its own agenda and capabilities. It knows those tire irons are in there, hence you will most likely never have a flat, unless it's in a taunting mood and maybe cheesed off about something else (e.g., "Ughhh..What is this he's pouring into me now? Dollar General multi-grade? Cheap Bastard! I'll show him. Can't he hear my tappets are already aching from that thinned-out Pennzoil spew? OK, have fun dipshit:...Pffffffttttt!").

In about 40 years of nursing this or that ratty old motorcycle around, usually as my sole means of transport, I have only ever had one flat, and I just pulled the wheel off and brought it to a shop for patching. At this point, just shy of a month into early retirement, flats are what AAA is for. Most likely I'll just treat those tubes to a shot of Slime, and see how that goes.

Those fuses and cables are a good idea though. I've lost a clutch cable or three in my time. I've also tucked a couple of bulbs for the indicators and brake lamp into the pouch that I discovered rattling in the pannier. A medium-sized crescent wrench would probably also be a grand idea, as well as one of these multi-tool doodads from Wallyworld that you can get for less than four bucks. I've got a bunch of them, including one in my riding jacket, and I'll often pick up more while at Wallyworld, since I usually end up giving them to boating buddies. Here's affordable elegance and versatility.  Those spring-loaded needlenose pliers are especially useful I've found, while a knife, various screwdrivers and little saws are always a good thing to have handy.  I imagine the little file might be just the ticket for dressing up some badly pocked points, while remembering that old school hooked Army-style can opener might be a super-happy thought on a camping trip some hungry evening whilst staring woefully at that can of beans:

Seriously, for less than a pack of Marlboros why wouldn't you toss one of these into your toolkit?

Anyhow, thanks for that link to the other thread too. I've still got a bit of room in my toolcase. In the meantime, it's a fine afternoon getting up into the low 60s, so I'm off to find a country road!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:00:43 pm by Bilgemaster »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
I'm done with Craftsman tools.  Between busting my knuckles open from sockets, wrenches and ratchets failing, to every "customer service" department and store giving me the runaround trying to get a month old 1/2" impact wrench that I paid extra for the extended warranty.  Sears will never get my money again.  Absolute horrible customer service.  Ended up having to throw that impact wrench in the garbage, even tho I had warranty and receipts.

My current brands of choice are Pittsburg and Gearwrench.  Both have lifetime warranties on all their hand tools and are much easier to warranty out than waiting on the Snap On guy.  I still have a few odd and end Snap On tools, but honestly, I sold a lot of them and replaced them with the Pittsburg equivalent.  I have a set of Pittsburg 3/8" deep metric sockets that are 7 years old, been beating the crap out of them all with my cordless DeWalt for the last 4, and never broke a one.  ;)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
I'm done with Craftsman tools.  Between busting my knuckles open from sockets, wrenches and ratchets failing, to every "customer service" department and store giving me the runaround trying to get a month old 1/2" impact wrench that I paid extra for the extended warranty.  Sears will never get my money again.  Absolute horrible customer service.  Ended up having to throw that impact wrench in the garbage, even tho I had warranty and receipts.

My current brands of choice are Pittsburg and Gearwrench.  Both have lifetime warranties on all their hand tools and are much easier to warranty out than waiting on the Snap On guy.  I still have a few odd and end Snap On tools, but honestly, I sold a lot of them and replaced them with the Pittsburg equivalent.  I have a set oPittsburg 3/8" deep metric sockets that are 7 years old, been beating the crap out of them all with my cordless DeWalt for the last 4, and never brokeone.  ;)

Well said, Sir. Though I must confess that I adore and could never willingly part with my Xnap-On "Micro-Mini Stubby Thingee", like the one shown here:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:09:23 pm by Bilgemaster »

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Tools that are subjected to high stress, and tooling that needs to hold a sharp edge are worth paying extra for.  There are some unbelievably bad HSS drill bits out there that demonstrate both of these issues.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 04:13:41 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

hpwaco

• Grand Gearhead
Its been mentioned before in other places - a means of reinflating a repaired tire is needed.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Its been mentioned before in other places - a means of reinflating a repaired tire is needed.

