Author Topic: adding lightness  (Read 16209 times)

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: February 01, 2023, 01:07:44 am
forecast for today was cloudy and 60f, so i was planning to go for a ride. but it was light sprinkling all day, so no go. :(
rest of the week is expected to be about the same, rain and/or chilly.  so likely no more riding for me this week.  :'(

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #46 on: February 01, 2023, 05:35:08 pm
I keep documenting how to make the bike lighter... Since you started the thread with that, figured I would share my updated list  :D

Weight reduction (still researching, all these numbers from other owners or product websites):

1. RK Takasago 520 pitch chain and sprocket set - 3 lbs lighter than stock
2. YSS rear suspension - 4 lbs lighter than stock
3. Lithium (LiFePO4) battery - 5.5 lbs lighter than stock - one option IMP08-X
4. Delkevic carbon fiber complete exhaust system - 10 lbs lighter than stock
5. Wheels - replace stock rims with aluminum replacements - 10 lbs
6. Tubeless setup - I think, have not weighted this, that getting rid of the inner tubes would save another - 5-8 lbs??
7. Going solo so will be removing passenger pegs - ? lbs ?
8. Removing bumper peak. I really do not get why RE added that... just for looks I am guessing. - ? lbs ?
9. Remove EVAP system - ? lbs ?
10. Hitchcock's Brake disc contoured for rear wheel. They claim it is lighter than the stock unit. - ? lbs?
11. Replace all hardware (nuts and bolts) with titanium hardware. On this one, as mentioned before, the cost is not worth the amount of weight loss.... but wanted to keep it on the list...
12. Bar ends - ? lbs ?

There... back to normal programming
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 05:40:01 pm by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko
‘21 Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
'19 BMW F 850 GS Adventure - Gone... Planning for a 2023/22 Himalayan next...

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #47 on: February 01, 2023, 08:43:57 pm
Left one out...

13. Royal Enfield Adventure handle bar in aluminum - they claim it is 20% less weight than stock handlebar
Ride safe!
Wachuko

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: February 01, 2023, 11:00:06 pm
I keep documenting how to make the bike lighter... Since you started the thread with that, figured I would share my updated list  :D
There... back to normal programming
fitting into the himalayan's target market as i do, (cheep cheep cheep) i will eventually do some of these, especially the "omit"s. it may be some time, as i first want to get to know the bike as it came from the factory.

meanwhile, if you think it's useful to stash your accumulated knowledge here, please feel free to do so. i even get to feel like i contributed to the knowledge base by asking the question, thank you very much! :D

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: February 08, 2023, 01:39:34 am
took himmy out for a ride, stopped at my friend bob's on the way. he's living the bachelor life, keeps his vulcan in the foyer. when i got to the park, the gate was closed. oops. still, a pleasant outing.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: February 23, 2023, 11:07:51 pm
went out for a ride to the end of long ferry road. i think this is High Rock Lake, formed by a hydroelectric dam. houses all along the shore, but i saw no public access to the river. still, pretty.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: March 23, 2023, 08:39:51 pm
it's a lovely day for a ride in the country.
first warm clear day for a while, decided to use it. went to confirm the route to the landfill. stopped on the way in a little town, just a wide spot in the road. convenience store, hair salon, junkyard including two damaged hondas, a suzuki and a nameless scooter. found a motorcycle speed shop just up the road, too. then rode on and yes, the landfill is still there.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #52 on: March 23, 2023, 09:53:02 pm
Good out-'n-about shots, thanks for those! Still pretty soggy over here in the Land 'o fruits, nuts & flakes.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #53 on: March 23, 2023, 11:02:36 pm
It is nice to get out.  Thank you for sharing photos
Ride safe!
Wachuko

