Author Topic: Royal Enfield bags?  (Read 3561 times)

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
on: November 29, 2022, 06:14:00 pm
 I bought Royal Enfield brand soft panniers & rack for my GT, I think?
 I discovered that there two different sets being sold.
 At first I thought I was just picking between black rails and chrome rails, but when they arrived I discovered other differences that make me question their authenticity.
 Downloading the official installation guide from the Royal Enfield website shows the rack attached to the upper shock mount and the pillion footpeg mount. Also there is a threaded hole next to the shock mount hole for a retaining clip.
 The one that I received mounts to the shock top mount and the exhaust mount, no place for retaining clip.
 The bags are roll top and have a Royal Enfield logo, but it’s kind of crude. The Royal Enfield bags shown on the official website have a metal hook on the closing strap, mine is a plastic clip.

What do y’all think, am I the proud owner of counterfeit Royal Enfield panniers!
2022 Rocker Red Continental GT650

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
  • East Central Indiana, USA
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2022, 06:33:15 pm
Wouldn't they have to be at least licensed by Royal Enfield to use their trademark? Either way they look nice and will no doubt be useful.

iblastoff

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 06:46:25 pm
hm they stick out hilariously far out at the end.

also is it just the angle or do the racks stick out really far outwards away from the bike too? i guess they have to, to accomodate the rear indicators? i cant imagine what the racks would look like if you took the bags off.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 06:48:40 pm by iblastoff »

anglojaxon

• Bulleteer
  • AngloJaxon
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 06:56:16 pm
Ideally you want the load over the rear wheel, not behind it.
2019 Interceptor 650
2017 R1200 GS

Ton1959

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 07:15:16 pm
This my RE rack for the soft cases. I have never seen the rack that you have on your bike.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 07:17:44 pm by Ton1959 »

Ton1959

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 29, 2022, 07:16:24 pm
And with bags fitted.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2022, 07:43:19 pm
This my RE rack for the soft cases. I have never seen the rack that you have on your bike.
Yep, that’s the one described in the install guide.
 I thought that black would work better with my bike than chrome.
 I have yet to find your rack in black.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 07:47:29 pm
hm they stick out hilariously far out at the end.

also is it just the angle or do the racks stick out really far outwards away from the bike too? i guess they have to, to accomodate the rear indicators? i cant imagine what the racks would look like if you took the bags off.
I thought so too from Stuart Fillinghams video. But in person i like it. The bags and rack do not obstruct the seat cowl look, or rear lights.
 Much better in person than in photos. At least in my opinion.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 08:10:12 pm
Mass centralization isn't a big issue here, you aren't going to be carrying rocks in them, nobody is handing out $100 bills for style, they look just fine for their intended purpose. Hitchcock's is probably a better source than ebay to actually get what you think you are ordering, albeit at higher cost. I doubt that copyright law is of much concern offshore. Anyway - a nice set of useful luggage carriers - good score!
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: November 29, 2022, 09:24:08 pm
I thought so too from Stuart Fillinghams video. But in person i like it. The bags and rack do not obstruct the seat cowl look, or rear lights.
 Much better in person than in photos. At least in my opinion.

Jess, weight distribution overrides "the look" If they were mounted any further back they'd be in a different Zip code. Your first mistake was watching an uncle Stewie video.

Phil 
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 09:39:56 pm
Jess, weight distribution overrides "the look" If they were mounted any further back they'd be in a different Zip code. Your first mistake was watching an uncle Stewie video.

Phil
Phil, I actually like Uncle Stew, but he did not like the Royal Enfield rack & bags. Pretty sure he has a close relationship with a unnamed luggage company.
 Genuine or not, they ride in the exact place that the factory Royal Enfield bags ride so I’m not worried about placement. The Royal Enfield engineers have given their blessing to this spot, plus I’m not going to be loading them down with a camping gear, I’m a soft bed motel kind of girl.
 Just wanted enough space for a 2 or 3 overnight stays. I’ve done 2 single overnight rides with my leather purse size bags (no rack, just strapped to frame), so these should have plenty of room for me.
 Plus, they are further forward and much lower than a top case.

JessHerbst

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 09:59:38 pm
Anyone have an opinion on if these are real Royal Enfield or counterfeit? We seem to be more fixated on their position than their origin!

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 10:03:13 pm
Phil, I actually like Uncle Stew, but he did not like the Royal Enfield rack & bags. Pretty sure he has a close relationship with a unnamed luggage company.
 Genuine or not, they ride in the exact place that the factory Royal Enfield bags ride so I’m not worried about placement. The Royal Enfield engineers have given their blessing to this spot, plus I’m not going to be loading them down with a camping gear, I’m a soft bed motel kind of girl.
 Just wanted enough space for a 2 or 3 overnight stays. I’ve done 2 single overnight rides with my leather purse size bags (no rack, just strapped to frame), so these should have plenty of room for me.
 Plus, they are further forward and much lower than a top case.

Back in the 80's when my wife and I toured Europe for 3 months on a BMW with hard cases and tank bag staying in Motels/Pensionies we laid all the clothes we were going to take on the bed. I told my wife to cut 50% of what she wanted to take and there were screams of protest but she did. Of course they were nothing to the reaction when I told her to cut it another 50% after that, lol.

Phil 
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

dav

• Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: November 29, 2022, 10:11:54 pm
Anyone have an opinion on if these are real Royal Enfield or counterfeit? We seem to be more fixated on their position than their origin!
To me Jess the 'emblem' looks very dodgy, unfortunately i think there counterfeits.

dav

• Grease Monkey
Reply #14 on: November 29, 2022, 10:21:27 pm
Back in the 80's when my wife and I toured Europe for 3 months on a BMW with hard cases and tank bag staying in Motels/Pensionies we laid all the clothes we were going to take on the bed. I told my wife to cut 50% of what she wanted to take and there were screams of protest but she did. Of course they were nothing to the reaction when I told her to cut it another 50% after that, lol.

Phil

I learnt that after my first week long ride, that 3/4's of the stuff (mainly clothes) i did not need or used. But one of the most important items that i never forget (after my first night in a motel on my first trip) is a pillow case.