Author Topic: Royal Enfield bags?  (Read 3569 times)

Ton1959

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: November 29, 2022, 10:29:09 pm
Anyone have an opinion on if these are real Royal Enfield or counterfeit? We seem to be more fixated on their position than their origin!

I think yours might not be genuine.

Ton1959

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: November 29, 2022, 10:30:58 pm
Do yours have this strap Jess?

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #17 on: November 29, 2022, 10:45:46 pm
They bags look very close to the exhaust compared to ton1959's photo.Just wondering with extra weight they might touch?You don't want that.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 10:51:04 pm by James. »
Freedom.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: November 29, 2022, 10:46:50 pm
To me Jess the 'emblem' looks very dodgy, unfortunately i think there counterfeits.
I think so too. The only ones Royal Enfield shows on their website are chrome, no black rails for the 650s.
 Still they all, bags & rail, seem pretty well made. Time will tell if the hold up.
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

Knacker

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: November 30, 2022, 02:39:45 am
Ah, saddlebags for the 650. Nothing except finding a pair of boots I really like has caused me so much heartburn on the subject of returning to motorcycling.

I bought the 'same' bags for my rocker red '22 GT, locally from my dealer for far more than they'd have cost elsewhere. So pretty sure they are genuine.

I'm also quite sure there are lots of things about them that seem a little iffy. In fact, they've spent the last month or more at an upholstery shop to be repaired after an insufficiently tightened strap came loose and was pulled off by the spokes.

Anyway, mine have chrome (actually stainless) rails, and stick out just as far as yours. They are held in place on the rails by a single plastic buckle whose strap is not adjustable and not tight enough.

Also, the rails are bent such that the loop of fabric is reasonably tight near the front. The loop of fabric, though, is not tapered like the rails- so the aft end of the bags are free to move up and down at least 2 inches.

Instead of the buckle that holds your top strap shut, mine have (OK, had) a hook that slips through a loop of fabric. Pretty sure mine died because there is no way to sinch that hook tight enough to keep it from coming free without cargo in the bag.

In looking at pictures of these bags on line, I'm pretty sure no two pair are made exactly alike. I've seen ones with the buckles to hold the straps like yours, ones like mine, and another variant that uses the hooks like mine but obviously not the exact shape and size.

The bags have also been in short supply it seems, at various times.

My hunch is that there have been problems with them, with function and maybe also with sourcing production. So I'd guess further that while yours may be counterfeit, they may just as easily be genuine, but with details changed for various reasons. Like the hook thingy coming loose and ruining the bag...

As for mine, I'm still thinking of other ways to get my travel on. They aren't really big enough, and have lots of imperfections.

On the other hand, I have successfully gone on a 3 day camping trip solo using them and a tank bag. It worked.

EJJKC

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: November 30, 2022, 03:45:52 am
I bought Royal Enfield brand soft panniers & rack for my GT, I think?
 I discovered that there two different sets being sold.
 At first I thought I was just picking between black rails and chrome rails, but when they arrived I discovered other differences that make me question their authenticity.
 Downloading the official installation guide from the Royal Enfield website shows the rack attached to the upper shock mount and the pillion footpeg mount. Also there is a threaded hole next to the shock mount hole for a retaining clip.
 The one that I received mounts to the shock top mount and the exhaust mount, no place for retaining clip.
 The bags are roll top and have a Royal Enfield logo, but it’s kind of crude. The Royal Enfield bags shown on the official website have a metal hook on the closing strap, mine is a plastic clip.

What do y’all think, am I the proud  of counterfeit Royal Enfield panniers!

I don’t know if you’re the proud owner of counterfeit bags…. But most likely, however, all that matters is if YOU like them… I also think I like that tail light so where did you get it?
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 4.7l qd2
2022 RE Interceptor 650
2004 Goldwing
1997 XR250r 310cc big bore kit, custom ground cam. Big valve kit. Torque monster

All about anything fast enough to do something stupid with.

Happiness is not around the corner, happiness is the corner

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: November 30, 2022, 04:30:20 am

I don’t know if you’re the proud owner of counterfeit bags…. But most likely, however, all that matters is if YOU like them… I also think I like that tail light so where did you get it?
Its not a single tail light you can buy. I bought two billet aluminum round tail lights, removed the stock taillight from its bracket, drilled the stock mount & mounted the two round ones.  Had to fill the center hole left by the stock taillight with black metal mesh.
 Indicators are from AliExpress. The ‘flash’ is sequential and the outside edge lights red along with brake lights.
 The billet round taillights are not cheap, but you can find them at PrismMotorcycles.com

Oh, and so far I do like the bags.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 04:32:22 am by JessHerbst »

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: November 30, 2022, 04:39:09 am
Knacker,
 Mine actually clip at the back with an adjustable strap. You slide the bags back pocket on to the rack then clip the strap around the rack itself. You can pull it as tight as necessary.

James,
 The way the bags fit on the rack they will not drop lower. The bottom is stiff. It and the rack form a kind of shelf the the bag contents sit on.

Ton1959,
 Yes there are 4 straps on each, two at the ends hold the rolled top at the ends, one wide strap goes across the top/middle and the fourth is at the back to hold the bag on the rails.

Knacker

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: November 30, 2022, 05:03:45 am
I'm leaning toward your bags being an improved version rather than fakes. The changes solve real problems.

wingman4424

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: November 30, 2022, 08:29:10 am

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #25 on: November 30, 2022, 09:27:07 am
I found out when I removed the pannier rails I could easily attach this soft bag.I have the other one which should fit easily also.This is a generic bag that comes with straps for anchor points.
Freedom.

Tuh

• Bulleteer
Reply #26 on: November 30, 2022, 09:53:13 am
I found out when I removed the pannier rails I could easily attach this soft bag.I have the other one which should fit easily also.This is a generic bag that comes with straps for anchor points.

Nice bag, wich one is that?

Ton1959

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: November 30, 2022, 09:59:58 am
The genuine bags dont stick out as far but the straps might be better on yours.

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #28 on: November 30, 2022, 10:35:12 am
Nice bag, wich one is that?
Fantastic value,tough and cheap as.
They are ok for an overnight stop  but are not big enough for serious touring.They look bigger in the bike photos.
Easy to unstrap and carry.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 11:12:14 am by James. »
Freedom.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: November 30, 2022, 03:17:00 pm
I’m not running a strap across my seat cowl, does nasty things to the stripes…