Author Topic: 2023 Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello S  (Read 2079 times)

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: October 25, 2022, 05:40:20 am
Meanwhile UK has a new prime minister whose net worth is supposedly higher than that of King Charles.

Punjabi descent but actually NOT a Punjabi Sikh, hence no Turban, he is Hindu. 

His family were forced to abandon their businesses and flee their family home when the British forced partition on the Punjab resulting in ongoing race riots and murders.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 05:46:04 am by GlennF »

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #16 on: October 25, 2022, 06:19:27 am
That sure is pretty traumatizing experience heaving to start from zero again.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #17 on: October 25, 2022, 08:17:13 am
The idea of an Indian-descended Hindu running England is pretty amusing. Mahatma Gandhi must have an ear-to-ear grin somewhere up there... ;D

The really good news is that the UK now has someone driving that has a head for numbers, not just another political Pol-Sci hack. Our US markets are up a few percent already. At least there will be some substance behind the decision process now instead of partisan navel lint.

"That sure is pretty traumatizing experience heaving to start from zero again."
Sunak's family in Pre-Partition Gujranwala were educated & had connections and money. They did well enough in Nairobi to get to the UK and get their offspring into Med School. I'm pretty sure the Sunak version of "starting from zero" is waaay different that mine or Derottones would (will?) be. The emphasis and value on education shown by virtually all "eastern" countries stands in stark contrast to the US's consumer-driven, lowest-common-denominator mentality.

https://news.abplive.com/news/world/gujranwala-the-pakistani-city-that-forced-rishi-sunak-s-grandparents-to-compromise-luxury-and-flee-to-uk-1559726
Muslims living in Gujranwala were never among the rich or even the upper class society. The rich and the upper class was represented by the Sikhs and the Hindus, who used to live in big beautiful mansions, while many Muslims would work for them as employees in their businesses and households.
However, after the communal riots started, bloodshed and insecurity forced many Hindu and Sikh families to leave their lavish lifestyle, expensive mansions and big businesses behind and relocate for their own and their family's safety.
Locals also revealed that many Hindu families assigned their Muslim household workers to take care of their homes as they would come back after the riots. However, the riots saw a massive inflow of migrating Muslims from India, who took the opportunity to take over the ownership of the properties that belonged to Hindus and Sikhs. 
Rishi Sunak's grandparents were also among those upper class privileged Hindu families who were forced to compromise their cherished assets for the safety of their family and whose assets were either taken over or looted by the migrated Muslims or by the ones already present in Gujranwala.
Amid the riots, Rishi's paternal grandfather Ramdas Sunak left Gujranwala to work as a clerk in Nairobi in 1935. His wife, Suhag Rani Sunak, moved to Delhi first from Gujranwala, along with her mother-in-law, before travelling to Kenya in 1937.
Ramdas and Suhag Rani had six children, three sons and three daughters.
Rishi's father Yashveer Sunak was born in 1949 in Nairobi. Yashveer arrived in Liverpool in 1966 and went on to study medicine at the University of Liverpool.
Yashveer married Usha in Leicester in 1977. Three years later, Rishi was born in 1980 in Southampton.

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #18 on: October 25, 2022, 09:09:14 am
I'm pretty sure the Sunak version of "starting from zero" is waaay different that mine or Derottones would (will?) be. The emphasis and value on education shown by virtually all "eastern" countries stands in stark contrast to the US's consumer-driven, lowest-common-denominator mentality.

I'm starting from zero every couple of years and starting to wonder why and what to do against it.  ;)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #19 on: October 25, 2022, 06:55:23 pm
In the immortal words of Pearl S. Buck (The Good Earth): "What is wealth? Wealth is a bag of rice..." ; i.e. you get to eat short term and maybe have something to plant in the Spring to grow more food with. Buck saw a LOT of poverty growing up in China. If you could manage to hang on to your seed stock thru the famine, you were in way better shape than most. You know...wealthy.

Save more, live cheap, expect less. At least (not yet...) we're not the folks dripping off from the Huey leaving Da Nang or the Starlifter leaving Kabul. If you have a safe place to sleep, some food to eat, you are sadly at the 90% percentile of existence already.

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: October 30, 2022, 12:51:51 pm
Revzilla has just published a detailed review of the 2023 Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello S. I am not too sure if the accessory top box does anything for the Mandello's looks. The hard bags look OK, though. I bet it will be a couple of years before MG can catch up with just the initial orders for this bike:  https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2023-moto-guzzi-v100-mandello-first-ride-motorcycle-review

BTW, I note that the top gear turns about the same revs at 65 mph as my Bullet.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: November 01, 2022, 09:11:41 pm
Motorcycle.com has just published a video review of the 2023 Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello S: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqcbgFbVmXc
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: November 01, 2022, 10:39:11 pm
Motorcycle.com has just published a video review of the 2023 Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello S: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqcbgFbVmXc

Thanks for posting that. The tester actually manages to pronounce Guzzy, (Gootsie) right at at the beginning of the video before reverting back to Goozie at the end as most who aren't that familiar with the marque tend to do. My favorite mispronunciation  is "Motor Guzie".  ;D.

As far as the bike goes, wow, just wow! Hope they get that quick shift glitch fixed soon!