Author Topic: 450 Himalayan  (Read 20313 times)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
on: December 02, 2022, 07:14:03 am
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/auto/bikes/bigger-royal-enfield-himalayan-650-adv-what-to-expect/articleshow/95848025.cms
Nov 29, 2022

...But if such a motorcycle is soon coming, it will be quite a wait before the 650 Himalayan makes an appearance and an unveiling can be expected no sooner than the end of 2024 or 2025. Until then, Royal Enfield has an all-new engine to introduce with the Himalayan 450, which is expected to launch sometime sometime in early 2023.

Considering it's a new engine, it will most likely spawn other forms beyond the adventure tourer, perhaps a roadster called Hunter 450 and more. Royal Enfield's entry in the 450cc segment and the fact that CS Santosh is now with Enfield, the brand foray into the Dakar Rally also appears imminent. There are some very exciting times ahead for Royal Enfield and its fans indeed!

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 07:06:00 pm by AzCal Retred »
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 07:17:15 am
https://www.rushlane.com/upcoming-royal-enfield-350cc-450cc-650cc-motorcycles-launch-plans-leak-12454365.html

Royal Enfield will be introducing multiple new bikes based on its J-series, new 450cc and 650 twins’ platforms

Royal Enfield upcoming 450cc bikes To remove limitations reported with current Himalayan, Royal Enfield has developed a new 450cc platform. Himalayan 450 is expected to be the first bike based on the new 450cc platform. It will have a liquid-cooled motor. Test mules of 450cc Himalayan have already been spotted, indicating possible launch next year. A more off-road focused variant is also under development, based on the new 450cc platform. This bike will be similar to rally bikes, with features such as long suspension travel, wire-spoke wheels, higher ground clearance, rugged engine guard and single-piece seat. Other bikes based on the new 450cc platform include a cafe racer and scrambler. The former gets features such as bikini fairing, alloy wheels and clip-ons whereas the scrambler will be distinguishable with features such as wire-spoke wheels and high-mount exhaust.

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 08:55:03 am
Flickable cafe racer single sounds damn good to me :)
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 02:24:20 am
https://www.indiatimes.com/auto/current/royal-enfield-2023-new-motorcycles-586793.html

From Shotgun 650 To Himalayan 450: Here Are The Upcoming Royal Enfield Motorcycles

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 14, 2022, 02:01:43 am
https://gaadiwaadi.com/royal-enfields-first-450-cc-bike-to-launch-next-year-all-details/

Royal Enfield’s First 450 CC Bike To Launch Next Year – All Details: December 13, 2022

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 is expected to go on sale in the second half of next year to take on KTM 390 Adventure Royal Enfield has been caught testing a dual-purpose adventure touring machine based on a brand new platform for months now and it will likely become the first 450 cc motorcycle to launch in India sometime next year. With the growing popularity of the adv space, Royal Enfield is expected to take advantage of the situation by offering a brand new model. It could be christened the Himalayan 450 judging by the good reception for the Himalayan nameplate. We do believe it to compete directly against the likes of KTM 390 Adventure. The Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 has been spied in both India and the United Kingdom and it will reportedly be powered by a new 450 cc single-cylinder liquid-cooled engine.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 15, 2022, 06:12:29 pm
Liquid-cooled Royal Enfield 450 Single Spied
DOHC engine in modern roadster seen testing.
By Ben Purvis
December 14, 2022

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/royal-enfield-450-liquid-cooled-single-spy-shots/

The bike you see here, was spotted in Spain near the Idiada test facility south of Barcelona, which is a huge testing ground for cars and motorcycles that has long been favored by brands such as Triumph and KTM for its year-round good weather. With many of Royal Enfields’ staff at its UK-based R&D facility having history at Triumph’s factory, situated just a few minutes’ drive away, perhaps it should be no surprise that the company is using the same proving grounds. With no branding or logos, you probably wouldn’t guess that the machine was a Royal Enfield. First, there’s no old-fashioned air-cooled engine, and the styling isn’t overtly retro. It’s a straightforward roadster-style machine with a midsized, modern single-cylinder engine that could as easily be a Japanese or Italian model as one that’s set to be manufactured in India.

It is a Royal Enfield, however, and we understand that the new engine has a capacity of around 450cc. The same motor was spotted earlier this year in England, when Royal Enfield was caught evaluating its next-generation Himalayan adventure bike, which will also use it. In this instance, the more standard style of the bike it’s fitted to, has sparked suggestions that it’s the replacement for the Himalayan-based Scram 411. Although the use of 17-inch alloy wheels instead of 19-inch front / 17-inch rear wirespoke units of the Scram 411 eliminates any lingering “scrambler” elements, so a different name might make more sense. Royal Enfield has a hoard of unused trademarks including Constellation, Flea, Flying Flea, Sherpa, Roadster and Shotgun (given the standard look of this bike, the simple “Roadster” might suit it).

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 16, 2022, 12:02:11 am
if i scrunch up my eyes real tight, i think i ca see a vague resemblance.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022, 07:41:29 pm
Those that have one… Do you think is worth it waiting for the new one?

Besides a bump on displacement, liquid cooled, 6-speed tranny... what else is new?

I sure hope there is no added weight penalty with the improvements…. Current bike is heavy enough as is….

Or should I pick up a 2022?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2022, 08:12:24 pm by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 04:34:20 am
No valid ETA on the 450. Hitchcock's already have a 460 kit. Probably the new LC450 will be $1K more than the AC411. If you are good with waiting another year for the LC, then wait. It's supposed to be a lot like the 370 KTM, about 35-40 HP, 375 pounds or less.

OR - get an older carby Himalayan & add the big bore kit, go riding right now. Tax time is coming up, always a good time to acquire new hardware on the cheap.

Andy C

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: December 22, 2022, 02:32:50 pm
So are we going to see lots of cheap 410 Himalayans on the market when these bikes get released, or is it going to be like other bikes where there is a "cult" following of a particular model.

Cant see me partiing with my 410 - it does everything I ask of it.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 22, 2022, 08:26:39 pm
i see the 410 himmy as a niche machine, the 450 is an attempt to compete in the bigger market with UJMs and other water-cooled bikes. i wish it success. would it be nice to have more power? you betcha. will i buy the 450? probably not, i'm more likely to hunt up something from the '70s. ok, boomer.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 23, 2022, 02:42:00 am
https://www.cartoq.com/royal-enfield-himalayan-new-roadster-to-get-450cc-liquid-cooled-dohc-engine/
Royal Enfield Himalayan & new Roadster to get 450cc, liquid cooled DOHC engine: December 17, 2022
Suspension duties on this new RE 450cc Roadster will be fulfilled by the standard telescopic front suspension and in the rear instead of the Hunter 350’s dual shock absorbers, this motorbike will come with a monoshock rear suspension unit. Reportedly its 17-inch alloy wheels will come wrapped with CEAT tyres and distinctively designed cast alloy rims. The new 450cc naked bike will get dual-channel ABS and front and rear disc brakes as part of the safety and braking equipment.
Reports suggest that most of the bike is in production form ready but it is still missing some odd bits that need finishing before it makes its debut. The bike will come equipped with an LED lighting system in which the headlamp will have a horizontal split between the top and bottom portions. It will be surrounded by LED turn signals that appear similar to the Himalayan’s prototype vehicle. It will also get an LED taillamp as well. The bulbous end-can exhaust system on this mule looks exactly like the one on the brands most affordable motorcycle the Hunter 350. The exhaust will come wrapped with heat shields and a feature a catalytic converter as well.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #13 on: December 23, 2022, 03:19:49 pm
No valid ETA on the 450. Hitchcock's already have a 460 kit. Probably the new LC450 will be $1K more than the AC411. If you are good with waiting another year for the LC, then wait. It's supposed to be a lot like the 370 KTM, about 35-40 HP, 375 pounds or less.

OR - get an older carby Himalayan & add the big bore kit, go riding right now. Tax time is coming up, always a good time to acquire new hardware on the cheap.

A few friends are looking into getting a Himalayan to have fun going off-road... maybe I can wait and then decide... or if a second hand, at a great price, shows up, I might just pull the trigger...

I got rid of my adventure bike and really like the looks and capabilities of the Himalayan... for the price it can't be beat.

Ride safe!
Wachuko

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #14 on: December 23, 2022, 04:28:48 pm
Hahahahaha... my friends have started to apply peer pressure... One bought this one just now:

Ride safe!
Wachuko

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 24, 2022, 02:36:48 am
i think RE has pushed the 411 about as far as it can go.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 24, 2022, 06:12:57 pm
coincidentally, if i get another bike it will be an H1.

bthtony55?

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: December 26, 2022, 05:58:35 pm
I do hope they don't go down the Japanese etc way of making a brand new model every 2/3 years which makes the last short run model obsolete.

They should look at the fact they have such a huge following and think why.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 26, 2022, 06:30:14 pm
@ #16: Will it be equipped with wheelie bars?  ;D ;D ;D My old one spent a lot of time clawing at the sky... :o

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: December 26, 2022, 06:45:41 pm
@ #17: 12-15 years seems to be the amortization/obsolescence span. The UCE arrived about 2008, the "J" model looks to replace it soon. [2023-2008=15] The Himalayan showed up in 2016, so maybe 5 more years? Depends on the LC450s price point. If it's cheap enough & sales are brisk, maybe they just go all in. There's always a bit more profit to be skimmed as the price goes up. If the LC450 can still be the prime DP entry point machine, that'll keep sales moving. The LC450 also is scheduled for at least 5 variants, that may be the nail in the coffin for the "500 Bullet" version of the "J" bike. If the LC450 actually hits the 35-40 HP & sub 400 pounds wet marks and sales are brisk, why muddy the waters? Contemporary buyers don't seem to demand traditional power plants, just performance.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 29, 2022, 09:03:49 pm
@ #16: Will it be equipped with wheelie bars?  ;D ;D ;D My old one spent a lot of time clawing at the sky... :o
:D no. i loved that bike. i had it up to nominal 120 mph once, but mostly just loafed around at or under the speed limit. it's hard to enjoy the scenery at just under the speed of light.
my first "big" bike after 2 dual-purpose, i just assumed they all handled like the H1, it was only afterward that i heard it called "flexible flyer", "triple with the ripple", "widowmaker". lighter, lower and more power than the himalayan, no valves to adjust or computers to reset... now, i want another. i see one for sale about 100 miles from me for less than i paid for the himmy.
lately i'm only allowed 1 bike... i'd be sleeping in the doghouse for the rest of my life. still, so tempting.
i suppose everyone had that one bike...

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: January 28, 2023, 03:22:53 am
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 gets tubeless spoked rims: 04 Dec 2022, 04:19 PM IST

https://www.livemint.com/auto-news/royal-enfield-himalayan-450-gets-tubeless-spoked-rims-11670149841871.html

As per reports, the new 2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 will come with tubeless spoked rims. Its tyres will be sourced from Ceat which is currently the OEM partner for the company. Currently the Himalayan 411 and Scram 411, both come with spoked wheels so the bike is fitted with tubes as well. The rim measures 21 inches at the front and 17 inches at the rear with dual-purpose tyres. The Himalayan 450 will be launched with the same-size rims with dual-purpose tyres but with tubeless spoked rims.
Royal Enfield is all set to launch a slew of motorcycles in India soon. The company is said to be working on eight motorcycles that will be launching soon. These may include Royal Enfield Bullet 350, Royal Enfield Scram 450, Royal Enfield Himalayan 450, Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650, Royal Enfield Shotgun 650, Royal Enfield Scrambler 650 and Royal Enfield Continental GT 650.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: February 09, 2023, 01:08:48 am
Looks like the LS450 will be around $6K, maybe 10% under the KTM.

https://www.rushlane.com/2023-royal-enfield-himalayan-450-spied-2-test-mules-new-12448597.html
2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Spied – 2 Test Mules, New Details ; FEBRUARY 8, 2023
Two test mules of the new 2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 have now been spied. Thanks to these, we now have a closer look at the upcoming Himalayan 450. As compared to the current model, Himalayan 450 comes across as an evolved machine. It has a contemporary design with a largely rounded appearance that’s more pleasing to the eyes. Some of the retro flavour has been retained, as evident in features such as round headlamp, rear view mirrors and instrument dial. 
As compared to current Himalayan that retails at a starting price of around Rs 2.2 lakh, Himalayan 450 is expected to be priced in the range of Rs 2.60 lakh to Rs 2.70 lakh. At this price point, it will work out cheaper than most other rivals including 390 Adventure that starts at Rs 3.04 lakh.

https://www.bikewale.com/news/royal-enfield-himalayan-450-spied-testing-again-new-details-revealed/
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 spied testing again; new details revealed; 08 February 2023
One of the top-angle pictures of the Himalayan 450 reveals that it boasts a muscular fuel tank but it tapers quite a bit at the rear to make it easier for the rider to lock in their knees. Also, the handlebar is pretty wide which should give good leverage while the seat is a split-type unit. Moreover, the bike also incorporates a sturdy-looking rear luggage rack and the Himalayan’s signature jerry can holders at the front. mm

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #23 on: February 10, 2023, 02:42:16 pm
Please do not change the center of gravity.... rather, improve it....  I do hope the change in tank does not shift it to make it top heavy.  I have not  taken a test ride on the current one... but from just sitting on it at the dealer, it felt well balanced.

Is the cylinder now at an angle? 

It appears, from the photos, that it will look significantly different from current model.  Like everything else, it will take some time to get used to the newer look.  As long as they improve on usability, then it should all be good...

My asks:

1. Do not make it top heavy... even better if they improve it and make better than the current model.
2. Do not make the seat taller.
3. Tubeless rims.
4. LED headlight
5. Somehow, find a way to make it just a tad lighter
6. A tad more friendly on the highway without sacrificing off-road abilities.  To get to some places that I want to go, and avoid placing it on a hitch carrier to drive there, I need to get on highways for hours... Would be great to be able to do so while keeping up with traffic.

Concerns:

1. Added complexity with water cooled parts... the current one is so simple in design.  Less things to go wrong.  I know that the move to water cooling had to be done to comply with emissions.

Ride safe!
Wachuko

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: February 10, 2023, 07:40:49 pm
"Ye olde rumour mille" keeps saying 300 - 350 pounds vs. +400, maybe 35-40 HP vs. 24, and a 6 speed gearbox vs. a 5 speed. It supposed to be a lot like the KTM 390 but with an extra 60cc. Price is largely conjecture, but 10% under the KTM is a routinely bandied about, so maybe $5.5K-$6K.

I can't imagine a new clean-sheet design that was actually worse handling than the Himalayan. The original Himalayan 411 proves that the RE designers were paying attention, and for the price point it's pretty good. Removing 50-75 pounds will make the suspensions job a lot easier, less pork generally translates to better off-road manners. The rub for me is that it had better be nearly as good as the KTM and at least $1,000 cheaper, otherwise they will languish in the dealerships.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: February 14, 2023, 05:45:15 pm
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 05:48:09 pm by AzCal Retred »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: February 17, 2023, 05:30:27 am
https://www.topspeed.com/the-royal-enfield-himalayan-450-aims-to-shake-up-the-adventure-bike-segment/
According to trusted Indian sources, the Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 could debut in mid-2023. It’ll first be launched in the Indian market, followed by Britain and Europe, and then in America likely by end of 2023. Once here, the new Himalayan will compete in the fierce entry-level ADV segment alongside the Honda CB500X, BMW G 310 GS, and the KTM 390 Adventure. Would you pick an Indian company over trusted Japanese and European offerings? Let us know in the comments.

bthtony55?

