Author Topic: BSA  (Read 16882 times)

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
  • a journey of a thousand li starts under one's feet
Reply #135 on: July 29, 2022, 12:34:33 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UsnMyC0R1Y

2022 BSA Gold Star - classic biker gives us her first ride impression
In this video we catch up Maria Hull and she gives us her first ride impression on the 2022 BSA Gold Star 650.

Location for this video is Millbrook Proving Ground in Bedfordshire, UK.

// ABOUT THE CLASSIC MOTORCYCLE CHANNEL
The Classic Motorcycle Channel is for people who love classic, vintage and antique motorcycles. We are passionate about classic motorcycles and produce high quality motorcycle profile videos, restoration videos, restorer profile videos and also anything that takes our interest.
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #136 on: August 01, 2022, 03:09:59 am
Jeezus it's a heavy thing, innit?
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #137 on: August 01, 2022, 07:03:12 am
I thought so too, but dry weight specs put the Gold Star at 198 Kg. vs. the Interceptor at 207 Kg. dry. It's the +$1,500 differential I can't get past. As it's a single, it seems like the CG would have to be higher than for a very similar twin. Anyway - if the prices were closer, I'm sure BSA would pick up some incipient RE riders. It does look to be a very nice bike, but so is the 6-speed, 47 HP  Interceptor...
A trifecta of Pre-Unit Bullets: a Red Deluxe 500, a Green Standard 500, and a Black ES 350.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #138 on: August 01, 2022, 07:36:31 pm
I thought so too, but dry weight specs put the Gold Star at 198 Kg. vs. the Interceptor at 207 Kg. dry. It's the +$1,500 differential I can't get past.
We are seeing UK prices of ~£6000 - £6500 for the Interceptor, against announced pricing of £6500 - £7000 for the BSAs.

That's only roughly a £500 difference, $615 US dollars at todays exchange rates.

It's not fair to compare currency converted UK pricing to USA pricing.  Our British brothers have to pay more for everything, ... except maybe health care?

Classic Legends has yet to announce any concrete plans to enter any market except Great Britain.  If they only plan on making 3000 machines a year, (which should be plenty to meet demand in that market), they should darn right be pricing them high.

I think it would be pretty difficult to achieve much market penetration in the USA going to market with as few dealers as Lukas Distribution has right now.   https://www.lukasdistribution.co.uk/store-locator   Seven doesn't seem like enough even for a place the size of England.  I understand that RENA now has 90 dealers in the US and Canada.  I wonder how, and IF Classic Legends will "deal"  with distribution in North America?  Mahindra does have almost 800 tractor dealers in the USA.  That idea worked for Sooraj, back in the day, and before RE decided to muscle in on the diesel bike action.  https://www.bikes4sale.in/details/vintage-bike/sooraj-diesel/

StefArmstg

• Bulleteer
Reply #139 on: August 01, 2022, 08:13:57 pm
I love classic bikes, retro bikes, and big singles.  But a water-cooled Goldie is Wrong.  I think the age of the classic road single may have officially ended.  The future belongs to the Dual Sports and "bug" bikes (KTM and Husky).

RE managed to build a nice mid-sized, air-cooled twin.  But as has been pointed out, many 650 owners find it inadequate in it's stock form.  Governmental regulations and modern expectations are relegating elemental motorcycling to the tiddler class.  That's a shame.
650 Interceptor
Past favorites:
HD DuoGlide,  Norton Commando
Yamaha SR500,  Cagiva Elefant
HD Sportster,  RE Bullet

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #140 on: August 01, 2022, 10:47:59 pm
@ #138: What makes Brit-sold RE 650's almost $2K USD more than over here? VAT?  That's around 30% more, yowza!

I agree, if the differential is a mere $600 or so USD, then the BSA Gold Star has a chance at eroding some RE sales.

Richard230

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #141 on: August 01, 2022, 11:43:34 pm
My thought is that the new BSA is priced at what the manufacturer and/or importer feels that the market will bear.
2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM Duke 390, 2002 Yamaha FZ1

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #142 on: August 02, 2022, 01:19:39 am
What's the driver for the US/UK 30% price diff on new bikes?

