Author Topic: bad crankshaft  (Read 1765 times)

Dale Ice

• Scooter
on: March 09, 2021, 12:18:18 am
After putting it off, I finally pulled the top end of the 2001 Bullet 500 that I've been suffering over. The problem was immediately obvious. The piston has been hitting the intake valve due to the crankshaft being broken or nearly so. The crank lobe on the timing gear side can move independently of the rod and the other lobe...probably not good...explains the metal in the sump and the no run condition...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 01:49:41 am
Wow! A variable compression engine! Cutting edge tech! ;D ;D ;D  I feel your pain, Brother...

Dale - where are you at?  Maine? Florida? Orygun? ;)

These folks are in the USA and may have some insight on crank rebuilding/replacement. Worth contacting. (  https://westerncyclesupply.com/  )

Mr. Price at PricePart has complete needle bearing cranks ready to go for £375/$500 USD, plus probably another $100 for shipping & core charge. That's what I'd do. It's a standard Bullet bolt-up crank with Price's needle bearing con rod. Needle bearings really like clean oil, but they don't need much of it. Two stroke tech!

https://www.pricepartmotorcycles.co.uk/ourshop/prod_2986111-144693sx-needle-crankshaft-500cc.html

https://www.pricepartmotorcycles.co.uk/ourshop/cat_314445-Crankshaft-Bearings-Connecting-Rods.html

Hitchcocks has a line of premium crankshafts for £1050/$1400 USD, if you are going to build a performance motor that's the ticket; might as well go with the 570cc stroker if you're pulling a sidehack - same cost.
https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/LONG-STROKE-CRANKSHAFTS/3281
PART No. 200160A ; CRANKSHAFT, LONG STROKE, INDIAN 500cc kick+electric start models ; £1,050.00
As with our other UK crankshafts these are a race proven all English-made crankshaft (NOT a reworked Indian made crank), which uses our own competition designed forged steel connecting rod. The crankpin has a far larger diameter than the standard big end or RE13 roller version. It is a press fit into the flywheels and therefore, will not work loose as can happen on the original assembly. It uses a steel needle caged bearing. The flywheels are precision engineered from high quality steel billets with ground bores for the crankpin and main shafts. Designed with both the enthusiast and racer in mind.
570cc CRANKSHAFT: Designed for the 500cc Indian built Bullets the new stroke of this crankshaft is 103mm (Standard is 90mm), giving a new engine size of 570cc or 612cc, if used in conjunction with our 87mm forged piston (part no.: 90020). On most models this should require no modification to the crankcase, but this should be checked as crankcases can vary. With our forged piston and the fitting of a 3mm compression plate, it will give approximately 8.5:1 compression ratio.
( The stroker with a 84mm 6.5/1 forged slug makes about 7/1 CR, good for hack use. - ACR -)

The OILING system needs careful checking - there is a reason the crank bearings died. The rod didn't break, the piston didn't drop a skirt, the rod failed. Oiling is the obvious culprit. Could be something easy like the Worm Seal died, or the pump discs may be shot. All that stuff can be rebuilt.
( In retrospect, it's also possible that the crankpin nuts came adrift. In any event the cases need to come apart. Remember - "There's no substitute for cubic dollars!" :o :P ;D  )
xxxxxxxxxxx
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 02:40:50 am by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 08:07:40 am
Not unheard of, the crankpin has probably sheared on the timing side. More than likely caused by poor truing of the mainshafts and flywheels, which can be quite common from new on these models. A new crankpin and floating bush may be all that is required, although the main bearings may have taken some stick in the process.
 B.W.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 12:15:43 pm
Further investigation might reveal the flywheels are scrap if the mainshaft has been spinning in them. The crankcases will have to be dismantled anyway, so check the main bearing housings for damage too.

A good used reconditioned crankshaft as above would be a start if the crankcases and the other major lumps of the engine are still OK.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 03:53:04 pm
I bought a used Bullet 500 that had the same type of broken crank.
Not an everyday problem but it does happen on occasion.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Dale Ice

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 06:18:35 pm
Again, thanks all! I'm in N. Calif.
I'm searching for a complete, electric start engine to fit the 2001 Bullet...if possible...
When I completely remove the crank, I'll report back...I might build it to sell...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 09:08:48 pm
Good money after bad I'm afraid. The PricePart crank will get you back on the road, no point to acquiring another project if you'er tossing this one. Crank & $100 worth of main bearings and you're all good. You'll then have a machine with a known good crank, so back to the original plan?

OR - pedal it as is, skip the "Greasy Herbert" part, move on to something more fun/less work? There are still a couple 1500cc Goldwing flat six trikes out there for under $2000, ready to go, add gas, no falling over at stoplights! Sell the sidecar to a UCE owner with reliable electric start package. There's a UCE in San Francisco that needs cosmetic work but otherwise is sound, $1000...? I'd do that if I was planning on driving a RE sidecar rig.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 06:49:48 pm

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 10:58:37 pm
The first one doesn't look like a Bullet crankshaft, the (remaining half of the) STEEL con-rod suggests it's possibly a model G or WDCO crankshaft.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Karl Fenn

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 26, 2021, 07:25:50 pm
Crankshafts on singles are always a bone of contention, weakest part of the bike if you want my opinion have been for decades on the Brit and RE. Buying a bike in the 70s was like buying a lucky bag will l get a good bottom end or bad.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 07:28:42 pm by Karl Fenn »