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: February 17, 2023, 09:00:26 pm
https://www.topspeed.com/the-royal-enfield-himalayan-450-aims-to-shake-up-the-adventure-bike-segment/
According to trusted Indian sources, the Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 could debut in mid-2023. It’ll first be launched in the Indian market, followed by Britain and Europe, and then in America likely by end of 2023. Once here, the new Himalayan will compete in the fierce entry-level ADV segment alongside the Honda CB500X, BMW G 310 GS, and the KTM 390 Adventure. Would you pick an Indian company over trusted Japanese and European offerings? Let us know in the comments.
But I thought the BMW G310 GS and KTM 390 was also made in India. If so, I think Yes, whichever you chose it would be an Indian bike. The last 650GS single were made in China. Does it matter any more.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: February 17, 2023, 09:42:14 pm
to some of us, yes it matters. china... i don't get much choice when it comes to electronics, and i've owned 2  pre-owned chinese rifles, but i will never own a chinese motor vehicle. june 4 1989.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: February 21, 2023, 03:42:54 am
https://www.carandbike.com/news/royal-enfield-himalayan-450-spotted-during-highaltitude-test-in-ladakh-3205834
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Spotted During High-Altitude Test In Ladakh: 20-Feb-23

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ahY0KMwVdvE
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/m6TS9RMzpyU

check out the snow chains!
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5hI8pbf4Tdg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 is coming soon: What to expect? Features, design and more; Feb 20, 2023,

https://www.businesstoday.in/auto/story/royal-enfield-himalayan-450-is-coming-soon-what-to-expect-features-design-and-more-370826-2023-02-20

The much-anticipated Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 is expected to be launched in India in September 2023, with a price range of Rs 260,000 to Rs 270,000. The company has begun testing of the Himalayan 450, as the adventure tourer was recently seen cruising in Ladakh's harsh conditions.
As per the company website, the Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 will come with long travel USD forks, a tire-hugging front fender, a monoshock at the rear, a side-slung exhaust, spoked wheels, and a big windscreen at the front. Large handlebars and disc brakes on both ends will make off-road riding even easier.
The Himalayan 450 is said to get dual-channel ABS with an off-road option that disables the ABS for the rear wheels, LED lighting, and potentially a 21-inch front wheel and an 18-inch rear wheel combination. The motorcycle, which is intended to be an off-road tourer, could also include a digital instrument console with Royal Enfield's Tripper feature.
The much-anticipated bike is expected to be equipped with the company's first liquid-cooled motor. The engine will be a 450 cc single-cylinder unit with a top power output of 40 horsepower and a 6-speed transmission.
The new Himalayan 450 will definitely come up with upgraded features, but that doesn’t mean it will be lighter in weight.
The new Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 is said to compete with the Yezdi Adventure (188 Kg), KTM 390 Adventure (162 kg), BMW G 310 GS (374 lbs (169.5 kg)) and the upcoming TVS 310 ADV (174 Kg).
{411 Himalayan 439 lbs (199.1 kg):  Hero XPulse 400 (193 kg)}
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 04:02:03 am by AzCal Retred »

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: February 22, 2023, 12:39:35 pm
I'm shopping this segment at present. I'd own a Scram, but the 26hp is just not adequate for my touring needs.
40hp gets it pretty much on par with the CB500X, the darling of the category. The 6th gear should allow effortless US highway cruising.
2023 Scram 411, 2007 five speed 'Deluxe', 1964 750 Interceptor

pedro__

• Scooter
Reply #31 on: February 22, 2023, 10:05:31 pm
Honestly i wouldnt pull trigger on first generation of himalayan 450 with water cooling... theres bound to be issues since this isnt RE territory, even normal himalayan took years for so much small stuff...like stator coild lasting 15 k miles lol... any of you guys that buys a first gen is an absolute mad lad lol
Speedfight 50cc 1997 , Interceptor 650 2021

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: February 23, 2023, 09:38:44 pm
It looks like new LC450 Himalayan will sell for maybe $6K and still weigh maybe 440 pounds or so. I'm not seeing why anyone wouldn't just get the KTM at $5500 - $6000 and 80 pounds lighter. If it actually shows up at $4500 - $4800 to give some wiggle room against the 390 KTM Adventure, it may be a sales winner. Extorting folks to pay top dollar for the status of being the "first kid on the block" is short sighted marketing thinking. The KTM 390 Adventure is a proven platform. If you intend to move some new design model units, something's gotta give. That'll be the up front buy in. Maybe $4500 for the "crappy 'ol RSU fork" stripper model, $6000 for the USD fork & bags equipped unit?

The warrantee should take care of any "New Model" parts, mechanical and electrical issues. I'm not seeing any particular voodoo associated with building a liquid cooled machine in 2023, they just needed to copy what already works elsewhere.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: February 25, 2023, 02:23:24 am

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #34 on: February 25, 2023, 06:10:36 pm
Really hoping for tubeless spoke wheels…
Ride safe!
Wachuko

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: February 26, 2023, 12:53:54 pm
Well, hopefully RE can do what KTM didn't and make the pegs sit flat.  ;D

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #36 on: February 28, 2023, 08:38:47 pm
Call me old school... but I so much prefer the dual gauges to this single one that seem to be showing in the spy photos...

Here is what it looks like in the Royal Enfield Super Meteor...
Ride safe!
Wachuko

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: February 28, 2023, 09:45:49 pm
no tach?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: April 05, 2023, 02:50:09 am
Whoops! :o

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 prototype crashes during testing; 3rd April 2023
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/royal-enfield-himalayan-450-prototype-crashes-during-testing
"At the time of the accident, the Himalayan 450 test bike was sporting wire spoke wheels shod with Ceat dual-purpose tyres. Note that these are not of the tubeless variety. The bike has a circular LED headlamp with a tinted visor, a raised front fender and a crash guard around the fuel tank. Moving to the rear, the Himalayan 450 has a 2-piece seat, a saree guard and a carrier with provision to mount a luggage box."

https://www.cartoq.com/first-royal-enfield-himalayan-450-crashes-india-testing/

« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 02:54:12 am by AzCal Retred »

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: April 05, 2023, 08:29:27 pm
looks like it ran into something, hard. gonna need another headlamp and front rim.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #40 on: April 06, 2023, 01:03:21 am
Crash testing and everything.  Cool!  :D
Ride safe!
Wachuko

mylovelyhorse

• Neophyte
Reply #41 on: April 06, 2023, 10:52:56 pm
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 prototype crashes during testing; 3rd April 2023

I hope the rider was OK

… a state of suspended disaster …

1979 CB400A, 1991 MZ ETZ251 & ‘23 Himalayan

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: April 07, 2023, 07:16:23 pm
R.E. test riders have all looked pretty young & spry as well as being just good riders. Young guys bounce better than geezers. Glad it wasn't me though!  :o

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: April 09, 2023, 04:36:40 am
SCRAM 450 - Jan 23 info

Royal Enfield spotted testing liquid-cooled 450 single-cylinder scrambler: 04 January 2023
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/royal-enfield-scram-450/
Spy shots have emerged from southern Europe showing a new liquid-cooled 450 scrambler in the works from Royal Enfield.
Believed to be called the Scram 450, the back to basics naked follows a 450 rally bike spotted in development back in August 2022 not far from their UK Technology Centre – suggesting the Indian brand is working on a range of bikes, using a new engine platform.
Although a 450 single won’t be setting any speed records and is unlikely to produce any more than 44bhp, it would be the only liquid-cooled engine in the range – slotting in nicely between the current air/oil-cooled 350 singles and larger parallel-twin 650s.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: April 09, 2023, 02:55:35 pm
nope, not a himalayan, no extra fender.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: April 29, 2023, 04:20:22 am
BIKEWALE EXCLUSIVE - Royal Enfield Roadster 450 | Himalayan 450 Based KTM 390 Duke & Triumph Street 400 Rivalhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwTpAnzNPxk

Project K1F 450 Roadster; release in parallel with new KTM Duke.

Himalayan 450 September/October 2023

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: May 10, 2023, 06:31:30 pm
More good news!!

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 New Spy Video – Testing Inside City SATYA SINGH MAY 8, 2023
https://www.rushlane.com/royal-enfield-himalayan-450-new-spy-video-testing-inside-city-12468124.html

Royal Enfield’s Upcoming ADV Spotted Again: May 9, 2023
https://www.zigwheels.com/news-features/spiedteasers/royal-enfields-upcoming-adv-spotted-again/49717/

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Production-Ready Unit Spied On Test: 10 May 2023
https://www.91wheels.com/news/royal-enfield-himalayan-450-production-ready-unit-spied-on-test

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: May 12, 2023, 12:31:51 pm
My take-away:  40-ish more cc's and water cooling.
Doesn't sound like it will be a vast improvement. Marginal displacement increase plus more weight and complication from the cooling system.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #48 on: May 12, 2023, 01:01:22 pm
My take-away:  40-ish more cc's and water cooling.
Doesn't sound like it will be a vast improvement. Marginal displacement increase plus more weight and complication from the cooling system.

It is supposed to be lighter than the current one.  But agree on the rest of your comments.

Plus I like the way the current one looks and I did not wanted to wait.  Oh, and to avoid first year issues and all that…
Ride safe!
Wachuko

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: May 12, 2023, 04:14:59 pm
It's a clean-sheet motor design. It has to be a revver or they won't get enough horsepower out of it to justify a change. So far the (rumored) specs say 6 speed and 35-40 HP, so that translates to increased RPM. The competition, the KTM 390 Adventure, squeezes roughly 38 HP out at about 9,000 RPM from its DOHC 4-valve. The RE design will need to be similar to get similar numbers. A revvy off road engine isn't new to the rest of the world, just to Royal Enfield. It had better be lighter as well, sub-400 pounds wet like the KTM. The 411 Himi is about 450 pounds wet. With a clean sheet design and good use of modern materials that shouldn't be a problem. A $1,000 cheaper, 400 pound wet 390 KTM clone with more midrange grunt should be a winner. A $7,000, 30 HP 460 pound porker, not so much.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/buyers-guide/ktm-390-adventure-2022/

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: May 13, 2023, 12:20:51 am
i appreciate that RE is trying to move into the 21st century, but i bought a "retro" bike because i want to go back in motorcycle time (to the mid-1970s). best of luck to RE but it's not on my want list.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: May 13, 2023, 12:55:05 pm
"Revvy" isn't a selling point to me for an off-road capable bike. I want torque, not HP. That's why the Versys 300X is a complete non-starter for me.
It's all wild speculation at the moment, and I suspect RE will make it better than my keyboard warrior opinion, but I am still saddened by the move away from the simplicity of the current model.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #52 on: May 13, 2023, 04:21:00 pm
"Revvy" doesn't equal no midrange or low end torque, it just means the operating RPM range of the engine is extended. Power = RPM x HP. More revs = more available HP. A machine with a 5000 RPM operating envelope lives & dies from roughly 1800 RPM to maybe 4000 RPM comfortably, a 2200 rpm spread. The 9,000 RPM KTM for example is usable from maybe 2500 to 8000 in normal use, so 5500 RPM range of usable power. This translates into it being possible to use lower overall gearing, so it's not overgeared at walking speeds yet not undergeared at highway speeds. The gearbox functions "longer" in each gear, the power overlap per gear is better. The Honda Cota Trials is an example of good midrange on a "high RPM" engine. The Kamikazi Versys 300X is tuned for top end beans. It could have easily been slanted more towards midrange and still had a 14,000 red line, that's a corporate marketing issue.

The whole issue of the comforting chug of a low rpm long stroke motor could have been resolved with a nice 7 speed gearbox, allowing the limited RPM operating range of the engine a reasonable shot at each road speed. The downside is that max power is still limited by RPM ceiling, and practical considerations such as starting & smooth low speed operation would suffer if compression was bumped to compensate. The long stroke/large displacement formula dictates a big (heavy) flywheel, automatically making it heavier than a comparable higher RPM configuration. More mass = harder to turn, harder to properly suspend, higher center of mass, none of which is beneficial to an economical off-road capable machine.

Everything is compromise. My stock 350 & 500 pre-unit Bullets aren't any faster than a modern 200cc machine, but that doesn't impact the "fun factor" to me. But for offroad, it's very heavy & the 4-speed gearing is way too high in first. It'd need a 6 speed gearbox with likely at least a 4 to 1 overall spread, and even then the ginormous flywheel weight and overall machine design restrictions make it no match for even an old XR185 Honda. The 5-speed UCE should have been the trailable Bullet, but it was never put in a decent frame and properly suspended. And it still would have been boat-anchor heavy compared to anything else. There is a good reason the 400cc trail-class DR Suzuki's & XL Honda's were so popular.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: May 16, 2023, 01:20:30 am
https://www.91wheels.com/news/royal-enfield-himalayan-450-things-we-know-so-far  [11 May 2023]

Verdict - Launch Time, Price, & Rivals
The most recently spied test bike showed us that it is almost production-ready. RE has been completing its final rounds of road testing. We suspect that the new Himalayan 450 might debut globally by September 2023. However, it'll take some time to launch in India but around the upcoming festive season, it shall debut in the domestic market as well. Speaking of its pricing, it'll be placed around or upwards of Rs 3 lakh. It will due to a new engine & more electronics on hand. Currently, its only direct rivals in India are - KTM Adventure 390 & BMW G 310 GS.

Polco

• Scooter
Reply #54 on: May 16, 2023, 04:21:48 pm
That's the same price as the Interceptor.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #55 on: May 16, 2023, 07:29:46 pm
In the first minute or so, check out the rear wheel action on "normal Indian streets", looks a bit like a Moto-X course!  ;D Supple travel though.
The rear turn signals look to be the same $20-a-set full-auto floppers I use. No flasher required - the LED TS assembly just needs a voltage applied. Slick.

