Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 7399 times)

fernf5

• Scooter
  • These are the good old days....
on: November 06, 2019, 06:31:09 pm
Hi Gents-Don't see an intro section anywhere so here goes. I'm new to RE's and this site. I've already got a ton of useful info by searching old posts. I really like what I've seen so far. RE owners seem like great folks! I have  rerouted my breather lines and lowered the oil level per posts I read and don't have a puddle under the bike anymore. Those tips were hugely appreciated by a new owner. Old news to you all by now. I plan on drilling the breather lug on the left side of the cylinder out in the future.
Bought a 2007 Bullet Deluxe ES. 1300 miles on the odometer. I'm 3rd owner. Don't know for sure if the speedometer has been replaced. BUT, the bike is in very good shape mechanically and physically. I've been all over it from stem to stern. A couple of ham fisted cross threaded nuts/bolts that were easily repairable. I put 150 miles or so on it. Big smile on my face, love the bike.
PO installed the Hitchcocks starter sprag kit. He also removed the decompressor which I promptly RE-installed. He gave me the parts but I'll be darned if I can figure out the handlebar lever part he gave me. Seems to be missing something, so for now I'm pulling the cable by hand and have ordered a replacement brass one from India.
Went to change the oil. The PO had sent along 4 oil filters with all the parts he had pulled off over the years as well as all the receipts for Hitchcock parts. Like $1000 worth. Anyway after I drained the oil (from all 3 places, filters etc) I went to replace the oil filter. The filters he had sent were the ones for later models. So now what? Started looking for filters and parts suppliers. Ebay had a lot so I ordered some from India and from a guy in the states. Turns out the guy from the states is Tim from Western Cycle Supply whom you all know. Great guy! Actually CALLED me to tell me that I had ordered a oil drain magnet that wouldn't work. Had a nice conversation with him. What a nice change from what I'm used to as an owner of an M72 Russian bike that I bought as a basket case. No phone calls from THOSE vendors!
So, I have four 2.5x1.5 filters if anyone can use them. Just pay me for the postage.
Kind of a rambling intro so I'll sign off before I get too long winded. Too late? More to come;D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 06:41:09 pm by fernf5 »
2007 Bullet Deluxe ES
1999 FLSTC

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 06:40:44 pm
Great post.  :)  Glad to have you here.

Tim is one of those rare guys who will go out of his way to be helpful and he probably knows more about which parts work and which parts don't work better than anyone else in America.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Enfield Pro

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 12:01:41 am
Welcome to the Royal Enfield family Fern. 2007 was a great year! Keep up on the maintenance, ride it as intended, and don't  "upgrade"  ??? to an electronic ignition. If you can manage all of that I think you will have a long and mutually beneficial relationship.  ;)
Tim
2009 G5 Military W/Sidecar
USCA #9136
REOC Member

fernf5

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 01:28:15 am
Thanks guys. Tim, I guess "mind reader" can be added to your resume :o. The PO had already changed to electronic ignition...but I have the complete points setup that he included in the deal. It was already on the "list" to be changed back. (Really appreciated the call and updating my order!) Doug
2007 Bullet Deluxe ES
1999 FLSTC

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 05:49:29 pm
Welcome aboard, Fern! My earlier ahoy somehow got blasted into the aether when I hit "Submit".

I too have a latter-day 2005 "Iron Belly" that had real issues with its cloggy cockamamie crankcase breather and catch can system coming off the timing case. When it intermittently clogged up it would commence sploodging all the motor oil out in a big puddle. Having yanked the catch can rigamarole out, punted it into the hedges, installed one of those KrankVent doodads way up high behind the battery with a hose from it down to near the center stand and capped off both the return line fitting at the timing case and the inlet at the air filter box with wine corks and hose clamps, it's been clear sailing ever since. I might one day do that perhaps more "optimal" restoration of the breather outlet to the left-hand side of the crankcase if I ever pull the engine, but for now and my sedate style of riding, I'm pretty happy as it stands. Same goes for my electronic ignition installed by a previous owner. If it ain't broke, I ain't gonna fix it.

Enjoy! It's a great Forum, and I have it and the swell and knowledgeable folks on it to thank for my getting my own ride squared away so quickly. By the way, after about ten posts the trippy letter challenges and wacky  ornithological quizzes at each login will cease, once the system is satisfied that you're not some Malaysian spambot here to peddle your all-natural 'Viagrunt' male enhancement ointments. You should also be able to attach image and other files to your posts.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 06:42:56 pm by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 02:29:53 am
Welcome aboard. Another 2007 deluxe owner here (mine is blue if you are curious).
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

