Author Topic: Avatar Pictures  (Read 2403 times)

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
on: March 02, 2022, 04:37:11 am
Bilgemaster, oh great and powerful one, why are our avatar pictures fuzzy when everything else we post in the way of pictures comes out clear? Asking for a friend.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 07:51:08 pm
I've noticed this on a few forums, defocused or reduced pixel avatar images.  I assume this is to protect our identities if we choose to show our faces in our images.

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 09:03:19 am
The avatar photos are just a very small file size to give a profile picture. They need to be this small size as they get loaded onto everyone's screen throughout a thread/topic, its quite normal across all of these platforms to operate in this way.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 06:36:49 pm
Not a big complaint as the price of admission (free) at this forum for all the information gained is reasonable. I only mentioned it because any other site I'm on the avatar pictures are crystal clear and wondered if some simple tweak here would fix that.

akw

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 07:46:15 pm
I think it's because the the forum scales the avatar images to 90px wide, but the space for the avatar in the layout is 150px wide so the browser scales up the image to fit the space.  Because the image is scaled up from a smaller copy it looses quality so they all look blurry.

If there is a setting in the forum to scale avatars to 150px wide instead of 90px it will make them look crisp and not take much additional bandwidth.

You can see this if you right click on the avatar image and open the image itself.  It's smaller than what it appears on the forum.

Hope that helps.

Dantheman

• Administrator
  • Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 03:34:52 pm
I think it's because the the forum scales the avatar images to 90px wide, but the space for the avatar in the layout is 150px wide so the browser scales up the image to fit the space.  Because the image is scaled up from a smaller copy it looses quality so they all look blurry.

If there is a setting in the forum to scale avatars to 150px wide instead of 90px it will make them look crisp and not take much additional bandwidth.

You can see this if you right click on the avatar image and open the image itself.  It's smaller than what it appears on the forum.

Hope that helps.

Excellent post, I have updated this now. Its not going to improve the avatars which are currently in use, but for any new avatars uploaded the image quality should be more crisp.

Bilgemaster

• Just some guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • 2005 Bullet 500ES in "Mean Green" Military Trim
Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 03:51:46 pm
Thanks Dan! You're an Admin's Admin.
So badass my Enfield's actually illegal  in India. Yet it squeaks by here in Virginia.

Karl Childers

• Ghost in the machine.
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 11:36:08 pm
Yes many thanks to all, my avatar picture is looking bright and sharp!

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 03:12:18 am
StefArmstg has a nice, crisp example of an avatar!
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 04:21:05 pm
A BIGGO +1 to #6 & #7 - Thanks!
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.