ROYAL ENFIELD HIMALAYAN 450 AGAIN SPOTTED | 2023 | ROYAL ENFIELD HIMALAYAN 450 | HIMALAYAN 450 [ 10 May 2023 ]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVvciiT5qyI

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: May 20, 2023, 10:22:47 pm
Upcoming Himalayan 450 Set To Become The Snazziest Royal Enfield Yet: MAY 1, 2023
https://www.topspeed.com/upcoming-himalayan-450-set-to-become-the-snazziest-royal-enfield-yet/

Royal Enfield has sped up the Himalayan’s testing, that too, with near production-ready test mules. So a launch seems quite imminent, likely in the next couple of months. Like the Super Meteor, it’ll first set foot in India, followed by Europe, and then America in early 2024. Royal Enfield USA’s target will be to undercut the 390 Adventure in all markets, so we think it’ll cost around $6,500 in America–$1,000 more than the Himalayan 411 and $900 less than the 2023 KTM 390 Adventure SW.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: May 27, 2023, 03:36:38 am
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Spotted Testing On Roads Yet Again
by Aamir Momin May 24, 2023
https://www.zigwheels.com/news-features/general-news/royal-enfield-himalayan-450-spotted-testing-on-roads-yet-again/49879/

Watch Video: Check Out The Exhaust Note Of The Royal Enfield Himalayan 450
by Aamir Momin May 26, 2023
https://www.zigwheels.com/news-features/general-news/watch-video-check-out-the-exhaust-note-of-the-royal-enfield-himalayan-450/49902/

Upcoming Royal Enfield Hunter 450 – What We Know So Far
By Surendhar M -February 26, 2023
Read more at: https://gaadiwaadi.com/upcoming-royal-enfield-hunter-450-what-we-know-so-far/
https://gaadiwaadi.com/upcoming-royal-enfield-hunter-450-what-we-know-so-far/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 03:43:22 am by AzCal Retred »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: June 06, 2023, 01:16:21 am
Royal Enfield Roadster 450 & Himalayan 450 New Video ...
YouTube·Bullet Guru·May 30, 2023

https://www.google.com/search?q=450+royal+enfield&rlz=1CANQDY_enUS1047&oq=450+royal+enfield+&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i512j69i59j0i22i30l2j69i60l3.18347j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:253b70d8,vid:6cmeQL0uWO0

5 Reasons Why the Upcoming Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Could Be The Best Entry-Level ADV (And 5 Why It Won't)
BY UTKARSH SOOD, PUBLISHED 6 DAYS AGO

https://www.topspeed.com/5-reasons-why-the-upcoming-royal-enfield-himalayan-450-could-be-the-best-entry-level-adv-and-5-why-it-wont/

If the truth be told, who would mind a lighter Himalayan? Perhaps, that has been the foremost scrutiny the motorcycle has had to face ever since it was launched. At 439 lbs of curb weight, it is way too heavy for an adventure motorcycle. While there are some hush-hush rumors that the newer Himalayan will be lighter, how much Royal Enfield can shed off remains to be seen.
In comparison, the KTM 390 is around 330 lbs. How Royal Enfield plan to match that, or even come close to is hard to imagine, especially when a bigger, more powerful engine is to be housed. Unless the bike manages to weigh around the 400 lbs mark, it’s too heavy an ADV for us.

It took time, but it is almost certain that we will be finally getting a liquid-cooled engine from Royal Enfield. Not only will it help to keep the engine far cooler than the current generation, but it will also be a far more powerful setup. Thanks to a host of spy shots all the way in India, we could get our eyes on the apparent 450cc single-cylinder mill. It seems to be blacked out on multiple test mules, but it does seem roughly the same size as the current 411 - meaning it shouldn’t be heavier. On the plus, the number estimations are said to be around 40 horses of peak power and 33 lb-ft of torque. This seems like a considerable update in power figures, which should make the Himalayan 450 a more sensible adventure touring option.

The one thing that the Indian brand has nailed with all its offerings is the pricing. Currently, the Himalayan retails at $5,449 in the country. Its two closest competitors - the KTM 390 Adventure and Versys X 300 retail at $7,399 and $5,899 respectively. Even after the significant upgrades, we expect the Himalayan 450 to come in at around $6,500 which would mean it would still undercut its closest rival, the KTM 390. As for the mini Versys or even the BMW G 310 GS, the bigger Himalayan 450 will just simply not be considered in the same segment anymore.

The Royal Enfield Himalayan does have some pretty good low and mid-range torque. It has, however, always struggled to be fast, topping out at a mere 87 mph mark on the speedo. That means you end up spending more time on the saddle of the bike on the highway to cover the same distance. Not to mention, the engine has always felt stressed in the higher rev range. If Enfield has to make good on Himalayan’s early anticipation, they have to match it with a capable, faster and more powerful bike than the current one. What the rumored 450c engine is capable of, only time will tell…

...one thing we are truly hoping for is a switch to the more convenient (and lighter) tubeless setup.

First things first - the Himalayan is a rather easy-going bike to ride. It handles okay and doesn’t ask for much in return. But sadly, it isn’t a hardcore adventure motorcycle as the company claims. Yes, it does have a few attributes that put it to the task like the 21-inch front wheel and the 8.6-inch ground clearance. But its heft and the shortage of power just do not help its cause. This means while it has fantastic ergonomics for the road, it doesn’t have the power for it, and while it has the hardware for off-road, it is too heavy for it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 01:29:35 am by AzCal Retred »

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: June 06, 2023, 01:06:48 pm
That article makes me laugh. I don't know how they are defining "adventure bike". Here in the USA, ADV bikes are BMW GS, Yamaha Tenere, Honda Africa Twin and KTMs of at least double displacement. To say the Himmy is too heavy is hilarious.

Is the 411 underpowered? Yes, a bit. But it's tractability off-road makes it vastly superior to the Versys 300X. The KTM 390ADV is a road oriented bike full of compromises.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #61 on: June 06, 2023, 02:13:45 pm
That article makes me laugh. I don't know how they are defining "adventure bike". Here in the USA, ADV bikes are BMW GS, Yamaha Tenere, Honda Africa Twin and KTMs of at least double displacement. To say the Himmy is too heavy is hilarious.

Is the 411 underpowered? Yes, a bit. But it's tractability off-road makes it vastly superior to the Versys 300X. The KTM 390ADV is a road oriented bike full of compromises.

Always liked this video...

https://youtu.be/ujFJiw8UKfc

Found it when I was trying to decide what bike to buy to go on the trails...
Ride safe!
Wachuko

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: June 14, 2023, 12:15:03 am
More 450 dope...

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 test bike spotted with accessories; 12 June 2023
https://www.bikewale.com/news/royal-enfield-himalayan-450-test-bike-spotted-with-accessories/
The upcoming Himalayan 450 will also feature luggage compatibility, thanks to this hard-case setup. A set of panniers and a top box are mounted on the tail rack. Apart from that, the headlight is also protected by the grill. Rest all the bits seem standard to the previously spotted test bikes.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: June 14, 2023, 11:38:23 pm

New 2023 Royal Enfield 450 Himalayan Spy Shots! - MotoBob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65gEPdj8Ics

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: August 29, 2023, 06:16:26 pm
Could this version finally be the "Guerrilla my dreams"? ;D
Royal Enfield Guerrilla 450 trademark hints at new Himalayan 450 version
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/auto/bikes/royal-enfield-guerrilla-450-trademark-hints-at-new-himalayan-450-version/articleshow/103138422.cms?from=mdr

...and from the supercharged word processors of the exquisitely appointed offices of "Car & Bike":
https://www.carandbike.com/news/royal-enfield-guerrilla-450-name-trademarked-stealthy-offshoot-of-new-himalayan-450-3208915
The Guerrilla to be possibly offered in "Khmer Rouge" Red, "Che" Jungle Camouflage, "Shining Path" Chrome, "Janjaweed" Green, "Mujahideen" Mountain Brown, & "Taliban" White. :o ::)
Highlights
>Royal Enfield trademarks 'Guerrilla 450' name ahead of Himalayan 450 launch.
>Likely to be used for a stealthy, off-road-focused derivative of the new Himalayan.
>New Himalayan expected to be priced in the range of Rs 2.80-3 lakh.
Royal Enfield is gearing up for a busy end to 2023. At the start of September, it will launch the all-new Bullet range, and in November, the eagerly anticipated Himalayan 450 will arrive. Now, carandbike can confirm Royal Enfield has trademarked a new name for another upcoming motorcycle, which will bear the ‘Guerrilla 450’ moniker. While not much is known about the bike at this point, it will almost certainly be an offshoot of the new Himalayan family, adding variety and flavour to what is easily one of the most exciting two-wheeler launches of the year.
While the specifics are unclear at this point, the Guerrilla name points at the focused nature this Himalayan derivative is set to adopt. Just like the Scram 411 was to the original Himalayan, the Guerrilla 450 is set to be based on the new Himalayan, but with a sharper focus on off-road ability. In keeping with the theme of guerrilla tactics, the Himalayan’s sibling could be offered in camo and stealth paint schemes with revised styling, equipped with knobby tyres for enhanced grip over tricky terrain, wire-spoke wheels and upgraded suspension.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 06:34:48 pm by AzCal Retred »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: August 30, 2023, 07:21:48 am
More true facts!

Production-ready Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 spotted inside factory; Pratheek Kunder; August 30, 2023

https://www.bikewale.com/news/production-ready-royal-enfield-himalayan-450-spotted-inside-factory/?utm_source=BWSubscription&utm_medium=BrowserNotification&utm_campaign=BikewaleWebNotification&utm_term=156305

The pictures of this adventure bike has been clicked inside Royal Enfield’s facility. From these pictures, it is clear that this Royal Enfield retains some design language from the current Himalayan 411. Things like the headlight unit and metal frame connecting fuel tank to the headlight have been inspired from its current gen model. But rest of the things on this motorcycle are brand new, including that trellis frame. 

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #66 on: August 30, 2023, 10:51:33 am
I like the idea of the 450 and would line up to buy one. Unfortunately, the dealer here has proven to be so corrupt that there's no way I'd buy a bike from them so I guess I'm suffering what I've got or go 200m up the road to get a BMW (second hand).
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: August 31, 2023, 09:45:43 pm
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/royal-enfield-himalayan-450-leaked-ahead-launch

The first images of the production-spec Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 have leaked online. The new ADV is expected to be launched on November 1 and if the latest trademark filings are anything to go by, it could be called 'Guerilla 450'.

...seen here in the popular "Action Directe" black...

bthtony55?

• Scooter
Reply #68 on: September 01, 2023, 09:46:10 pm
I live across the road from the Triumph factory in Hinckley. I have seen testers on the bypass on the new 400 singles and they have a couple to sit on and play with as you go into the Triumph factory 1902 cafe.

The Triumph factory guy said they're just doing milage on these bikes. They have already released them in India where they sold 18 thousand in the first 4 weeks. Yes I said to him 18 thousand and he said yes. Its a 40bhp 370lb bike and looks very high quality. It will be at the bike show in November and released in the UK straight after. Maybe about £5000 - £5200K. Its about £2800 in India.
All the EU ones will be made in the Triumph Thailand factory. Interesting eh.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: September 03, 2023, 08:19:41 pm
YouTube video with better close ups of the previous 2 "leaked" photos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGunj-O3D84

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #70 on: September 13, 2023, 06:04:30 am
ROYAL ENFIELD HIMALAYAN 450 REVEAL TO FEATURE NEW GUERILLA LAUNCH
Simon Hancocks; Mon, 11 Sep 2023

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/royal-enfield-himalayan-450-reveal-feature-new-guerilla-launch

1 November is set to be the go-live date, confirmed by Royal Enfield. That means our first chance to see the bike in-person will likely be at the EICMA show in Milan in the second week of November and, as ever, Visordown will have boots on the ground to bring you all the news as it happens.

Royal Enfield Guerilla 450
It has also become clear, as reported by Motociclismo, that the Himalayan 450 will not be the only new bike from the Indian brand to use the single-cylinder 450cc engine. The registration in India of the name 'Guerilla 450' would suggest another bike, presumably a derivative of the Himalayan, is also on the way. The word 'guerilla' can be used in a number of contexts, but is perhaps best associated with outnumbered resistance fighters repelling large invasion forces, using irregular strategies and making the exploiting their knowledge of the terrain to attempt to overcome the invaders. Its use in the context of naming this motorcycle would suggest it to be more off-road-oriented than the Himalayan, but there are no solid technical details available yet - of course we are still almost two months out from the launch of the Himalayan 450 itself.

The Guerrilla to be possibly offered in "Khmer Rouge" Red, "Che" Jungle Camouflage, "Shining Path" Chrome, "Janjaweed" Green, "Mujahideen" Mountain Brown, & "Taliban" White....seen here in the popular "Action Directe" black...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 06:11:00 am by AzCal Retred »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: September 18, 2023, 04:31:20 am
deleted
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 04:33:26 am by AzCal Retred »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: September 21, 2023, 04:30:23 am
Finally, "real numbers"! 451.65cc, 29.44 KW @ 8,000 RPM, a bit over 39 HP. GVW of 394 Kg.(857 lb.) The 411 is good for 136 kg/300 lb. of load, zigwheels says the 450 load rating is 180kg/400lb. [860-400=460 lb./210 kg.] so the new wonder bike weighs about 20 pounds more than the 411. it'll be a helluva street bike.
These numbers put it squarely in the CB500X category. It better be $6K or less or Hondas "Proven Hammer" will eat them up.

https://www.zigwheels.com/news-features/general-news/royal-enfield-himalayan-450-specs-revealed/50999/
For starters, the doc reveals that the bike’s commercial name will be Himalayan 452. Hence, it’ll get a 451.65cc liquid-cooled engine that’ll make a solid 40PS at 8000rpm. That's a LOT more than the current Himalayan, but it’s also made a lot higher in the revs than the current Himalayan’s 24.3PS at 6500rpm. While the torque figures haven’t been revealed, we expect it to be somewhere between 40-45Nm, ensuring good bottom-end drive.
The doc also reveals a 394kg GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight), and given that its load carrying capacity is around the 180kg mark, which means the upcoming Himalayan’s kerb weight could be around the 210kg mark. That makes it around 11kg more than the current Himalayan’s 199kg kerb weight.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 04:39:53 am by AzCal Retred »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: September 27, 2023, 02:54:10 am
AdvRider weighs in. So far the LC450 is a 460 pound, 40 HP dual purpose bike that is load rated for two real 'Amurrikins according to Zigwheels. I really hope RE ditches the depleted uranium frame option before production starts.

Royal Enfield Teases Upcoming Liquid-Cooled Himalayan 450 Dual Sport; William Roberson; 9/4/2023
https://www.advrider.com/royal-enfield-teases-upcoming-liquid-cooled-himalayan-450-dual-sport/
The end of the Royal Enfield video features a drone shot with two riders on an alpine roadway, along with Lat/Long location information that centers on the city of Manali, where the original Himalayan 411 was first introduced. Metrics like weight, fuel capacity, wheelbase, price, accessories and so on are still unknown. There is a short bit of exhaust note at the end that sounds more like what you’d hear from a modern dual-sport. Will the new 450 supplant the 411? Unknown, but Royal Enfield could offer both, with the 411 perhaps holding down a lower price tag and the “adventure bike” end of things and the 450 being the more capable, more expensive high-end dual-sport option. Stay tuned.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #74 on: September 28, 2023, 01:03:45 am
Royal Enfield Himalayan 452 spotted in Leh during shoot; September 27, 2023,
https://www.bikewale.com/news/royal-enfield-himalayan-452-spotted-in-leh-during-shoot/?utm_source=BWSubscription&utm_medium=BrowserNotification&utm_campaign=BikewaleWebNotification&utm_term=158575

None of these other articles mention the bike weight except for Zigwheels. Zigwheels took the 860 pound GVW and subtracted 400 pounds for "live load' instead of 350 for the 411 and got a weight of near 460 pounds for the LC450 machine unloaded. I didn't see the load rating on the portion of the document shown. The 650 Interceptor is about 460 pounds wet.
I'm really hoping that the live load is actually 450 pounds or the GVW is really 800 pounds and the LC450 is actually a svelte 410 pounds. The 650 Honda is around 360 pounds,the KLR650 is under 420 wet, the Suzuki 650 V-Strom is 470 wet. I can't imagine that you could build a clean sheet 450 single almost as heavy as a 20 year old liquid cooled twin and as heavy as their existing air cooled twin.  The $5K RX4 is about 450 pounds dry, about 480 wet, but it's cheap.
https://cscmotorcycles.com/2023-rx4-adventure/

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #75 on: September 28, 2023, 02:28:41 am
Here's a write-up of the similar spec $6900? KTM 390 adventure. 9000 RPM KTM vs 8000 RPM RE , 380 lb. KTM vs maybe 460 lb. RE?

