Author Topic: Prohibitive shipping costs to UK customers...  (Read 1634 times)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
on: February 13, 2011, 09:30:57 am
I want the one-piece oil filter cover for my G5. Hithcocks in UK still haven't got these!  I checked NField Gear's shipping cost. To ship this $33.95 item to the UK costs $73.83.
 Is this a mistake?    :o ???

A couple of days ago I shipped an item weighing approximately the same and about five times larger to the USA. Air Mail, recorded signed-for delivery. It cost £16.22 - that's $26.00!

Simple tip for UK buyers: get it shipped to a friend in the US, then get them to ship it to you marked "gift" on the customs form. Even with both shipping costs you'll save half. This will also stop UK customs & excise getting their snouts in the trough at this end, saving a further £10 "customs fee" plus 20% of the total in VAT!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:51:07 am by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 11:45:02 am
 I agree.  But $73.83 shipping for a lightweight $33.95 item? $107.78??!!
 I don't think so...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 11:50:37 am by WillW »

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 03:53:30 pm
duties are really high there..wow....u gotta to wonder why so much...is the govt. health care that good over there...
Oh Magoo you done it again

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 04:09:21 pm
Yes we pay import duty (if the value is over a certain amount) and VAT (20%) on top. We also now pay a £10 "fee" for them checking the package and collecting the money. In other words - we pay to pay..... ???
The health care is pretty good - but I thought I'd already paid for that!   :(

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 04:15:40 pm
Will, My wife ships to England every week. Most recently she shipped a 6lb. box,priority airmail from Massachusetts on the East Coast to London at a cost of $47.00.
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 04:23:41 pm
15 bucks to check the package out by customs...vat  luxury tax is pretty much on non food items over there? If u buy a new car or enfield is their 20% added?   What if it is used, do u pay the 20% when u MOT it and register it?   I use to live there but was under armed forces agreement and never got to know any of that stuff

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 04:36:43 pm
VAT only payable on new vehicles. It's not added to MOT, but is added to repairs if the repair shop has a high enough turnover. Best to find a small place or a guy working on his own.
VAT (value added tax) replaced "purchase tax" many years ago. It started at 7.5%, now it's 20% !  It's charged on almost everything, including services but not food. There are a few exceptions but mostly we all get stung on pretty much everything we buy new.  A business registered for VAT can claim back the VAT they've paid on goods and services pertaining to the business, but they must charge VAT on their own goods/services.
It's a great government racket. Spend £100 and £20 goes to the government. Don't get me started on fuel tax and the rest of it.  And they wonder why there's a thriving "black economy"  (cash only  -  hush hush)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 05:12:20 pm
yeah it always sounds reasonable in the beginning 7.5...now it 20% and of course it so ingrained  that everyone figures its just part of living...U know the saying u give them a inch and they take a mile...Pandora's box has been open and Downy street is happy as a lark...u poor bastards..Yeah I don't blame anyone for paying cash....guess some things u just can't get away from that dreaded VAT..U think the imbeciles would have it back to  say 2% and everyone would just pay it and not try to get out of it...Everyone pays and the burden is shared and they have more money than they know what to do with...Nah...That won't work either as only the ones with money will buy anything anyway...Guess its time for some crisps and wash it down with a pint or two or three..

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 02:02:11 am
Found this site on Ebay. Looks like it might be Brit. Never used them.

http://stores.ebay.com/ENFIELDcounty/SPARE-PARTS-MANUAL.html
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 09:06:45 am
"So WillW, would there be an advantage to having a friend in the US buy through CMW or his dealer, then ship it to you?"
Exactly  -  see my original post.

That Enfieldcounty website has prices in dollars, but it looks like an Indian site. They usually are, and the same applies regarding import taxes.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 02:15:37 pm
What did that part weigh? It may have something to do with the high shipping rate. $33 worth of lead?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 02:20:14 pm
It's just the one-piece oil filter cover. Not heavy at all. Actual shipping cost overseas around $25 I should think.  A long way from $73.83........

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 03:30:57 pm
I have them ship from UK parcel post, or a slow boat ! The value is Quality of the parts, the cost is still lower than the overpriced US distributors. Most of my shipments have been labeled antique parts, not subject to vats.
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 04:42:20 pm
Yes if you can get the sender to label the package "appropriately", you can save a lot of money.  Parcels sent to UK marked "gift" with a value less than £40 are exempt from duty. I always ask suppliers in the USA if they'll do this - mostly they wont, especially if it's a business.  NField Gear wont, some Ebay sellers will.