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: April 16, 2023, 01:07:53 am
another lovely day for a ride in the country.
under the interstate to bringle ferry rd,
dan nickolas state park, then on to tamarack marina on high rock lake.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #55 on: April 16, 2023, 03:33:02 am
Nice! Looks like Spring has Sprung!  ;D
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: April 20, 2023, 02:38:07 am
starting to grow a list of things i might want to change. the curve of the seat slides me forward so my knees just touch the tank bars. and i noticed this last outing that my underwear/pants seams chafe in the crotch. no, i'm not going to ride pantsless. and i think i'd like eventually to lower the bike a bit, the CG feels higher than i like.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #57 on: April 20, 2023, 04:01:34 pm
starting to grow a list of things i might want to change. the curve of the seat slides me forward so my knees just touch the tank bars. and i noticed this last outing that my underwear/pants seams chafe in the crotch. no, i'm not going to ride pantsless. and i think i'd like eventually to lower the bike a bit, the CG feels higher than i like.

Interesting, I come from having a really top heavy bike... The Himalayan feels so light and nimble in comparison...  Nevertheless I continue to make modifications to make it lighter...

So far, things done that have shed weight off the bike:

1. Delkevic 14" complete exhaust system
2. Removed passenger pegs.  No need for those since I do not carry a passenger
3. Removed EVAP system
4. Installed Hitchcock's Brake disc contoured for rear wheel.
5. Installed Royal Enfield Adventure handle bar in aluminum
6. Installed Hitchcock's Air injection delete kit

Things done that have added weight to the bike:

1. GIVI crash bars
2. EBC brake pads (yeah, these turned out to be a bit heavier than stock pads)
3. GIVI side stand larger foot plate
4. Barkbusters handguards
5. Rear wheel hugger
6. Grip Puppies

Net weight lost so far: 2.57 lbs.  So at least I have not added weight to the bike...

Pending changes that will help to loose weight:

1. Lithium (LiFePO4) battery
2. Aluminum rims
3. Tubeless setup
4. Rear passenger seat removal to replaced with light weight pan.
5. If not needed, remove rear rack.  The replacement of the rear seat with a flat pan might be enough to place the luggage there.

Pending changes that will make the bike gain weight:

1. Panniers and brackets
2. Tank bag
3. Front side bags

And yes, I am also on a diet to loose another 20 lbs  :D
Ride safe!
Wachuko

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: April 21, 2023, 10:52:14 pm
Interesting, I come from having a really top heavy bike.

So far, things done that have shed weight off the bike:

And yes, I am also on a diet to lose another 20 lbs  :D
this is my 4th bike: kawasaki dual-purpose 175, yamaha dt400, and a kaw H1. all 2-strokes, i loved the simplicity. if there's ever a 5th bike it will likely be another H1, i scan the ads watching for one to rescue. all of these were lighter and lower than the himalayan, so my experience is skewed.
right now except for the hitchcock's battery-drain harness and the easily-removed battery cutoff, my himmy is as-purchased, and it will stay that way for a while. so as i ride it i'll get comfortable with it or not, and that will help make the decision whether there's a #5.
just as an aside, i've seen your posts on the himalayan USA FB page, that and here both look like useful resources.

wachuko

• Grand Gearhead
  • '21 Continental GT 650
Reply #59 on: April 24, 2023, 02:45:55 pm
this is my 4th bike: kawasaki dual-purpose 175, yamaha dt400, and a kaw H1. all 2-strokes, i loved the simplicity. if there's ever a 5th bike it will likely be another H1, i scan the ads watching for one to rescue. all of these were lighter and lower than the himalayan, so my experience is skewed.
right now except for the hitchcock's battery-drain harness and the easily-removed battery cutoff, my himmy is as-purchased, and it will stay that way for a while. so as i ride it i'll get comfortable with it or not, and that will help make the decision whether there's a #5.
just as an aside, i've seen your posts on the himalayan USA FB page, that and here both look like useful resources.

Kawasaki H1 - that is an interesting looking motorcycle with that exhaust setup.  Two pipes on one side, one on the other. Certainly lower, but the weight is not that far off from a Himalayan, well, closer to the weight of a Scram now that I look at the specs.
Ride safe!
Wachuko