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/buyers-guide/ktm-390-adventure-2022/

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: September 28, 2023, 06:03:36 am
KTM is 390cc, 9,000 RPM, 89mm x 60mm. I think the LC450 B&S dimensions (451.65) may be 90mm x 71mm, it's purportedly an 8,000 RPM machine.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #77 on: October 04, 2023, 01:35:22 am
LC450 weight discussed at minute 8:50, assumed to be 200 to 210 kg. The 650 Honda & Suzuki dual sports are about 160 kg., so...how's it possibly 100 pounds heavier than a 650? The venerable KLR650 is about 210. So's the 450cc CSC RX4, but that one is cheap.

Upcoming Bikes in October 2023 | Royal Enfield Himalayan 450, Triumph Scrambler 400 X, Ather 450X 10/1/2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmAd4e9B8zM

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: October 06, 2023, 11:10:07 pm
Proof the new water pumper 452cc makes good power.
Maybe this wee torquer will supplant any need for a 650 Sherpa/Bear/?? if it can be had for under $6K. At least it'll have dirt worthy geometry. In theory it can carry upwards of 400 pounds and there's factory bags available.

2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Top Speed caught on camera || World Exclusive || Does 140 easily Oct 5, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEaO3T4SZYw

"While the current Himalayan cries at 120km/h, this new upcoming Himalayan 450 cruises easily at 130 and should do a top speed of 150km/h in my opinion. Why do I say so? While we were doing 140 on our speedometer, the bike kept pulling away + the rider was sitting upright and not crouching down + panniers don't help in slicing through air, right?
I think with no panniers, if a rider tucks in, this 2023 Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 will surely hit 150 km/h on the speedometer. For our international viewers, this means 94 mph. Good enough?"

« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 11:23:49 pm by AzCal Retred »

bthtony55?

• Scooter
Reply #79 on: October 07, 2023, 08:53:19 pm
The new Speed 400 Triumph is £4995 OTR and the scrambler £5595. Prices released in the last couple of days. Very competitive.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #80 on: October 09, 2023, 11:10:48 pm
196 kg "wet" (roughly 430 lb.) translates to a "dry" weight of 400 lbs. or so, way better than the possibly 460 lbs. of previous guesstimates.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 452 kerb weight and other details revealed
Ajinkya Lad; October 09, 2023

https://www.bikewale.com/news/royal-enfield-himalayan-452-kerb-weight-and-other-details-revealed/?utm_source=BWSubscription&utm_medium=BrowserNotification&utm_campaign=BikewaleWebNotification&utm_term=159667

The Himalayan 452 will tip the weighing scales with a kerb weight of 196 kg. Given that the motorcycle will make 39.47bhp from its liquid-cooled motor, the Himalayan 452 is expected to offer a power-to-weight ratio of 201.4bhp/tonne. This is significantly higher than the current model’s figure of 120.4bhp/tonne.

The Royal Enfield Himalayan 452 will be powered by a 451.65cc, single-cylinder, liquid-cooled motor that is expected to produce a maximum output of 39.57bhp at 8,000rpm, while the peak torque is likely to be in the range of 40-45Nm. The four-valve motor will come paired with a six-speed gearbox.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #81 on: October 10, 2023, 01:48:24 am
I guess RE decided to show a photo of the new Himalayan 452 as a result of the pricing being released for the Bajaj Triumph 400s.  Full launch next month at EICMA.

I'd expect to see a Hunter and Scram version with the new engine in due course to keep Triumph at bay.
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #82 on: October 10, 2023, 06:22:56 pm
i'd want to see actual production #s (price, power, weight) before i'd fork over my hard-earned cash but that triumph looks good, real good. if i had it to do over we might have a different outcome...

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #83 on: October 10, 2023, 10:26:20 pm
i'd want to see actual production #s (price, power, weight) before i'd fork over my hard-earned cash but that triumph looks good, real good. if i had it to do over we might have a different outcome...
It does look good but it is a Triumph in name only, it's a Bajaj / KTM engine for example.  At least with Royal Enfield they design and make their own bikes, not slapping a table on someone else's.
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

Piet.S

• Scooter
Reply #84 on: October 11, 2023, 03:32:19 pm
You can see the new here, out and about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKibLgw6JJ4
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 04:20:02 pm by Piet.S »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #85 on: October 11, 2023, 05:25:23 pm
Piet.S, you have posted the rumoured "Itchy Boots tests the new LC452 Himalayan" video!!!

Piet.S

• Scooter
Reply #86 on: October 11, 2023, 05:55:43 pm
Yes, she uploaded it this afternoon.
And I think it's the first time you can get a real impression of how it rides.

scott_650

• Scooter
Reply #87 on: October 11, 2023, 08:21:13 pm
Another fun video from Itchy Boots herself! The new L/C 452 sounds great, which is a factor, nobody wants a boring sounding (and feeling) motor regardless of output. One conclusion I’ve come to, that motor, as currently configured, will not end up as a replacement for the J model 350 - with the inclined cylinder it simply won’t look “right”. No reason RE can’t use the basic engine design with a more upright look but I really doubt we’ll see a 452 Classic/Bullet…but maybe a Hunter? The Hunter’s more modern look wouldn’t be compromised by a more modern looking motor. Though a 452 Scram could make it a moot point. Anyway, it looks like a much more capable bike than the current Himalayan, it’s going to be interesting seeing how RE prices it for the export market with the new Bajaj/Triumphs on the way.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #88 on: October 11, 2023, 08:57:25 pm
Another fun video from Itchy Boots herself! The new L/C 452 sounds great, which is a factor, nobody wants a boring sounding (and feeling) motor regardless of output. One conclusion I’ve come to, that motor, as currently configured, will not end up as a replacement for the J model 350 - with the inclined cylinder it simply won’t look “right”. No reason RE can’t use the basic engine design with a more upright look but I really doubt we’ll see a 452 Classic/Bullet…but maybe a Hunter? The Hunter’s more modern look wouldn’t be compromised by a more modern looking motor. Though a 452 Scram could make it a moot point. Anyway, it looks like a much more capable bike than the current Himalayan, it’s going to be interesting seeing how RE prices it for the export market with the new Bajaj/Triumphs on the way.
You’ll see a Hunter and Scram with it to compete with the new Bajaj Triumphs. Love the new instruments with nav mirroring, gear position indicator and rev counter as segments around the perimeter of the Speedo.  Not sure about the sound it just sounds like most singles but then again singles are the least interesting engine.
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #89 on: October 11, 2023, 09:43:47 pm
Piet.S, you have posted the rumoured "Itchy Boots tests the new LC452 Himalayan" video!!!

Just watched her today at noon (USA EST). Glad to see her back after she broke her hand.

Those eyes!!   :) :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #90 on: October 11, 2023, 09:47:10 pm
Yes, she uploaded it this afternoon.
And I think it's the first time you can get a real impression of how it rides.

She'll wring it out pretty well. She certainly beat her last bike like a borrowed mule & it just kept coming back for more. She beat her other Enfields to death also & they did quite well.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #91 on: October 11, 2023, 10:50:30 pm
Spring rates are good for traveling. Didn't see kick up from the rear, front was "plush" and sucking up road irregularities. Seemed controlled but not sloppy, the rider wasn't getting beat up or struggling for control. Obviously had good power at 17K feet, didn't hear the engine bogging or straining. Looks like they have the "Adventure Tour" setting dialed in. That map feature was clearly visible, it'd be nice in a new-to-you town or city.

El Saif

• Scooter
Reply #92 on: October 12, 2023, 02:44:57 pm
Itchy Boots has released a YT video of her riding a pre-production Himalayan 452 in Ladakh, India.

She commented that the new has twice the power, stiffer suspension with more adjustability.
REgards
2004 RE Thunderbird 350cc AVL KS only
2021 RE Continental GT650 in Rocker Red

Piet.S

• Scooter
Reply #93 on: October 12, 2023, 04:16:10 pm
And that engine seems great. Smooth and strong. Purring like a kitten.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #94 on: October 12, 2023, 08:49:41 pm
And that engine seems great. Smooth and strong. Purring like a kitten.
Franky can't see how you can conclude anything about it from a video like that.  No doubt it will be significantly better than the current engine but anything new would be.
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #95 on: October 12, 2023, 08:50:23 pm
Itchy Boots has released a YT video of her riding a pre-production Himalayan 452 in Ladakh, India.

She commented that the new has twice the power, stiffer suspension with more adjustability.
She said it had almost twice the power, probably a RE talking point given to her.
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

El Saif

• Scooter
Reply #96 on: October 12, 2023, 11:58:38 pm
Itchy Boots comments about increased power and stiffer suspension are obviously seat of pants impressions.

I still value her comments, as she has put in the hard miles with the original RE Himalayan, in riding it from India to Holland. She bought that bike with her own money.

She has an upbeat attitude, but was critical of the quality of the electrical components of that original RE Himalayan, when it broke down in the middle of nowhere.
REgards

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #97 on: October 13, 2023, 11:46:31 am
She said it had almost twice the power, probably a RE talking point given to her.

She's commenting from the perspective of the previous bikes that she's ridden on her previous seasons. It was just a general comment meaning "ahright! This has more power than my last bike(s)" which, of course, it Does. It's a newer, larger displacement engine. Of course it has more power.

I've followed this lady since day one, haven't missed one single episode & I respect her immensely & her opinions. She will wring this bike out like an old Maytag washing machine on every kind of road there is as she's done with every bike since the beginning.

Royal Enfield will get back way more than they've spent on her. I'll bet a lot of people have already been to a RE dealer just beCAUSE of her first 450 episode. I'll bet quite a few deposits have been put down.

Again I wish her lots of luck.   
« Last Edit: October 13, 2023, 11:52:18 am by tooseevee »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #98 on: October 13, 2023, 03:49:13 pm
What can you learn? Well, from forward views you can see the rapid fork movement & stable handlebar motion over the cobbles whilst sucking up the irregularities, it's not bottoming or throwing her off her line. The rear views show that the seat isn't kicking her in the butt over the same conditions. So plush but not wallowy, good spring and damping rate choices, ar least for "normal" rough road conditions. The engine responds promptly on the uphills, no bogging or straining, no low-speed EFI lunging. Seems well sorted. All this at a good altitude too.

Will it be a heavy handful if you are trying to flog it thru some rough stuff? Probably, but Hunk-a-varnish, KTM & others already sell those machines ($$$). If R.E. can hit the $5500 or so price point they may have a winner. We know it makes good power, we've seen the 452 pushing a windscreen and bolt-upright rider at 80 MPH video already. Will it outsell the 10,000 or so 2nd hand KLR650s already here? Time will tell.

El Saif

• Scooter
Reply #99 on: October 14, 2023, 01:10:21 am
I have a RE motorcycle and a Kawasaki KLR650.

The commentary on the new Himalayan 452 is that it is more powerful, bigger, heavier and more expensive than the original Himalayan. It is also water cooled, like the Kawasaki KLR650.

The new Himalayan 452 has retained the low seat height of the original Himalayan and still benefits from the low Indian labour costs.

The Kawasaki KLR650 now comes with a Kawasaki KLR650S version with a lower seat height and is made in Thailand, to benefit from the low Thai labour costs.

As Royal Enfield moves upmarket, it is producing bikes that go head to head in competition with existing Kawasaki models, viz:

Interceptor/Continental GT versus Kawasaki W800;

RE Super Meteor 650 versus Kawasaki Vulcan 650; and now

RE Himalayan 452 versus Kawasaki KLR650S.
REgards

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #100 on: October 14, 2023, 01:31:27 am
https://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle-reviews/kawasaki-klr650-s-first-ride-review-2023/

Non-ABS $6900, ABS: $7200, 460 pounds wet (6 gallon tank)

Both the 41mm KYB conventional fork and piggyback shock perform with surprising refinement. Suspension action is plush in the initial part of the stroke before progressing into the firm middle part of the stroke with plenty of bottoming resistance; this translates into a planted front end feel. At slow speeds the suspension action is plush, fluid, and smooth. Hit a bump at faster speeds and the suspension absorbs it without drama.

Initially the Kawasaki KLR650 S feels exactly like a KLR650 just with a lower seat height—as expected. Utilizing all the same components and controls, the cockpit of the S model is very familiar, but I can firmly plant both feet on the ground despite my 5-foot-7-inch height and 28-inch inseam. Once the bike is in motion, the suspension changes are instantly noticeable. Unexpectedly, the shortened suspension travel with its S-model-specific valving provides a sporty ride. The stiffer suspension settings are instantly apparent both front and rear. The fork resists dive under braking and the shock stays up in the stroke under hard acceleration.

El Saif

• Scooter
Reply #101 on: October 14, 2023, 01:53:09 am
All the videos that I have seen of the new RE Himalayan 452 show small riders, like the RE test riders and Itchy Boots.

I wonder how ahem, larger riders from the US/Europe/Australia will fare on the new RE Himalayan 452?

Large riders are well catered for in bikes like the Kawasaki KLR650, BMW and KTMs etc.
REgards

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #102 on: October 14, 2023, 11:50:01 am
What can you learn? Well, from forward views you can see the rapid fork movement & stable handlebar motion over the cobbles whilst sucking up the irregularities, it's not bottoming or throwing her off her line. The rear views show that the seat isn't kicking her in the butt over the same conditions. So plush but not wallowy, good spring and damping rate choices, ar least for "normal" rough road conditions. The engine responds promptly on the uphills, no bogging or straining, no low-speed EFI lunging. Seems well sorted. All this at a good altitude too.

Another thing I noticed right away (Yes, I watched it 3 times & not only to see those eyes  :) :) ) was that every forward shot showed the mirrors rock steady. I didn't notice any vibration or blurring whatsoever at any RPM accelerating or slowing down.

Does anyone think those are the new polished metal mirrors? Just curious.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #103 on: October 14, 2023, 02:33:59 pm
@ Reply #101: The gross vehicle weight according to Bikewale is about 400 pounds above "wet-ready-to-ride" weight. I think unless you are approaching 300 pounds the rear damper spring preload settings will accomodate you. The apparently plush front springs may need stiffer rates & suitable fork oil, but the aftermarket seems to keep up with RE needs fairly well. No matter what you buy there is always "fettling room". If you are a "Big 'n Tall" fellow, the standard KLR650 might be the ticket with its greater stand over height. The bike wet weights don't seem to be hugely different, maybe 430 vs. 460.

El Saif

• Scooter
Reply #104 on: October 15, 2023, 02:22:17 am
I weigh 230 lbs and have ridden the 2008 Kawasaki KLR650 and the old RE Himalayan.