Like I said, for me I'll just wait for the AAA guy to get there. Sure, I've got a couple-few 12V pumps, a foot pump, even a couple of little battery-operated guys for inflating dinghies or air mattresses on the boats, but I doubt any of them will be taking up precious space in my panniers. My old Norton N15CS "Desert Sled" still has the little doodads braised onto one of the frame tubes to hold a little bicycle style hand pump, but I doubt there's been one there since the Beatles broke up. Still, that might be a workable, if rather tedious, option for those who really want something on hand. I imagine a nice Zéfal or similar quality bicycle handpump from eBay with mounting clips might fit inobtrusively along an Enfield's frame member somewhere. For example, even one of these little 9" fellows for less than ten bucks held with a couple of hose clamps might do the trick in a pinch yet otherwise stay put and well out of the way. Just make sure you are getting one for a Schrader style valve instead of a Presta type, or when the time comes you may as well have been driving around with an Oscar Meyer Wiener strapped to your ride...And nobody wants to be an Oscar Meyer Wiener guy.

As for those looking for some sort of portable 12V pump, there is a seemingly interminable discussion of the matter over at the Adventure Rider Forum begun a decade ago at http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/reviewed-12v-mini-air-pumps-inflators-compressors-need-input.286669/. Rather encouragingly, I must say, that forum's main banner photo appears to show some adventurous rugged manly man on an Enfield atop some craggy peak gazing magnificently into the wild and windblown vista, so I guess they can't be all bad.  In fact, I expect I might swing by there again just to see what they have to say about tents and mini-stoves.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:41:37 pm by Bilgemaster »

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Somebody shoot me. It’s Feb 1 and I just saw this thread. They will probably do it again soon enough.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Somebody shoot me. It’s Feb 1 and I just saw this thread. They will probably do it again soon enough.

Fret not Guaire! You can just use one of those 20% Off coupons I scanned and still only pay $37.43, just 44¢ more (like about half a spilled Pabst Blue Ribbon in real terms), and get yourself one of those freebies in the bargain.  Those coupons are good until mid-March (top) and mid-February (bottom) of 2018. You can also sign up to receive such coupons in future via mail, email and/or text right here.  Their regular non-signup coupon specials for all comers are currently found here. In fact, I might swing by today for one of those rinkydink Digital Inspection Cameras I've been "eyeing" for a while.

Likely to get up into the low 50s here this afternoon, so I guess I'm off to find another windy country road!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 04:34:09 pm by Bilgemaster »

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Thanks. I’m feeling better now. I have just about all my tools in the garage. I could keep that big kit in their house and be a lot more useful.
  I got a cheap camera from Summit Auto. It’s probably the same unit. It’s not great, but it’s a whole lot better than nothing. There bore scopes that plug into your smartphone from Tech Garage. About $200. It’s an HD image. Great camera.

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Thanks for mentioning that, Guaire!
   For those interested, the wireless version is on sale for the next several hours.

1 for $57.94 U.S. (includes shipping).
   2 for $87.89 U.S. (includes shipping).

https://thetechgarage.info/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9IL9lMeH2QIVVLXACh0qlQd2EAAYASAAEgI3dPD_BwE

(I have one of the older HF hand held models and have been very satisfied with it. Saves to micro disk and has connections for video cables, too. Works a charm, but is kinda bulky.)
   I'd love to have one for work, but the 8mm camera head is too big. Need a 7mm for it to be usable.
   [edit] I just ordered up one for me and a couple as Holiday gifts for a couple of great technicians.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 05:21:17 pm by heloego »
'12 C5 Classic

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Just a quick "heads up": This weekend only (2/2/18 through 2/4/18) the Harbor Freight website homepage at https://www.harborfreight.com/ is displaying a 20% Off coupon along with a range of other freebies with any order.  If your tool collection doesn't include a handy multimeter to measure stuff like battery charge state (at least about 12.8 volts is "doing just fine"), run down random electrical gremlins, and so forth, one that'll actually tuck nicely into that side toolbox, well now's your chance to snag one for bupkis. I rewired the electrics of two sailboats and installed a solar array using one of these things, so yeah, they work perfectly fine. If you're all set with multimeters, then surely one can never have enough little Magnetic Parts Trays, right?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 03:15:04 pm by Bilgemaster »