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #143 on: August 02, 2022, 01:57:43 am

VAT is 20% but you cannot just deduct 20% it does not work that way. The ex-VAT price is going to be the VAT Price over 1.2 and if you do the math you end up with the pre-VAT difference being just 8% which is easily accounted for by higher freight or the distribution chain having higher costs or maybe just blame Brexit.

axman88

• Grand Gearhead
  • Vintage Motorcycle Fan
Reply #144 on: August 02, 2022, 03:57:40 pm
I don't know.  I started looking for reasons but haven't found much yet.

For a true comparison, we should be comparing out the door pricing.  US dealers charge substantial fees and taxes, an extra $1000 or more on a $6k bike isn't uncommon.   Perhaps some of that is rolled into list price in the UK?

Another factor is probably transportation.  Anything coming from Asia by sea, has a closer, easier journey over the Pacific to CA, vs around Cape Hope to European ports.  Insurance rates are probably lower for the pacific journey.

I also think that the UK market is more regulated than the US, there are more riders using their machines as transportation, vs recreation, and the 2nd hand market is less populous.  All these factors support higher pricing, as does the existence of fewer dealers.

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #145 on: August 02, 2022, 08:58:15 pm
The price hike should be about 500% in both countries if you ask me, there is no reason for anyone with an IQ of 70 (like me) to slave for imbeciles.  ;D

« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 09:02:21 pm by derottone »

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #146 on: August 02, 2022, 09:24:48 pm
An actual Franklin quote - well done sir!
https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Franklin/01-06-02-0107#:~:text=Those%20who%20would%20give%20up,deserve%20neither%20Liberty%20nor%20Safety.

https://mn.gov/mnddc/parallels2/pdf/70s/74/74-NNS-PCR_Chapter_3.pdf
With the introduction of the intelligence test, developed by Binet in France, and brought to this country by Goddard, it became an accepted practice to relate these three terms to specific I.Q. scores *—idiot for those scoring below 25, imbecile 25 to 50, and moron 50-70/75.  ;D ;D ;D

I'm not following the "500% price hike" stratagem; Mahindra BSA Gold Star sales affect you how, exactly...?  :(

Arschloch

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...all is lost
Reply #147 on: August 02, 2022, 09:33:23 pm
Actually the Mahindra Gold Star sales leave me totally unimpressed. I strongly suspect should I see some of them regularly on the road anywhere near that would mean some nukes must have been dropped on a few of our neighboring countries.  ;) ;D

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #148 on: August 03, 2022, 12:33:22 am
An actual Franklin quote - well done sir!
https://founders.archives.gov/documents/Franklin/01-06-02-0107#:~:text=Those%20who%20would%20give%20up,deserve%20neither%20Liberty%20nor%20Safety.

https://mn.gov/mnddc/parallels2/pdf/70s/74/74-NNS-PCR_Chapter_3.pdf
With the introduction of the intelligence test, developed by Binet in France, and brought to this country by Goddard, it became an accepted practice to relate these three terms to specific I.Q. scores *—idiot for those scoring below 25, imbecile 25 to 50, and moron 50-70/75.  ;D ;D ;D

I'm not following the "500% price hike" stratagem; Mahindra BSA Gold Star sales affect you how, exactly...?  :(

IQ tests pretty much measure ones ability to do IQ tests.

There is some correlation with academic success, though other personality traits like the ability to stay focussed on long term goals feature strongly.

There is minimal correlation with real world success.  The biggest factor in real success appears to be related to what the popular press have called EQ.  Your ability to relate with other people and understand them is more important than high intelligence. In terms of management the biggest factor that assists people getting to upper management is a degree of ruthlessness that can approach sociopathetic.

AzCal Retred

• Chennai Wrencher
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #149 on: August 03, 2022, 04:14:18 am
"In terms of management the biggest factor that assists people getting to upper management is a degree of ruthlessness that can approach sociopathic."

A hearty +1 there, GlennF. Sounds like we've worked for similar organizations. "Rules are for losers."