With all my riding and camping gear onboard, the load on the bike is > 300 lbs.

Without the camping gear, the old RE Himalayan made only leisurely progress to 65 mph with a constant dak dak sound from the muffler.

The 2008 Kawasaki KLR650 by contrast, made urgent progress to 65 mph with a raspy sound from the muffler.

Comparing wet weights of the two bikes is deceptive. The old RE Himalayan has a 15 litre (4 US gallon) tank and the 2008 Kawasaki KLR650 has a 23 litre (5.8 US gallon) tank.
REgards

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #105 on: October 15, 2023, 04:25:53 pm
Wet weights are the ready-to-ride-somewhere weights. You can always just have a gallon or two of fuel in the machine, but mostly the tanks a above half. Maybe 30-36 pounds of fuel if full.

The adventure bikes with 5-6 gallon fuel tanks carry a lot of weight up high. Not a criticism, just an observation. The Honda Gold Wing had an airbox where the fuel tank was, even on the carby machines. With EFI and pumped pressurized fuel actual tank location now can be more of a pragmatic engineering choice than gravity-feed driven mandate.

On your KLR650, was low-speed operation (parking lot) smooth or a bit lurchy? One general advantage of smaller displacement is that low speed operation benefits from smaller power pulses coming closer together. Does the KLR gearing accommodate walking speed maneuvers or do you need to "plan ahead" a bit?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #106 on: October 15, 2023, 06:29:24 pm
2024 ROYAL ENFIELD HIMALAYAN 452 FIRST RIDE!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIgaGA1r67I

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #107 on: October 16, 2023, 01:00:06 pm
Having owned a KLR, and now riding a Scram, I'll take the RE.
I did like my KLR, but it was my first "adv" type bike so didn't have anything to compare it to. Good tractor-like engine, absurd seat height, brakes on par with my iron barrel Bullet, very top heavy. It was reliable and easy to fix for the most part. But, valve shims and the stupid doohickey spring they STILL haven't fixed on the newest model. The KLR is an antique; a capable one, but with few refinements over the original from the 1980s. It needs 650cc to do what a RE can achieve with less than 500cc.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #108 on: October 18, 2023, 01:21:03 am
Don't understand all the KLR650 references.  That is basically a totally obsolete bike that is rugged and adaptable but not adept at anything. There is no comparison to little adventure bikes the Himalayan or KTM390 etc..
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #109 on: October 18, 2023, 04:33:18 am
The whole point of the KLR650/LC452 analogy is comparing a known good performer against the newcomer. Weights are close. Power is close. Performance is likely similar. The intended market is the same.

The KLR650 a competent, torquey 460ish pound affordable adventure bike with a 6 gallon fuel tank. The newest KLR650 selection even has a "cut down" version to try to accomodate us shorter legged folks. The also likely competent, affordable adventure bike LC452 weighs within 30 pounds of it at about 430, and (apparently) carries almost 5 gallons of fuel. The KTM 390 Adventure weighs about 380 pounds but carries only about 3.8 gallons of fuel, so still affordable but peppier. All three are affordable adventure bikes.

The popular dual purpose DRZ400 Suzuki weighs in at about 320 pounds, carries maybe 2.5 gallons of fuel and boasts about 36 hp, so would run off and leave for dead any of the above on fire road or trail, but for about $1500 - $2500 more.

All of these "adventure bikes" just weigh too much to be hustled at speed against decent dual sport machines. They all will be nicer on the super-slab however, and unlike most dual sports are built to make good pack mules.

The not-yet-released 452 looks like Royal Enfield has made good Adventure Bike choices, maybe better ones for regular sized folks. Neither of these two machines is going to set the world on fire off-road. The upcoming R.E. Dakar 452 team will be learning a lot. Finishing under its own power and in one piece will be a laudable initial goal for the new 452.

https://ridermagazine.com/2022/01/05/2022-kawasaki-klr650-adventure-road-test-review/

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #110 on: October 18, 2023, 05:38:19 am
Good ADV synopsys.

https://www.rideadv.com/ride-adventures-tour-and-rentals-blog/adventure-bikes-for-beginners

What To Look For in a Beginner Adventure Bike
So how do you separate the real adventure machines from those merely carrying the name and/or style? There's more to it than high fenders and hand guards, so here are the specific attributes we look for when evaluating a beginner bike's adventure-friendliness.

Highway Manners
At its core, adventure riding is made of two simple components: Long distance touring and off-road riding.

Because the best adventure bikes for beginners are smaller bikes with smaller displacement engines, long stretches of relatively fast-moving highways can be a challenge.

When evaluating an adventure bike's highway manners, we ask three simple questions:

Can it cruise at 70+ mph without drama?
Are the seat and ergonomics comfortable enough for 100+ mile days?
Is there wind protection?
Small displacement engines are great around town, but they tend to run out of steam at higher speeds. The best adventure bikes for beginners walk a fine line between low-speed grunt and top-end speed, and our favorites hold a good 70mph or so cruising speed without feeling overworked or vibrating the fillings out of your teeth.

In terms of ergonomics, what you're looking for here is a rider triangle (seat, bars, and footpegs) that comfortably fits your frame.

You shouldn't feel overstretched or "wadded up" when sitting in the saddle, and the saddle itself should be comfortable enough to spend a few hours at a time in without giving you rampant monkey butt.

Lastly, look for wind protection. Wind protection is one of the major differences between an adventure bike and a more dirt-focused dual-sport, and makes a huge difference over the course of a long day in terms of neck and shoulder fatigue.

We look for some degree of fairing and/or windshield to check this box, and ideally both should be substantial enough to minimize buffeting at highway speeds.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 05:44:19 am by AzCal Retred »

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #111 on: October 18, 2023, 10:15:39 pm
The KLR is relevant because it will be cross shopped with the Himmy variants, so is a competitor.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #112 on: October 19, 2023, 07:53:38 am
The KLR is relevant because it will be cross shopped with the Himmy variants, so is a competitor.
Really?  Sales of the KLR are tiny, its a throw back to the 80s, much heavier and 50% more expensive than the current Himalayan and weighs a ton
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #113 on: October 19, 2023, 12:42:51 pm
Really. It is a very common cross-shop on the ADV forum I frequent.
The KLR has quite a reputation, mostly positive. In it's category it is kind of the bike to beat, even if it is archaic.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #114 on: October 19, 2023, 12:59:05 pm
since part of the reason we buy royal enfields is because we like "retro bikes", archaic might be a virtue in a KLR.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #115 on: October 19, 2023, 06:16:34 pm
This fellow prefers the DR650 and does a nice job explaining why.
https://www.motorcyclecamping.com/guides/dr650-vs-klr650-comparison/#:~:text=DR650%20vs%20KLR650,a%20KLR%2C%20or%20all%20three.

Here are specs from Web Bike World for the 2023 DR650. The new price is claimed to be right at $7K. Wet weight is said to be about 370 pounds, which makes it lighter than the new LC452 by about 60 pounds. As I pointed out before, weight is not your friend offroad. Even with the suggested aftermarket 5 gallon "big tank" bolted on to your new-to-you DR650 and brimming full the DR650 would still be 30 pounds lighter.
https://www.webbikeworld.com/2023-suzuki-dr650s/

Heavy is heavy. Adventure bikes aren't intended to be able to duke it out with the real dual sport machines. A heavier, skinnier bike with plush suspension, a windscreen and big tank stock will work great for the average guy that just wants to add gas 'n go. Being able to casually slam over a 6" deep pothole or un-noticed speedbump at 50 MPH is a real plus when you are out there looking at scenery.

Is a DR650 better off road? Undoubtedly, but it's lighter and has dialed in dirt geometry & suspension. But you'll need to add that big tank & windscreen for those 100 mile gravel road/goat trail sections interspersed with 200 miles of superslab. You still won't have storage for your "stuff" for multi-day trips. And all those accoutrements add weight and detract from off-road ability.

And most importantly, these affordable adventure bikes come with most of the "necessities" already on them. The very affordable CSC RX3 & RX4 machines rather double down on that. But...KTM & Husqvarna & others sell actual cross country "ultralight" and powerful street legal machines for about 2x to 3x the price. For the average guy with our average skill sets & wallets, we don't really need that, we just want to toss in some "necessities" and go ride. The KLR650 and the new LC452 will let us do that and still make rent.

If you want to go very fast offroad, get a real sub-250 pound, 40 HP dirt bike. If you want to be a weekend dirt warrior, maybe a big dual sport is the ticket. If you want to put on some multi-day highway miles interspersed with a few gravel roads, likely the current crop of affordable adventure bikes will assuage that urge.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #116 on: October 19, 2023, 07:53:02 pm
since part of the reason we buy royal enfields is because we like "retro bikes", archaic might be a virtue in a KLR.
Perhaps and the current Himalayan is bit on that spectrum too but the twins are thoroughly modern machines with a new engine design and modern chassis dynamics masquerading as old.
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #117 on: October 19, 2023, 09:27:18 pm
i'm obviously confused. what twins?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #118 on: October 19, 2023, 11:07:17 pm
Maybe quintuplets? Surely there's twins lurking in there somewhere... ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 11:10:53 pm by AzCal Retred »

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #119 on: October 20, 2023, 12:23:11 am
i'm obviously confused. what twins?
The 650 twins
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

El Saif

• Scooter
Reply #120 on: October 22, 2023, 01:29:24 pm
I have a RE Thunderbird 350cc KS only bike plus a Kawasaki KLR650. My Kawasaki KLR650 is now 16 years old and my RE Thunderbird is now 20 years old.

My brother and I rode coast to coast across Australia (a 2,500 mile trip). I chose the Kawasaki KLR650 for the trip, after having owned a Kawasaki KLX650. I disliked the Kawasaki KLX650 for being too dirt oriented - small tank, gaudy colours, sticky clutch and a tiny battery. My brother chose the Suzuki DR650 for the trip, as he disliked the Kawasaki KLR650 for being too road oriented - too heavy and too large.

A possible replacement for my Kawasaki KLR650 is the RE Himalayan. I did a test ride of the RE 411 Himalayan. It reached 65 mph without any urgency accompanied by a constant dak dak sound from the muffler. The rider's seat was lower than the Kawasaki KLR650, but the rider is locked into the seat. The switch gear of the RE 411 Himalayan seemed identical to the 2019 RE Interceptor.

Itchy Boot's video of a pre-production RE 452 Himalayan showed a bike that accelerated with urgency, without a  constant dak dak sound from the muffler.

It has been reported that a RE test rider thinks that the new RE 452 Himalayan will be sold alongside the old RE 411  Himalayan.

I will probably wait until my Kawasaki KLR650 blows up or gets stolen, before buying a replacement like the new Kawasaki KLR650 or the new RE 452 Himalayan.
REgards

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #121 on: October 22, 2023, 04:39:49 pm
El Saif - did you have an opportunity to ride the KLR650 & DR650 back to back on your trip? What were your thoughts?

The LC452 seems to be a bit lower and lighter than the KLR650 with a bit more power. It might be the perfect set of adventure bike compromises. The test rides & reports will be fascinating, maybe after EICMA? Itchy Boots has some You-Tube vid with her riding the new machine. It looks promising.

El Saif

• Scooter
Reply #122 on: October 22, 2023, 11:28:24 pm
RE tends to introduce new bikes at EICMA, so showing off the RE 452 Himalayan at the next EICMA is likely.

The old RE 411 Himalayan has been a good seller in India, so an Indian launch of the new RE 452 Himalayan is also likely.

The Indian market is price sensitive, so selling the new RE 452 Himalayan alongside the old and cheaper RE 411 Himalayan is possible, at least on the Indian market.

I rode my brother's Suzuki DR650 and did not like it. The rider sits a lot closer to the handlebars. The seat of the Suzuki DR650 is like a wooden plank. The seat height of the Suzuki DR650 seemed higher than my Kawasaki KLR650. I did like the engine of the Suzuki DR650. It is lighter than the engine of the Kawasaki KLR650 and more fuel efficient. My brother had to modify his Suzuki DR650, by using an aftermarket 15 litre fuel tank, an aftermarket luggage rack and a Air Hawk seat pad for that coast to coast trip.

Years ago, when Suzuki and Kawasaki were suffering from competition from Honda and Yamaha, there was a model sharing arrangement between Suzuki and Kawasaki. A missed opportunity would have been a Kawasaki KLR650 using a Suzuki DR650 engine.

The engine of the Suzuki DR650 cannot pass the latest emission rules, as it is air cooled and uses a carburetor. Both Kawasaki and RE had to use EFI to pass the latest emission rules.

To sell bikes in the Australian, UK and European markets, bikes also need ABS on both wheels.

The Suzuki DR650 has neither EFI or ABS.
REgards

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #124 on: October 28, 2023, 08:12:28 pm
spray paint is cheap. get several colors.

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #125 on: October 28, 2023, 09:22:59 pm
spray paint is cheap. get several colors.

With enough dirt, color no longer matters.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #126 on: October 28, 2023, 11:10:48 pm
Jouse guys obviously don't have your minds quite "raht"; :o ;D ;D ;D  Appearance Uber Alles...

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #127 on: October 28, 2023, 11:56:57 pm
when i went to the shop to buy my himalayan, i had in mind to get the pine green. but when i got there all they had in my price range was one black and the other grey. so i picked the one with lower mileage, and said to myself "i can always repaint it"
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 12:01:43 am by him a layin »

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #128 on: October 29, 2023, 12:04:24 am
when i went to the shop to buy my himalayan, i had in mind to get the pine green. but when i got there all they had in my price range was one black and the other grey. so i picked the one with lower mileage, and said to myself "i can always repaint it"

Pine green was almost a deal breaker for me, but it's starting to grow on me now.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #129 on: October 29, 2023, 12:37:23 am
Pine green was almost a deal breaker for me, but it's starting to grow on me now.
nothing wrong with green.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #130 on: October 29, 2023, 12:49:51 am
That's a hella picture, moss and litchen? If anything ever deserved to be made into a jigsaw puzzle for Xmas, that's it. Close to your house? Fall or Spring? Nice composition.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 12:52:00 am by AzCal Retred »

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #131 on: October 29, 2023, 01:30:53 am
Could use the material in that picture to make a ghillie suit for the Himalayan. Then it would be green.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #132 on: October 29, 2023, 01:18:52 am
today i went to a friends house near statesville NC to shoot rifles and pistols and these were on a shady hillside up above the target stands. i've found that the way to take the occasional good picture is to take a lot of pictures and discard about 2/3rds of them. i have a pentax k20d dslr, but this was the apple 12mini smartphone. was hesitant to post it because off-topic.

got the venus flytrap 2 weeks ago, closer to the coast
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 01:27:11 am by him a layin »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #133 on: October 30, 2023, 03:51:03 pm
New Pre-release (Nov. 7th) videos...