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
I got the 105 piece kit to keep in the house. I got the 5" vise. My 3 1/2 didn't fit the soft jaws. Now the soft jaws fit.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead

Like I said, for me I'll just wait for the AAA guy to get there. Sure, I've got a couple-few 12V pumps, a foot pump, even a couple of little battery-operated guys for inflating dinghies or air mattresses on the boats, but I doubt any of them will be taking up precious space in my panniers. My old Norton N15CS "Desert Sled" still has the little doodads braised onto one of the frame tubes to hold a little bicycle style hand pump, but I doubt there's been one there since the Beatles broke up. Still, that might be a workable, if rather tedious, option for those who really want something on hand. I imagine a nice Zéfal or similar quality bicycle handpump from eBay with mounting clips might fit inobtrusively along an Enfield's frame member somewhere. For example, even one of these little 9" fellows for less than ten bucks held with a couple of hose clamps might do the trick in a pinch yet otherwise stay put and well out of the way. Just make sure you are getting one for a Schrader style valve instead of a Presta type, or when the time comes you may as well have been driving around with an Oscar Meyer Wiener strapped to your ride...And nobody wants to be an Oscar Meyer Wiener guy.

[snip!...]

Well, it turns out I went ahead and ordered one of those little little 9" pumps for less than ten bucks that I had mentioned. I mean, having so thoroughly dismissed "hpwaco's" perfectly sensible idea of having some sort of pump on hand, I then realized whatta Dorcus I would feel like way out there with none at all and no bars on the phone if I happened to need one.  It turns out that the pump I just happened to link to on eBay is absolutely ideal for my 2005 Military, or perhaps most any other motorcycle, though it would probably not be one's first choice for a very light touring bicycle, where ounces really matter, owing to its rugged but rather heavy steel construction compared to aluminum or other lighter options. Although it came with a pair of some handy plastic screwed-ziptie-style mounts, I opted instead for some good sturdy hose clamps with cut-to-size rubber strips laid in.  Here it is mounted under the pillion (passenger) saddle. It ain't going nowhere unless I want it to:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 03:46:38 am by Bilgemaster »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Looks like a good thing to have when your out in the boonies.

I am surprised you didn't paint it a nice flat black or olive drab though.

Somehow, chrome glittering in the sunlight doesn't quite fit on a military motorcycle. ???
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Looks like a good thing to have when your out in the boonies.

I am surprised you didn't paint it a nice flat black or olive drab though.

Somehow, chrome glittering in the sunlight doesn't quite fit on a military motorcycle. ???

Well, there's already way too much chrome on her right from the factory for me to make any pretentions of McQueening it. In fact, although it's still hanging on there pretty well, if the green stuff on the engine casings starts flaking off and looking rough, as it is apparently wont to do, I may commence going back to that lovely alloy in stages. It ain't easy bein' green.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:38:47 pm by Bilgemaster »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
 "It ain't easy bein' green."

That's what Kermit said but to end it on a cheery note he also said,

"Times fun when your having fly's."   ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams

My current brands of choice are Pittsburg and Gearwrench.  Both have lifetime warranties on all their hand tools and are much easier to warranty out than waiting on the Snap On guy.  I still have a few odd and end Snap On tools, but honestly, I sold a lot of them and replaced them with the Pittsburg equivalent.  I have a set of Pittsburg 3/8" deep metric sockets that are 7 years old, been beating the crap out of them all with my cordless DeWalt for the last 4, and never broke a one.  ;)

Anybody remember Hazet tools  ??? :) I still have and use a few surviving open end/box Hazet wrenches I bought when I worked in a VW dealership in 1963/'64 (Speedcraft in Wakefield RI). They were excellent tools.

