Author Topic: Estimate on GT 535  (Read 2531 times)

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
on: May 19, 2022, 06:57:05 am
Hi ya all ,   Had an elderly gentleman bring this 2014 GT 535 into work today, this is the first one I have ever seen in the flesh.  Took it for a little ride fun bike that gets a bit of attention , still had stock tyres and experienced some tram lining like I had read here before .

Here's a couple of average pics , it's very tidy like new some might say, especially when it gets new tyres. 6000km one owner.   The Ol chap wants to sell so what's it worth , and before you all wet ya pants its in New Zealand.

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 06:57:59 am
Pic 2

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 10:54:58 am
Offer him 6k and see what happens.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 01:12:14 am
Offer him 6k and see what happens.

Seeing as how they cost $5,999 (USD) brand new, an offer of "6k" as our "Man Down Under" Gizzo suggests, just seems exorbitantly high to my thrifty Yankee ears. Yet, I am led to understand that you gents down far yonder in the Antipodes have your own dollars that go down the toilet spiralling the other way 'round or something and might think nothing of spending what could sound to me like the equivalent of a semester's tuition at Harvard or the down payment on a home for something called a "beef pie". But perhaps this NADA vehicles value guide listing for low and average values of that year and model may, perhaps with a little fair and appropriate currency conversion, save you a few of your "dollars" emblazoned with what appear to be fearsome kiwis or some sort of ambulatory beanbag with a bill, https://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2014/Royal-Enfield/CONTINENTAL-GT-CAFE-RACER-535cc/Values. I should also mention that another similar industry standard values guide known as Kelley' Blue Book  simply claims the value of an "average condition" one as $2,800 (Americano): https://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/royal-enfield/continental-gt-cafe-racer/2014/

Kia Ora!

Meanwhile in America...

« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 01:50:12 am by Bilgemaster »
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 05:02:20 am
Seeing as how they cost $5,999 (USD) brand new, an offer of "6k" as our "Man Down Under" Gizzo suggests, just seems exorbitantly high to my thrifty Yankee ears. Yet, I am led to understand that you gents down far yonder in the Antipodes have your own dollars that go down the toilet spiralling the other way 'round or something and might think nothing of spending what could sound to me like the equivalent of a semester's tuition at Harvard or the down payment on a home for something called a "beef pie". But perhaps this NADA vehicles value guide listing for low and average values of that year and model may, perhaps with a little fair and appropriate currency conversion, save you a few of your "dollars" emblazoned with what appear to be fearsome kiwis or some sort of ambulatory beanbag with a bill, https://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2014/Royal-Enfield/CONTINENTAL-GT-CAFE-RACER-535cc/Values. I should also mention that another similar industry standard values guide known as Kelley' Blue Book  simply claims the value of an "average condition" one as $2,800 (Americano): https://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/royal-enfield/continental-gt-cafe-racer/2014/

Kia Ora!

Meanwhile in America...

Sure, but it was a 10K bike in Au so I'm guessing about the same in NZ. This one's done 2/5 of 5/8 of fuck all mileage so 6k seems like a fair offer to me. I'll take all the ones you have at $2800, thanks.
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 06:13:00 am
Gizzo you are right these were a bit under 11k here in NZ . The Ol chap is hoping for 7k but who knows what he may get bikes are up in value here at the moment, I have no interest in purchasing it just to learn about and sell it for him.

Bilgemaster Kia Ora and Nau mai Hoki mai 😉

SMLE535

• Scooter
  • Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 06:35:00 am
Gizzo you are right these were a bit under 11k here in NZ . The Ol chap is hoping for 7k but who knows what he may get bikes are up in value here at the moment, I have no interest in purchasing it just to learn about and sell it for him.

Bilgemaster Kia Ora and Nau mai Hoki mai 😉

The very few that are on sale here in Oz are between $6k and $7k. The old chap is on the money so to speak
Freo WA
Ducati 500 Pantah
Ducati GT750
Ducati 996 SP
Continental GT535

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 03:51:07 pm
My hunch is that whatever and wherever the going rate for one of those old Conti 535 singles may be now, it'll likely be far more later as they become "exotic collectibles". For now everyone seems to be taken with the new twins or J-engine Meteor or "Classic" singles, while those pretty and "grunty" little Conti singles as the brand's former "performance option" have fallen a bit into the shadows. But I expect as those newfangled models make further inroads into export markets and thereby increase brand recognition, knowledge and interest in those earlier models may also increase. This has certainly already been the case with my old Bullet. When I first got it back in 2017 scarcely anyone I met had ever even heard of the "Royal Enfield" marque, even at those "Bikes and Breakfast" gatherings. This is no longer the case, and values (or at least asking prices) seem to be creeping ever upwards...certainly for the Iron Barrels, which are getting a lot harder to find. I expect it's just a matter of time before the aesthetic and modestly attenuated and "visceral" performance virtues of the old Conti singles make them much more sought after. And like they say, "they ain't makin' no more of 'em."
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2022, 04:27:15 pm

Kia Ora!

Meanwhile in America...

I hear what you are saying Bilgemaster but....  go find one for $2800.  You won't.  These are selling at a premium.  Low mileage CGT 535's are getting between $5 and $6K right now.

KD5ITM

• Financial Problem Solver - Life Insurance, Mortgage Protection, Retirement Protection
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 08:44:34 pm
Seeing that it still has the stock pipe and muffler, I assume it doesn’t have the “Stage 1 Performance Kit” (what RE use to refer to as the Power Commander 5, free flow pipe and muffler, K&N filter) installed.  In my opinion, having the Stage 1 Performance Kit installed, which would allow someone a much easier option to tune the bike on a dino.  Having the kit installed I would think would add some value and make the bike a little more desirable to a buyer. 

Having 3,700 miles on it, and if its super clean with no scratches or hazing of the paint, especially on the top of the tank.  Here in the us, a ‘14 GT cost $6,000 at the dealer.  I would have no problem, as is, asking $5,000.  That allows you plenty of room to take a good offer from someone. 

My ‘14 GT has the English made Stainless Steel free flow pipe and muffler from Hitchcock's, as well as the Stage 1 Performance Kit (Power Commander 5, free flow pipe and muffler, K&N filter).  It also has the optional 7 inch head light and bar end mirrors. It has right at 12,000 miles.  The bike is just as clean as the day I bought it new from the dealer, never been in the rain, detailed before and after each ride, still with the stock Sport Demond tires (which I have worked flawless for me).  Oil change done regularly between 1,500 - 2,000 miles. It has the Duracell battery (lighter and more amperage compared to the stock battery).

I would have absolute no problem asking between $6,000 - $7,000 for it.
2014 Continental GT 535
1979 Hurst/Olds W-30 “R” code
1967 Oldsmobile 442 W-30
1964 Volvo B18 544 Sport
1961 Willys Jeep Wagon

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #10 on: July 26, 2022, 11:47:50 am
Seeing as how they cost $5,999 (USD) brand new, an offer of "6k"......and might think nothing of spending what could sound to me like the equivalent of a semester's tuition at Harvard ][/img]

A semester at Harvard? Hell, that's a semester at URI now

But that's still a really purdy bike
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

StreetKleaver

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: July 27, 2022, 02:28:06 pm
Hey mate

If this is any help. I paid $5800AUD for my 2014 with 20,000km's. It had a aftermarket silencer and a few bits. But very basic.

Just to give you a idea. So $6000NZD seems pretty close.

Ben
59 Club UK/Australia
Instagram : @modern_day_rocker

Mr_84

• Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: July 28, 2022, 10:17:08 am
Funnily enough the ol chap wasn't quite ready to sell just yet , he loves it ! , a very tidy machine it is too . It will be a good one to get when it finally come to market .

ozpacman

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: September 10, 2022, 01:32:05 pm
Seeing that it still has the stock pipe and muffler, I assume it doesn’t have the “Stage 1 Performance Kit” (what RE use to refer to as the Power Commander 5, free flow pipe and muffler, K&N filter) installed.

That's the same muffler as on my bike and apparently it's a genuine RE sports muffler. It puts out quite a nice sound. The previous owner of my bike had it fitted from brand new. He gave me the stock one in a box with the bike and it has the full heat shield, whereas the 'sports muffler' has the wire type guard on top.
2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT 535, 2017 Royal Enfield B5 Bullet 500, 2014 Victory Cross Country Tour, 2000 H-D Road King, 2005 H-D Lowrider, 2003 Suzuki SV1000, 2003 Aprilia SL1000R, 1977 Honda CB750K7, plus a handful of other ones that I can't afford to have registered!

Marcosgt

• Scooter
  • Aged rocker
Reply #14 on: September 10, 2022, 06:29:29 pm
Cunningly hidden out of sight on this type off muffler is legend ‘For closed course riding only. Not for road use’. May be a problem at vehicle inspection time in NZ?

Here in UK, flea bay regularly features several dealer offerings for 535’s and a bike carrying this mileage would go for around £3000 (roughly 6000NZD). My own 535 (2014 with 20,000 Kms) bought privately for £2750 with brand new tyres and ‘full service’ history. My bike came with the above extremely heavy sports muffler which now houses the garage spider colony and now sports a goldstar replica unit, courtesy of Mr Hitchcock.

Captain Bob

• Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: November 14, 2022, 01:07:50 am

Kia Ora!   Quote

That may be what the Blue Book says but go find one for $2800.  Won't happen.  Not rare but not a ton of them for sale.  Lowest priced one I have seen is $4800.  Highest price is over $6K.  prices over here have gone a bit squirrely lately.  I refused an offer on my 2014 for $5.5K.