THE ALL-NEW ROYAL ENFIELD HIMALAYAN - THE FINAL TEST. #BuiltByTheHimalayas (12 min.)
#RoyalEnfieldHimalayanhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keVoECYNGg4

EXCLUSIVE: First Look At The Royal Enfield Himalayan 452 | Launch On 7th November (1 min.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbiFoQ1ibP8

excollier

• Scooter
Reply #134 on: October 30, 2023, 07:01:14 pm
after riding nothing but pure roadbikes since 1979, now I find my self riding a Himalayan and seeking out slow dirt trails instead of fast tarmac....way more fun

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #135 on: October 31, 2023, 03:21:33 am
Itchy Boots 452 Himalayan Vids to date:

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKibLgw6JJ4  [Oct 11, 2023]
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 (PRE-PRODUCTION BIKE): can’t believe I’m riding it in India

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvZlTzCNi6w  [Oct 15, 2023]
Only Indians allowed here (Pakistan Border)

3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo8_Jb2XMvE [Oct 18, 2023]
The Himalayan Lake that is split between INDIA and CHINA

4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RyKRpkNj04 [Oct 22, 2023]
Getting MARRIED in Ladakh, India

5) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDyThbPQkK0 [Oct 25, 2023]
A Frozen River to GET OUT of Zanskar Valley?

6) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLFt4nxkOJo [Oct 29, 2023]
Riding to KASHMIR with a MILITARY CONVOY

Tukemeister

• Scooter
Reply #136 on: October 31, 2023, 12:09:38 pm
Does anyone know what the seat height of the 450 Himalayan is going to be.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #137 on: October 31, 2023, 04:16:36 pm
Not yet, the only important specs so far are HP & guesstimated weight. It does look to be in the 32" neighborhood, so 2"-4" less than many other ADV's. Itchy Boots doesn't seem to have issues with it. EICMA will soon reveal all...

About EICMA 2023
Tue, Nov 7, 2023 – Sun, Nov 12, 2023
The trade show will take place at Fiera Milano - through from 7 to 12 November 2023.
https://www.eicma.it/en/visit/general-info/

https://www.cycleworld.com/eicma/
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 04:31:05 pm by AzCal Retred »

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #138 on: November 01, 2023, 11:20:48 pm
Does anyone know what the seat height of the 450 Himalayan is going to be.

Here you go.
See attached screenshot taken from this bloke’s video at the three minute mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6eFEUXGDgE

It’s not in English but the info we’ve been waiting for is mostly there.

Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

El Saif

• Scooter
Reply #139 on: November 01, 2023, 11:56:43 pm
Thanks for the link to the brochure.

Claimed specs are:

Dry weight 181 kg (398 lbs)

Kerb weight - 90% fuel + oil = 196 kgs (431 lbs)

Fuel tank - 17 litres

ABS - swirchable dual circuit

Compression ratio - 11.8 : 1

Power - 40.02 PS (29.44 Kw)

Gearbox - 6 speed

Seat heighr - 825 mm (32.5")
REgards

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #140 on: November 02, 2023, 12:37:23 am
Spicyred - Nice Find! I wonder exactly how one would happen to come across a factory LC452 pamphlet?   :o 8)

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #141 on: November 02, 2023, 01:32:04 am
Spicyred - Nice Find! I wonder exactly how one would happen to come across a factory LC452 pamphlet?   :o 8)

Very good question and a bit of fun hypothesising:

1. A deliberate link to keep the faithful interested - waiting til the 7 th Nov official detail release date could lose a sale or two to Triumph 400 or others - unlikely

2. An employee of RE or their publishing contractor or even a courier - who thinks they will not get caught, or wants a summary dismissal.

3. A complete fake - looks too polished for that, but never say “never”

Could this be the basis of an intriguing Alistair MacLean~Ian Fleming style mystery thriller?

Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

excollier

• Scooter
Reply #142 on: November 02, 2023, 06:45:53 pm
after riding nothing but pure roadbikes since 1979, now I find my self riding a Himalayan and seeking out slow dirt trails instead of fast tarmac....way more fun

excollier

• Scooter

excollier

• Scooter
Reply #144 on: November 02, 2023, 06:49:04 pm
not in English, but interesting - skip to 6mins 58 seconds for different specs coming......"Adventure" and "Rally"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_RVrl7AtxQ
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 07:36:56 pm by excollier »

thatonedad

• Bulleteer
Reply #145 on: November 03, 2023, 12:13:12 am
I spoke to my dealer and thoughts are a month after international launch on the 7th they should be at dealers in the states(maybe not for sale yet but they got the super meteors in a month after launch) I believe the dealer I purchased my interceptor from is a larger volume dealer in New England.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #146 on: November 03, 2023, 02:01:51 am
if the 452 is a complete re-design, is it still proper to call it a himalayan? i doubt both can coexist in the "new bike" marketplace. has RE said anything about their plans for the 411?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #147 on: November 03, 2023, 06:47:36 am
Ford Mustang? Thunderbird? Chevy Impala? When you are flogging a name, why be squeamish about hardware specifics?

Maybe it'll become a "prefix" like XT, XR, XL, etc.; Himalayan 411, Himalayan 452, maybe even someday Himalayan 250? Stuff the lovely J-350 engine in there and call it the Himalayan 350?

"Irregardless"(;D) of the name, it's looking like the LC452 is lighter, better suspended and about double the HP of the AC411; that's a great start. A 7/8ths scale, 130% HP KLR for us normal size folks. If the LC452 comes in at +$6K and the AC411 "paid-off R&D time and assembly line" variants end up at $4.5K-$5K new, not a bad trade off. An affordable trail machine and a pricier but still affordable and much more "Real Deal" adventure bike.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #148 on: November 03, 2023, 07:55:35 am
When you are flogging a name, why be squeamish about hardware specifics?
makes sense. i guess.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #149 on: November 03, 2023, 02:54:24 pm
Dress up tyme! ;D ;D ;D

https://www.bikewale.com/news/royal-enfield-himalayan-452-rally-edition-accessories-revealed/?utm_source=BWSubscription&utm_medium=BrowserNotification&utm_campaign=BikewaleWebNotification&utm_term=164041

- Gets a host of off-road friendly parts

- Can be purchased online post-launch

Royal Enfield always goes big when it comes to accessorizing its motorcycles. It launched a different vertical for Genuine Motorcycle Accessories, and through this, it sells some practical accessories. To make the new Himalayan 452 rally-ready, the brand has introduced a range of accessories.

The Rally Himalayan 452 gets a rally seat and also the rally back panels. These parts can be purchased when booking the bike through its MIY program. There’s also a provision to equip them with a rally handlebar, knuckle guards, rally seat and a headlight grill. The Chennai-based company will also sell the sump guard and radiator cover. Both of these parts are claimed to be made of top-class components. There’s also an Arrow exhaust. However, it won’t be sold in India but will be available in the European market.

Currently, there are no pricing details for these accessories, but expect it to be marginally higher than their usual parts as this is a brand-new platform, and Royal Enfield wants to make sure to give high-quality parts. These accessories will go on sale after the prices are announced later this month. However, the deliveries are expected to commence in early January.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 02:58:33 pm by AzCal Retred »

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #150 on: November 03, 2023, 05:03:34 pm
Its the price of the 452 I would like to know in British pounds.
One site guessed  it coming in at £4800. I doubt it would be as cheap as that. I would guess it at the £5500 mark.
Freedom.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #151 on: November 03, 2023, 09:39:18 pm
I'm betting it'll be about the same price as the cheapest Interceptor. The 411 flock will likely be 15%-20% under them - 411 assembly line is established, tooling is paid for. The first 6 months or so of LC452 sales will be to the "me firsters". By midyear 2024 we'll likely see the real "everyman" price.

excollier

• Scooter
Reply #152 on: November 03, 2023, 09:49:28 pm

NJ-Brett

• Bulleteer
Reply #153 on: November 04, 2023, 12:20:52 am
Unlike the other bikes, the 452 does not look user friendly to service.
The valve adjustment/check looks like it might be a pain in the butt.
The price for performance?

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #154 on: November 04, 2023, 01:56:47 am
Yup. It takes good dose of modern engine tech to allow an affordable 450cc (or 400cc or 390cc...) engine to squirt out 40 HP on demand and still start & idle easily. The spunky Gold Stars of yesteryear took a well-trained owner at the controls.

The good news is that individual valves of a four valve engine are lighter than those of a two valve, so inertial loading and wear are lower. This generally equates to longer time between adjustment. It also raises the usable operating RPM ceiling limit. The LC450 is we believe an oversquare design which dovetails with the higher (for RE) 9,000 RPM redline. This yields a broader operating envelope in each gear, so more overlap in power range in each gear. That is a very nice thing on a long uphill or pushing into a headwind.

Adjusting DOHC valve trains requires what it requires. If it's only needed every 20K-60K miles, likely makes sense to leave it to the shop. 30K miles gets you around the Earth on back roads or maybe 5 years of riding for the average guy. A DIY guy will undoubtedly get a shim tool and micrometer and just do it himself "just because". It's only a single.

It's looking like R.E. has done a nice job, especially for the price point.

thatonedad

• Bulleteer
Reply #155 on: November 04, 2023, 02:59:01 am
Yup. It takes good dose of modern engine tech to allow an affordable 450cc (or 400cc or 390cc...) engine to squirt out 40 HP on demand and still start & idle easily. The spunky Gold Stars of yesteryear took a well-trained owner at the controls.

The good news is that individual valves of a four valve engine are lighter than those of a two valve, so inertial loading and wear are lower. This generally equates to longer time between adjustment. It also raises the usable operating RPM ceiling limit. The LC450 is we believe an oversquare design which dovetails with the higher (for RE) 9,000 RPM redline. This yields a broader operating envelope in each gear, so more overlap in power range in each gear. That is a very nice thing on a long uphill or pushing into a headwind.

Adjusting DOHC valve trains requires what it requires. If it's only needed every 20K-60K miles, likely makes sense to leave it to the shop. 30K miles gets you around the Earth on back roads or maybe 5 years of riding for the average guy. A DIY guy will undoubtedly get a shim tool and micrometer and just do it himself "just because". It's only a single.

It's looking like R.E. has done a nice job, especially for the price point.
shim under bucket is a PIA whether it's a single or a 4, my Kawasakis was a weekend affair and after doing it a few times I honestly just said screw it and let it ride

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #156 on: November 04, 2023, 04:45:48 pm
In olden times when Yamaha cranked out it's 5-valve Genesis engine (3I,2E) the shop techs were gobsmacked at the 30K adjustment intervals for those tiny bits. One is way less than four...another advantage of the "single" life. ;D

https://global.yamaha-motor.com/stories/history/stories/0022.html

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #157 on: November 05, 2023, 03:28:55 pm

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #159 on: November 05, 2023, 04:07:48 pm
ACR: "The 411 flock will likely be 15%-20% under them"

https://gaadiwaadi.com/royal-enfield-to-soon-discontinue-himalayan-411-in-india/
The Chennai-based manufacturer won’t discontinue the Scram 411 in India and is priced between Rs. 2.06 lakh and Rs. 2.12 lakh (ex-showroom). The Himalayan 411 costs Rs. 2.16-2.28 lakh (ex-showroom). The upcoming RE Himalayan 450 will likely carry a price tag of around Rs. 2.75 lakh (ex-showroom) as it is more feature-packed and boasts more premium equipment.
275/210 = 1.30; 275/222 = 1.24    8)
At 20% less I'd be surprised if the 411 Himi didn't hang on, at least until the LC452 price drops 10% after the "rush" is over.
If RE really does scratch the 411 Himalayan completely off the dog, present Himi owners now are now in possession of a "collectable"!
  ;D

« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 04:10:54 pm by AzCal Retred »

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #160 on: November 05, 2023, 04:29:22 pm
ACR: "The 411 flock will likely be 15%-20% under them"

https://gaadiwaadi.com/royal-enfield-to-soon-discontinue-himalayan-411-in-india/
The Chennai-based manufacturer won’t discontinue the Scram 411 in India and is priced between Rs. 2.06 lakh and Rs. 2.12 lakh (ex-showroom). The Himalayan 411 costs Rs. 2.16-2.28 lakh (ex-showroom). The upcoming RE Himalayan 450 will likely carry a price tag of around Rs. 2.75 lakh (ex-showroom) as it is more feature-packed and boasts more premium equipment.
275/210 = 1.30; 275/222 = 1.24    8)
At 20% less I'd be surprised if the 411 Himi didn't hang on, at least until the LC452 price drops 10% after the "rush" is over.
If RE really does scratch the 411 Himalayan completely off the dog, present Himi owners now are now in possession of a "collectable"!
  ;D

I doubt most of us will live long enough to see a return on that investment ;-)

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #161 on: November 06, 2023, 09:55:58 pm
shim under bucket is a PIA whether it's a single or a 4, my Kawasakis was a weekend affair and after doing it a few times I honestly just said screw it and let it ride

They also need very infrequent adjustments
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #162 on: November 06, 2023, 09:56:47 pm
The 411 will be gone.

Was interested in the 452 but 200kg weight is way too much.
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #163 on: November 07, 2023, 12:18:15 am

Yup - the DRZ400S at $7100, 33HP, about 11" of travel both ends and 320 or so dry is hard to beat if you are actually taking it on a gnarly trail.  The +36" seat height is just the cost of doing business in the boonies.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/2023-suzuki-dr-z400s/

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #164 on: November 07, 2023, 07:43:23 am
The 411 will be gone.

At 40hp.  Its only 8 less than the Interceptor..
Freedom.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #165 on: November 07, 2023, 05:59:01 pm
And about 50 pounds lighter by all accounts. The "Scram" version of the LC452 should be interesting - a poor man's torquey, more relaxed Svartpilen? Might cut into 650 sales a bit. It'll have the Himalayan group of bolt-on bags & hard luggage available too.

Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 2023; MSRP: $ 5649 plus $ 575 freight (about $6500 - $7000 OTD?) 6 speeds, 43 HP & 360 pounds...

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #166 on: November 07, 2023, 06:39:21 pm
briefly had a husq lawn mower. finicky beast, never again.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #167 on: November 07, 2023, 07:34:01 pm
At 40hp.  Its only 8 less than the Interceptor..
I was talking about the weight, not the power or the power to weight ratio.  You know, how heavy it’s going to be to pick it up when you fall over off road
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #168 on: November 09, 2023, 10:05:29 pm
 I don’t frequent the Himalayan forum much, pretty much live on the 650 twin forum, but I am pretty stoked about the 450(452? Not sure hear both).
 Royal Enfield has done a remarkable job with this bike.
  Style and features are spot on. My GT may get a garage buddy once it comes to the US.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #169 on: November 10, 2023, 02:03:47 am
Looks like the CF Moto 450MT will give the new Himalayan a real run for it's money.

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/cfmoto-450mt-adventure-bike-announced/

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #170 on: November 10, 2023, 02:45:00 am
Looks like the CF Moto 450MT will give the new Himalayan a real run for it's money.

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/cfmoto-450mt-adventure-bike-announced/
Yep fantastic looking, lighter than the Enfield even though its a much more segment relevant twin
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #171 on: November 10, 2023, 02:59:41 am
Yep fantastic looking, lighter than the Enfield even though its a much more segment relevant twin

Will have to see where the price comes in at compared to the 452. Have to admit I like that 270 degree twin.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #172 on: November 10, 2023, 11:20:12 pm
@ 167: "You know, how heavy it’s going to be to pick it up when you fall over off road"  ;D ;D ;D

The CF Moto 450 is said to weigh 385 dry. With a near 5 gallon tank that's about 420 all up. Not a bad number coupled with +43 HP. We'll see what Rider thinks when they finally get to do a shoot out.

