Author Topic: just hit 5000 miles  (Read 2051 times)

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #15 on: November 09, 2022, 12:14:44 pm
I've had my say,  you've had yours. The OP can make his own mind up.
No, you've dissed a few people who said they'd keep using the damaged sprocket for a short time (BTDT). But you haven't backed yourself with any reason for taking that position. If you're just hearsaying, your input is as useless as a Fillingham's. So pray, do tell. The OP might benefit from whatever wisdom you have to share.

I don't mean to sound obnoxious but I'm a bit tired of the teeth sucking "I wouldn't do do that if was you" brigade. For all I know, you're really Roger de Coster and you have world titles under your belt.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #16 on: November 09, 2022, 01:01:18 pm
Nah, too much anger on the net. It's all entrenching, polarising, link tennis, name-calling....
If I said I was an engineer with decades of experience, and a lifelong biker, would it make any difference? Probably not. Somebody will still say that its ok because they did it once.
Fortunately the forum rules allow me to state an opinion, regardless.
If you or anyone else chooses to think its worthless or whatever, fine. Move on and ignore. It's just a motorbike forum.

On the same page about SF though! At least I haven't set up a channel for my un-backed up opinions! ;D

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #17 on: November 09, 2022, 09:47:21 pm
Nah, too much anger on the net. It's all entrenching, polarising, link tennis, name-calling....
If I said I was an engineer with decades of experience, and a lifelong biker, would it make any difference? Probably not. Somebody will still say that its ok because they did it once.
Fortunately the forum rules allow me to state an opinion, regardless.
If you or anyone else chooses to think its worthless or whatever, fine. Move on and ignore. It's just a motorbike forum.

On the same page about SF though! At least I haven't set up a channel for my un-backed up opinions! ;D

If you were and engineer, it might make all the difference in the world.
Take our very own lucky phil for example. You don't have to like him, but when he gives tech advice you can take it to the bank because he has the runs on the board. His opinions, on the other hand, are very much take it or leave it. But he doesn't present opinions as fact.
That's very much an internet thing. Fall for that and next thing, you're drinking bleach to cure flu. Meanwhile the opinion giver takes his bat and ball and runs home when he's asked to explain. 😉

Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #18 on: November 10, 2022, 02:43:11 am
I can't believe people are suggesting to keep using a sprocket that has two teeth missing.  ???
If the teeth aren't adjacent, and they didn't take a big chunk of the sprocket with them, I would definitely ride in favor of pushing or hiring transport.  If the damage is such that it's threatening to toss the chain off, or break it, that's another story.

I ride an old "skip tooth" Shelby Hiawatha regularly. (picture attached)  It's missing 26 teeth on the drive sprocket and 10 on the rear.  Gotta stand on the pedals to get up hills too.  If anything, it seems smoother than my bikes with 1/2" pitch setups.

To the OP:
I'm in Chicago, near the Irving Park exit of 90/94 on the NW side.  If you need some help with replacing that sprocket, I could volunteer.  I consider that a pretty easy job.  If there's any motorcycle I have owned, that makes the job of removing the rear wheel particularly easy it is my C5, although I have the drum brake version.  Show up with your replacement sprocket and take me out for lunch, and I'd be happy to help you, gratis..

Crabsapper

• Bulleteer
  • So many experts......
Reply #19 on: November 10, 2022, 05:21:25 pm
Quote from: gizzo
If you were and engineer, it might make all the difference in the world.
Take our very own lucky phil for example. You don't have to like him, but when he gives tech advice you can take it to the bank because he has the runs on the board. His opinions, on the other hand, are very much take it or leave it. But he doesn't present opinions as fact.
That's very much an internet thing. Fall for that and next thing, you're drinking bleach to cure flu. Meanwhile the opinion giver takes his bat and ball and runs home when he's asked to explain. 😉
You see, I don't agree with most of that, so working from a totally different base, it's going to end up that we agree to differ.
It's OK.

Rad Rich

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: November 10, 2022, 06:58:39 pm
first off,
Thanks again for all the advice.  All of the remaining teeth look fine.  The two missing teeth have three fine teeth in between them.  i plan on having it fixed next spring.  I have another bike to ride.  I will try the pull the chain off the sprocket thing.  Thanks again for the help!!  73 degrees in North West Indiana today.  Yeah baby!!

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #21 on: November 10, 2022, 08:33:32 pm
I had to look up the temperature conversion. 21 deg c. Perfect riding temperature!  8).
Have a good one.
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Rad Rich

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: November 16, 2022, 05:06:01 pm
Axman88,
Thank you so much for the offer.  I just might consider it.  I am a big fan of letting someone else's expertise guide my actions.  I just might have to DM you for a number.  I live in St. John, IN about 9 minutes off of 394 down Exchange road.  A nice lunch with a few beverages seems like a great deal!!

Thanks again,

Spitoonface

• Neophyte
Reply #23 on: November 21, 2022, 07:10:56 pm
Hi there Rad Rich, the same thing happened with my 2010 C5, there were 3 broken teeth ( 2 next to each other and 1 further round).
I left it for about 2000 miles, then the chain snapped. On investigation 8 more teeth snapped off which jammed into the chain. The chain and sprockets were in good condition prior to this event.
Further investigation revealed the teeth were very brittle, and I replaced it with Hitchcocks two part drum/ sprocket. No problems thousands of miles since.
Hope this helps you decide what action to take.
Mike.