fernf5

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 03:58:22 pm
Thanks for the greeting Bilgemaster and ddavidv. Bilgemaster I followed your tribulations through your posts and others recommendations (Ace) and thanks to them I solved my issues. The PO of my bike had the oil level way to high as it turns out as well. Smoked like a vaper  :o  when first started till it burned off all the pooled oil. When I bought the bike I didn't spot this stuff because the bike was warmed up before I rode it. Oil leaks and a smoking motor are two issues that are not tolerable to me so it was a great relief to fix them both so easily! I'm VERY happy with the bike now. No oil escaping anywhere. It's a joy to ride. BTW I bought some Quicksilver gear lube too!
I have also fixed the decompressor lever issue I had. I was missing the little ferrule where it goes into the left switch. Made my own out of an old carb fitting I had.
ddavidv Nice to know there is a twin Deluxe (except for color) here. Hope I may be of service somehow in the future. There's probably a joke here somewhere about which 2007 Deluxes are faster black or blue but I won't go there... ;)
Edit:Hoowee ddavidi, just finished reading about half your saga on your bike. I feel really lucky now that my bike is relatively unmolested. guess time will tell...I DID notice some tiny metal flecks when I changed the oil on mine
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 05:25:55 pm by fernf5 »
2007 Bullet Deluxe ES
1999 FLSTC

Tarnand

• Andrew
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 08:07:01 pm
Welcome Doug.

[...]  I plan on drilling the breather lug on the left side of the cylinder out in the future.  [...]

You mean like this?  I have done just that and now I have some second thoughts if it really is the optimal solution. 

2005 KS (ex ES) Bullet 500cc
1994 FLSTC
1983 FXRS

fernf5

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 02:18:11 am
Wow, Tarnand that looks really nice! Excellent pics. My casting there is very rough. I'll bite, what are your thoughts on the wisdom of drilling out the breather? 
2007 Bullet Deluxe ES
1999 FLSTC

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 01:23:15 pm
Not all the un-drilled breather stubs are anywhere near as good as that one. You can always trim the stub back then drill and tap into the breather cavity for some sort of pipe union, 1/4" BSP or NPT, or even some fancy anodized JIC fitting with a braided stainless hose!  :o.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

fernf5

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 02:56:30 pm
Thanks Adrian II-Any of the various "operations" seem a little daunting to me at the moment. Since my current setup is working so well. I will file your suggestion and keep it in mind for use at a future date. After I put on some miles  ;)
2007 Bullet Deluxe ES
1999 FLSTC

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 03:04:20 pm
The purpose of that left side breather elbow location is to be behind the baffle of the bore liner, so as to reduce expulsion of oil mist whipped up by the crankshaft.

The breather must be inside the crankcase in order to lower the crankcase pressure during operation.

If there are alternative ideas about better locations for it, I would be happy to hear any.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Tarnand

• Andrew
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: November 09, 2019, 07:18:03 pm
The purpose of that left side breather elbow location is to be behind the baffle of the bore liner, so as to reduce expulsion of oil mist whipped up by the crankshaft.

The breather must be inside the crankcase in order to lower the crankcase pressure during operation.

If there are alternative ideas about better locations for it, I would be happy to hear any.

That precisely what I have in mind.  Perhaps the opening I have drilled is way too large.  To make things worse I have later enlarged its diameter (see photo).  Result was such that after starting the engine i a matter of just a few seconds the side of the engine was dripping with oil.  Maybe installing some restrictor of i.e. 2mm (or less) diameter would help.  I did not try it yet.  As an alternative I am considering adopting a solution similar to one that is used in my Harley Evo engine.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 07:20:35 pm by Tarnand »
2005 KS (ex ES) Bullet 500cc
1994 FLSTC
1983 FXRS

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: November 09, 2019, 09:59:34 pm
The original hole in that vent is pretty big, I wouldn't worry about making it smaller. Do you have a duckbill on the end of that vent pipe ?
The original breather system was a 11 inch piece of hose with a duckbill on the end.  Exited right over the sprocket and chain.
Piston came down duckbill opened and vapor came out, piston goes up duckbill closes and creates vacuum in case. System worked flawlessly for 40 years before they started exporting them to the sensitive country's.
Very little oil vapor comes out of mine and what does lubes my chain for me.
What I have noticed is if I fill the oil tank up to the max line in the dipstick it will spit oil out until it gets down to about the halfway mark and then it stops and stays pretty much there. So When I add oil I only go up to the halfway mark and leave it at that. That has been a common thing on the 3 iron bbls I have owned and a friends AVL.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 10:10:28 pm
That precisely what I have in mind.  Perhaps the opening I have drilled is way too large.  To make things worse I have later enlarged its diameter (see photo).  Result was such that after starting the engine i a matter of just a few seconds the side of the engine was dripping with oil.  Maybe installing some restrictor of i.e. 2mm (or less) diameter would help.  I did not try it yet.  As an alternative I am considering adopting a solution similar to one that is used in my Harley Evo engine.

You can use a Hitchcocks' breather tower to route the oil back to the oil tank, I would suggest via a non-return valve, Krankvent or similar.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...