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #173 on: November 11, 2023, 12:43:03 am
@ 167: "You know, how heavy it’s going to be to pick it up when you fall over off road"  ;D ;D ;D

The CF Moto 450 is said to weigh 385 dry. With a near 5 gallon tank that's about 420 all up. Not a bad number coupled with +43 HP. We'll see what Rider thinks when they finally get to do a shoot out.

I would say the Himalayan is a better looking bike, but with that new gas tank, I thinks it's a wash.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #174 on: November 11, 2023, 06:28:15 pm
Yammie Noobs review on the bike launch is showing up some bad fuelling and stalling issues present on the new Himalayan. Rest of the bike gets a thumbs up but this definitely should not be happening on a modern bike.
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #175 on: November 11, 2023, 09:12:13 pm
Itchy Boots had no such issues. Maybe the EICMA bike got some dirty/water contaminated fuel. RE's not going to peddle hard-starting new bikes, there's way too much at stake for them.

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #176 on: November 11, 2023, 10:37:01 pm
Itchy Boots had no such issues. Maybe the EICMA bike got some dirty/water contaminated fuel. RE's not going to peddle hard-starting new bikes, there's way too much at stake for them.
[/b]

Seems to be lots of reports of the 411s having hard to start and stalling issues. Doesn't surprise me that the 450 would have similar problems. Trying to meet Euro 5 standards apparently is not easy for some manufacturers.

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #177 on: November 11, 2023, 10:48:03 pm
Yammie Noobs review on the bike launch is showing up some bad fuelling and stalling issues present on the new Himalayan. Rest of the bike gets a thumbs up but this definitely should not be happening on a modern bike.

A direct result of the increasingly difficult to meet emissions standards, no doubt. I am not a fan of Yammie Noob, but he doesn't have any skin in the game and has a reputation as a reviewer to maintain. Frankly, I would trust his findings over Noraly's, who while being an accomplished and experienced rider, is not a professional reviewer and has no reason to bite the hand that's feeding her. Just my opinion. 

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #178 on: November 11, 2023, 11:16:04 pm
The 411 was a first effort; now it's relegated to low-budget line-up filler. Do the 650's or J-bikes have cold start issues? There has been a lot of water under the bridge since the first UCE got EFI. This is also a single point source of information. Let's wait & see if this happens to other test bikes besides the EICMA test bike. There's plenty of time to panic.

The LC452 is a flagship effort, it'll get sorted out before they release to dealers. My money is on probable crud in the fuel tank or acquired from gas cans at EICMA. Maybe Husqvarna or KTM supplied the fuel cans... :o ;D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 11:23:14 pm by AzCal Retred »

ReddingRider

• Bulleteer
Reply #179 on: November 11, 2023, 11:26:23 pm

Yammie was on pre-production models in those videos.
2016 F700GS
2021 INTerceptor 650

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #180 on: November 11, 2023, 11:28:58 pm
The 411 was a first effort; now it's relegated to low-budget line-up filler. Do the 650's or J-bikes have cold start issues? There has been a lot of water under the bridge since the first UCE got EFI. This is also a single point source of information. Let's wait & see if this happens to other test bikes besides the EICMA test bike. There's plenty of time to panic.

The LC452 is a flagship effort, it'll get sorted out before they release to dealers. My money is on probable crud in the fuel tank or acquired from gas cans at EICMA. Maybe Husqvarna or KTM supplied the fuel cans... :o ;D

Hope you're right, and you probably are. Wish nothing but good things for RE. Of course, the Euro 5 Interceptors and GTs do have a very lean idle and problems have been reported with wandering rpms at idle and stalling when coming to a stop on these bikes as well. Just saying it's getting difficult to run these bikes as clean as has become necessary.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #181 on: November 12, 2023, 02:15:51 am
I remain quite interested in the new Himi but think the looks are a bit ordinary.  To be honest much more excited about this which seems to best the RE in every way.

2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #182 on: November 12, 2023, 09:51:31 am
I remain quite interested in the new Himi but think the looks are a bit ordinary.  To be honest much more excited about this which seems to best the RE in every way.
Obviously pricing will play a big part on who goes for what.No official prices yet.
Freedom.

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #183 on: November 12, 2023, 07:52:35 pm
Obviously pricing will play a big part on who goes for what.No official prices yet.
True but obviously it's going to be a lot more expensive than the current one bringing into starker competition where any deficiencies are not so readily forgiven.
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #184 on: November 21, 2023, 12:49:47 am
Nice review and summary, good pics too.

2024 Royal Enfield Himalayan 452 First Ride Review
India’s popular ADV gets a modern makeover and new levels of performance; 11.14.2023

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/royal-enfield-himalayan-452-review/

"...there is a low seat option that gets the low and high saddle heights down to 31.7 inches and 32.5 inches respectively."

Key Upgrades
Powerplant: 452cc, DOHC, 4-valve, single-cylinder ‘Sherpa’ engine boosts power from 24 HP to 39.5 HP and torque from 23.6 ft-lbs to 29.5 ft-lbs. The transmission also now has 6 gears instead of 5.
Frame/Swingarm: New twin spar steel frame is stiffer and uses the engine as a stressed member. Also narrower in the center for improved stand up ergos. Swing arm has been beefed up for improved stability.
Chassis: New Himalayan is 7 pounds lighter and has also been redesigned with a lower center of gravity.
Wheels: Wider wheels with new cross-spoke tubeless option available in up-spec variants.

" Jumping on the Himalayan for the first time was quite a difference from the old model. My first reaction was ‘wow this thing has Power!’. It feels like it revs to the moon compared to the old long-stroke, slow revving 411 engine. But with that new power also comes new vibrations. We rode throughout the two days with rubber covers installed on the footpegs and at higher revs there was a significant amount of vibration coming through the pegs, and a moderate amount through the bars. The vibes weren’t noticed in the lower RPMs though and luckily the bike doesn’t need to live in the upper revs to make decent power like it did in the past.

Another thing I quickly noticed is the bike feels a lot more solid. With its stiffened frame, beefier fork, axels and swingarm, along with a wider rear tire, it’s a much more stable platform. The handling felt precise and, dare I say, sporty. The old Himalayan felt a bit lazy and flexed a lot when pushed. It had that ‘old bike’ feel even though it was launched in 2017.

Something that hasn’t changed much is the ergonomics when sitting. Handlebars feel comfortably placed and your knees fit easily inside the tank cutouts, without rubbing against the upper crash bars, even at my height, 6 foot 2 inches. I did notice with the seat in the low position that my legs felt slightly cramped but that was alleviated with a quick change to the High seat position. The seat also felt comfortable, like the old Himalayan, but now there’s more leg room and less of a knee bend for taller riders.

Previously, the bike had flexy forks and soft suspension that gave it a vague feeling in the turns. As a lighter-weight bike the old Himalayan had some built-in agility and you could ride it fast once it got up to speed but it did so like a reluctant mule. The new suspension now feels firm and well damped, soaking up bumps without any wallow. This new-found stability and control makes the new model much more fun to ride fast.

The 450’s improved power delivery also made it more enjoyable to ride. It’s not enough power to need traction control or to get the rear wheel spinning, but enough to pull the front wheel off the ground in first gear. Which is impressive considering we were riding at high elevation. The transmission shifts smoothly too as you bang through the gears exploring the upper revs. That 40 horsepower proved to be plenty for quick passing maneuvers and we had more acceleration than most everyone else on the road.

While there was no place to test any highway cruising, there were a few long straights where we could open up the throttle. With the new Himalayan’s noticeably longer gearing, we rarely ever needed to throw it into the new 6th gear. When we did, the revs dropped significantly, as well as any vibes. Vibes were primarily noticeable during acceleration. Considering the increase in vibes, it’s surprising the Royal Enfield decided to go with what looks like smaller bar-end weights. We’ll have to do more testing in the States on major interstate highways to see if the vibration is a problem but it feels like the bike will cruise comfortably at 65-70 mph like the old Himalayan. Although, with power on tap to make a pass or handle steep grades with a head wind.

One significant upgrade though is the use of 1-1/8″ aluminum fat bars compared to the old 7/8″ steel bars that would easily bend on the first drop.

The foot pegs are a decent size to stand on and appear similar in shape and design to the old serrated pegs. There’s a big difference though when standing on the pegs in terms of leg room. Previously, the passenger peg mounts would bow your calves out a bit. Now they’ve repositioned everything and made the bike skinnier in the middle so you can stand straight over the pegs.

The tank is also skinnier at the seat junction, making it easier to grip it with your knees while standing or sitting. It’s shorter front to back as well, so it’s easier to slide up in the saddle and get your head over the bars during aggressive off-road riding.

That same lightweight feel and nimble handling noticed on the street carries over to dirt and the new Himalayan feels almost enduro like once off-road. With the old model if you tried riding it fast in rough terrain, the chassis felt flexy and imprecise. Now it goes where you point it and doesn’t get knocked off line easily. 

On day two, we ventured into more technical terrain that allowed us to better explore the bump absorption capabilities. Over smaller rocks, the suspension feels fairly plush with good damping control — much less bouncy than the old Himalayan. There’s still no damping adjustment for the fork or shock, just preload in the rear which I cranked up for my 215-pound frame. The standard damping settings for compression and rebound felt spot on though for this environment. And the big 21″ front wheel helped the bike stay composed while rolling over big rocks.

I did my best to find big ruts, dips and even jumps during the test in an attempt to bottom out the bike, but to no avail. The new suspension is much stiffer than before in the last part of the stroke and resists bottoming a whole lot better. The higher ground clearance means the skid plate is less likely to touch and the rear linkage is now tucked in tighter to keep it out of harm’s way.

As for the new 452 engine, acceleration is peppy but not enough to break loose the tire easily in the dirt. It’s a very tractable motor and now has enough juice to get up steep hills without abusing the clutch — a common issue with the previous model. In Performance mode, the rev up is faster than the old 411 long-stroke engine. But that old lazy power feel can be revived by simply switching it into Eco mode, which is actually useful off-road to avoid slippage in loose terrain. Since there’s no traction control, you’re always getting power to the rear wheel to help maintain forward momentum. It’s just smoothed out to encourage traction. I highly recommend it for novice off-road riders.
The ‘always on’ front ABS works fine in most situations but it’s not the most advanced system and I did have a few pucker moments on rocky descents that had me wishing I could turn ABS off completely. Luckily, you can still pull the ABS fuse if you prefer to ride without it off-road.

The bikes do seem to take a fall pretty well though. On a stretch of dirt where a stream crossed the trail, the rider in front of me suddenly went down without warning and I immediately realized there must be ice ahead. But before I could react, my bike slid out 180 degrees and hit the ground with a light thunk. No visible damage could be seen other than a few light scratches and a loosened mirror. From what I can tell, these bikes seem engineered to take a fall well.

The 2024 Royal Enfield Himalayan is undeniably a significant step forward in the evolution of the model. More power, precise handling, and enhanced on and off-road capabilities make it a better motorcycle in every way. However, it’s essential to acknowledge the shift in character from the old Himalayan.
For a lot of riders, the old Himalayan was a refreshing, back-to-basics machine. Despite its lack of power, the air-cooled powerplant had its charm and was a simpler bike to maintain with fewer electronics to go wrong. It also had a look that could easily be mistaken for a bike that came from the 80s or earlier. The new Himalayan looks more like a neo-retro version of itself, which is kind of strange considering it was first introduced a few years ago.
The difference in what you experience while riding is night and day as well. With the old Himalayan, there wasn’t much performance on tap so you got settled into a slower pace and focused more on your surroundings, smelled the flowers so to speak. Now with more power and an improved chassis, the Himalayan invites you to ‘explore the limit’ and ride at a faster pace, putting your focus more towards what’s directly in front of you.

Price remains a crucial factor and the new Himalayan is expected to enter the market at a higher cost than its predecessor. Royal Enfield Head Siddhartha Lal assured us at the launch that the price increase would be smaller than we might expect. We’ll get a better idea of the increase when the bike is released in India later this month. "

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #185 on: November 21, 2023, 04:05:49 pm
I like the looks,the specs.Will definetly get a test ride with a view to buying.
Reminds me of the Honda transalp on looks.
Freedom.

bthtony55?

• Scooter
Reply #186 on: November 22, 2023, 04:17:38 pm
I spoke to one of the guys yesterday on the RE stand at the NEC. He hinted when current stocks of the 411 have been sold they will not be re stocking. Its all about getting the thing past Euro 5.

The new 450 looks very well built and already can be upgraded to Euro 6 when needed.
Its just price now. I guess about £5200 to be  competitive with the opposition, I could be wrong

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #187 on: November 24, 2023, 01:57:17 am
I spoke to one of the guys yesterday on the RE stand at the NEC. He hinted when current stocks of the 411 have been sold they will not be re stocking. Its all about getting the thing past Euro 5.

The new 450 looks very well built and already can be upgraded to Euro 6 when needed.
Its just price now. I guess about £5200 to be  competitive with the opposition, I could be wrong
The current Himalayan is already Euro5, the model though is 7 years old the Scram was a line extension to help run some of the volume out.  It will be discontinued because the 450 will be superior in every way apart from the price (and maybe very low end torque).  I doubt it will be anywhere near 5200, more like 6k plus
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #188 on: November 24, 2023, 09:09:51 pm
Oh looks like I was right see the uk price thread. You really need to buy the tubeless tire options which are ~£6,300
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #189 on: November 25, 2023, 10:10:38 am
Oh looks like I was right see the uk price thread. You really need to buy the tubeless tire options which are ~£6,300
Its just a bit more expensive than I thought it would be.£5800 is what  I saw on a you tube report for the basic model.
Freedom.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #190 on: November 26, 2023, 01:10:02 am
@ #186: Its all about getting the thing past Euro 5.

The air-cooled J-model has no issues with Euro-5 does it? Or the 650?

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #192 on: November 26, 2023, 05:35:44 pm
Cycle World: 2024 Royal Enfield Himalayan First Ride Review
We ride the new 2024 liquid-cooled four-valve single-powered ADV.
By Blake Conner, November 10, 2023

https://www.cycleworld.com/motorcycle-reviews/royal-enfield-himalayan-first-ride-review/

2024 Royal Enfield Himalayan Engine
There is no question that the brand-new Sherpa 450 engine in the Himalayan is the star of the show.
The goals were to improve the engine’s performance for highway riding and overtaking, which clearly meant that power had to be improved. Peak power has been increased by 65 percent compared to the 411cc air-cooled engine in the previous model, while torque is up 25 percent. Claimed power is now 39.6 hp at 8,000 rpm with 29.5 lb.-ft. of peak torque arriving at 5,500 rpm. Unlike a 450cc motocross engine that is designed for maximum top-end performance, the Sherpa was designed to deliver broad torque across the rev range for everyday usability on road and off. The new engine delivers a ton more power in a bike that is a full 10 pounds lighter, making for a a huge improvement in riding experience.