"The Hazet Guy" showed up on skedjull in those days just like "The Proto Guy" did.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 06:05:32 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Sure. I know Hazet. German-made and crazy-expensive. They make the SnapOn truck guy seem like Meals On Wheels. They're still a going concern in case tossing dollar bills on the grill just isn't quick enough for you. Somehow I got my hands on a big old pair of Hazet plier/tin shearers while living in Germany that I still have somewhere.  They may arguably be the pinnacle of the Toolmakers' Craft, but I'm pretty sure I'm never going to lay down more than half what I paid for my Royal Enfield for a little 33-piece 1/4" Drive Socket Set. But maybe that's just me. I imagine oil-rich Sheik Yerbouti might have at least two sets of everything Hazet's ever churned out--one for his different-for-each-day-of-the-week collection of Lamborghinis held in his Astrodome-sized garage complex and another just to look at in his harem and keep those tents from flapping, but he hasn't been by the back yard lately.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:42:11 pm by Bilgemaster »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Sure. I know Hazet. German-made and crazy-expensive. They make the SnapOn truck guy seem like Meals On Wheels. They're still a going concern in case tossing dollar bills on the grill just isn't quick enough for you. Somehow I got my hands on a big old pair of Hazet plier/tin shearers while living in Germany that I still have somewhere.  They may arguably be the pinnacle of the Toolmakers' Craft, but I'm pretty sure I'm never going to lay down more than half what I paid for my Royal Enfield for a little 33-piece 1/4" Drive Socket Set. But maybe that's just me. I imagine oil-rich Sheik Yerbouti might have at least two sets of everything Hazet's ever churned out--one for his different-for-each-day-of-the-week collection of Lamborghinis held in his Astrodome-sized garage complex and another just to look at in his harem and keep those tents from flapping, but he hasn't been by the back yard lately.

Well, jeez, man. Thanks for making me sound like a frat-boy, rich-guy asshole. Believe me, I'm not.

And my 14mm open/box wasn't really too expensive. Whatever it cost is divided by 54 years. I still have my '60's Brown & Sharpe micrometers, too. Worked there on precision grinders for two years making parts for the machines that made the parts to make B&S precision tools.

But I get what you mean. I got Griot's Garage catalog for some reason for a few years. I never knew what I bought that triggered it. Maybe it was because I bought a lotta car parts in 80 years. Quien sabe'? I could NOT get them to stop no matter how nasty I got with them  :) :) :) It was not my kind of car catalog and I cringed at it just being in my mail box  >:( >:( ;D ;D

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
I’ve never heard of Hazet tools. Forget about Snap-On ,only the best for my baby Bullet.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Hazet says its torque wrench accuracy is +/- 2%

Snap On says its torque wrench accuracy is +/- 4%

Harbor Freight says its torque wrench accuracy is +/- 4%

I wonder if a gain of +/- 2% is worth the additional $190 for the Hazet wrench?  :o

Not to me.  8)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
             Well, jeez, man. Thanks for making me sound like a frat-boy, rich-guy asshole. Believe me, I'm not.                   

Rest assured, I intended no such thing. Still, I feel I owe you a beerski or three if you're ever down this way in Virginia, not too far from DC.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Rest assured, I intended no such thing. Still, I feel I owe you a beerski or three if you're ever down this way in Virginia, not too far from DC.

I just object to being compared to the Pebble Beach Bunch just because I bought some Hazet tools (that most people never heard of), that are quite expensive NOW, back in the '60s when they were no more expensive than any of the other good tools that you could buy then. I (like you, I imagine) still have tools I (and my mom) started buying when my mother was driving a '36 Chevy coupe back in 1948 (I was 10) and I worked on her and my cars from then on and have probably given more tools away since then than most people own in their life. And I still have too many now since I don't do cars any longer and gave my last harley (and tools and parts) to my best old best friend who watched me (and helped a little) build it over a two year period.   
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 06:22:28 pm by tooseevee »

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
I snuck by the Harbor Freight just to see what they were still flogging on the last best day of their sidewalk sale and found a useful item I'd not seen before (which is pretty rare, since I probably know their stock at least as well as some of the clerks). At $13.99 (or just about 11 bucks with a 20% Off coupon), it might also be a buy for you other Bulleteers:

It's what they call a "1/4 in. x 3/8 in. Dual Drive Extendable Ratchet".  It extends and locks with a satisfying click at four lengths from 9-1/2 in. to 13-1/2 in., which makes it like a collapsible breaker bar--just the thing for giving an easy heave-ho to those beefy 24mm and 30mm rear wheel castle and stub axle nuts. It might squeeze into my 2005 Military's side toolbox--diagonally and with copious slatherings of Vaseline--but I kinda doubt it.  Still, I expect it may find a spot along with a few select sockets and an extension or two in one of my panniers on any really long trips as my regular ratchet that can also handily attend to chain tensioning or wheel removal. As you'd expect, it's pretty hefty at just shy of a pound (that's about half a kilo or 1/24th of a sihr or seer for any elderly Chennai or rather "Madras" residents tuning in), but it'll stow a hell of a lot handier than a full-on breaker bar, still get that wheel job done, and with useful dual-size 1/4" and 3/8" drive ratchets to boot. It seems to be made well enough, though I'd have preferred a metal instead of a plastic drive direction switch (helpfully, if rather oddly, labeled "On" and "Off" for clockwise and counter-clockwise). Still, I don't plan on using it as a hammer...though I might just keep it handy near my sleeping bag in dicey campsites to bash the brains right out of any intruders, furry or otherwise. Besides, it does have a lifetime warranty. So, interlopers beware!

Anyhow, just thought I'd toss this big Honduro out there for your consideration...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:01:05 pm by Bilgemaster »

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
I have had one of those wrenches in my tool box for about the past 10 years.  I can't recall where I bought it or how much it cost, but knowing me, probably not much.  ;)  I have found it handy at times, but I do worry about trying to put too much torque on the wrench in its extended position. 
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
I have had one of those wrenches in my tool box for about the past 10 years.  I can't recall where I bought it or how much it cost, but knowing me, probably not much.  ;)  I have found it handy at times, but I do worry about trying to put too much torque on the wrench in its extended position.

For sure, they're a little "hefty" on dishing out the foot-pounds even un-extended, so a light "pinky torque" touch is probably advised with most nuts and bolts. Still, fully engorged it does offer that OOMPH really needed for those really tight wheel nuts (maybe 500 lbs. per inch?).  Anyhow, I'm likely to toss it into one of my panniers on any longish tours. Hell, for what it cost and with a lifetime guarantee, I can always just use it to hammer in tent stakes.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
I'm just resurrecting this elderly thread to let folks know that the Harbor Freight  105 Piece Tool Kit with 4 Drawer Chest  currently has a coupon in their recent mailer for just $32.99, which is about the cheapest I've ever seen it. The coupon is valid until November 30, 2019.

Oddly enough, the coupon's not to be found in the otherwise normally comprehensive Harbor Freight Coupon Database. So, I've taken the liberty of attaching a photo of it to this posting. Alternatively, its coupon code is 10679207, which a cashier could also key in at the register.

If you want to read my original writeup about this kit, just click here. Suffice it to say that it's super handy, will have most everything you'll need to keep your bike well fettled in a nice neat box, and the tool quality really ain't half bad, in marked contrast to their normally slightly cheaper 130 Piece Kit, which must be made at some different factory out of recycled soup cans and machined by the visually impaired...Really dreadful stuff.

Hey, if nothing else, get some Christmas shopping done early!

UPDATE TO THE UPDATE.....

The Den of Tools YouTube channel just posted a "Deal Alert! 224 Piece Craftsman Tool Set for $100" concerning this box kit from Ace Hardware:

Sure, it's not the "all-rounder" everything-you-need kit that the Harbor Freight one is, with pliers, screwdrivers, adjustables, electrical tools and a host of other needful doodads. It's just a big whompin' set of wrenches, ratchets and sockets. And sure, the "Craftsman" name maybe ain't what it used to be, but they still ain't half bad and still have a lifetime guarantee. So, yeah, damn straight I grabbed one for store pickup, just like the bear told me to do, for just $99 after my 20 bucks off, threw in a few bucks for the Governor's cigars, and got mine for a total of $105.99.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 01:38:48 pm by Bilgemaster »

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: November 11, 2019, 01:43:09 pm
I can't tell if editing/updating an earlier posting kicks it into folks' "Recent Unread Topics", but I doubt it.

