Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
350 J Platform / Re: Meteor management light
« Last Post by sanpan on Today at 11:12:42 pm »
Update:

About a thousand or so kilometres later, the EML light stayed gone, which is great. Also - my scanner finally arrived which I hooked up to the motorcycle today.

Ha! The usual suspect - error P0106 with the MAP sensor.

Shall I just go ahead and clear this one? Or let the dealer take a look regardless? The bike runs like a dream as before. My next service is not due for another 1000 kilometres.

Cheers,
San
650 Interceptor & Continental GT / Re: Tire size/tune size?
« Last Post by Hoiho on Today at 10:53:35 pm »
When I ran tubes; I changed them every tyre change. Haven’t run them for a couple of years now..  ;D
350 J Platform / Re: Interesting old catalogues
« Last Post by paulmh on Today at 10:11:14 pm »
Deleted.
650 Super Meteor & Shotgun / Re: Super Meteor 650
« Last Post by Senior Moment on Today at 10:04:32 pm »
I finally went with the SM650. I took delivery of it yesterday, and so far I'm extremely happy with it  ;D

I put 200km on it on the first day, absolutely fantastic and a joy to ride. It's my first bike so I was a little anxious about how I'd feel about motorbikes in general, but I felt much more at ease than I thought I would.

I threw in some night-time riding on twisty backroads yesterday just to see how well the stock lights are, and in my opinion some side-shooting extra pods are a *must*.

The stock headlight is bright enough and on high-beams reaches out as far as you'll ever reasonably need... in a straight line. It has absolutely *zero* illumination to the sides though.

On a dark moonless night I couldn't see squat on the other side of a corner, even with clear line of sight. I had to go through turns that I know like the back of my hand at much lower speeds than I would have during the day just because I couldn't be certain there wasn't anything in my path (animals, debris etc).

Absolutely beautiful machine otherwise. Can't wait to enjoy it more.

Thanks for your report about night riding. I still haven't ridden at night yet (or much in the day lately due to weather) but I hope to soon.

Regarding beam patterns, I found this video helpful in making my purchase decision. I'm assuming/hoping it will prove accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=perDt9R2Txs
Campfire Talk / Re: E-Bike developments
« Last Post by Richard230 on Today at 09:53:29 pm »
This guy races his Sur Ron electric bicycle against 600cc ICE motorcycles. Needless to say he has made a few modifications to get to go faster than the factory settings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfOi303vKZE&t=38s
650 Super Meteor & Shotgun / Re: Super Meteor 650
« Last Post by Dan47 on Today at 09:28:23 pm »
Hullo, I'm new here as well :) Prospective Super Meteor 650 buyer, I'm teetering between that and a Kawasaki Vulcan S.
I finally went with the SM650. I took delivery of it yesterday, and so far I'm extremely happy with it  ;D

I put 200km on it on the first day, absolutely fantastic and a joy to ride. It's my first bike so I was a little anxious about how I'd feel about motorbikes in general, but I felt much more at ease than I thought I would.

Thanks for the kind words. As to the lights:

I haven't ridden at night, so I can't yet comment on that. I will say, however, that the Denali lights are both VERY bright, so I expect they'll do their job at night.

I threw in some night-time riding on twisty backroads yesterday just to see how well the stock lights are, and in my opinion some side-shooting extra pods are a *must*.

The stock headlight is bright enough and on high-beams reaches out as far as you'll ever reasonably need... in a straight line. It has absolutely *zero* illumination to the sides though.

On a dark moonless night I couldn't see squat on the other side of a corner, even with clear line of sight. I had to go through turns that I know like the back of my hand at much lower speeds than I would have during the day just because I couldn't be certain there wasn't anything in my path (animals, debris etc).

Absolutely beautiful machine otherwise. Can't wait to enjoy it more.
« Last Post by axman88 on Today at 09:16:15 pm »
Every state is different. In California electric bicycles are class 1, 2 and 3, with 3 being the fastest version, allowing you to go up to 26 mph (as I recall), however there are plenty of electric bicycles that you can buy that will go much faster.
It's 28 mph for Class 3, 20mph for Class 1 & 2, with differences in HOW the power is made available.

The US federal Consumer products definition that was set up over 20 years ago has done a lot towards standardizing requirements nationally. 
https://raevbikes.com/pages/e-bike-laws#:~:text=Under%20the%20US%20Consumer%20Product,only%20by%20the%20electric%20motor.
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2003/02/12/03-3423/requirements-for-low-speed-electric-bicycles

I think this was a huge factor in helping the industry move forward, since they could standardize on components that could be sold in multiple markets.

One thing that I personally find interesting, is that, there is currently a bit of what I'd consider a loophole, in that manufacturers can use the CONTROLLER to limit power and speed.  Many are fitting MUCH more powerful motors than the 750 watt max. that is allowed by the legalese.  Like this motorcycle styled bike that has a 2.0kW motor attached:  https://www.coswheelebike.com/products/ct20s-ebike

I've read several accounts and seen videos wherein the factory programmed limits can be removed by finding a firmware hack and loading this into the controller.  Presto!, and the bike is now capable of 40+ mph.  Anticipating the eventual closure of this "loophole" after somebody's kid does an unsuccessful Evel Knievel into cross traffic, has me thinking I should buy a machine NOW.   But the performance / price ratio keeps getting better, every time I look, so I continue to hold off.

I get the impression that our Euro brothers aren't getting access to anything like the same experience.  Their market seems to be filled with much lighter machines with much more modestly sized motors, designed for street commuting, not off-road hooliganism, and built to meet their 25 kph limit.

If you want to go faster, grab a license plate and hop on your new "Speed Bike"!   https://www.autoevolution.com/news/friday-27-is-the-fastest-legal-e-bike-in-europe-you-need-a-license-to-ride-one-218100.html#:~:text=Or%20you%20can%20make%20the,25%20kph%20or%2015.5%20mph.
Bullet Iron Barrel / Re: too low
« Last Post by BruLan on Today at 09:02:32 pm »
Hmm, The early slabbies and later Gixers were Twin Shocks both 750's and 11's
They had three way adjustable Shocks and USD Forks after 89 again three way adjustable
That's Preload - Compression & Rebound front and back an utter myriad of complexity and settings 
The Mk3's 600, &750's and 000's had the Mono shock easier to set up
Interestingly the TL1000(S) had a rotary shock that was fun too , never quite worked on such a steep raked bike,
I do realise he Bullet has conventional twin shocks
« Last Post by Richard230 on Today at 08:28:44 pm »
Electric bicycles are restricted to a maximum 15 mph speed here. (That isn't electric motorcycles obviously )

Every state is different. In California electric bicycles are class 1, 2 and 3, with 3 being the fastest version, allowing you to go up to 26 mph (as I recall), however there are plenty of electric bicycles that you can buy that will go much faster.
Bullet Iron Barrel / Re: too low
« Last Post by REpozer on Today at 07:49:52 pm »
Back in the olden days of Classic Motor Works, seems that Bullet 65 rear shocks was an affordable up grade. I went with Hagons years ago, and cant remember what I did with my old RE shocks.
I checked Ebay and was blown away by the choices .
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10