Author Topic: RE Classic 500 Efi Front & Rear sprocket size combination.  (Read 1257 times)

Tony

• Neophyte
Hi everyone,

I have a 2019 Stealth Black Royal Enfield Classic 500 Efi
I recently swapped the front 18T sprocket with a 19T sprocket (Talon) the result is great, it feels a lot smoother on the highway.

Now i want to do a swap with the rear 38T sprocket too with a Hitchcocks 36T sprocket, has anyone fitten such a combination or any ideas how the bike will ride with 19T front and a 36T rear sprocket setup?

Thanks safe riding.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 07:47:41 pm
My 2012 C5 has a 20 tooth front with a 38 tooth rear, which is practically the same ratio (.526 vs .528 for the 19/36).  I never noticed any lack of torque at startup, and the bike cruises nicely at just under 70 mph.  Above that speed, some shimmy starts to develop, ( my machine has the offset front fork and 18" front wheel, as were fitted to 2011 C5s).

If I tolerate the shimmy, top speed for my bike is about 75 mph.  I am rather large and heavy, and not inclined to tuck, so those are limiting factors, but I do suspect that the higher ratio results in the engine not developing its full horsepower.

Although it's said that fitting the 20 tooth requires some filing or grinding inside the case, I didn't see any appreciable material removal when I was poking around in there. 
Fitting the 20T was done by the previous owner.
You might want to consider the 20/38 ratio.
https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Gearbox-Sprockets-EFI-English-Made/20894    This would probably save you quite a bit of money, and perhaps allow easier changeover.

I'm not aware Hitchcocks offering any rear sprocket for the UCE 500s with less than 38 teeth.  Can you post a link?

beagle

• Grease Monkey
  • Australia
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 09:06:39 am
Id suggest you don't do it. The motor wont rev out with the extra load, unless you very slowly ease into it and will probably have to constantly change down if yer in a hurry. But, to each their own...Good luck with the adventure...
Drink now....avoid the Xmas rush.
greetings from Brisbane, Australia