Author Topic: kickstarter swings through without moving the cylinder  (Read 4465 times)

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
on: September 17, 2019, 03:16:00 am
greetings all

as I add to the list of things my bike will need, i'm assuming that it isn't normal for the kickstarter to swing without moving the cylinder.  on a scale of 1 - 10, where 1 is eyes closed/no problem and 10 is a skilled mechanic will consider a change of careers, how would you rate the complexity of replacing the kickstarter pawls?

Thanks
Rob
1977 RE Bullet 350 that is slowly being converted to resemble a WWII era bike...

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 06:05:03 pm
I'm assuming you didn't pull the clutch lever in before you used the kick starter?

If you did, that's the answer.  The clutch has to be engaged in order for the kick starter will turn the engines crankshaft.

If the kick starter actually is not engaging, at least you have an iron barrel with its separate transmission.
It isn't that hard to get into these transmissions to repair it.
If you had one of new UCE powered motorcycles your task would be MUCH harder.
To change the kick starter pawl the entire UCE engine has to be torn apart.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 06:38:56 pm
For the benefit of those more knowledgeable than I, unless I'm mistaken, our man Stogierob has one of those nice old Albion 4-speed boxes on his Iron Belly with the additional fortunate grace of a proper old right-hand shift to boot. His previous postings here have mentioned his kickstarter not engaging until well into its swing. So yeah, a good look-see of the pawl is indicated.

I've got a 5-speed left-shift box that I've only ever had the outer cover off of, so cannot be of much assistance. I've no idea if his has the improved seal that allows one to run gear oil and/or grease, or just grease in his box, so guidance from those knowledgeable with 4-speeds might want to touch on that too (whether it should best be done at the same time as sorting out the kickstart, since he'll be in there anyhow, or at all, for that matter).
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 09:45:53 pm
You need to remove the outer and inner covers. It isn't real hard, but you have to watch what you are doing.
Go to Hitchcocks Motorcycles technical pages and search for replacing 4 speed kick start pawl. I know that they have a tech sheet on it. You just have to search it out on their site.
Replace the spring too, while you are in there.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 10:47:38 pm
    Years from now people will be searching the archives and will be intrigued to find out why Royal Enfield cylinders don't move when their kick starters are kicked. Very strange :) ;)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 10:57:45 pm
I bought a military Bullet 500 about 8 years ago from a guy who had a similar symptom. Sometimes the piston would move when he kicked it, and sometimes it wouldn't. I drove down to Chattanooga to see if I could help him out.

So, I pulled the primary and saw that the primary moved every time the kicker was moved, but the piston sometimes didn't.

Verdict: Broken crankshaft on the drive side. The jagged break in the shaft would sometimes catch and move the piston, and other times it would slip and not move the piston.

He didn't want to do a full rebuild, so I bought it from him and took it home in the truck.

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 03:32:22 am
And this weekend, the kickstart return spring gave up the ghost.  so the list of things that need immediate attention are the carb, the kickstarter, and the decompression valve.  time to get to work before it gets too damned cold in the garage to work...

rob

PS:  got i hope it's not the crankshaft...
1977 RE Bullet 350 that is slowly being converted to resemble a WWII era bike...

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 10:45:10 am
I'm assuming you're not just having a bad case of clutch slip. It's unlikely to be a broken crankshaft.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: September 28, 2019, 04:59:06 pm
parts have been ordered.  once the new dog is installed, i'll also adjust the clutch as that is probably why the kickstarter would swing through without moving the piston.  it feels like clutch slip.

at the top of the gear box cover, there is a grease zerk.  i've read that 20w-50 can be used in the gearbox, but i've also read about 000 grease.  what is the 'right' grease to refill the gearbox?

Thanks
Rob

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 07:21:25 pm
The grease is installed at the factory. You top it up with 50w or 20w-50.
It becomes a slurry when hot.
You don't add any grease.

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 11:01:10 pm
In the video for replacing the kickstart dog, a lot of the grease was removed.  As the grease it likely 43 years old, it seemed prudent to replace it.  There have been several threads on other boards (haven't searched this one) that talk about anything other than grease leaking from the gearbox.  not a huge leak, rather a slow drip.  but if it's unobtainium, my follow up question would be 20W-50, SAE50, or SAE90.  all have been mentioned as gearbox lubricant.

Thanks!
Rob

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 01:17:23 am
I can only speak for my gearbox, but I have attempted to replace the 00 veedol with: Lucas treatment, 90 w gear oil, 50 w oil and that all leaked past the felt seal behind the drive sprocket.  My '99 does not have a seal on the drive side other than the felt patch seal. So, the lucas, 90 w gear oil etc. would leak out over a months time.  I finally went to "Snapper" 00 grease.  The snapper grease seems to have plugged the felt pad, and now I just top up with 50 w oil. Your results may vary.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 12:15:43 pm
In the video for replacing the kickstart dog, a lot of the grease was removed.  As the grease it likely 43 years old, it seemed prudent to replace it.  There have been several threads on other boards (haven't searched this one) that talk about anything other than grease leaking from the gearbox.  not a huge leak, rather a slow drip.  but if it's unobtainium, my follow up question would be 20W-50, SAE50, or SAE90.  all have been mentioned as gearbox lubricant.

Thanks!
Rob

I use 90 in the AVL. Seems fine. No drama. Results may vary.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Enfield Pro

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 12:53:22 pm
You should use 00 grease in the 4 speed gearbox.
Tim
2009 G5 Military W/Sidecar
USCA #9136
REOC Member

Stogierob

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 12:20:10 am
i have found sources for 00 grease, so i'm covered.  still waiting for parts to arrive.

Thanks
Rob