Author Topic: 1995 500 bullet  (Read 2075 times)

jrharper89@yahoo.com

• Neophyte
on: August 18, 2009, 10:49:19 pm
i recently got a 1995 bullet 500 for my birthday,but before i can ride it we have to fix the clutch. the clutch was dragging so my dad replaced the the clutch pack,which is everything in the clutch minus the basket,and it still drags,what else could be the problem? do other people have this problem? and btw it is a 4-speed. any help you can give would be great thanks everyone!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 11:12:13 pm
Make sure the plates are flat, which isn't always the case, even when new.
Then, make sure that the rod and linkage are properly adjusted, which sometimes takes a bit of trial and error work.

The clutch is an old style British clutch, and doesn't have much throw to disengage and engage, and anything that 's not quite right can make it drag.
And it cannot withstand sitting at traffic lights with the clutch lever pulled in.
That will overheat it and warp the plates, and it will get worse.
And it will wear the rod or friction-weld the ball bearing on the rod to the rod,  when you hold in the clutch lever for a long period.
Put it in neutral when stopped at a light.

If you make sure that the plates are flat, and you play with the adjustments for a while, you should be able to get it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 03:34:24 am
i recently got a 1995 bullet 500 for my birthday,but before i can ride it we have to fix the clutch. the clutch was dragging so my dad replaced the the clutch pack,which is everything in the clutch minus the basket,and it still drags,what else could be the problem? do other people have this problem? and btw it is a 4-speed. any help you can give would be great thanks everyone!

The friction material on the basket could also be out of true. The miracle clutch basket that CMW sells takes care of this problem. And like Ace pointed out, your metal plate pack should be checked. Use a thick piece of glass or any other known true flat surface to check for irregularities.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 03:55:20 am
Welcome and Congrats on the new ride!!
  Have you adjusted the push rod throw on the right side behind the little round cover? The following procedure from my files has been the best explanation I've found yet...
and it werks!!           - Mike
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have found the clutch adjustment very very fine... A difference of 1/8 of a turn on the adjustment nut makes the difference between slip and drag. Make sure that you cable is not kinked, well lubricated, and runs as straight as you can possible achieve. Do not over fill the primary case with oil; just enough oil to cover the bottom run of the chain on the clutch chain wheel. Do not use engine oil! Loosen off the cable adjuster, adjust the push rod clearance so that it just touches the rod, back it of 1/8 of a turn and carefully tighten the lock nut. Then take up the slack in the cable.
 Assuming that your plates are still serviceable,
 if it still slips, back the adjuster off another 1/8 of a turn. If it drags when hot, increase by 1/8 of a turn.
Tim N.Z.
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill