Author Topic: adding lightness  (Read 16282 times)

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 30, 2022, 10:13:48 pm
this is all speculative since i've ridden the bike very little so far, but it seems overly tall and overly heavy to me. so at some point in the future i may decide to "fix" these issues. tall can be addressed with lowering links and fork adjustment, heavy can be addressed by replacing heavy components with lighter ones (muffler?LI battery?) or even omitting them altogether. i'm looking at you, tank guard bars, and you too, extra front fender, and maybe even you, handlebar weights. also maybe "tidying up" the tail, a la scram.

i expect you more experienced folks have opinions about all of this so please, do share. no hurry, take your time. and yes, i know, cut back on dessert. fat chance.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 01:43:36 am
Lightness (combined with HP...) is the forte of the high end $$$ folks like KTM & Husqvarna. The Himalayan is very competent within its operating range. The low end buy in provides you with good geometry, compliant suspension and mild traction promoting power and decent gear ratios. It also comes with a mild steel frame and manufacturing choices biased towards strength thru extra mass instead of exotic materials like tempered chromoly and carbon fiber.

Rider thinks the 31.5"seat height is fairly low for these types of bikes. The "tank guards" are actually carrier racks.
https://ridermagazine.com/2021/11/10/2022-royal-enfield-himalayan-first-ride-review/

Myself I'd keep it stock, maybe take off the bits you won't use and put them in a box. Ride it, maintain it, learn its quirks, appreciate what it does well. New high quality tires is about all the modding it needs, after the stock rubber wears down a bit. Chasing lightness is pointless when starting with low end hardware. R.E. did a great job with the Himalayan, especially for the price point. You can spend a lot of time & treasure and not get close to the high dollar boys; they started with a lot more base budget and retail for about 3x the price.

A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 01:46:21 pm
"take off the bits you won't use and put them in a box."

good, good. anyone else?

jadofind

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 07:50:17 pm
A perception of excess weight suggests that you arrived at a Himalayan from a different route than I did. My previous mount was a V-Strom 650, which was bordering on worrisome weight if more than 5-10 degrees off vertical at a stop. The Himalayan is wonderfully light and short by comparison. I did notice when replacing a few broken and bent spokes on the rear wheel, that its weight surprised me. I haven't detached the front wheel, but wouldn't be surprised if it was also a bit on the heavy side. Finding and installing suitable aluminum rims might be one way to lighten up the bike a bit. However, it was only noticeable when I had the wheel off (like the roof that only leaks when it rains).
2021 Himalayan
2014 Yamaha XVS950

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 04:51:47 am
check the rims, check.

oldphart

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 08:34:24 am
The stock wheels are stupidly heavy as I discovered recently when changing the tyres. Get some tubeless wheels while you're at it.
Grandpa Slow

2021 Classic 500

Morgan65

• Grease Monkey
  • USA
Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 05:30:16 pm
this is all speculative since i've ridden the bike very little so far, but it seems overly tall and overly heavy to me. so at some point in the future i may decide to "fix" these issues. tall can be addressed with lowering links and fork adjustment, heavy can be addressed by replacing heavy components with lighter ones (muffler?LI battery?) or even omitting them altogether. i'm looking at you, tank guard bars, and you too, extra front fender, and maybe even you, handlebar weights. also maybe "tidying up" the tail, a la scram.

i expect you more experienced folks have opinions about all of this so please, do share. no hurry, take your time. and yes, i know, cut back on dessert. fat chance.

I was thinking of doing just that two years ago if I could find a Himmy that I can pick up cheap.  Maybe one that had been crashed.   

I think now it’ll be best to just trade it in on the new 412 Sram.
REs I currently own:
2007 AVL Bullet Electra Gray
2010 Bullet G5 Deluxe Black
2017 535 GT Continental Red
2018 Himalayan White
2018 Pegasus Green
2024 650 Super Meteor Celestial Blue

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2022, 11:23:34 am
I think now it’ll be best to just trade it in on the new 412 Sram.
likely the easiest way to get there if that's where you want to go.

right now my battery has died from sitting for 3 weeks. charger failed o save it. i've got family business to attend to in florida, so it may just continue to sit for the next month or so. obviously a battery cutoff is in my future, but there's not much room under there. maybe on the left, glued to the back of the side cover?
focus, man, focus!

BJMS

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: August 30, 2022, 11:54:14 am

Sounds like you should swap it for a Scram.
Lower, (a little bit) lighter, no extra front fender, no tank bars, no rear rack etc.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 01:52:35 pm
Lower, (a little bit) lighter, no extra front fender, no tank bars, no rear rack etc.
maybe so.

zefnerd

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: August 30, 2022, 11:01:21 pm
The front screen was dropped, front wheel reduced to 19", and probably the biggest weight saver, dropped the inclusion of a centerstand. They dropped about 10 kilo.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: August 31, 2022, 10:23:44 am
The front screen was dropped, front wheel reduced to 19", and probably the biggest weight saver, dropped the inclusion of a centerstand. They dropped about 10 kilo.
don't know that i'd want to ditch the center stand.

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: September 13, 2022, 03:23:09 pm
cobbled up a battery cutoff for when thing settle enough to pursue this again

him a layin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: October 19, 2022, 01:16:38 pm
connected my home-brew battery cutoff and it seems to work.
and an aside: momentarily swapped the battery terminals by accident, key in pocket, and heard what i think was the fuel pump running. interesting wiring on this beast.

mitch49

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: November 10, 2022, 02:25:25 pm
Get some tubeless wheels while you're at it.

New guy here with a question. Will the alloy wheels from the  Meteor fit the Scram? I'm concerned about brake caliper placement.They are tubless... Would the alloy rims from the 650 work? This would get rid of the caliper problem but would it cause a problem with the different size rims and the speedo and ABS?? I guess you wold need need new spokes also..
tnx
mitch
I'm doing so good I can't stand it!!