Please scroll up to see my previous posting in this thread for info on that current Craftsman tool kit deal.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 01:45:15 pm by Bilgemaster »

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Just thought I should resurrect this elderly thread to pass along another "Tip from the Bear" and let folks know that Ace is currently offering yet another decent little Craftsman promotion that might interest folks. If you're an "Ace Member", which is free to sign up, you can pick up one of these little ⅜" or ¼" drive SAE or Metric ratchet and socket sets for just $9.99: Click here. (also shows "big kit" currently on sale)

Who among you couldn't use a nice fairly decent little extra socket set for the kind of money that would normally have you wading into the very shallowest yellowest end of the pool of Harbor Freight's offerings?

« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 11:34:13 am by Bilgemaster »

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead

That's a great price! 45 + years of accumulating tools has me about tooled up to the max. Sales like that might turn me into my father, after he maxed out he still couldn't resist a sale like that and would then turn around and give it away.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Thanks Bilgemaster! I just ordered the tool kit as a Christmas present for my brother and will pick it up at my local Ace Hardware store later today.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
That's a great price! 45 + years of accumulating tools has me about tooled up to the max. Sales like that might turn me into my father, after he maxed out he still couldn't resist a sale like that and would then turn around and give it away.

That's about where I'm at now: I needed four new ratchets like I  needed four new gills on my buttocks. But yeah, I got 'em anyhow.

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Well tools for me are a bit like a drug addiction  l have a very large stainless chest with just about every thing in there, l have always bought expensive tools many going back decades and decades for every bike,  but over the last few years l have bought some cheap spanners and large ring types, l must say devil needs where the devil must but l have been pleasantly surprised by the quality and certainly recommend them for the home mechanic and saving cash not bad at all when l look closely at them, they can be had for a snip and probably last the rest of my life.

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
  • East Central Indiana, USA
I remember buying a cheap set of box/open end wrenches from an outfit named Homier Tools maybe 30-35 years ago. They would come to town, set up tents and set out all kinds of cheap tools for 3 or 4 days then pack up and leave. The wrenches, made in India, came in a roll up pouch and included 15 or 16 pieces. Most horrible set of tools I ever purchased. Off center broaching on the box end and sloppy fit on fasteners, rough forging and rusting issues. Gave them away in disgust. Circa last few years, HF sells some 7-piece wrench sets for dirt cheap on sale. Both SAE and metric. Made in India and are excellent! Durable and nicely finished. Thank goodness India is now producing quality products at excellent prices offering outstanding value.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
I remember buying a cheap set of box/open end wrenches from an outfit named Homier Tools maybe 30-35 years ago. They would come to town, set up tents and set out all kinds of cheap tools for 3 or 4 days then pack up and leave. The wrenches, made in India, came in a roll up pouch and included 15 or 16 pieces. Most horrible set of tools I ever purchased. Off center broaching on the box end and sloppy fit on fasteners, rough forging and rusting issues. Gave them away in disgust. Circa last few years, HF sells some 7-piece wrench sets for dirt cheap on sale. Both SAE and metric. Made in India and are excellent! Durable and nicely finished. Thank goodness India is now producing quality products at excellent prices offering outstanding value.

I paid a whole dollar for the big roll of Indian combination wrenches shown when I was down in Austin, Texas back in the early '90s. I fished 'em out of a huge "Your Choice $1" bin at the vast local HEB supermarket, where you could also register your car or get glasses. I imagine that bin must have been what happened to your tent tools when that circus had to strike those tents and leave town...fast and likely in the dead of night after someone's teenage daughter came home a little too late and disheveled.

But I've had no complaints with those wrenches. Sure, they're a little sloppy, and the casting quality looks like they may have been formed between stale bread slices, but their chrome ain't bad, and none have broken...not that I haven't given them a good heave-ho with a pipe now and then--check out that 3/4" bowed like a cowboy's leg while fussing with the suspension of a '60 Plymouth Savoy. But it didn't break! When I had practically nothing toolwise, these were prized items.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 03:19:38 pm by Bilgemaster »

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
  • East Central Indiana, USA
I paid a whole dollar for the big roll of Indian combination wrenches shown when I was down in Austin, Texas back in the early '90s. I fished 'em out of a huge "Your Choice $1" bin at the vast local HEB supermarket, where you could also register your car or get glasses. I imagine that bin must have been what happened to your tent tools when that circus had to strike those tents and leave town...fast and likely in the dead of night after someone's teenage daughter came home a little too late and disheveled.

