Author Topic: Full throttle leads to power fading away  (Read 885 times)

Justin T

• 2008 Bullet 350 import
  • Scooter
on: November 13, 2022, 08:39:10 pm
I just tried to get up a hill and as I gave it some beans it just died away. Gave up on the hill, came back, tried more throttle and felt the power fading until I dialled it back a bit. I have no idea how to remedy, is it running too rich?

stinkwheel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 08:50:13 pm
What sort of carb do you have? What jetting do you currently have and what state of tune is your engine in? How does the plug look?

In general, I'd probably try the next size up main jet and see what effect that has.

Paul W

• Grand Gearhead
  • 350 Bullet Electra (Indian home market).
Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 12:58:07 pm
Have you tried a compression check? That's exactly what my 350 used to do when it had the factory original, soft exhaust valve seat. It would lose compression and power output reduced accordingly.
Paul W.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 02:21:17 pm
Have you tried a compression check? That's exactly what my 350 used to do when it had the factory original, soft exhaust valve seat. It would lose compression and power output reduced accordingly.
That would be the first thing that I would check. Dead engines have a way of sneaking up on their owners.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Justin T

• 2008 Bullet 350 import
  • Scooter
Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 02:42:53 pm
One thing I didn't mention, it's got 100 genuine miles on the clock, so, not run in. However, it's been stored since new. So, wear wouldn't be a thing.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 03:03:09 pm
One thing I didn't mention, it's got 100 genuine miles on the clock, so, not run in. However, it's been stored since new. So, wear wouldn't be a thing.
Ah, that would change everything. Maybe a main jet problem. Have you cleaned the fuel system?
  Also, how do you rate a -1 karma ?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Justin T

• 2008 Bullet 350 import
  • Scooter
Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 04:41:10 pm
Ah, that would change everything. Maybe a main jet problem. Have you cleaned the fuel system?
  Also, how do you rate a -1 karma ?

No, but I will clean the fuel system, worth a try.

I've no idea about the -1 karma. Weird.

stinkwheel

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 07:27:07 pm
Probably worth having a look at the air filter too if it's been sat unused for 14 years. Evict any spiders or mice and check it's not coming apart.

Also worth checking the fuel flow from the tap in case the rubber washer has perished and is restricting fuel flow.

Justin T

• 2008 Bullet 350 import
  • Scooter
Reply #8 on: November 14, 2022, 07:42:36 pm
Cool, thanks all, a few things to investigate.