Author Topic: Royal Enfield product reviews  (Read 76922 times)

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #225 on: August 26, 2019, 12:36:58 pm
I have had grip puppies on my handlebar since the bike was new.
with those that you are reviewing, does the join get in the way or get uncomfortable especially on the throttle grip over longer distance?

Not at all. That is why you place the joint just after your finger tips stop, as described in the video. The only place the joining surface touches is the curve of the hand by the thumb, so, you essentially do not notice it is there. I Rode hundreds of miles to the "Royal Ramble" and back Saturday and they did great. Less hand fatigue, less vibrations and even in the rain, they were blissful comfort.
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #226 on: August 26, 2019, 02:17:15 pm
I too have been using Original Grip Buddies for the past 5 years or so, on several of my motorcycles. But they are not perfect.  Their surface starts wearing out and splitting after about a year of use. They also tend to slip and rotate after a while on the grip on some bar surfaces, like the ones on my Royal Enfield, especially when exposed to hot temperatures. Plus, at around $25 a pair they are not all that cheap.

I have now switched to both Grab-on foam grips and the similar Grip Puppies, covers that do not wrap but slide over the ends of your handlebar ends. They, and similar products, can be bought for around $13 a pair on both Amazon and many motorcycle shops, like the BMW shop that I frequent.

Now what gets really confusing is the name of the products.  I have Grab-on and Grip Puppies on my shelf, still in their original packages and they both are the same type of product that are just foam covers that slide over the bar ends.  However the wrap-around grip covers, as are shown in Bmadd34's video, are sold under the brand name Original Grip Buddies, now just called Grip Buddies, as shown at this link:  https://www.advdesigns.com/orgrbuhacogr.html    ???

Anyway all of these products work just fine and do cut handlebar vibration, as well as increasing the grip size, which I find more comfortable when grabbing the grips for long periods of time.  Plus, they prevent wear of the original grips.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 02:20:44 pm by Richard230 »
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #227 on: August 26, 2019, 10:17:14 pm
I also should have mentioned that the Original Grip Buddies/Grip Buddies (whatever name the company is currently using) might be worth the extra 10 bucks if you have something on the end of your bars, like brush guards or bar mirrors, that are a hassle to remove. Those foam Buddies wraps allow you to easily install the grip covers without needing to remove the bar end accessory, as you would have to do with the Grip Puppies or Grab-on covers. 
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #228 on: September 04, 2019, 01:41:50 am
Thanks for showing this video.

It reminded me that I needed to oil up my 1911, .45 auto and my Mauser HSC, .380.  While I was at it I replace the cartridges in the clip with some fresh ones.

It may be a "hobby" to him but hopefully he and his friends won't try their skills on my home or belongings.  If they do, they may find themselves gaining a few hundred grains of jacketed lead.
  That doesn't sound like much weight to gain but unfortunately for the person gaining the weight, it tears a good sized hole in the body in the process and the hole tends to leak precious body fluids out of them.

Oh well, he's got his hobby and I've got mine.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #229 on: September 04, 2019, 12:19:44 pm
Thanks for showing this video.

It reminded me that I needed to oil up my 1911, .45 auto and my Mauser HSC, .380.  While I was at it I replace the cartridges in the clip with some fresh ones.

It may be a "hobby" to him but hopefully he and his friends won't try their skills on my home or belongings.  If they do, they may find themselves gaining a few hundred grains of jacketed lead.
  That doesn't sound like much weight to gain but unfortunately for the person gaining the weight, it tears a good sized hole in the body in the process and the hole tends to leak precious body fluids out of them.

Well that is a coincidence, I to have a Mauser HSC, 3 of them actually, one in the nickel finish, and also 2 1911's, but that obviously not an uncommon gun. I actually have a rather nice collection of 380's, and will post pics if anyone is interested.
9fingers
9fingers

Oh well, he's got his hobby and I've got mine.
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

Guaire

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #230 on: September 04, 2019, 04:04:57 pm
Firearms don't escalate. With a good owner, records show that the use of firearms de-escalate crimes. Particularly, a crime in progress.
  This video is in incredibly poor taste and ill considered. Bike stealing is a real problem. It has happened to members here. Saying I want to joke about a cancer death in the family is not welcome. Making a joke to cover it, is like spraying paint on a crap.
ACE Motors - sales & administration

9fingers

• Grand Gearhead
  • From the New Hampshire part of New Jersey
Reply #231 on: September 04, 2019, 05:29:11 pm
I didn't watch the video, should I?
9fingers
Currently own:

