Author Topic: Washington State Bullet owners?  (Read 348614 times)

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #690 on: May 23, 2012, 04:47:27 am
Another couple of ideas:
There is the annual Mods vs Rockers ride on June 2nd starting at 4 pm at the Cretins MC clubhouse
The Isle of Vashon TT
And the weekend of August 24th-26th Is the "Summer Shakedown" vintage motorcycle event at the Lemay Museum in Tacoma sponsored by The Ace Cafe. On Sunday they are doing a ride to Rainier hosted by the VME.

I'm in. :D
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #691 on: May 23, 2012, 06:30:42 am
Hey gang, I posted a thread with some pictures of last Saturday's meetup here in the Trips/Events forum:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,14455.0.html

Eamon
Eamon

StealthBomber

• Scooter
Reply #692 on: May 23, 2012, 06:48:30 am
Just wanted to say thanks for the invite to the Seattle rally. It was great to meet all of you, drink some beer, and eat some good food. Seeing all the mods got me thinking and spending money already. I have a cafe racer kit enroute with a twist. Its for my C5 military so all the new parts will be OD green. I'll post pics when the parts come in.

~Josh

mikail gransee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #693 on: May 23, 2012, 04:34:00 pm
Just wanted to say thanks for the invite to the Seattle rally. It was great to meet all of you, drink some beer, and eat some good food. Seeing all the mods got me thinking and spending money already. I have a cafe racer kit enroute with a twist. Its for my C5 military so all the new parts will be OD green. I'll post pics when the parts come in.

~Josh

Thats what I like soo much about the Enfields...can cafe it one day, military it the next, vintage it the following...kinda like a "snap tight adult model".    ;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:00:49 pm by mikail gransee »
-"ONCE YOU STOP CONTRIBUTING, YOU BEGIN TO DIE",   -ELENOR ROOSEVELT

1999 Enfield Bullet
1977 Yamaha xs360 TD
1978 Yamaha xs 400 D
2005 Yamaha YZF 600R
2007 Honda CBR 1000RR

dunters

• Scooter
Reply #694 on: May 25, 2012, 06:54:23 pm
So my new toy arrived this morning.  :)

...but I'm embarrassed to say, I can't seem to get her started.  >:(

I'm sure it's just technique or something really embarrassing like the cut off switch is off (it's on), but whatever the issue, my knee and the bottom of my foot are getting sore.

I've followed all the steps in
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?topic=72.0
and this video as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41igYhb_XDg (though mine's a mikuni carb)
..and no luck. Any advice for my sorry ass, or anyone around wanna show me how it's done? I'm much better with visual and hands on explanations so if any of you are around these parts (Ballard) today or this weekend, I'll buy you a beer.

Here's a pic, ...damn, damn sexy!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #695 on: May 25, 2012, 06:59:16 pm
Sorry, I'm a UCE electric start only guy so I can't give you much first hand advice.  I'd contact the seller and ask if he knows any tricks or if there are any known quirks. 

It looks fast just standing still!  Congrats, and I'm sure you'll have it running soon.

Scott

Mitch

• Scooter
Reply #696 on: May 25, 2012, 09:07:58 pm
Hey All,

Nice to see you all had a good time.  The Silver Bullet is at Vince's for a tune up and some minor mods.  Off in 12 more days...

Mitch

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #697 on: May 25, 2012, 10:39:36 pm
dunters

I'm sure you already know this but your bikes engine must have 3 things to start.
Compression, the right fuel/air mixture and spark.

Have you removed the spark plug, connected the wire and rested the body against the cylinder head while kick starting?  You should have seen a nice big blue spark at the electrode.  If you didn't you've found one of your problems.
No spark can be caused by a low battery voltage, transmission not in neutral, the side stand down (in later models with a side stand switch), dirty or incorrectly adjusted ignition points, blown fuses....
The list goes on.......

Is the engine getting fuel?  Sniffing the freshly removed spark plug can give a good indication.
If there is no fuel smell it's possible your fuel tap (off/on valve) on the tank is plugged with dirt or rust, the carburetor needle valve is stuck shut or the fuel tank lid is not letting in any air.
If these things seem to be operating OK you might try carefully pouring 1/2 teaspoons worth of gasoline down the spark plug hole, reinstalling the spark plug and giving it a kick.  It should fire at least once.

If the spark plug is wet with fuel the engine is flooded.
If so, make sure the choke is off and the decompression release is on.
Then, with the throttle wide open kick the engine thru at least 4 full kicks.
Usually, kicking the engine thru is not fast enough to draw much if any fuel thru a wide open carburetor so the carb won't add any fuel and all the fresh air will remove a lot of the excess fuel in the cylinder.
You might want to leave the ignition on while doing this because often when things get dry enough the engine will fire.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #698 on: May 26, 2012, 08:14:09 am
I've had a starting problem recently raise it's head. A supposed, "secure" connection in the headlight shell keeps coming apart.

I have a 6 year old iron barrel Bullet and I thought it had been vandalized, as I could not get it started. In tracking down the possibilities I found it disconnected. It is the white snap together connector to the ammeter. It may be visible on the right side at the back edge of the headlight shell. If not, remove the headlight and check your connections. I have since found it disconnected again and have slipped a small nylon zip tie throughout the connection to revive any slack in the locking barb. Of course, I will have to cut he zip tie if I ever need to disconnect it.

I have a picture of the white connector. I will try to post it. (I may have a problem because this is a new computer (a Mac) and the RE forum has recently changed so here goes...

Note: Sorry, BIG picture. Still learning my new Mac...

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 08:34:04 am by jest2dogs »
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
Reply #699 on: May 26, 2012, 08:19:42 am
There doesn't seem to to be a way to delete a message in the edit mode....
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 08:32:17 am by jest2dogs »
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

dunters

• Scooter
Reply #700 on: May 26, 2012, 06:25:23 pm
Thanks everyone for your advice and a huge thanks to Brad for coming over and getting her started and schooling me on the bike.
Brad was successful in starting the bike, but we also found a bunch of other problems, so I'll be studying hard this weekend and ordering parts.
I'm out of town next weekend but anyone fancy a tech day or tech weekend on June 9th and/or 10th?

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #701 on: May 27, 2012, 06:24:56 am
anyone fancy a tech day or tech weekend on June 9th and/or 10th?

Tentatively yes,,,,,,(there is a 10-15% chance of work scheduled for me )

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #702 on: June 18, 2012, 05:21:33 am
 At the get together brother Holodeck suggested a run to Wilkerson and it was well received.

We have chatted about it via pm and are wondering who would like to go there on a pre run route REcon sometime soon.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #703 on: June 18, 2012, 07:55:43 pm
Another Backfire Moto on Wednesday the 20th. Who is going?
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #704 on: June 19, 2012, 01:40:37 am
Weather forecast for next Sundays possible REcon run to Wilkerson.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Seattle+WA+USWA0395:1:US