2024 Royal Enfield Himalayan Chassis
Not only has the engine taken a big step forward, but the chassis is a real complement to the powertrain. This should come as no surprise considering that back in 2015 Royal Enfield acquired chassis specialists Harris Performance, a company that has designed and built racing machines that competed in the 500cc Grand Prix and World Superbike classes in days gone by, and was key in the development of RE’s sporty Continental GT.

Riding Impression
India is about as far away from Colorado as anywhere in the world, but the Himalayas in the Himachal Pradesh region of northern India are so similar to this author’s home state that it felt very familiar. OK, take away the complete and total on-road anarchy of tuk-tuks, trucks, cows, horses, goats, dogs, and what seems like zero rules of the road, and it was sort of familiar. Prior to our pair of days riding the new Himalayan, we were able to get acquainted with the bike through a series of workshops at an amazing site that RE set up adjacent to our hotel in Manali. To say that it went all out to introduce the Himalayan to journalists is an understatement. We can confidently state that if a person worked on any aspect of the bike, they were on site to answer our questions. Engineers, designers, accessory specialists, test riders, you name it they were there.
Saddled up for a 150-mile day of mixed riding on both asphalt and dirt, the Himalayan feels fully modern as the 452cc engine sparks to life without a nanosecond of hesitation. Even on our 40ish-degree morning, the bike instantly settles into a smooth idle. In the meantime, while it warms up, we tether our smartphone to the latest-generation Tripper dash and load the day’s route into the system via Bluetooth. According to American Matt Cardenas, product strategy head of advanced concepts, who is in charge of the Tripper system, RE is the first motorcycle company to use Google Maps as its native navigation engine. Chalk that up as another leap for the company.
Our route would start off with a really fun climb up a series switchbacks toward the 9-kilometer-long Atal Tunnel, which is the highest single-tube tunnel in the world at 10,171 feet of elevation. Right away—at least at elevations exceeding 10,000 feet—you learn that the engine needs revs and some dancing on the shift lever if a spirited pace is desired. Of course that isn’t necessarily the Himalayan’s jam, but it is something it doesn’t mind at all. The engine is flexible and offers a broad spread of power, and we have to cut it some slack during our day that topped out at more than 11,000 feet of horsepower-draining elevation.
While attacking Passo del Stelvio–like hairpins requires shifting all the way down to first at times, and working the gearbox like a tap dancer clacks the stage, the gearbox performs very well. The slip and assist cable-actuated clutch provides light pull, smooth engagement, and accurate gear changes, while the transmission ratios offer a range capable of everything from slow off-road crawling to highway cruising speeds. Later in the morning when the roads opened up into big sweepers along the Chenab River, the Himalayan proved happy clipping along between second and fourth gears, with fifth and sixth rarely engaged.
A really pleasant surprise on the asphalt is the competence of the chassis. The frame is rigid and the front-end geometry provides good stability, while still allowing the bike to easily be flicked into those hairpins without a ton of effort at the bars. We weren’t sure how the Indian-made Ceat tires would perform on the road, but they provided good grip, with the 90/90-21 front surely giving the bike some agility flicking from side to side.
Another really welcome improvement is the Showa suspension. The fork in particular is very well damped considering it has zero provisions for adjustment. The shock doesn’t live up to the same level of the fork, but is still good considering the price point this bike will likely carry. The shock does have preload adjustability, which we took advantage of, dialing in a bit more to keep the bike from wallowing on the rear suspension. If we had one thing we would ask for from the chassis, it would be some rebound damping to keep the bike from pogoing after a harsh G-out or sharp bump.
On road, the bike allows a lot more lean angle than we anticipated, and even when riding like a fool at a pace not necessarily in the Himalayan’s design parameters, it rarely drags the footpegs or runs out of cornering clearance.
But let’s be honest here, a 452cc, single-powered adventure bike is a bit out of its element on the highway. That’s not to say this new version isn’t capable, but this is not its happy place. It will cruise at highway speeds without issue thanks to the new six-speed gearbox, but if you need to make a quick pass, a shift or two are usually in order to do it with authority. And don’t expect KTM 1290–like acceleration. Gravel roads, double-track, and rougher terrain are where it feels at home. Luckily, over the course of the two days riding we got to spend quite a bit of time in that environment. For those skeptical about a sub-500cc ADV machine in harsh environments, it’s here that the Himalayan raises its hand and says “I’ve got this.”
Despite the very-much not knobby tires fitted to the Himalayan, once the route turns to gravel embedded with rocks, crossed with washouts, and water crossings, the chassis proves to provide really good stability and traction. There are a few things going on here: The Showa fork really helps provide a lot of confidence in the front end, while the bike carries its weight very well, never feeling top-heavy, especially when standing on the pegs. The front never wants to knife in and tuck—it is supported and predictable. Even when sand is encountered, the front end is easy to manage, so we can only imagine how nice it will track once you throw on some good knobbies.The suspension that performs quite well on road, continues to excel off of it too. The only complaint is once again a lack of rebound damping from the shock. We were able to get the rear end into an acceptable zone in terms of how it reacted compressing, but harsh hits to the rear definitely make the rear end kick back when pushing the pace off-road. The reality here is that you can’t expect this bike to handle nasty off-road sections like a pure enduro machine; it performs beyond expectation and is quite predictable and capable.
Whereas the engine feels taxed on the highway, in the dirt it’s another story. Considering the elevation we were testing at, we left the bike’s mode in the Performance setting. Traction is easy to manage despite no TC to intervene, with the tractable nature of the engine and excellent throttle response from the ride-by-wire throttle making it very predictable.
Although the brakes ultimately do the job, they are nothing to write home about. Off highway, the combination makes much more sense, never feeling grabby at the front, but the rear (with the ABS turned off) locks quite easily. On the road, it took quite a bit of effort at the lever to get the performance we wanted; we wish they had a bit more bite and power.
A very important aspect of the Himalayan is how easily it caters to a wide variety of rider heights and inseams. The standard seat (32.5 to 33.3 inches), allows me at 5-foot-11 and a 30-inch inseam, firm footing at stops, but more importantly when making U-turns or when stopped on uneven surfaces off-road. The bike is very narrow between the legs which further helps control when chugging along at slow speeds off-road or when you have to dab. The seating position itself is very comfortable with a gentle bend at the knee and an easy reach to the handlebar. When standing off-road, the layout allows an easy reach down to the bar. We’d ditch the rubber footpeg inserts right away if this was our bike as they instantly become slick as ice when wet, but otherwise we really like the bike’s ergos.
Conclusion
There are a few ways to wrap up what this bike is all about and who it’s for. And unfortunately as we go to press there is one big unanswered question that greatly influences those points: price. Of course Royal Enfield has a long reputation for offering its models at ridiculously low prices, but will that remain the case with this all-new, fully modern machine? For now, we’re going to assume that RE is going to target low cost in a manner consistent with its past.
When looking at it through those glasses, the Himalayan could be one of the best values in all of adventure motorcycling. What you get is a fully modern engine, with up-to-date features and performance, a predictable and good performing chassis with high-quality suspension, navigation that is class leading, and a list of accessories that should make the bike appeal to a wide range of buyers. And the bike welcomes riders of all shapes, sizes, and skill levels.
Make no mistake, this is a legitimate ADV bike. It may be scaled down and relatively simple compared to the bulk of the market’s offerings, but that in and of itself gives it a foot up in certain situations, especially off-road, where low weight and good agility count a lot more than raw power.
Royal Enfield’s Himalayan is truly dual-purpose; though not stunning in either of the dirt or street categories, it proves pleasingly competent just about everywhere. So while we give the new Himalayan a big thumbs-up, price will ultimately dictate if this bike is truly the best value in adventure motorcycling.

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #193 on: November 26, 2023, 06:15:08 pm
Itchy boots review is in and ready to watch!
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #194 on: November 26, 2023, 06:23:36 pm
so now, after owning my himalayan for a little over a year, it's "obsolete". it's ok, i've been here before with my h1, 40 years ago. wish i still had that bike. i suspect i might feel the same about my 411 in a couple of years... i plan to keep it unless i stumble on some sucker willing to take it in trade for an h1... air cooled, carbs, kick start... not all "progress" is progress.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #195 on: November 26, 2023, 08:20:38 pm
Nope - the 411 ain't dead. Yours is paid for. The actual upshot is that new 452 apparently isn't a pile of kak. IF a guy wants a NEW, SHINY trail(able)bike he can now get one on par with a DR400 for about $6K guesstimated vs $7K-ish. That's all in the NEW bike universe.

Cheap old SOB's like you & me would just get a $1500-$2500 or so used DR400 or XL400 if we had delusions of boyhood trail flogging grandeur. Otherwise we just lurk in the weeds with our fistful of accreted Social Security cash and wait for some young(ish) 411 riding turk to be smitten with the "latest 'n greatest, new & shiny LC452" syndrome, swoop in and strike before he wakes up.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #196 on: November 27, 2023, 12:47:14 pm
So it's still not really happy on the highway. Therefore, nothing to make me upgrade from my 411.
Oh, it's certainly better in most ways than the bike I have. But I don't dislike the bike I have, so improving upon it doesn't really tug at me to trade up.
A fantastic bike that will no doubt bring many new riders into the brand, though.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #197 on: November 27, 2023, 05:44:22 pm
" So it's still not really happy on the highway. "
I assume you got that from here? From a motojourno that is used to liter-plus sportbikes and porcine, ludicrously overpowered wallet-sapping adventure bikes? A competent 4 cylinder DOHC fuel-injected 100 BHP 600-class sportbike would need to be downshifted to do a quick pass unless you are already taching 9,000 RPM and just buzz it up to its 12,000 RPM redline for a brisk 1/4th mile.
" It will cruise at highway speeds without issue thanks to the new six-speed gearbox, but if you need to make a quick pass, a shift or two are usually in order to do it with authority. "
What does not really happy even mean? We are talking about the LC452, a modern 40 HP, 6-speed, near 400 pound bike that will run +95 easily. A 452cc  short stroke one-lung motor is inherently busier than a larger displacement engine. It's not a problem to the machine RPM-wise, but you will be rowing the shifter more than on a Goldwing or "KTM 1290 (160 HP, 600 pounds wet)". The venerable KLR650 doesn't even make 40 HP but nobody is saying it's not highway worthy. Nobody spends great amounts of time above a wind-blasting 75 on the highway except teenagers and "sport riders", it's just too expensive contributing to the local constabulary. A larger displacement machine will obviously seem less "hurried" at 75 MPH, but that's a subjective feeling not a mechanical limitation. Smaller engines will be buzzier than larger ones. As long as they aren't putting your hands or butt to sleep via vibration it's all good. Personal preference isn't mechanical limitation.

ddavidv

• Prefers "Your Majesty"
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #198 on: November 29, 2023, 12:32:29 pm
"highway worthy" is going to be defined by the individual. I wouldn't have called my KLR highway worthy. Highway capable? Maybe. Highway comfortable? No.

Engines have their 'happy place' in the rev range. My 411 on a highway is happiest at 60-65. It can do 70, but feels a bit frantic. 75, when achieved, feels abusive.

The 452 doesn't sound like it will be massively different in this regard. Depends on where it's happy place is, which at this point is purely speculative. I may be proven wrong, which is fine. But I think some folks believe this will have the highway manners of a V-Strom, which it won't.

The only category (IMO) where the 411 suffers is at Interstate speeds, something it isn't asked to do in many corners of the world. It can do them, but not with authority or a level of comfort that larger engines can provide. If the 452 isn't substantially better in this singular category, it offers little incentive for me to trade up. That is not to say it won't be a great bike or superior to the 411 variants. It just won't justify a new financial investment to a lot of current model riders.  I think this bike is more about conquest sales than being a must-have for current owners.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #199 on: November 29, 2023, 12:38:34 pm
"highway worthy" is going to be defined by the individual.
fair enough.

Deathwish

• Deathwish
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #200 on: November 29, 2023, 03:56:02 pm
"highway worthy" is going to be defined by the individual. I wouldn't have called my KLR highway worthy. Highway capable? Maybe. Highway comfortable? No.

Engines have their 'happy place' in the rev range. My 411 on a highway is happiest at 60-65. It can do 70, but feels a bit frantic. 75, when achieved, feels abusive.

The 452 doesn't sound like it will be massively different in this regard. Depends on where it's happy place is, which at this point is purely speculative. I may be proven wrong, which is fine. But I think some folks believe this will have the highway manners of a V-Strom, which it won't.

The only category (IMO) where the 411 suffers is at Interstate speeds, something it isn't asked to do in many corners of the world. It can do them, but not with authority or a level of comfort that larger engines can provide. If the 452 isn't substantially better in this singular category, it offers little incentive for me to trade up. That is not to say it won't be a great bike or superior to the 411 variants. It just won't justify a new financial investment to a lot of current model riders.  I think this bike is more about conquest sales than being a must-have for current owners.

I wouldn't disregard the added benefit of having that 6th gear, which if geared properly should still allow plenty of grunt at slow speeds and a more relaxed feel at highway speeds. Perhaps feeling much like having the stock 15 tooth sprocket of the 411 at slow speeds while feeling like the 16 tooth at higher speeds? I imagine it will still be anemic on the highway, but an improvement over the 411.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #201 on: November 29, 2023, 04:48:53 pm
Then there's the "40 BHP vs. 24 BHP" thing. The LC452 has the same 10 lb./hp the interceptor has. The upcoming 452 Scram version should really add to the sales floor confusion. An old 650 TR6R Tiger weighed in at about 400 pounds and was 42 HP thru a 4 speed gearbox. The venerable 450 "Black Bomber" Honda was about the same. 40 HP is highway worthy. More than that is personal preference & wallet size. A 6-speed WR gearbox is icing on the cake, just like it is for the 650 Interceptor.

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #202 on: November 29, 2023, 06:58:05 pm
Being an Interceptor owner and having more bhp on that bike it has never bothered me having less on the Himalayan.The national speed limit is 70 mph in the UK.The Himalayan copes,fine.The interceptor can reach 100mph + ..I don't need it.As for the arguement I need the extra power for overtaking all I can say is you must be taking chances.
Freedom.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #203 on: December 03, 2023, 05:10:50 pm
If this has normal forks it'd be the one I'd go for. Probably lighter than the adventure version, likely for less money too. This bike is going to give the 650 a run for its money.
Royal Enfield Scram 450 (Himalayan Based) Render In Multiple Colourways SATYA SINGH OCTOBER 30, 2023
Copyright (C) 'RUSH LANE' Read more at... https://www.rushlane.com/royal-enfield-scram-450-himalayan-based-render-in-multiple-colours-12454493.html .
In the slew of planned future products, Royal Enfield Scram 450 is one of the most attractive The cat is out of the bag and we all know that Royal Enfield Scram 450 is coming. We have been witnessing test mules of Scram 450 since May 2022. It was first spied testing alongside its ADV sibling Himalayan 450. These are likely to be sold alongside the current Himalayan and Scram 411. Rendering artist Pratyush Rout has penned down his version of Scram 450.

Copyright (C) 'RUSH LANE' Read more at... https://www.rushlane.com/royal-enfield-scram-450-himalayan-based-render-in-multiple-colours-12454493.html .

Royal Enfield SCRAM 452 Features, Colours, Launch & Price Update
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuQAREex4cU