Author Topic: GT 535 Rear 130/70-18 Pirelli Sport Demon Tire  (Read 942 times)

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
on: November 14, 2022, 01:03:10 am
Hey guys. 2 questions for the group. 

Question 1️⃣
I’v come to the conclusion that with me weighing right at 160 lbs and with a more conservative ridding style rather then the more aggressive, diving hard in to corners, scraping the pegs style, that a stock 130/70-18 rear Pirelli Sport Demon will give you right about 13,500 miles of life right before the tire belt starts to ware through.

Iv started turning a wrench 28 years ago at the age of 13.  I worked for the Michelin tire company for right at 8 years.  I have never seen a tire do this before until the past 2-3 years now.  The stock Sort Demon that has a date code of October of 2013 on my 2014 GT 535 that I bought brand new from the local Houston dealer in October of 2015 with only 9 miles on the clock.

Iv noticed over the past 2-3 years that the rear stock Sport Demon tire tread is not waring consistently through out the tread surface of the tire.  The tire tread at 12 oclock is wearing much faster then the tread at 6 oclock.  It makes me wonder if the tire was placed off set and not centered in the tread molding machine, or that the tread molding machine was out of calibration causing the tread at 12 oclock to be molded much heaver and deeper, leaving the tread at 6 oclock to be molded not nearly as heavily causing the tread to be molded much shallower.  A tire that the tread has not been molded properly, with the same tread depth consistently across the surface of the tire. Thats the only explanation I can come up with as to why the tire tread is waring much faster on the 12 oclock position vs. the 6 oclock position.

A tire that is out of balance would have a much more different ware pattern.  And with 13,500 miles on the clock, I think I would have noticed if the rear tire was out of balanced. 

Has anyone else had this same kind of goofy ware pattern on there stock rear Pirelli Sport Demond? The front tire is wearing as you would expect it to with no noticeable ware pattern issues.  (And before you comment about it, I fully know that the rear tire will ware faster then the front tire will).

Question 2️⃣
Here in the US, every supplier that I know of that caries the stock 130/70-18 Pirelli Sport Demon, since late August has been out of stock.  My local dealer, as usual, is a dear in the head lights when it comes to anything regarding the RE Continental GT 535.  When I called them in early Sept.  They were not sure as to what tire came stock on the GT 535, even after I told them 3 times that the stock tire is a 130/70-18 Pirelli Sport Demon.  After 20 mins on the phone with them, Im not sure if they gave up on trying to find the RE parts book or what, but they told me that there not sure if the tire is available.  Is anyone else having trouble finding the stock size Sport Demon tire here in the US?
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

Nasher

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 09:40:28 am
Can't help with your specific questions, sorry

I junked the oem pirellis as soon as I got the bike as they 'tramline' horribly

Avon Roadriders is my tyre of choice (I use the race version on my 70's classic race bikes)

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 11:08:07 pm
I have finely found after 2 1/2 months of looking, a stock size rear sport demon on amazon (after several times looking on there web site).  Had the new tire installed over the weekend.

DOT date on the tire was 22nd week of 2022!
2014 Continental GT 535
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 01:03:01 am
The original stock tires on my 2014 CGT (Sport Demon's) sat with the bike for a number of years.  I bought the bike last winter with 500 miles in it.  Even though these tires had only 500 miles on them, they had hardened to the point there was no grip in the tires at all.  I could easily spin the rear in an unaggressive, almost stand-up turn.  Then you have the other issue as to how they handle creases in the road.  In my opinion the Sport Demons are horrible tires.  I put on a set of Avon's.  What a difference.  I can feel the grip in the road.  No problem with creases in the road as well.  Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on the Sport Demons.  But hey, if they work for you...  Go for it!  As long as you are happy with them, that is all that counts.

KD5ITM

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 10:48:49 pm
The original stock tires on my 2014 CGT (Sport Demon's) sat with the bike for a number of years.  I bought the bike last winter with 500 miles in it.  Even though these tires had only 500 miles on them, they had hardened to the point there was no grip in the tires at all.  I could easily spin the rear in an unaggressive, almost stand-up turn.  Then you have the other issue as to how they handle creases in the road.  In my opinion the Sport Demons are horrible tires.  I put on a set of Avon's.  What a difference.  I can feel the grip in the road.  No problem with creases in the road as well.  Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on the Sport Demons.  But hey, if they work for you...  Go for it!  As long as you are happy with them, that is all that counts.

My ‘14 GT is the only bike Iv ever ridden.  The Sport Demon tires are all I know.  For my riding style, Im happy with them and the milage I got out of the stock rear tire.  The front tire is still in good condition with good tread.  I really wanted to go with a retro style tire but did not want to put a mix match set of tires on the bike.  At least with the Sport Demon, I already knew what to expect and so far Im pleased with them.
2014 Continental GT 535
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon