Author Topic: Introduction and Warranty Question  (Read 1356 times)

Alberta Deryl

• Scooter
  • Licensed riding instructor since 1980.
on: November 28, 2022, 12:52:05 am
Hi everyone -- a new forum member here from Edmonton, Canada.  I'm looking forward to picking up a new Interceptor in the spring -- it will be my 21st bike.  I really appreciate the great info on this forum! 
Here is my question -- what common modifications would void the warranty?  I'm thinking adding a DNA filter, Power Commander and a 2-1 Stinger specifically.  What about a cam?
Thanks all!

whippers

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 04:57:16 am
Hi everyone -- a new forum member here from Edmonton, Canada.  I'm looking forward to picking up a new Interceptor in the spring -- it will be my 21st bike.  I really appreciate the great info on this forum! 
Here is my question -- what common modifications would void the warranty?  I'm thinking adding a DNA filter, Power Commander and a 2-1 Stinger specifically.  What about a cam?
Thanks all!

Every country may have slightly different warranty.  For example in my country (NZ) the warranty is void is you don't have the bike dealer serviced and potentially voided by any unapproved modification.  Like most countries, Consumer law is much stronger than any warranty so unless the modifications you make could have reasonably caused or contributed to whatever claim you might have you are likely to prevail.

For example in New Zealand the Consumer Guarantee Act.

The Consumer Guarantees Act (CGA) says customers can get a replacement, repair or refund for:

faulty products
substandard services
late deliveries
being overcharged if the price wasn’t set beforehand.
But you do not have to give a refund, repair or replacement if the customer:

changes their mind
caused the problem either on accident or on purpose
doesn’t follow your advice about a product’s use or care, eg washing instructions
goes to someone else for repairs before coming to you.

For the reason about product's use or care I always use the specified lubricants and oil filters (don'y be pennywise and pound foolish).

2021 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor Baker Express
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS

The older I get the Faster I was

Karl Steel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 06:23:36 am
Thanks all!
In our country the PowerCommander would void the warranty.
I'm quite sure it's the same in your country. The 2-1 isn't allowed here, it would also void the warranty. If you buy a pipe with certification, it should be ok. My Continental has got Zard pipes mounted by the dealer from the beginning - no void.
Normally they recommend to ask a dealer bevor you do any heavy modification, especially at the engine..

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 06:51:58 am
Thanks all!

So I'm guessing the other 20 bikes were all second hand? Because every mod you've mentioned will void the warranty everywhere in the world same as any make of new bike. Most new bike buyers have been aware of this for at least 40 years or more, it's not a new concept. Of course if you have a sensible and co operative dealer then you may be ok but that's not a given. Just to be clear apart from technically voiding the warranty every mod you've listed is also illegal in every wester country in the world. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't do these mods but that's the reality. The 2 into one exhaust on this bike is a joke in my view and shouldn't be considered, but that's just my opinion. 

Phil   
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

Karl Steel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 08:02:07 am
every mod you've listed is also illegal in every wester country in the world   
I thought it's only within the EU where any modification to the engine and exhaust system (with some exceptions) are totally illegal. How is it in the USA, AU, NZ or the UK - can you install e.g. a bore kit and/or the power commander and legalize it? We cannot do that here.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 08:47:38 am
I thought it's only within the EU where any modification to the engine and exhaust system (with some exceptions) are totally illegal. How is it in the USA, AU, NZ or the UK - can you install e.g. a bore kit and/or the power commander and legalize it? We cannot do that here.

All the countries you mention have regulations that require adherence to at least euro4 regulations. It's not a European thing. People still mod their bikes of course but in Germany for instance the laws are very strict and any modified part must have TUV approval. In California cars for example must have an emissions test every year, not sure if that applies to bikes as well but the point is it's not a free for all outside Europe. Most aftermarket exhaust manufacturers skirt around the issue by labelling their product "not for highway use" of course.
In Australia any mod at all that affects the std engine configuration is technically illegal. Whether or not you get caught is the issue here. Some states have no yearly inspection but the Police can issue you a defect notice if they happen to suspect you have any modifications at all.