2016 Classic Chrome Maroon
2020 Moto Guzzi V7III Special
V Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Beta Rev 3 270
Honda TLR200 custom
Honda TL 250 TMI custom frame
Honda TL 125
Yamaha TY350

microbc

• Scooter
  • Should have got a RE years ago!
Reply #232 on: September 04, 2019, 06:13:48 pm
While I don't have any issues with the topic of the video, as a lot of people actually do have lock picking as a hobby, I do wonder why it is being shown in a forum titled "Royal Enfield product reviews"

I love the reviews about stuff for our bikes and appreciate the effort Brad puts in to keeping us updated on Royal Enfield related items.
2013 Classic C5

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #233 on: September 04, 2019, 06:54:26 pm
While I don't have any issues with the topic of the video, as a lot of people actually do have lock picking as a hobby, I do wonder why it is being shown in a forum titled "Royal Enfield product reviews"

I love the reviews about stuff for our bikes and appreciate the effort Brad puts in to keeping us updated on Royal Enfield related items.

I felt the same when this first came around on the gittar, but did not comment because of political correctness being what it is today and figured I would get slammed for being critical. I also could make no connection to RE Product Reviews or even why it was posted here.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

microbc

• Scooter
Reply #234 on: September 04, 2019, 08:01:03 pm
Hey tooseevee,

Well I have never been accused of being politically correct so hopefully I didn't offend anyone.

I see you are in Wakefield, RI.

I was born and raised in West Warwick then lived in Cumberland before moving to California 15 years ago (I miss New England).

I was a quahog fisherman (that is how I put myself through college) from the time I was 15 to 25.

Now I ride the back roads of far Northern CA where my biggest worry is avoiding the cows and wild turkeys!
2013 Classic C5

Bmadd34

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #235 on: September 04, 2019, 08:15:43 pm
I made the video as an informational thing not to make ight of motorcycle theft in any way. My intentions were not to anger or offend anyone (They never are), so I do apologize for that. I have removed the post containing the link and again, I'm sorry. I strive to create interesting content that I think you guys might enjoy, I clearly missed the mark on this one. I do appreciate your honesty and I will try to use this as a learning experience to better gauge the companies and products I work with in the future.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 08:27:21 pm by Bmadd34 »
When Life hands you lemons, Squeeze them in his eyes and take his wallet.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #236 on: September 04, 2019, 11:08:37 pm
Hey tooseevee,

Well I have never been accused of being politically correct so hopefully I didn't offend anyone.

I see you are in Wakefield, RI.

I was born and raised in West Warwick then lived in Cumberland before moving to California 15 years ago (I miss New England).

I was a quahog fisherman (that is how I put myself through college) from the time I was 15 to 25.

Now I ride the back roads of far Northern CA where my biggest worry is avoiding the cows and wild turkeys!

You didn't offend anyone. I wasn't accusing YOU of ANYthing or of you offending anyone. I only quoted your post because (as I said) I agreed with you  :)

BTW I is the only living conservative left in RI. I wish now I had left here immediately I got out of the service in '68. But, as they say in RI, that's all water over the bridge now  :) 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 11:15:46 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

microbc

• Scooter
Reply #237 on: September 05, 2019, 12:39:28 am
          You didn't offend anyone. I wasn't accusing YOU of ANYthing or of you offending anyone. I only quoted your post because (as I said) I agreed with you  :)

BTW I is the only living conservative left in RI. I wish now I had left here immediately I got out of the service in '68. But, as they say in RI, that's all water over the bridge now  :)
Oh I never thought you were accusing me of anything. I was just letting those who may be more politically correct than me know that I hoped I didn't offend them!

Well, I feel like I am the only conservative in California. When I come back yearly to RI, I see how liberal the state has become but trust me it doesn't compare to the nonsense out here.

Aside from going to RI to see my elderly mom, the only other thing I look forward to is the hot weenies!
2013 Classic C5

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #238 on: September 05, 2019, 02:15:52 am
either way you look at it -its not easy making videos - as wildbill knows......

olhogrider

• Classic 350 Desert Sand
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Blue Ridge Mountains of NC
Reply #239 on: September 07, 2019, 03:40:57 am
It was a fun and informative video. I wondered about lock picking a few years ago. It is always depicted (pun) as faster than using a key. I found some locks were unbelievably easy and others were more difficult. The real thing I learned is anyone with an eBay set of picks and a few views of youtube videos can become a better than average thief. Locks won't protect you from a pro, but they might make him go after an easier target instead of your bike. And yes, I have had bikes stolen. Nothing beats good insurance.