But I've had no complaints with those wrenches. Sure, they're a little sloppy, and the casting quality looks like they may have been formed between stale bread slices, but their chrome ain't bad, and none have broken...not that I haven't given them a good heave-ho with a pipe now and then--check out that 3/4" bowed like a cowboy's leg while fussing with the suspension of a '60 Plymouth Savoy. But it didn't break! When I had practically nothing toolwise, these were prized items.
I get a real kick out of your posts BM. Might I add to the Austin Powers meme, 'Hump your girlfriend while you're shooting to win her a stuffed alligator'. TRUE! '60 Plymouth, huge fins when the fin fad was so over. Keep'em comin' Bilgey!

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
I get a real kick out of your posts BM. Might I add to the Austin Powers meme, 'Hump your girlfriend while you're shooting to win her a stuffed alligator'. TRUE! '60 Plymouth, huge fins when the fin fad was so over. Keep'em comin' Bilgey!

Thanks! That '60 Plymouth Savoy was a real pearl. I got it way up in the Texas Hill Country from the family of a former car dealer who'd long since passed. I was told it had been a dealership demo, and it was LOADED with ALL the weird options of the day, my favorite being a little 45 record player. It was a little "woozy", but still worked...kind of. I particularly enjoyed its push-button automatic transmission, which was a characteristic feature of those Mopars of the period. I bought it thinking I would export it to Germany, where I'd been living for several years, and where old American boulevard cruisers with fins were a hot commodity. But I ran into an insurmountable bureaucratic hurdle: It seems no 1960 Plymouth Savoy had ever been registered anywhere in Germany. Accordingly, no preexisting certification of its roadworthiness existed, so that if I wanted to bring it in I'd have had to bring it up to then-current (1990?) German vehicle safety standards. I imagine I might have had an easier time getting it loaded into the bay of the Space Shuttle and launched into orbit. Oddly enough though, I guess its European destiny trumped all. After a long road trip around the Southwest, mostly scouting out ghost towns, I sold it in LA to a nice older Swedish couple who brought it back home. So, it made it to Europe anyhow. As for those enormous sharklike fins, I never quite got over being startled by them in the sideview mirror. Cue the theme for "Jaws". I'm sure I've got old paper photos of it somewhere, but it resembled this one though with a white top...

« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 05:08:02 pm by Bilgemaster »

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Well l think cheap tools are OK especially if you are on a tight budget let’s face it they get the job done, you can buy that less than one snap on, really expensive tools are OK, 1, if you can afford them, and 2, if you work as a pro in most instances a £20 set of open ended will do as well, l have Facom sets of spanners but always have found l grab the cheap ones mostly. There are some really decent sets of cheap six point out there real bargain buckets. I think the issue is some of the stuff l bought just lasted far to many decades. Don’t think you can’t start getting involved in mechanics because of the price of tools there are plenty of cheap or second hand tools out there not hard to find at all.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 10:24:00 am by Carl Fenn »

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: June 17, 2022, 07:25:38 pm
Here's a HART Multiple Drive 270-Piece Mechanics Tool Set  on Clearance now at Wallyworld for just $79: https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/713811084

I've got the very similar 215-Piece one, and it really ain't too shabby. Smooth 90 tooth ratchets in 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4" and very little "fluff" you'll never use in a really nice box. One plus is that its sockets are FAR more visibly labeled for size than most. Overwhelmingly 5-star reviews (4.8 Average) So, what's not to like? Grab one if you can find one. They may be in a separate "Clearance" aisle, though it also looks like you can order online with free delivery.

You can see my old review of that similar HART 215-Piece Set with a little hack or tip about
better securing its top lid here: https://www.google.com/search?q=hart+215+mechanic+tool+set#fpstate=riv&rivi=0&rivzd=REVIEW_15173321172049250534
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 03:44:44 pm by Bilgemaster »

Carl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Well not a bad set most of what you need to maintain bike if you are a newcomer.