Phil   

Phil   

Phil 
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

NVDucati

• Grand Gearhead
  • USA 2020 INT
Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 01:09:22 pm

Phil   

Phil   

Phil

Thanks ... made me smile ... well done.
Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT, '14 Honda CB1000-R

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 01:33:27 pm
Speak to the dealer see what he/she says.If your lucky there might be a nod and a wink and a blind eye involved.😉
Freedom.

Island Rider

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 02:19:31 pm
In the USA the dealer is supposed to have to "prove" that what you did caused whatever problem the bike is in for. If you add a new exhaust and the brakes quit working, you will probably still be covered. If you mod the engine and the engine quits working, that is pretty much a clear case of you screwing it up.
I would not go doing what you plan on and having any meaningful warranty coverage.
You also get to the point where just buying a Triumph would get you the power you want, still have a warranty, and probably cost around the same in the end. Also factor in resale, I am not interested in a modded bike done by anyone but me, I have no idea how well you did the work.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 02:21:34 pm by Island Rider »

James.

• Grand Gearhead
  • Independent.
Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 02:35:29 pm
In the USA the dealer is supposed to have to "prove" that what you did caused whatever problem the bike is in for. If you add a new exhaust and the brakes quit working, you will probably still be covered. If you mod the engine and the engine quits working, that is pretty much a clear case of you screwing it up.
I would not go doing what you plan on and having any meaningful warranty coverage.
You also get to the point where just buying a Triumph would get you the power you want, still have a warranty, and probably cost around the same in the end. Also factor in resale, I am not interested in a modded bike done by anyone but me, I have no idea how well you did the work.
That's a very good point.If you are spending money on a new bike to gain more power.
Freedom.

Karl Steel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: November 28, 2022, 02:54:05 pm
That's a very good point.If you are spending money on a new bike to gain more power.
At the end a modded enfield with 65hp costs more than a triumph with same or even more power. Enfields are only "cheap" as long as you take them as they are.

lucky phil

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: November 28, 2022, 09:05:50 pm
Thanks ... made me smile ... well done.

Ha, just confused myself.

Phil, Phil, Phil
Ducati1198
Guzzi V11 Sport/Daytona
GSXR1000
Ducati 1000DS Supersport
RE Interceptor

Spicyred

• Ice Queenslander (Australia)
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 08:49:48 am
When I put the claim in for speed sensor on front wheel, the dealer asked where I sourced my AEW exhausts. He wasn’t critical, more admiring. No issue having the warranty go through.
Current rides:
2021 Himalayan
2023 RNineT
Most recent:
2019 Ice Queen GT650

20MarkIII

• Grand Gearhead
  • East Central Indiana, USA
Reply #13 on: November 29, 2022, 01:24:17 pm
Welcome to the Forum Sir! Another point about Dealerships, if at all possible, try to find one that is reputable and professional. And remember, your warranty is only as good as your dealer.

Streetliight

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: November 29, 2022, 02:32:55 pm
A quick Google search makes it seem like Canada's national-level policies on this topic mirror the US's. But like the US, I imagine it varies from one state/province to another. As a former VW enthusiast, there were a ton of Quebecois in the community that experienced issues with car modification that Canadians in other provinces didn't.

I'm sure there are some other Royal Enfield riders on here who are from Alberta, and maybe they can chime in.

EJJKC

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: December 02, 2022, 10:54:25 am
All the countries you mention have regulations that require adherence to at least euro4 regulations. It's not a European thing. People still mod their bikes of course but in Germany for instance the laws are very strict and any modified part must have TUV approval. In California cars for example must have an emissions test every year, not sure if that applies to bikes as well but the point is it's not a free for all outside Europe. Most aftermarket exhaust manufacturers skirt around the issue by labelling their product "not for highway use" of course.
In Australia any mod at all that affects the std engine configuration is technically illegal. Whether or not you get caught is the issue here. Some states have no yearly inspection but the Police can issue you a defect notice if they happen to suspect you have any modifications at all.

Phil   

Phil   

Phil

I think it is the same for bikes in California… my 1984 V65 had California compliant emission systems (that I deleted because I wasn’t in California and it never ran correctly with them and the parts were impossible to find)
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 4.7l qd2
2022 RE Interceptor 650
2004 Goldwing
1997 XR250r 310cc big bore kit, custom ground cam. Big valve kit. Torque monster

All about anything fast enough to do something stupid with.

Happiness is not around the corner, happiness is the corner